BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yeah, he wasn’t the worst president ever, but

So why do conservatives love him so much? Why do liberals hate him so much?
View Quote

He put an end to the Carter Presidency
and the pain the Nation suffered under it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as guns, we are talking about Reagan while he was President, not afterwards.  He appointed Ed Meese, the first AG who said that the 2nd Amendment included an individual right.  The 1982 Senate Report came out during his term.  These were the first times anyone in government had said that the 2nd amendment may actually protect an individual's RKBA.  While the Republicans of that era were not perfect on guns, it had not even been an issue before then.  It was nothing.  It started to become something during Reagan's presidency.  Finally, Reagan appointed the Justice who wrote the Heller opinion, and another Justice who who voted in favor.  No Reagan, no Scalia and Kennedy, no Heller.

It is like criticizing Washington for fighting with the British army.  He was obviously a traitor.  But that was before there was a 'Merica.  Before Reagan, there was essentially no Second Amendment.  During the Reagan Administration the seeds were planted, and in the 2nd Bush administration the seeds finally bore fruit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were not an adult or a reasonably smart teen and didn't live it, they will have a very hard time understanding what those times put middle class families and people through.

In context, think about the health care cost increases nowadays but the govt basically says FU, pay it, no help from us financially, deal with it and wear a sweater, it's the way it is, oh, BTW, we aren't letting you free ride on someone else's dime under that regular rates.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, he wasn’t the worst president ever, but:

-He didn’t cause the collapse of the USSR
-He opened the door to trade dependency with the Chinese Communists
-He didn’t do shit about jihadists killing almost 300 of our service members
-He conspired with the Fudd parts of the NRA to infringe on our Second Amendment rights and supported an AWB after leaving office
-He didn’t intervene to stop thatcher from handing over Hong Kong to the Commies without so much as a polite word against it

View Quote

I don't know if this has been addressed in the last 4 pages, but are you suggesting that President Reagan had the ability to go back in time to 1898 and alter the terms of a lease, and simply chose not to?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Born in ‘89. His successor/VP hated freedom and liked gun control too
View Quote
You were an infant when he left office

I'm 11 years older than you and remember Reagan being a pretty well loved president. Coming out of the shit show that was the 70's , dealing with the explosion in drugs, violence and aids. PLUS the whole USSR/cold war deal. I would say for all intents and purposes he did an excellent job with what he has to work with.

You're not old enough to remember the berlin wall coming down. You never watched the news or saw how oppressed those people were. You didnt see friends family members show up here and how haggard and disheveled they looked. SO thankful to be the fuck out of there. They used to walk around the neighborhood collecting up dandelions, nuts and berries and shit. Then sit in the front yard eating them. It was fucking crazy. My friends grandma went BALLISTIC when we came home with a stringer of fish and started beating my friend with a stick!  Why? Because she though the government was going to come take us away for stealing fish!

AS a sad note. 2 years ago a Russian girl was down at the marina/beach when we came with with a few keeper striped bass. She was amazed we were A. Allowed to catch fish and B. The fish weren't "poison" She had to call her father and he came down to see the wonderful fish! We sent them home with a nice big fillet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
In a time when over half the world had fallen under the sway of the power and influence being projected out of the U.S.S.R., even right on America's doorstep, and the walls were closing in fast, Reagan stepped into the breach to offer a resolute alternative to tyranny.  People now try to attribute the fall of global communism to various other factors, including that it would "collapse under its own weight," but that house of cards wasn't without a lot of glue in the form of force and repression holding it together.  It took a strong push to topple it.  Reagan made that push.  

As for debt and deficits, before Reagan the top marginal tax rate was over 70%.  By the end of Reagan's term it was about 30%.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
We could have had another 4 years of Jimmy Carter.

What a treat that would have been!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you were not an adult or a reasonably smart teen and didn't live it, they will have a very hard time understanding what those times put middle class families and people through.

