Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Reagan basically did everything that Russia-controlled racist morons falsely accused Obama of doing.  He was utterly corrupt, funneled arms to Iran, and infringed your second amendment rights, while exploding the debt and cowering to terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
GD:  Where a politician stealing candy from a baby is characterized as:

A just application of the might makes right, free market capitalism, and true American constitutional values!
OR
Part of a secret commie pedophile Islamist subversive plot to collapse the nation by starving our children!

All depends on where that politician fits into the GD political narrative...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus fucking Christ GD is getting dumb.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reagan basically did everything that Russia-controlled racist morons falsely accused Obama of doing.  He was utterly corrupt, funneled arms to Iran, and infringed your second amendment rights, while exploding the debt and cowering to terrorists.
View Quote
HERESY! SHUN THE NONBELIEVER! SHUN!

You must apply different standards because reasons and narratives!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GD:  Where a politician stealing candy from a baby is characterized as:

A just application of the might makes right, free market capitalism, and true American constitutional values!
OR
Part of a secret commie pedophile Islamist subversive plot to collapse the nation by starving our children!

All depends on where that politician fits into the GD political narrative...
View Quote
Getting a bit extreme here aren't we?

btw, exactly what is it that you thought Obama did right? Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do liberals hate him so much?
View Quote

He killed their mother.

As long as the USSR existed, domestic reds had a home to flee to, at least spiritually.

The collapse of the soviets drove them insane, and it was that point that MSM/academia/democrats/entertainment turned the dial to 11 and declared war on America.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He believed in small government.
View Quote

Reagan deserves credit for many good things. That isn't  one of them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also bullshit. The Soviet Union collapsed under the weight of its imperial control of other people’s countries and a strict communist economy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much what I was wondering. I've even heard that some believe it was the Pope that caused the Soviet demise.
Also bullshit. The Soviet Union collapsed under the weight of its imperial control of other people’s countries and a strict communist economy.
Why not go ask the people in Poland what Regan did, they experienced their neighbors heavy fist first hand, see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what modern president was better?

Answer: none
View Quote
Pretty low standards. By that measure he was Thomas Jefferson.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why not go ask the people in Poland what Regan did, they experienced their neighbors heavy fist first hand, see what they have to say.
View Quote
That was as much John Paul II as Reagan
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just by taking office, Iran released the hostages for fear of his wrath.
View Quote
LOVE your avatar
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't forget him giving California the Democrat vote for the rest of the foreseeable future with the illegal alien amnesty.
View Quote
Except that amnesty was in exchange for building a wall and enforcing existing laws.  He fucked up by trusting the Democrats to keep their end of the bargain.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Reagan was a good president but he fucked up a lot too, however, some of you worship him with the same fervor as you worship Christ (or Trump). It is pretty pathetic and intellectually dishonest. Deifying Reagan is as bad for us as demonizing Obama. Honest appraisal is best.
View Quote
Ignored. And yes, you are.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I was a kid growing up through the Reagan years so even though I don't know as much about him as other members, I do remember his memorial speech after the space shuttle Challenger explosion. I was in high school when the principal announced over the PA what happened, but when Reagan gave his speech I felt like we were going to be OK, we were going to make it through this. The way he spoke gave us comfort after that horrible tragedy. It was like my grandfather talking to me, his communication made him a great leader and loved by many on both sides of the political aisle.

I'll throw in an interesting tidbit about Reagan. Earlier this year my wife and I went scuba diving in Palau. While we were there we got to talking to some locals about politics. They told us that Reagan was the best president we ever had since he gave them the choice to continue as a US territory or to become their own nation. Some places like Guam voted to stay a US territory but Palau voted for their independence, although it took many years for it to happen. They even adopted our Constitution but later eliminated the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Born in ‘89. His successor/VP hated freedom and liked gun control too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old are you? I'm not trying to be an ass, but it will give a perspective of where you are coming from.
Born in ‘89. His successor/VP hated freedom and liked gun control too
'89. For fucks sake.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fed gov size 1981 - 1.56mil
Fed gov size 1989 - 1.56mil

(only counting civilian, not .mil)

https://www.mercatus.org/sites/default/files/Chart1-Spending-Per-Capita-vero.png

Reagan did not shrink the government.
Reagan increased spending though...

