Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/28/2019 12:31:31 AM EDT
Can you imagine signing off on a beast like this?

Though I could have legally. Told the guy it was outside the scope of my work and liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Told him I never signed off on disability claims of any kind.

A general practice doc gave it to him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of "mastiff"?

I had an english masstiff/lab mix and it was our first baby.

Wish she was still with us.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Freedom is scary
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
“Mixed”, half bull mastiff. Couldn’t tell me what the mixed half was.

Not like it would make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
We had English mastiffs on the farm when I was growing up. They were great with kids, livestock, and other dogs. Really, all they did was sleep and fart.

Why wouldn't they be as good as any other dog for that role? I mean, 99% of this "emotional support" stuff is bullshit anyway, so what difference does it make?

I'm genuinely curious, not looking to argue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m not inflicting that on the world.

An emotional support dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The Mastiff is one of the sweetest, most chill dogs you'll ever come across. In fact, the reason that the Bullmastiff (60% Mastiff/40% Bulldog) was even bred is because the Mastiff wasn't as agile and aggressive as they needed it to be. There is nothing to fear from a Mastiff.....unless you're in the process of injuring his human. In that case, you're probably going to get mauled by a 200 lb. dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Please explain- under what capacity are you "signing off" on a service dog? Are you certifying that you've trained the dog to perform a specific job for someone with a disability, or ????

Edit- how does a Doctor "sign off"/attest to a dogs performance? Is he/she a part time trainer?

Edit 2- your post is about an emotional support dog NOT a service dog. I'm still curious how a Doctor "signs off" on a specific dogs ability and suitability to perform "emotional support".
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Just curious, could you sign off if it was a Great Dane?

I'm a Verizon installer so I get to deal with a lot of different breeds.  Probably dealt with about 15 mastiffs, only 1 was shady, not aggressive but so nervous I'm sure it would bite if it felt cornered.

I've dealt with probably 50 Great Danes, haven't found a bad one yet, but my god will their bark scare you.  They're fun dogs, face usually planted right by mine while I am working.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re a shrink? Because dog trainers have nothing to do with ESA status.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please explain- under what capacity are you "signing off" on a service dog? Are you certifying that you've trained the dog to perform a specific job for someone with a disability, or ????

Edit- how does a Doctor "sign off"/attest to a dogs performance? Is he/she a part time trainer?

Edit 2- your post is about an emotional support dog NOT a service dog. I'm still curious how a Doctor "signs off" on a particulars dogs ability and suitability to perform "emotional support".
View Quote
After that post he isn't signing off on you either!!!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I can sign off  based on the person’s need. I am not an animal trainer,

You guys are telling me the mastiff is sweet. Fine. I accept your experience.

But I don’t want to give service dog status to some untrained animal or really any animal so you can then fly with it or go to a restaurant.

Nobody can challenge service dog status. I’m not giving somebody cover for that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread is going to go great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just curious, could you sign off if it was a Great Dane?

I'm a Verizon installer so I get to deal with a lot of different breeds.  Probably dealt with about 15 mastiffs, only 1 was shady, not aggressive but so nervous I'm sure it would bite if it felt cornered.

I've dealt with probably 50 Great Danes, haven't found a bad one yet, but my god will their bark scare you.  They're fun dogs, face usually planted right by mine while I am working.
View Quote
Do you want to grocery shop with a Great Dane? That’s the question. Had one wander into a sandwich shop and grab my sub one time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]
We have had 2 Mastiffs, both gone now.   Chester the molester (nick name) was one gentle giant at 240 lbs.   Ellie a rescue was the same, but only 160.

Chester would do anything but give you the key to the front door, which we never locked. You just had to go up on the porch and try to get to the door.  Ellie was his back up.

I suppose someone could breed a monstrosity, that would be a wicked combo.  That said it would take the hate to drain that dog into evil.

OP needs to explain WTF he is talking about, for clarity.

That said though, a Mastiff doesn't make sense as a service dog, but it could probably be done in the right capacity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Mastiff is one of the sweetest, most chill dogs you'll ever come across. In fact, the reason that the Bullmastiff (60% Mastiff/40% Bulldog) was even bred is because the Mastiff wasn't as agile and aggressive as they needed it to be. There is nothing to fear from a Mastiff.....unless you're in the process of injuring his human. In that case, you're probably going to get mauled by a 200 lb. dog.
View Quote
Nothing to fear? Not at all true.

Tail strikes to the knees and balls, farts that could strip paint, and you could slip and fall on drool spots.

Very dangerous creatures.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you want to grocery shop with a Great Dane? That's the question. Had one wander into a sandwich shop and grab my sub one time.
View Quote
Legitimate question:  Is this the criteria that decides what does and does not get a sign off?

