Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/14/2023 3:23:18 PM EDT
My Kroger consistently kicks Costco’s butt on meat. Is my math wrong?

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s not always the cheapest, it’s usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You bought something on sale from one place and are comparing it to another place's normal price?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$16 a pound versus $13?
View Quote

$5.99/lb on sale, look at the sticker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Kroger's meat sucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve found costco isn’t a great deal on perishables. We mainly use them for non-perishables and frozen stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I sometimes shop at Kroger, other times at Costco. Costco's quality is consistently higher.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Comparing sale price at one store with regular price at another store?

Come on now...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?
View Quote

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like peasant food!
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet Costco gas is cheaper than Kroger's!

After that, check Kroger's price on a cooked hot dog and fountain drink combo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve found costco isn’t a great deal on perishables. We mainly use them for non-perishables and frozen stuff.
View Quote

Their prime steak guys are great, can’t be beat. . I can’t go back to choice. Haven’t bought choice in over a decade.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.
View Quote

Going by o.p.’s picture, I’d say you are correct.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Kroger meat...
"Choice"...
On sale meat...

Hard pass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Choice beef. Costco often sells prime.
Maybe that's the difference?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
They aren't even the same product...  sheesh.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
"With Card"

They make money on selling all your habits. What is the price if you don't want the butthole inspection by the grocery store?

Can you walk into Kroger any day of the week any time of the year and get that price?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Their prime steak guys are great, can’t be beat. . I can’t go back to choice. Haven’t bought choice in over a decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I usually get 4 prime steaks there for ~$60.  That's much cheaper than eating out somewhere and is much higher quality.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
OP is tarded.

Kroger meat is $15.99 per pound when not on sale.

Costco meat is $13.49 per pound when not on sale.

Also the weight between the 2 packages is not even close to each other, making the price difference (not including Kroger discount) even larger.

Both are choice grade however.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I'm going to start tracking gas prices next.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not always the cheapest, it's usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale  Costco puts meat on sale too. What's the point of all this?

I've been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I'm going to start tracking gas prices next.
Thats because Kroger sells shitty meat. Fuck that. I just buy from a local rancher, but if hes out its Costco for me. Unlkess I need shit meat for guests I dont really want at my house, those people get Kroger cuts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
My experience with Fry's (Kroger) ribeyes and NY strip ranges from mediocre to really bad. Their "sirloin" is worse than shoe leather. I've stopped buying steaks from there altogether. Costco is more expensive but worth it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Costco has sales too. Heck, there are some other grocery stores that sometimes beat Kroger sales too!
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Their prime steak guys are great, can't be beat. . I can't go back to choice. Haven't bought choice in over a decade.
View Quote
Costco choice ribeye is usually better than Kroger prime ribeye.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"With Card"

They make money on selling all your habits. What is the price if you don't want the butthole inspection by the grocery store?

Can you walk into Kroger any day of the week any time of the year and get that price?
View Quote
My Wegmans card hasn't been updated in decades.  If they don't ask for ID when getting "the card" just fill out any 'ol info on the app.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I see Kroger $15.99/lb and Costco $13.49/lb.  If you open up your buying to things that expire tomorrow or yesterday, additional cost savings are possible.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol, are the Kroger steaks 1/4 inch thick?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  I usually get 4 prime steaks there for ~$60.  That's much cheaper than eating out somewhere and is much higher quality.
View Quote

I’m not seeing Prime NY strip for less than $19/lb at my local club.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll stick to eating my own beef.  BTW if anyone is interested in a 1/2 or 1/4 this fall in sw Indiana PM me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Whole prime rib roasts and prime briskets.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Costco has good meat but they have never been known to be the cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choice is for the poors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
How is $15.99 cheaper than $13.49?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

I like Kroger but Costco does a better job with Q/C on their Kirkland products
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#35]
In my experience Costco can be cheaper for certain items, but most steaks I've seen there were not any cheaper (at least as far as I can recall). But, as others have said, I've noticed that Costco sells some good cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My experience with Fry's (Kroger) ribeyes and NY strip ranges from mediocre to really bad. Their "sirloin" is worse than shoe leather. I've stopped buying steaks from there altogether. Costco is more expensive but worth it.
View Quote
HEB is the same way. I don't buy meat there unless I can't make it to costco. Even the frozen chicken is better at Costco.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't shop there, simple solution.  BTW, the gas savings will pay for the membership by itself, several times over.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like prime also for guest or special treats. I usually eat choice because I’m eating steak probably 9 or more meals a week. “Carnivore diet”.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Costco's beef comes from Cargill.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Is Costco plural now?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.
View Quote

Correct.

You wanna know how I know the OP wasn't in FFA or done any meat judging?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.
View Quote

Exactly.
Guess what, if OP went to a local butcher it would be more expensive than Costco.

Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Costco "Blade Tenderized" no thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is Costco plural now?
View Quote

In the south it’s referred to as “The Costco”.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My Kroger consistently kicks Costco’s butt on meat. Is my math wrong?

https://i.imgur.com/scyQuHk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1iNsoA5.jpg
View Quote

You didn’t do well in school did you.

Couple of things compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Compare price per pound.

Second compare quality,  Costco will beat 95% of what’s out there.  Kroger will over estimate the quality and Costco will under estimate their products.  

Many of the beef thats choice at Costco is prime anywhere else.

The only questionable issue with Costco is their meat is blade tenderized.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is Costco plural now?
View Quote

It's right next to Aldi's
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Costco "Blade Tenderized" no thanks.
View Quote

What’s that all about?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#49]
That Kroger meat look like trash.  Like the last of the meat after all the other stores bought the better cuts.  

Also their regular price is higher then Costco.

You arent seriously comparing a sale to regular prices?  GD never disappoints with showing the intelligence of the regular population.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That Kroger meat look like trash.  Like the last of the meat after all the other stores bought the better cuts.  

Also their regular price is higher then Costco.

You arent seriously comparing a sale to regular prices?  GD never disappoints with showing the intelligence of the regular population.
View Quote

The short bus riders always out themselves

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top