In context, think about the health care cost increases nowadays but the govt basically says FU, pay it, no help from us financially, deal with it and wear a sweater, it's the way it is, oh, BTW, we aren't letting you free ride on someone else's dime under that regular rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there it is.

These young people are incapable of understanding, because they lack the perspective gained from having to endure the Carter years.

They've never had to wait three hours in line to receive their gasoline ration, and only on alternate days based on their license plate.

My daughter has never had to endure that kind of hardship, and I'm grateful for that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Although there were a few things I really disliked about the Reagan administration, and the Iran-Contra Scandal is really unforgivable, there are a lot of things about Reagan I can admire, especially now.

Reagan was intelligent. He wrote a lot of his own speeches, and he used grownup, multi-syllable words. People could always understand what he was talking about, even when his mind started to deteriorate during his last years. He delivered speeches very well. In my memory, only Obama delivered speeches better.

During press conferences, he treated reporters as professionals, part of the fabric of democracy, even when he didn't like their questions.

He reportedly was a very nice man, treating even minor employees with respect and kindness.

From all accounts, he sincerely loved his wife, and treated her with great deference. For example, he never said on radio that he would no longer love his wife if she did not have big tits.

In short, Reagan was not a pussy-grabbing president. He had class.
View Quote
in short, Reagan was not a rapist using interns to suck his dick president. he had class.

nasty bitch hillary lost get over it!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Seventeenters are funny.   If you weren't and adult through the 1970's you have not right to comment on how much he DID do for this country.  

- When he took office the inflation rate was running at as high as 17%.  Imagine having a 17% mortgage to pay off.  Variable rate mortgages were common.  And some with no rate cap.  Care to ride that wave for the next 30 years?  

- There country was beyond demoralized.   It had almost given up on itself.  He dared it to be great again and it responded.

- The military was in a shambles and held in low regard.  Especially by the main stream media.  He rebuilt the military and restored morale.  

- When the bombing of the Marine Corp barracks occurred in Beirut he stood up and took the blame as CIC as it happened on his watch and they were there by his orders.  

- JFK stood in front of the Berlin Wall and called himself a jelly doughnut.   ("Ich bin ein Berliner")   Ronald Reagan dared "Mr. Gorbachev.  Tear down this wall!".   His advisors were appalled by the comment.  He didn't give a damn and history proved him right.

- At his first cabinet meeting he declared that he was not running the office of POTUS as if he were running for reelection.  He would do what he thought was right and good for the country.  The American people would let him know if they liked what he was doing.  The next presidential election results speak for themselves.  

No he wasn't perfect, but he was the best president of the 20th century.  FDR wasn't fit to clean his toilet.  He started out a liberal but changed to a conservative and rued his days as a liberal for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
OP not conservative.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm 11 years older than you and remember Reagan being a pretty well loved president. Coming out of the shit show that was the 70's , dealing with the explosion in drugs, violence and aids. PLUS the whole USSR/cold war deal. I would say for all intents and purposes he did an excellent job with what he has to work with.

You're not old enough to remember the berlin wall coming down. You never watched the news or saw how oppressed those people were. You didnt see friends family members show up here and how haggard and disheveled they looked. SO thankful to be the fuck out of there. They used to walk around the neighborhood collecting up dandelions, nuts and berries and shit. Then sit in the front yard eating them. It was fucking crazy. My friends grandma went BALLISTIC when we came home with a stringer of fish and started beating my friend with a stick!  Why? Because she though the government was going to come take us away for stealing fish!

AS a sad note. 2 years ago a Russian girl was down at the marina/beach when we came with with a few keeper striped bass. She was amazed we were A. Allowed to catch fish and B. The fish weren't "poison" She had to call her father and he came down to see the wonderful fish! We sent them home with a nice big fillet.
View Quote
I am not old enough to remember a Republican Presidential candidate winning CA, new machine guns for sale, or a strong American manumitting base either, I guess I should be thankful for Amnesty, MG ban, and him pushing NAFTA, right?