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU INCREASE SPENDING AND CUT TAXES???

DEBT GOES UP

http://popularlogistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gross-fed-debt-over-gdp2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, your post basically proves that you are a liberal and/or don't understand what Americanism is or Constitutional Conservatism is.  Second, Reagan had his faults like all politicians do.  However, he is the only president in the last umpteen years that actually fought to reduce the size of government and institute supply-side economics.  His tax cuts were the largest in American history.  High tide raises all boats.  He did have to deal the liberals at the time and made some concessions as needed.  
Fed gov size 1981 - 1.56mil
Fed gov size 1989 - 1.56mil

(only counting civilian, not .mil)

https://www.mercatus.org/sites/default/files/Chart1-Spending-Per-Capita-vero.png

Reagan did not shrink the government.
Reagan increased spending though...

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU INCREASE SPENDING AND CUT TAXES???

DEBT GOES UP

http://popularlogistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gross-fed-debt-over-gdp2.jpg
No kidding, I can't fathom why so many conservatives sing the praises of Supply Side Economics.....which was a complete sham in that context, and its love of deficit spending put it more in common with Keynesian Economics.   Don't get me wrong, I love Reagan, and think he did wonders for the US after the malaise and turmoil of the late 60's and 70's, but their is nothing conservative (or shouldn't be) about fiscal irresponsibility....which is now practiced by the both the left and right with the failed orthodoxies they now cling to.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what modern president was better?

Answer: none
Well - that answers the OP’s question, right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Because Carter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Troll from DU
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
You're right OP, you will never understand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol GTFO
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you can name me one perfect person, let alone a politician, I'll concede your points.

Did Reagan have some flaws? Sure, who doesn't. We've been cursed with this belief that we could compromise with the (whatever name you want to give those working to destroy this country), and that eventually he would be successful.  He traded  some things, to get things he thought were important to the country. Some of those trades may have been worth it, some not so much.

Out of curiosity OP, did you live through that time?

I ask because he was a large part of the change and optimism that American went through during the 80s. Going from Vietnam into the 70s had left this country in a shitty mood for the most part. I would hate to think how things may have turned out with him being President.

ETA: I see you answered the age question. I don't know if I can properly explain how much he benefited this country in the long run.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No kidding, I can't fathom why so many conservatives sing the praises of Supply Side Economics.....which was a complete sham in that context, and its love of deficit spending put it more in common with Keynesian Economics.   Don't get me wrong, I love Reagan, and think he did wonders for the US after the malaise and turmoil of the late 60's and 70's, but their is nothing conservative (or shouldn't be) about fiscal irresponsibility....which is now practiced by the both the left and right with the failed orthodoxies they now cling to.
View Quote
Hey, that 600 ship Navy wasn't going to pay for itself you know.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, he wasn’t the worst president ever, but:

-He didn’t cause the collapse of the USSR
You can't honestly believe that???  Ever heard of the arms race?
-He opened the door to trade dependency with the Chinese Communists
-He didn’t do shit about jihadists killing almost 300 of our service members
-He conspired with the Fudd parts of the NRA to infringe on our Second Amendment rights and supported an AWB after leaving office
-He didn’t intervene to stop thatcher from handing over Hong Kong to the Commies without so much as a polite word against itSovereignty transferred  in 1997

So why do conservatives love him so much? Why do liberals hate him so much?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else remember having to sign for ammo when you bought it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#30]
It's all a matter of who else there was out there to compare him to....

Take Jimmy Carter....please....
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Reagan wasn’t  perfect.

Perfect only exists in the minds of retards and idiots.

Reagan wasn’t perfect. Not in a million years.