It seems to me that "I don't want to be in a store with this breed of dog because (insert personal preference or dislike here), so I won't sign off" is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This thread is going to go great.
View Quote
Hahaha...  Let  the BS begin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Listen you bastards, I ain't singing off on any of you!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is confusing so I searched the net.

It appears only licensed Mental Health Professionals can prescribe an ESA (emotional support animal). Medical doctors cannot. Is this correct? How did a General Practice Doc prescribe one?

It also appears that the prescription is for an ESA, but NOT any specific animal. That would mean you would NOT be "signing off" on the dog, just the person. Is that correct?

It seems pretty clear that ESA's do not have the rights/privileges of a service dog either.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you want to grocery shop with a Great Dane? That’s the question. Had one wander into a sandwich shop and grab my sub one time.
View Quote
Honestly, I'm over the whole damned service dog thing.  Out of the gazillion people I know that have their dog licensed, only 1 truly needs it, he lost his wife and his son, he's a fucking mess and has a super obedient friendly mini pinscher with him 24/7.  I don't fault you for not granting a mastiff or any other dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Edit 2- your post is about an emotional support dog NOT a service dog. I'm still curious how a Doctor "signs off" on a specific dogs ability and suitability to perform "emotional support".
View Quote
You provide a letter over your signature. The problem is that professionals are signing off on untrained animals- chickens, ferrets, you name it.

I’m not participating in this lunacy.

Wiki says it simply:

A service dog is a term used in the USA to refer to any type of assistance dog specifically trained to help people who have disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing impairments, mental disorders, seizures, mobility impairment, and diabetes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#22]
There are all kinds of mastiffs.  Bulldogs are a mastiff breed and Bimba is extremely gregarious and happy around people

She is also my service dog and she helps me whenever I suffer an attack of paralytic garanditis.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tail strikes to the knees and balls, farts that could strip paint, and you could slip and fall on drool spots.

View Quote

You forgot about when they shake their heads and foot-long streamers of drool go flying everywhere. I remember seeing em stick to the ceiling a few times!

I'm starting to side with OP on this!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You provide a letter over your signature. The problem is that professionals are signing off on untrained animals- chickens, ferrets, you name it.

Wiki says it simply:

A service dog is a term used in the USA to refer to any type of assistance dog specifically trained to help people who have disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing impairments, mental disorders, seizures, mobility impairment, and diabetes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wiki says it simply:

Wiki appears to be describing a generic use of the term "service dog" but NOT the legal definition of a service dog. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has a clear legal description. Emotional support doesn't qualify.

Edit- more digging shows there are some Federal regulations about "assistance animals" (which are NOT service animals). Those regs don't appear to effect much except landlords and transportation. The regs do give people the ability to ban or evict a problem animal though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw a great Dane service dog the other day. It actually looked like it worked well for the guy because it looked like a sight dog and was easy to hold onto the harness on it's back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are all kinds of mastiffs.  Bulldogs are a mastiff breed and Bimba is extremely gregarious and happy around people

She is also my service dog and she helps me whenever I suffer an attack of paralytic garanditis.
View Quote
One of the big ones.

Hope you have a full recovery from garanditis.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I can sign off based on the person’s need. I am not an animal trainer,
View Quote
If you're not a trainer,or someone with certified credentials, why are you "signing off" on any animal?

Seems that you are signing off on a liability you can never counter, with a knowledge you can never prove.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You forgot about when they shake their heads and foot-long streamers of drool go flying everywhere. I remember seeing em stick to the ceiling a few times!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I didn't forget, I've cleaned many walls and ceilings around here.

Sadly our drooly girl hasn't been with us for a few years, and our English has always been pretty dry mouthed. The puppy hasn't grown into her face yet, but she's a bullie and will probably make a mess. She was also 87lbs at the vets today.

No way in hell I would parade them around in some degrading service dog vest, or make them visit a grocery store, though. They're most content holding the couch down at home.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wiki appears to be describing a generic use of the term "service dog" but NOT the legal definition of a service dog. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) has a clear legal description. Emotional support doesn't qualify.

Edit- more digging shows there are some Federal regulations about "assistance animals" (which are NOT service animals). Those regs don't appear to effect much except landlords. The regs do give landlords plenty of ability to ban or evict a problem animal though.
View Quote
This is being abused all the time.

I have seen trained dogs become no more than family pets because this has become such a train wreck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Here’s a proper use of a dog.

No way in hell I would parade them around in some degrading service dog vest, or make them visit a grocery store, though. They're most content holding the couch down at home.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you're not a trainer,or someone with certified credentials, why are you "signing off" on any animal?