And I should give a fuck why? He did great things for other nations/people while ours went to shit, and I should be grateful why again?  

Its like saying "Look how wonderful their house is", mean while the kitten is on fire in yours. I dont think you can not compared the immensity of the fuck I do not give about others when things in our nation are going to hell.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am not old enough to remember a Republican Presidential candidate winning CA, new machine guns for sale, or a strong American manumitting base either, I guess I should be thankful for Amnesty, MG ban, and him pushing NAFTA, right?

And I should give a fuck why? He did great things for other nations/people while ours went to shit, and I should be grateful why again?  

Its like saying "Look how wonderful their house is", mean while the kitten is on fire in yours. I dont think you can not compared the immensity of the fuck I do not give about others when things in our nation are going to hell.
View Quote
Username checks out
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, if you understand the Constitution as well as you claim to, then you know that the Supreme Court was set up to interpret it, not you. So, unless the Supreme Court defines "shall not be infringed" the same way you do, then you lose. Unfortunately, they have not taken up that issue, so far. They've preferred to work around and not address the full meaning of that phrase. Until they do, you're idea of what it means is meaningless.

Oh, and I grew up under Eisenhower and all the other presidents thereafter and Reagan was the best president of all of them except for President Trump. So far I rate President Trump above President Reagan. President Reagan was not responsible for that crap machinegun ban the FOPA 1986. He asked the NRA if he should veto it or not and they told him not to. So, there's that. And, I worked for the old I&NS and Reagan was a great president for our agency (President Trump is even better for ICE).

He made a deal with congress to allow the democrat's crap Amnesty program in exchange for laws to allow I&NS to investigate, prosecute, and fine or imprison employers who knowingly employ illegal and unauthorized aliens. That created the first time that all employers in the US had to check their prospective employees for documentation to prove that they were authorized to work. The democrats screwed up that with the Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form that prohibited employers from asking for specific documents to back up their claims on the form. The alien/prospective employee had the option to show their prospective employer whatever documents they wanted to present as long as  they were among those listed on the approved documents list.

Since you're too young to remember, there was a country called Iran that had the Shah of Iran as their leader. He was a friend of the US and was a dictator that ruled Iran with an iron fist. Unfortunately, the opposition was those aligned with the radical anti-American mullahs. The Shah was deposed and Ayatollah Khomeini took over and his stooges (some college students, some not) attacked the US Embassy and took the embassy personnel captive. They were held captive for over a year while President Jimmy Carter fumbled around for over a year. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election and the next day the Iranian "students" released all of their hostages. President Reagan didn't have a chance to order a rescue operation.

Another incident involved Moamar Khadafy, dictator of Libya who had been constantly taking part in funding terrorist attacks and running terrorist training camps in Libya for various Arab terrorist groups. President Reagan ordered a bombing run on one of Khadafy's homes (he wasn't there, but, his daughter was and was killed). Khadafy immediately stopped his aggressively anti-American actions and threats (until he had some of his terrorists put a bomb on a commercial airlines flight that blew up over Lockerbie, England). That was the last terrorist act that Khadafy fronted until his death at the hands of his countrymen, care of Hillary Clinton and her ineptitude. Khadafy was no longer a threat and he was stabilizing Libya from turning into a base for ISIS and Al Qaeda, which is starting to take place now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, your post basically proves that you are a liberal and/or don't understand what Americanism is or Constitutional Conservatism is.  Second, Reagan had his faults like all politicians do.  However, he is the only president in the last umpteen years that actually fought to reduce the size of government and institute supply-side economics.  His tax cuts were the largest in American history.  High tide raises all boats.  He did have to deal the liberals at the time and made some concessions as needed.  
Seems like I understand the Constitution pretty well if I can understand that “shall not be infringed” means exactly that
Well, if you understand the Constitution as well as you claim to, then you know that the Supreme Court was set up to interpret it, not you. So, unless the Supreme Court defines "shall not be infringed" the same way you do, then you lose. Unfortunately, they have not taken up that issue, so far. They've preferred to work around and not address the full meaning of that phrase. Until they do, you're idea of what it means is meaningless.