We were lucky to have Reagan. He loved America, he believed in America, and he was a conservative.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Reagan gave us the B-1B.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
He wasn't perfect, but it did reverse what Carter did and more.

Trump isn't perfect, but he is doing a good job reversing Obama.

In this fucked up non perfect world that is about a good as we can hope for.

Unless I become dictator.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Lots of people with opinions who didn't live through the Carter administration commenting here and talking out of their ass.

If you didn't live brought those times you might not understand.

Much like Trump, Reagan made it okay to be patriotic again. The feeling of the country turned around on a dime once Reagan was in office. 444 days of getting our nuts kicked in with the Iranian hostages on tv every night ended when he took office, and it only got better from there.

Was he perfect? Nope. Name one president that is or ever will be. But you can bet your ass a large part of the country was and still is thankful we did not get another 4 years of Carter. He changed the world in positive ways very few Presidents do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Reagan gave us the B-1B.
View Quote
And the B117, and the Abrams and most of the cool shit used in Desert Storm.

The youngsters don't have a clue WHY Reagan spent what he spent and they don't have a clue just how much crap was used day to day in all the military branches.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Getting a bit extreme here aren't we?

btw, exactly what is it that you thought Obama did right? Just curious.
View Quote
What did Obama do right? I can't name that off the top of my head. I'm sure he did something right... stuck clocks...

But to hear GD tell it, he was a Muslim Kenyan and LITERALLY worst president in the history of the country, unless you are related to a confederate Veteran in which case Lincoln was slightly worse (even though it was Pierce, Buchanan and Andrew Johnson that really fucked the South over).

The way I see it, apart from everyone neckbearding shit like crazy due to ODS, my gun rights didn't suffer due to Obama... he seemed pretty intent on ignoring the gun control issue because he understood it would lose his team elections. That doesn't make him a good president, but it certainly keeps him off the very bottom of the list.

I just get tired of how worked up our media gets GD with its incredibly short term memory that is happy to sacrifice historical accuracy for narrative bias.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What did Obama do right? I can't name that off the top of my head.

But to hear GD tell hit, he was literally a Muslim Kenyan and the worst president in the history of the country, unless you are related to a confederate Veteran in which case Lincoln was worse.

The way I see it, apart from everyone neckbearding shit like crazy due to ODS, my gun rights didn't suffer due to Obama... he seemed pretty intent on ignoring the gun control issue because he understood it would lose his team elections.
View Quote
He lost both the house and senate which is why he couldn't do shit as far as gun rights go. Unless you are in the last stages of dementia, he railed against guns more then a few times, he just didn't have the votes at the time. If he had been just a bit smarter, he would have done it immediately right after he was elected and all three branches were held by the "D".s.

Now hush, adults are talking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you can name me one perfect person, let alone a politician, I'll concede your points.

Did Reagan have some flaws? Sure, who doesn't. We've been cursed with this belief that we could compromise with the (whatever name you want to give those working to destroy this country), and that eventually he would be successful.  He traded  some things, to get things he thought were important to the country. Some of those trades may have been worth it, some not so much.

Out of curiosity OP, did you live through that time?

I ask because he was a large part of the change and optimism that American went through during the 80s. Going from Vietnam into the 70s had left this country in a shitty mood for the most part. I would hate to think how things may have turned out with him being President.

ETA: I see you answered the age question. I don't know if I can properly explain how much he benefited this country in the long run.
View Quote
This. I'd love Reagan for nothing more than not being the milksop that Carter was. For calling a spade a spade when it came to the evil empire.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Born in ‘89.
View Quote
knew that before you posted
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If he had been just a bit smarter, he would have done it immediately right after he was elected and all three branches were held by the "D".s.
View Quote
He might have been smart enough to realize that if he had pushed for gun control, he wouldn't have just lost both houses, they would have been veto override level losses... that or while he is not a 2A fan, attacking 2A wasn't his priority.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This. I'd love Reagan for nothing more than not being the milksop that Carter was. For calling a spade a spade when it came to the evil empire.
View Quote
Oh come on! That is setting the bar REALLY low! Carter might have been the worst president of the 20th century!

