Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Costco plural now?
View Quote

No its possessive, Costco's.

Krogers's meat sucks regardless of grammar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Man I got a cast iron sear down to protection and prefer that over charcoal. All the beef tallow and Irish butter taste awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Costco "Blade Tenderized" no thanks.

What’s that all about?

It makes it much more tender. you can’t beat Costco prime steaks for quality. Better than any high end steak place.

I’ve never had a steak better than the ones I grill at home. Including 100 bucks per steak super high end.

I've never had a prime ribeye and thought this needs to be much more tender. What makes "super high end" steaks is the aging process.

And I’ll say again I’ve never had a better steak than a Costco prime I grill at home. Why?

I pick the cut (this is more important than everything else)
I season the way I like
I cook to perfect doneness
I cook over charcoal

Man I got a cast iron sear down to protection and prefer that over charcoal. All the beef tallow and Irish butter taste awesome.

It’s whatever you prefer. But Costco has very high quality prime cuts.

I’ll pick over every single package to find the best cut.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Costco beef generally is not cheaper than special sale items at grocery stores but it will always taste better than Kroger meat
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Costco beef has gotten expensive and ive never been impressed with the quality. Their ground beef is still a decent deal.
View Quote

Uhh. I get usda prime strip and ribeye here for 13-14/lb.

Where else you gonna get prime steaks for that price?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because like one poster pointed out Costco is like a cult and plenty of people are drinking the cool aid. With their $1 hotdogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s not always the cheapest, it’s usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.

So, why does Kroger have to constantly put their meat on sale - but Costco doesnt?

Because like one poster pointed out Costco is like a cult and plenty of people are drinking the cool aid. With their $1 hotdogs.

So to the people who shop at both stores and are saying Costco has better steaks you are saying they are wrong and are just fatty cultist who like cheap hotdogs?

No joke the choice steaks at Costco are just as good if not better than any prime cuts at Krogers.
That is a fact.

Also I don't F with the Costco food court, get me the F out of that place. Not everyone bothers with the food court there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Meat expert, huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.

Correct.

You wanna know how I know the OP wasn't in FFA or done any meat judging?

I know it's bad, but what visual clues give it away? The coloring, the fat distribution? I wasn't in FFA.

I'm no expert, but visually, you want the cut to be a light cherry red color and finely dispursed marbling.

You'll notice a color difference and marbling difference between the two cuts.  The Kroger is lighter color and the chunks of fat are larger within the cut as opposed to the Costco cut--even though they are both listed as Choice.

Meat expert, huh?

I like meat in my mouf
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been a member for 4-5 years but this year is probably my last.  My rewards check will cover my membership, so it's "free", but there's not really anything there that I can't get anywhere else.  I did buy my refrigerator there a few months ago, but that's about it outside of normal groceries and gas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So to the people who shop at both stores and are saying Costco has better steaks you are saying they are wrong and are just fatty cultist who like cheap hotdogs?

No joke the choice steaks at Costco are just as good if not better than any prime cuts at Krogers.
That is a fact.

Also I don't F with the Costco food court, get me the F out of that place. Not everyone bothers with the food court there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s not always the cheapest, it’s usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.

So, why does Kroger have to constantly put their meat on sale - but Costco doesnt?

That is a fact.

Kroger doesn’t sell usda prime. At least here. Their steak sucks. Only thing worse is Walmart steaks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
No one else has mentioned it, so I will. Surprising because it’s even circled.

Look at the sell by dates. OP got a deal on fire sale meat literally no one else wanted to buy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Yellow tag sale meat.  Shit is going to turn into worms the next day and be full of magots.  

Okay....
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No one else has mentioned it, so I will. Surprising because it’s even circled.

Look at the sell by dates. OP got a deal on fire sale meat literally no one else wanted to buy.
View Quote

It would make a good Philly cheese steak, stroganoff, or stir fry.

Steak?  You’re jaws will be hurting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You bought 3 $4 steaks. Costco is selling 3 $20 steaks.  
What's the difference, you may ask?  About $16 a steak.
Our friendly staff is always available if you need additional assistance.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Before covid, Sams was selling choice brisket for $4-5/lb
Kroger and HEB was selling choice brisket for under $3/lb.
Sams Prime brisket was $9/lb and HEB prime brisket was $4.
Sams ground beef prices were high as well

Prices are almost close to then today.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yellow tag sale meat.  Shit is going to turn into worms the next day and be full of magots.  

Okay....
View Quote

You know, I've had a few decent on a whim meals by buying the discounted almost expired meat from Kroger/Pick N Save.