Oh, and I grew up under Eisenhower and all the other presidents thereafter and Reagan was the best president of all of them except for President Trump. So far I rate President Trump above President Reagan. President Reagan was not responsible for that crap machinegun ban the FOPA 1986. He asked the NRA if he should veto it or not and they told him not to. So, there's that. And, I worked for the old I&NS and Reagan was a great president for our agency (President Trump is even better for ICE).

He made a deal with congress to allow the democrat's crap Amnesty program in exchange for laws to allow I&NS to investigate, prosecute, and fine or imprison employers who knowingly employ illegal and unauthorized aliens. That created the first time that all employers in the US had to check their prospective employees for documentation to prove that they were authorized to work. The democrats screwed up that with the Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form that prohibited employers from asking for specific documents to back up their claims on the form. The alien/prospective employee had the option to show their prospective employer whatever documents they wanted to present as long as  they were among those listed on the approved documents list.

Since you're too young to remember, there was a country called Iran that had the Shah of Iran as their leader. He was a friend of the US and was a dictator that ruled Iran with an iron fist. Unfortunately, the opposition was those aligned with the radical anti-American mullahs. The Shah was deposed and Ayatollah Khomeini took over and his stooges (some college students, some not) attacked the US Embassy and took the embassy personnel captive. They were held captive for over a year while President Jimmy Carter fumbled around for over a year. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election and the next day the Iranian "students" released all of their hostages. President Reagan didn't have a chance to order a rescue operation.

Another incident involved Moamar Khadafy, dictator of Libya who had been constantly taking part in funding terrorist attacks and running terrorist training camps in Libya for various Arab terrorist groups. President Reagan ordered a bombing run on one of Khadafy's homes (he wasn't there, but, his daughter was and was killed). Khadafy immediately stopped his aggressively anti-American actions and threats (until he had some of his terrorists put a bomb on a commercial airlines flight that blew up over Lockerbie, England). That was the last terrorist act that Khadafy fronted until his death at the hands of his countrymen, care of Hillary Clinton and her ineptitude. Khadafy was no longer a threat and he was stabilizing Libya from turning into a base for ISIS and Al Qaeda, which is starting to take place now.
The SCOTUS was NOT set up to interpret the constitution. The SCOTUS  provides a means of redress of laws that are in violation of the constitution. It does not have the constitutional authority of judicial review although that is the power it has grabbed and is one of the biggest problems this country is facing today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what banned ex member are you?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP not conservative.
View Quote
Well considering "Conservatives" can not conserve anything but the rate at which leftism expends and consumes I do not see what the issue is.

Banning MGs, Advocating for AWBs, Open borders, mass immigration, amnesty, giving way entire states to the enemy, Not sure what I should be one rather then a nationalist/restorationist.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Username checks out
View Quote
Not an argument.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So what banned ex member are you?
View Quote
A person with an memory and critical reasoning skills.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#20]
FY    Deficit Debt Increase  Deficit /GDP Events Affecting Deficit
1981 $79    $90                  2.4%           Reagan tax cut.

1982 $128 $144                 3.8%           Reagan's 1st budget.

1983 $208 $235                 5.6%           Jobless rate 10.8%.

1984 $185 $195                 4.5%           Increased defense spending.

1985 $212 $256                 4.8%

1986 $221 $297                 4.8%          Tax cut.

1987 $150 $225                 3.1%          Market crash

1988 $155 $252                 2.9%          Fed raised rates.

2016 $585 $1,423              3.1%           Defense = $767.3 b.

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill that repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, the bill was crafted in response to members of the Black Panther Party who were conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods while they were conducting what would later be termed copwatching. They garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched bearing arms upon the California State Capitol to protest the bill.