Seems that you are signing off on a liability you can never counter, with a knowledge you can never prove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can sign off based on the person’s need. I am not an animal trainer,

The OP has a serious lack of communication skills, that much is clear.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could I get you to sign off on my emotional support gun?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here's a proper use of a dog.
View Quote
How are you determining this, on a professional level?  What are the criteria that you must follow, as whatever your profession is, to make this yes/no decision?

I am not a fan a miniature horse clopping into a restaurant either, I think it is ridiculous but I don't make these decisions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Edit- more digging shows there are some Federal regulations about "assistance animals" (which are NOT service animals). Those regs don't appear to effect much except landlords and transportation. The regs do give people the ability to ban or evict a problem animal though.
View Quote
the Fair Housing Administration (FHA) does dictate that emotional support animals must be accepted in any kind of government subsidized housing.

However, everything else, are only compelled to accept service animals (K9's and miniature ponies). The fact that too many companies either don't understand the distinction or the law, or are afraid of legal action (even if in the right), as made it a shitshow, as you can see with all the articles about people bringing all kinds of emotional support animals on planes or in stores.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How are you determining this, on a professional level?  What are the criteria that you must follow, as whatever your profession is, to make this yes/no decision?

I am not a fan a miniature horse clopping into a restaurant either, I think it is ridiculous but I don't make these decisions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This may help you see what is at issue in my situation.

Emotional support animals have privileges in the State of Texas, according to federal laws. These animals are not considered pets, but assistance animals. Because they offer emotional support to their owners, they can live and fly with them. What’s more, unlike with regular pets, you don’t have to pay any extra deposit or fee for housing or transportation. Apart from this, every state has its own regulations about these animals. Read on to learn more about Texas emotional support animal laws.
https://esadoctors.com/texas-emotional-support-animal/
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The OP has a serious lack of communication skills, that much is clear.
View Quote
Naw, might be me, I'm 3 beer down.

Hoping for clarification.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:50:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This may help you see what is at issue in my situation.

https://esadoctors.com/texas-emotional-support-animal/
View Quote
OK, you just used the example of "I don't want to be in a store with a Great Dane.  One stole my sandwich once." and referred to the Dane as a "beast".

While I am not a fan of every fucking thing under the sun becoming some sort of "service animal"...at all... and I understand the abuse of the system that is happening,  I would be very weary of using your personal preferences to make these decisions in a professional capacity.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Could I get you to sign off on my emotional support gun?
View Quote
This makes more sense than a dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Max says you need to chill.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#40]
*BOOP*
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Buttmastiffs are often bred and trained to attack genitals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But I don’t want to give service dog status to some untrained animal or really any animal so you can then fly with it or go to a restaurant.

Nobody can challenge service dog status. I’m not giving somebody cover for that.
View Quote
Like hell they can't. If your need for the service animal isn't covered by ADA then they don't have to allow the animal in.  Pretty sure emotional support is not a protected disability that needs a service animal.

Edit fixed typos.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Of course whatever we think, GD does have an emotional support penguin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Slip and fall?  Hell I've seen some I could've drowned in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can you imagine signing off on a beast like this?

Though I could have legally. Told the guy it was outside the scope of my work and liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Told him I never signed off on disability claims of any kind.

A general practice doc gave it to him.
View Quote
My DIL’s AST is a registered service dog. What’s the big deal.

She doesn’t fly with him or shop with him. They car travel so he gets into the hotel without a bunch of bullshit. He stays in his crate.

And he doesn’t fart much or drool.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#46]
They are just big lazy retarded dogs
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Like hell they can't. If your need for the service animal isn't covered by ADA then they don't have to allow the animal in.  Pretty sure emotional support is not a protected disability that needs a service animal.

Edit fixed typos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit fixed typos.
That’s not how the law works.  If someone has a service animal, I’m only BY LAW allowed to ask two questions.  Is this a service animal required due to a disability?   What work or task has the animal been trained to perform.

His point is accurate.  It’s dangerous to challenge a person with an animal that they are claiming is a service animal.  Lawsuits are a very real threat.

ETA: It’s common to have someone try to pass off a support dog as a service dog.  I don’t want to lose my job over being wrong.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They are just big lazy retarded dogs
View Quote
My FIL owns a Cane Corso, which is a Mastiff (not registered as anything other than as a pure bred with the AKC).  I have dog sat her at my house for a week each on two occasions.  She is very intelligent and responds without hesitation to verbal commands that are only needed once.

She is my only experience with the breed but that one, is certainly not retarded.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Now I know doctor speak for "FUCK NO!" roughly translates as "That's outside the scope of my work" or something thereabouts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus, she’s working 24/7. Poor thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top