[#1]
Where'd you get the pistol?
At the gettin' place.
Did you buy that gun?
Nope. Found it.
Llewelyn!
What? Quit hollerin'.
What'd you give for that thing?
You don't need to know everything, Carla Jean.
I need to know that.
You keep runnin' that mouth I'm gonna' take you in the back and screw ya'.
Big talk.
Keep it up.
Fine. I don't wanna' know. I don't even wanna' know where you been all day.
That'll work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
"You can't make up such a thing as that, I dare you to even try."
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
What's in the satchel?
It's full of money.
That'll be the day.

Quoted:
At the gettin' place.
Did you buy that gun?
Nope. Found it.
Llewelyn!
What? Quit hollerin'.
I need to know that.
Big talk.
Keep it up.
That'll work.

Great movie
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
“ I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can’t help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can’t help but wonder how they’d have operated these times ".

Many of them did not even carry a gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ain't got no aqua.

"agua" mex for "water."  pretty damn sure he said "agua."

Typo bro, I stand corrected. My high school Spanish is long gone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you think he would have done?

I know what he would have done.

Yeah. I guess I do, too.

He’d of set there till hell froze over and then stayed a while on the ice.

Do you think that makes him a better man than you?

Yessir. I do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's in the satchel?
It's full of money.
That'll be the day.

Quoted:
At the gettin' place.
Did you buy that gun?
Nope. Found it.
Llewelyn!
What? Quit hollerin'.
I need to know that.
Big talk.
Keep it up.
That'll work.

Great movie

I have it on Bluray and have watched it 13 times, I'll watch it again tonight. I still flinch at the traffic light car crash.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

" I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can’t help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can’t help but wonder how they’d have operated these times ".

This statement summed-up the entire book.

I couldn't believe that the movie left out all of Sheriff Bell's WWII encounter.

Yeah...I'm just not sure how they'd have gotten it into the movie without making it seem like some Rambo-esqe PTSD thing.  It really wasn't PTSD, it was a moment of fear during combat that defined Bell's life.  He seem to spend his entire life as a sheriff trying to atone for that moment.  But, at the same time, always scared he'd fold again if things got bad.

That is why he had to go into the hotel room.  It was his one moment.  It didn't matter that Anton wasn't in there.  What mattered was that he pulled his 1911 and went in there.  And once he had faced that moment, he knew that he was done with being a lawman.  Things were "getting" bad in his mind and he was afraid he'd have to do it again.  He'd done it, but he didn't want to have to face the possibility he couldn't do (or wouldn't) do it the next time.  Maybe he even knew he wouldn't.  He'd done it once and now, even though he could never go back to Europe, he could go out knowing that he had faced that type of fear once and not backed down.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
"these boys appear to be managerial"
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
" I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can’t help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can’t help but wonder how they’d have operated these times ".

I couldn't believe that the movie left out all of Sheriff Bell's WWII encounter.

Yeah...I'm just not sure how they'd have gotten it into the movie without making it seem like some Rambo-esqe PTSD thing.  It really wasn't PTSD, it was a moment of fear during combat that defined Bell's life.  He seem to spend his entire life as a sheriff trying to atone for that moment.  But, at the same time, always scared he'd fold again if things got bad.

That is why he had to go into the hotel room.  It was his one moment.  It didn't matter that Anton wasn't in there.  What mattered was that he pulled his 1911 and went in there.  And once he had faced that moment, he knew that he was done with being a lawman.  Things were "getting" bad in his mind and he was afraid he'd have to do it again.  He'd done it, but he didn't want to have to face the possibility he couldn't do (or wouldn't) do it the next time.  Maybe he even knew he wouldn't.  He'd done it once and now, even though he could never go back to Europe, he could go out knowing that he had faced that type of fear once and not backed down.  

This, being stripped from the movie, kept most viewers from understanding what was really going on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Especially in the book, I got the feeling that the Sheriff was constantly wrestling with whether or not he was a coward.  The movie kind of showed how he always showed up just after the danger had left.  But the ending of both showed him finally confronting that danger.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
btw... fans of Lonesome Dove might be interested to know who played Ellis (wheelchair guy)

He's also the voice of 99.5 The Bear in Lubbock, TX.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't think a car would burn like that.
Yes sir.  Should brought weenies.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss?

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Having not read the book, I always assumed that Chigur was in the room, then slipped out after the Sherriff went into the bathroom.

Chigur was just in his imagination for that moment??
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got the cancer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got the cancer cant-serr.

Fixt
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNjPGkfFIpw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]
you don't have to do this
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Just finished watching it for the 14th time on BluRay.

One of my all time Fav-0-Rite movies.

This thread inspired me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, being stripped from the movie, kept most viewers from understanding what was really going on.

I agree.

I knew immediately that the movie was really about the Sheriff and the plot between Moss and Chigurh was the vehicle to tell it.

I just didn't know why.  He wasn't needed for the Moss storyline so why include him?
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Having not read the book, I always assumed that Chigur was in the room, then slipped out after the Sherriff went into the bathroom.

Chigur was just in his imagination for that moment??

I haven't read the book in awhile, but I don't think it mattered. The point wasn't a showdown between Bell and Chigurh, the point was that Bell was willing to face Chigurh, who was the representation of death.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
You think this boy Moss has got any notion of the sorts of sons of bitches that are huntin him?

I don't know. He ought to...
He seen the same things I seen and it made an impression on me
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
"What? You went over my helmet?"
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]

SP89 is a very cool machine pistol, but the movie takes place in 1980. That always bugged me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

SP89 is a very cool machine pistol, but the movie takes place in 1980. That always bugged me.

Well the cartels are rich enough they probably have better arms connections than the FBI.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the cartels are rich enough they probably have better arms connections than the FBI.

He was also using a Remington 700 VLS, which wasn't offered anywhere close to that time either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was also using a Remington 700 VLS, which wasn't offered anywhere close to that time either.

Argh!
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#31]
...it sound like these boys
died of natural causes.

- How's that, sheriff?
- Natural to the line of work they're in.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Argh!

Chigurh shoots the two guys at the original crime scene with a Glock, too. Aggravates me, especially in a film where they've obviously paid such attention to detail in other areas.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top