Both Republicans and Democrats in California supported increased gun control. Governor Ronald Reagan was present when the protesters arrived and later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."

The bill was signed by Reagan and became California penal code 25850 and 171c.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not an argument.
View Quote
That's because I'm not arguing with you. You've been given plenty of examples of why people liked Reagan, and seem to have neither the perspective or inclination to truly accept them.

You can't take any president in a vacuum. You take their predecessors, the congress and SCOTUS they have to work with, and the state of international affairs at the time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
The 1986 Gun law was a compromise to repealing the Gun control ACT of 1968.

Our 2nd Amendment rights had already been infringed. The only way to get some of those rights back was to offer something else up in exchange. Machine guns were lost in the trade.

Any time the government takes something, you will never get it back in full, they will get something in return. That's the lesson here. Reagan was a fine president from the history I read and I'm two years older than you, OP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#25]
May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:
We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Reagan changed their votes?

More like Reagan solidified their votes. They used Reagan as an excuse to give up our rights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Reagan fucked up on machine guns and import bans, no question.  Were he alive today with a chance to do it over, I have no doubt he would realize that too.  He did give us FOPA though (for as little used as it is).
View Quote
FOPA was of little use?

FOPA saved our ass when Willie was POTUS.

The MG ban was something they could do at any time. It wasn't defendable ground. Hence why they argued MGs in Heller (note: that was the anti side bringing MGs up).
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pretty low standards. By that measure he was Thomas Jefferson.
View Quote
No, Jefferson wasn't a good POTUS. Or SoS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:
We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
View Quote
Yeah, he wasn't perfect. Asked and answered. Remember the whole Alzheimer's deal?

All your posts stink of single-issue dipshitism.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah, he wasn’t the worst president ever, but:

-He didn’t cause the collapse of the USSR
-He opened the door to trade dependency with the Chinese Communists
-He didn’t do shit about jihadists killing almost 300 of our service members
-He conspired with the Fudd parts of the NRA to infringe on our Second Amendment rights and supported an AWB after leaving office
-He didn’t intervene to stop thatcher from handing over Hong Kong to the Commies without so much as a polite word against it

View Quote
-He banned open carry in California during his time as governor.
-He signed a bill allowing abortion while governor.
-He wasn't quite the champion of conservatism some make him out to be.

Liberals hate him because he was a Republican.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://staging.snopes.com/app/uploads/2012/01/debtchart.jpg
View Quote
What a pack of shit. Obama raised the debt more than all the others combined.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
He was the most conservative POTUS since Coolidge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spending originates in the House.

Who controlled the House under Reagan?

Who controlled the House the last 6 years of obama?

Yeah,I know the signed off on it,but.......

Reagan was a decent man,but way too many put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure Reagan grew the debt, we had a kickass military to prove it, but should we be trusting your source, "The Democrat Leader"?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I was happy he was my C-in-C when I was in the service. I felt sorry for those who served under Clinton and later Obama.

His strategy DID win the Cold War. We outspent their asses. I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill everyone on the Internet who read my post.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That last guy spent more then all the rest combined.

If I have a penny of debt  and borrow two, I have done little damage to an economy, if I have 9 trillion dollars of debt and borrow another 10  or 11, I've done a lot of damage.

With that 600 billion, we actually got something substantive out of it, with that last 10 trillion or so, we didn't see shit.

[notice how that graph was from 2011?]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to any President serving between their terms, he was.
But compared to Coolidge, Reagan was a moderate.
Coolidge set the bar to an untouchable point.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was happy he was my C-in-C when I was in the service. I felt sorry for those who served under Clinton and later Obama.

His strategy DID win the Cold War. We outspent their asses. I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill everyone on the Internet who read my post.
View Quote
Having the worlds reserve currency and the petro dollar sure helped...........
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FOPA was of little use?

