User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People who associate an inanimate object like a car with sexuality are as fucking stupid and annoying as the ones who say you're compensating for a little dick because you're a gun owner.

Stop. It's retarded and you're embarrassing yourself.
View Quote

Someone came all over your beard without asking again, didn't they?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's not a 4x4 trail, that's my North Dakota county road.
View Quote

yeahokay.gif
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one the other week because it didn't have a sunroof thing. Has the slightly bigger motor but I can't say I like it a whole lot.  The steering wheel needs to be able to be set a little higher before running out of adjustment for better leg room. Also to me in the regular driving mode have not tried the sport it has uneven power acceleration at the start from a dead stop and between 35 and 45 mph. On starting from stopped sometimes it is almost like you start pushing the peddle some before it ever moves and then when it moves it's like with more gas/power than you want starting off. It almost feels like power dies intermittently during the 35 to 45 acceleration range. Maybe it is the gas saving crap and all the transmission gearing newer cars have but I hate it compared to my old 2005 Grand Prix I got rid of for it and its smoothness of accelerations feel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought one the other week because it didn't have a sunroof thing. Has the slightly bigger motor but I can't say I like it a whole lot.  The steering wheel needs to be able to be set a little higher before running out of adjustment for better leg room. Also to me in the regular driving mode have not tried the sport it has uneven power acceleration at the start from a dead stop and between 35 and 45 mph. On starting from stopped sometimes it is almost like you start pushing the peddle some before it ever moves and then when it moves it's like with more gas/power than you want starting off. It almost feels like power dies intermittently during the 35 to 45 acceleration range. Maybe it is the gas saving crap and all the transmission gearing newer cars have but I hate it compared to my old 2005 Grand Prix I got rid of for it and its smoothness of accelerations feel.
View Quote

Sounds like pretty typical driving behavior of a CVT with engine auto start/stop enabled.  Use sport mode and press the button to disable the engine shutoff.  There's a reason why people who enjoy driving hate CVTs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sounds like pretty typical driving behavior of a CVT with engine auto start/stop enabled.  Use sport mode and press the button to disable the engine shutoff.  There's a reason why people who enjoy driving hate CVTs.
View Quote

I was wondering if it was normal for the new stuff. Thanks for the comment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked my 19 quite a bit. If it hadn't been murdered by a drunk driver I would have eventually modded it slightly.  But I wouldn't have tried to use like I do my 4Runner or Wrangler.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bought one when they were still named XV Crosstrek.  I liked the look, but chiefly because it was one of the few cars left that actually came standard with (what was once) the standard transmission; a manual one.

Not sure if that's even offered anymore .
View Quote
Unfortunately they got rid of the manual for 24.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 19 crosstrek limited, only thing that has stopped it is deep (20") snow, I had to use my lifted/locked FJ Cruiser to pull it free. In normal snow/snowy roads it is great, i see one on the beach here, but I wouldn’t risk it in the soft sand.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh....yes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my Trek. Not a power house for an engine, and it certainly has it's limitations. You won't be run over on your daily driving, like some want to imply.
Not a 4X4 by any stretch. That said, I have been places I shouldn't have made it to, and back with stock tires. I find it more than a bit impressive, but a man has to know his limitations, and just how much to test them.

I like the lift posted. Not sure I would want it since the power is limited, and tires are heavy, but still pretty inexpensive for the purpose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a lifted Forester XT manual.

Fun car but annoying to maintain.

I wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you like gladiator movies?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was wondering if it was normal for the new stuff. Thanks for the comment.
View Quote
I have owned exclusively manual transmission cars and trucks since 1993.

The 2022 Outback we bought is the first car we have owned that didn't have a manual.

I have driven CVT's that suck, but the one in the Outback does not.

I have found the CVT to be quite good and it is actually more responsive and smoother than most autos. The dual clutch automatic in audi's and the allison hooked to duramax diesels in GM pickups are the best auto's I have driven. They felt the most sensible and direct  

When we first got the car, I noticed a nonlinear acceleration effect. Our Outback is turbocharged and quite quick. I would step on the gas sometimes and get more power than I bargained for, sometimes I would get less than I wanted and I would have to push down and then get a sudden rush. The throttle response was like rubber bands. It wasn't turbo lag, the turbo is pretty quick when you need it and it wasn't the CVT.

I think it was the throttle mapping.  Maybe one of those fuzzy logic chips that are supposed to learn for some weird reason. Some people reset the mapping. Some people install a pedal commander. I never did any of that and the effect is gone now. The car drives normally. Maybe I just learned how to drive an automatic again.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Get a Honda or Toyota for more creature comfort.  Unfortunately, you will also get a mediocre AWD system.  You pays yer munny and you takes yer chances.
View Quote

Generally I agree, most AWD vehicles are FWD, and only engage the rears when slippage occurs.

The 19' Passport (know nothing of other years) is a different animal.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Generally I agree, most AWD vehicles are FWD, and only engage the rears when slippage occurs.

The 19' Passport (know nothing of other years) is a different animal.

View Quote

Mazda puts a bit of torque to the rear all the time but as much as Subaru.  They catch up when there is slip detected.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those little Subarus with lift kits look like they would be fun.
View Quote

Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't drive ma'am uh sir

Uh butch
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They still have retardo traction control, make sure you can "turn it off" and it actually can be turned off. Now a days mfg's have you turn it off only to have it actually tone down the TC a little, not much help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They still have retardo traction control, make sure you can "turn it off" and it actually can be turned off. Now a days mfg's have you turn it off only to have it actually tone down the TC a little, not much help.

Subarus have what they call "X-mode" and depending on which sub-mode you select, you can make it all go away.

Quoted:
snip

I spotted a Crosstrek Wilderness on the highway the other day. Besides the Wilderness trim, it had a roof rack added and the whole
thing had a nice off-road vibe. I liked it. Given the much bigger size/capacity of the Outback for about the same gas mileage, I'd rather
have the bigger wagon. I did have an Outback, and it was an excellent car. I'd definitely get another, and the Wilderness package is cool.

We swapped my wife's Crosstrek Sport (which has lower mileage than the non-Sport models due to the 2.5L v. the 2.0) for a Outback wilderness,
and the Outback has noticeably worse gas mileage. The CT would routinely see 30 MPG in town and >35 MPG highway, the Outback wilderness
is about 20-22 in town and 25-30 on the highway. Wilderness is geared lower for better off-road performance and it definitely shows up in the MPG.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Subarus have what they call "X-mode" and depending on which sub-mode you select, you can make it all go away.

We swapped my wife's Crosstrek Sport (which has lower mileage than the non-Sport models due to the 2.5L v. the 2.0) for a Outback wilderness,
and the Outback has noticeably worse gas mileage. The CT would routinely see 30 MPG in town and >35 MPG highway, the Outback wilderness
is about 20-22 in town and 25-30 on the highway. Wilderness is geared lower for better off-road performance and it definitely shows up in the MPG.

View Quote
Lower gearing AND TURBO.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top