Then again I'm not picky and aren't part of the tender tummy brigade.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kroger doesn't sell usda prime. At least here. Their steak sucks. Only thing worse is Walmart steaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not always the cheapest, it's usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale  Costco puts meat on sale too. What's the point of all this?

I've been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I'm going to start tracking gas prices next.

That is a fact.

Kroger doesn't sell usda prime. At least here. Their steak sucks. Only thing worse is Walmart steaks.

My Kroger doesn't have prime steaks, but they have Waygu. A good Waygu...not the Waygu that looks like any other rib eye but at Waygu price Waygu. Had lots of marbling. I paid $18 for 1/2lb steak.
That thing melted in my mouth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Uhh. I get usda prime strip and ribeye here for 13-14/lb.

Where else you gonna get prime steaks for that price?
View Quote

Indy location here

12.99 NY - choice
13.99 ribeye - choice

Whole primals are only 50 cents cheaper per #

Prime grade was in the low $20s iirc. This was 2-3 weeks ago last I was in there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.

Correct.

I’ve never done either but I’m picky about meat. For me a big part of preparing a great meal is selecting great ingredients. It’s hard to polish a turd.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know it's bad, but what visual clues give it away? The coloring, the fat distribution? I wasn't in FFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Both of those are a big part of selecting a good steak. The Kroger steaks in the OPs picture are kind of grey with next to no marbled fat. Pull up a picture of a wagyu steak and compare it. Now the wagyu is going to be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from those crappy Kroger steaks but you’ll get the idea. The Kroger steaks are marked choice but that’s definitely a generous rating for those steaks. Our way of grading meat leaves a lot to be desired. If you know what to look for you can find some great deals on choice steaks that have beautiful color with nice intramuscular fat content that could be marked prime and cost a lot more. At the same time, you could just reach into the cooler of prime steaks and grab one that probably shouldn’t even be marked as choice.

Look for a nice red color to the meat with small beads of fat distributed all through the meat. Should almost look like tiny bits of butter shotgun blasted into it for lack of a better way to describe it. Also feel them through the package. Feel for hard strings of fat. That stuff is to going to render into delicious flavor. It’s just going to curl up and turn into a nasty hard bite. Also, a gigantic hunk of soft fat isn’t appetizing in your mouth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those Ribeyes in ops picture look great
View Quote
lol.  They look like pork.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It’s usda prime. I only eat prime. Choice is for poors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:. Their prime steak guys are great, can’t be beat. . I can’t go back to choice. Haven’t bought choice in over a decade.
CTPT:  USDA PRIME vs. whatever (“tender”?).

It’s usda prime. I only eat prime. Choice is for poors.

The USDA beef rating system is a joke. Too broad. This is how steaks should be rated.

If you know how to buy meat you can find choice beef that is far superior to prime from another store / vendor. Just saying “choice is for poors” or “I only buy prime” just tells me that some people don’t know what they’re looking at. I’ve watched guys win brisket competitions with choice briskets from Sam’s. I’ve bought an $85 choice brisket from Costco that would easily be a $120 or $130 brisket from snake river farms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At least in my AO, fuel is another good reason to shop Costco:  fuel runs something like 75¢ less/gal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. If you buy gas there you dont have to figure in the memby cost.
At least in my AO, fuel is another good reason to shop Costco:  fuel runs something like 75¢ less/gal.

Damn.  It is nothing like that here.  Right now Costco, Sams, and Walmart are all $3.22.  Regular gas stations are all $3.33-$3.35.   We buy at Kroger mostly because it is right by the house and use fuel points from groceries for an avg of 10 cents off per gallon, which is usually right at the Costco price.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Imagine buying meat at the store.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Indy location here

12.99 NY - choice
13.99 ribeye - choice

Whole primals are only 50 cents cheaper per #

Prime grade was in the low $20s iirc. This was 2-3 weeks ago last I was in there.
View Quote

This Spidey
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like your Kroger meat has been relabeled; there is a barcode behind the top label under the "boneless family pack". Remove the top one and see what the original "sell by date" and price was.

Really doubtful Kroger's prices are 1/3 Costco's on fresh beef. If it's too good of a deal to be true, there is probably a reason.

Btw- no store is always cheaper than all other stores on every product.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll shop the bargain bin at Kroger for a chuck roast that's gonna be in the slow cooker all day...Costco Prime and Choice are far better cuts of meat for steaks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Costco is not always the "cheapest", but always the best value on high-quality items.