Reagan was easily the best president since Eisenhower. Reagan, Kennedy (who I don't like that much apart from his handling of the CMC), and Eisenhower could have had a contest over who hated commies more.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It did good things, sure. So why did we compromise on our rights?
View Quote
because of major Dem majorities in the house
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#43]
He wasn't Carter, that in itself was enough; had to be around back then to understand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
30 year mortgage rates
14.8% when he took office
10.7% when he left office

Improved but not as much as the debt:GDP doubling
View Quote
I know you weren't alive, but back then you could make a good rate of return on a passbook savings account and actually build wealth with little risk.  Reaganomics worked very well for a lot of families, mine included. But please continue to to educate me on a period of history you weren't even alive for
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone else remember having to sign for ammo when you bought it?
View Quote
had to sign and show ID
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Soon after taking office in 1981, Reagan signed into law one of the largest tax cuts in the postwar period. That legislation, phased in over three years, pushed through a 23% across-the-board cut of individual income tax rates.It also called for tax brackets, the standard deduction and personal exemptions to be adjusted for inflation starting in 1984. In 1986, Reagan lowered individual income tax rates again. As a result of the 1981 and 1986 bills, the top income tax rate was slashed from 70% to 28%.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know you weren't alive, but back then you could make a good rate of return on a passbook savings account and actually build wealth with little risk.  Reaganomics worked very well for a lot of families, mine included. But please continue to to educate me on a period of history you weren't even alive for
View Quote
You don't know shit. I was alive you presumptive fool.

Great interest rates... 6-7% you think so? And the interest rates were high because they had to be to keep up with inflation, which did decrease during Regan's tenure... coming down from 70s stagflation. You weren't really getting a great rate of return. If you actually understood economics, you'd understand that and why Reaganomics was anything but conservative!

Do you remember Black Friday and the S&L crisis?

Keep eating your Memberberries...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Generally when I want to be taken seriously and not for a foolish retard, I pop into threads and tell people who lived a certain time period when I was not even alive how things went down.  

There are just not enough of these  for this thread.

We are currently experiencing a period similar in nature to 1980.  We just came off 8 years of losing and morale has been crazy low with social chaos.  And boom, in comes a leader with intangibles that changes the mood of the country.
View Quote
I think that's the biggest thing. The country was in the dumps and felt pretty bad about just about everything. Reagan came along and made us feel good about ourselves again. His addresses to Americans and overseas still make me proud and in many cases bring a tear to my eyes. Was he perfect? No. Did he make some mis-steps? Yes. But he brought us out of a slump and made us feel as if anything was possible if we just believe in the greatness of this country and worked together as Americans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You don't know shit. I was alive you presumptive fool.
Great interest rates... 6-7% you think so? And the interest rates were high because they had to be to keep up with inflation, which did decrease during Regan's tenure... coming down from 70s stagflation. You weren't really getting a great rate of return. If you actually understood economics, you'd understand that and why Reaganomics was anything but conservative!
Do you remember Black Friday and the S&L crisis?
Keep eating your Memberberries...
View Quote
you said you were born in 89.... I see that was the OP, my mistake
and interest rates were around 14% in 82. Not posting my statements, but I had better than that
but whatever, believe what you will. I'm ejecting from this thread. I don't have enough bourbon on hand to cope with the stupidity in this thread
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First of all, your post basically proves that you are a liberal and/or don't understand what Americanism is or Constitutional Conservatism is.  Second, Reagan had his faults like all politicians do.  However, he is the only president in the last umpteen years that actually fought to reduce the size of government and institute supply-side economics.  His tax cuts were the largest in American history.  High tide raises all boats.  He did have to deal the liberals at the time and made some concessions as needed.  
View Quote
This.  It was not perfect but it was a start.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top