The MG ban was something they could do at any time. It wasn't defendable ground. Hence why they argued MGs in Heller (note: that was the anti side bringing MGs up).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reagan fucked up on machine guns and import bans, no question.  Were he alive today with a chance to do it over, I have no doubt he would realize that too.  He did give us FOPA though (for as little used as it is).
FOPA was of little use?

Reread what I said.

What I said was little USED.

IOW, we don't use it ENOUGH to shut down places like NY, NJ, MA, etc., that fuck with law abiding gun owners transporting firearms.

It could be of ENORMOUS use if we use it to it's full potential, yet we don't.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Reread what I said.

IOW, we don't use it ENOUGH to shut down places like NY, NJ, MA, etc., that fuck with law abiding gun owners transporting firearms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FOPA was of little use?

Reread what I said.

Yep,the Feds should absolutely be curbstomping those fucking states.

I don't see it happening........
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Reread what I said.

View Quote
It is federal law. States have their own laws.

CA. HI and others record gun purchases in a database, for example, which the feds can't do.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That last guy spent more then all the rest combined.

If I have a penny of debt  and borrow two, I have done little damage to an economy, if I have 9 trillion dollars of debt and borrow another 10  or 11, I've done a lot of damage.

With that 600 billion, we actually got something substantive out of it, with that last 10 trillion or so, we didn't see shit.

[notice how that graph was from 2011?]
View Quote
Also, the balanced budgets of the 90s were due to the end of the Cold War and to the economic good times of Reagan much more than to the politicians of the '90s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Compared to any President serving between their terms, he was.
But compared to Coolidge, Reagan was a moderate.
Coolidge set the bar to an untouchable point.
View Quote
At this point the government has grown to such an extent that you can't be a Coolidge anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Also, the balanced budgets of the 90s were due to the end of the Cold War and to the economic good times of Reagan much more than to the politicians of the '90s.
View Quote
Absolutely.

As I said at the time, Clinton got credit for everything Reagan ever did.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not trying to defend Reagan's cavalier fiscal policies, but these figures reflect even worse on Reagan's successors because they are percentages not sums.
Any POTUS who increases US national debt by any percentage at this point is an absolute asshole.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Reagan was a decent man,but way too many put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is the entire point of the OP. He was shit loads better than Carter or Clinton or the Bushes, sure, but he really doesn’t deserve the almost saintly devotion that he obviously receives.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And there it is.

These young people are incapable of understanding, because they lack the perspective gained from having to endure the Carter years.

They've never had to wait three hours in line to receive their gasoline ration, and only on alternate days based on their license plate.

My daughter has never had to endure that kind of hardship, and I'm grateful for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there it is.

I had a conversation with a mid-20s snot-nose from california at work the other day.   The conversation rolled around to my visiting East Berlin in the early 70s, the Berlin Wall and the people who died trying to cross it.     His response?  "Why would they want to do that?"  It was a hostile question, like "who the fuck are you?" He genuinely did not know why people would risk death to escape the East.  I had to spend another several minutes explaining WHY  WEST BERLIN WAS BETTER THAN EAST BERLIN.   I don't think he believed me, let alone understand.

It is very disheartening to me to witness the corruption of history and the utter inversion of the lessons of the post WWII era.   OP's clueless drivel is only the latest in a long line of successively more detached confabulations.   I really think it has gotten worse since ~y2k, with the ubiquity of internet echo chambers.

I will be happy when I die, because I'll know I won't have to witness OP's army's march over the grave of history any longer.   Let him live in his brave new world.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which is the entire point of the OP. He was shit loads better than Carter or Clinton or the Bushes, sure, but he really doesn’t deserve the almost saintly devotion that he obviously receives.
View Quote
He was the reason why Bushs ever got close to power to begin with, if Bush 41 was not his VP we both know that moron would not have been POTUS or his idiot son.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This explains everything.  Now hush adults are talking.
View Quote
Adults??
He is two years away from being old!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Trumps salad days are 87x mo beta
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top