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Even if it is cheaper, I refuse to give my $ to Kroger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Before covid, Sams was selling choice brisket for $4-5/lb
Kroger and HEB was selling choice brisket for under $3/lb.
Sams Prime brisket was $9/lb and HEB prime brisket was $4.
Sams ground beef prices were high as well

Prices are almost close to then today.
View Quote

This is a sample size of one item:

My oldest wouldn't breast feed, and the only formula he tolerated was a Great Value brand.

We looked at Sam's Club. They sold the formula in a larger package at a higher unit cost.

Didn't get a Sam's membership.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Damn.  It is nothing like that here.  Right now Costco, Sams, and Walmart are all $3.22.  Regular gas stations are all $3.33-$3.35.   We buy at Kroger mostly because it is right by the house and use fuel points from groceries for an avg of 10 cents off per gallon, which is usually right at the Costco price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costco sells Top Tier rated fuel. You can't compare it to Delta, compare it to Shell.

Around here Shell is regularly $.20 higher than other brands, and Costco beats the other brands and is significantly less expensive than Shell.

There's three Costco gas stations between my home and work, and prices between them even vary $.10/gallon but luckily are always cheapest at the once closest to my house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like your Kroger meat has been relabeled; there is a barcode behind the top label under the "boneless family pack". Remove the top one and see what the original "sell by date" and price was.

Really doubtful Kroger's prices are 1/3 Costco's on fresh beef. If it's too good of a deal to be true, there is probably a reason.
View Quote

It is a sale price.  It is not old, they do this all the time.  When boneless ribeyes go on sale several times a year for $5.99-6.99, we stock up.  They have bone-in ribeyes for that price all the time.

It is NOT "too good to be true".  It is a sale rice.  Beef is cheap here in TX, and their competitors run similar sales all the time.  

We buy Choice chuck roasts for $2.99
80/20 ground $2.49
Choice Boneless Ribeyes and T-bones for $5.99
Choice Sirloins for $4.99 (been a while)
Choice briskets for $1.87
Whole filet tenderloins $9.99
Pork shoulders for $0.87 to $0.99
Chicken breasts or thighs for $1.77
Chicken quarters for $0.29 (been a while on that too - lass time was $0.49)

Again - these are week-long sale prices that rotate.  You buy it on sale and pack it in the freezer.

None of which, are as good on quality that you get at Costco, but sometimes it is totally worth it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Comparing sale price at one store with regular price at another store?

Come on now...
View Quote

It's GD, do expect better?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Costco sells Top Tier rated fuel. You can't compare it to Delta, compare it to Shell.

Around here Shell is regularly $.20 higher than other brands, and Costco beats the other brands and is significantly less expensive than Shell.

There's three Costco gas stations between my home and work, and prices between them even vary $.10/gallon but luckily are always cheapest at the once closest to my house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shell right next to our Kroger is $3.35 (before 5 cent fuel rewards discount) and $3.30 after.  Exxon is $3.35.  Our Kroger is supplied by Shell.  Kroger does not get a top tier certification because they can use multiple suppliers, but ours is always serviced by shell, as they almost share a parking lot with the Shell station.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It is a sale price.  It is not old, they do this all the time.  When boneless ribeyes go on sale several times a year for $5.99-6.99, we stock up.  They have bone-in ribeyes for that price all the time.

It is NOT "too good to be true".  It is a sale rice.  Beef is cheap here in TX, and their competitors run similar sales all the time.  

We buy Choice chuck roasts for $2.99
80/20 ground $2.49
Choice Boneless Ribeyes and T-bones for $5.99
Choice Sirloins for $4.99 (been a while)
Choice briskets for $1.87
Whole filet tenderloins $9.99
Pork shoulders for $0.87 to $0.99
Chicken breasts or thighs for $1.77
Chicken quarters for $0.29 (been a while on that too - lass time was $0.49)

Again - these are week-long sale prices that rotate.  You buy it on sale and pack it in the freezer.

None of which, are as good on quality that you get at Costco, but sometimes it is totally worth it.
View Quote

It would be stupid of him to compare a "sale" price at one store to a non-sale price at another so I gave him the benefit of the doubt on understanding that.

Let's take your premise that it isn't an almost expired product (looks like the pic was taken 1 day before the expiration date) but one they are either selling at a steep discount or as a loss-leader. Still is a stupid comparison to say that Kroger is cheaper than Costco since it is different situation for each store. Someone selling a product at 1/3 the price as a store whose business model revolves around selling value should be telling that it isn't an equal comparison.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I prefer Costco's steak cuts better than Kroger. Costco cuts them thicker 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch compared to Kroger which is considerably thinner. That alone is a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I grow my own beef, but I'd  buy any it'd be from Costco!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top