Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/3/2023 11:42:58 AM EDT
IRS penalty for underpaying estimated taxes jumps to 8% of the shortfall from 3% two years ago - with freelancers and the self-employed most at risk

The IRS penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes is up sharply this year, with self-employed and freelance workers at the biggest risk of getting hit.

The penalty, calculated quarterly based on the Federal Reserve's benchmark rate, hit 8 percent on October 1, up from just 3 percent in early 2021, when Fed rates were near zero.

The penalty rate applies to shortfalls in estimated taxes, which self-employed workers pay the IRS quarterly based on their earnings for the period.

Employees who have income taxes deducted from their paychecks generally do not have to pay estimated taxes, and are unlikely to be impacted by the new fine.

But for the self-employed, the new higher fine is yet another consequence of the Fed's aggressive rate hikes, which the central bank has deployed to battle inflation.

The IRS calculates the underpayment penalty by taking the Fed's benchmark rate for the quarter and adding 3 percent.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the IRS assessed more than $1.8 billion in penalties for underpaying estimated taxes on nearly 12.2 million individual returns in fiscal year 2022.

The IRS expects workers to pay taxes as they go, whether through paycheck withholding for employees or quarterly payments for self-employed workers.

Those rules apply to the period in question — meaning that if you underpay estimated taxes for a single quarter, you could still be penalized even if you pay more than is owed for the entire year.

According to the IRS, you can avoid an underpayment penalty fine if your filed tax return shows you owe less than $1,000.

As well, anyone who pays at least 90 percent of what they owe for the tax year in question, or 100 percent of what they owed the prior year, is granted safe harbor from the fines.  

Not every freelancer has to pay estimated taxes.

Generally, if you pay federal withholding through an employer, and have a small freelance 'side hustle,' you will not be required to pay estimated taxes each quarter.

The deadline to pay estimated taxes for the final quarter of 2023 is January 15, however, if you file your 2023 tax return by January 31 and pay all taxes you owe for the year, that deadline does not apply.

Link
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
FUCK the irs
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I never found the old penalty for underpayment of estimated tax to be anything worth worrying about.  At 8% I might reconsider that.

It's very hard for my wife and me to estimate our tax liability for 2023.  Her medical expenses for this year are insane, much higher than 2022 for which we ended up having to fork over a little over $7K to the feds, while inexplicably getting about a $400 refund from the state.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
It's almost like elections have consequences.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Biden leading from the front on lowering fees.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Meanwhile in the banana republic

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The online whores who make money showing skin, how would they even know how much to estimate?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, they dont have the bite that they use too. They have to go after the low hanging fruit of those that actually participate with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FUCK the irs
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I did a relatively small ROTH conversion last year and if I remember correctly there was a smallish fine or penalty of some type assessed,  I think I owed about $3K, I am doing another one this month for a smaller amount so I upped my tax withholding a bit not long ago.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#11]
The irs needs to be disbanded.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Commies suck.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
“Show me the man and i’ll show you the crime.”
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The IRS is an evil and immoral institution and I’d rather deal with anti-gunners than pro-IRS people.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
FIRS.

In 2022, FIRS levied a $140 underpayment penalty against me EVEN THOUGH I RECEIVED A REFUND.  Just a letter, no explanation, no nothing.

FIRS.

Don't get me wrong, if I had underpaid or had an incorrect deduction, whatever, OK.  Then I owed it.  But how does one receive a penalty for underpaying when one gets a refund?

FIRS
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never paid the quarterly estimates. That is as dumb as overpaying FIT so you get a big refund.

Fpni
Fuck the irs
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Now aggressively go after the student loan default crowd.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
This is technically just a fed rate increase and the IRS penalty is pegged to it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FUCK the irs
View Quote

So much.  Not good enough for them to get their pound of flesh every year - they want to f with us every quarter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I self identify as already having paid my taxes. How dare you assume I didn't.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The online whores who make money showing skin, how would they even know how much to estimate?
View Quote

Onlyfans probably has better analytical tools that 90% of businesses.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Great.  There is no way in hell I can accurately estimate my income for the year.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
The IRS hates productive people
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#24]
The left hates the self-empmoyed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Fucking corrupt public dependent parasites
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So much.  Not good enough for them to get their pound of flesh every year - they want to f with us every quarter.
View Quote

This problem will be solved by the new 87,000 IRS agents Brandon wants.

We even have some IRS people in GD who support that.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never found the old penalty for underpayment of estimated tax to be anything worth worrying about.  At 8% I might reconsider that.

It's very hard for my wife and me to estimate our tax liability for 2023.  Her medical expenses for this year are insane, much higher than 2022 for which we ended up having to fork over a little over $7K to the feds, while inexplicably getting about a $400 refund from the state.  
View Quote
Your estimates are 110% of prior year tax payments
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#28]

One of the greatest mysteries is how all this got built without taxing people's income

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great.  There is no way in hell I can accurately estimate my income for the year.
View Quote

They want you to overestimate and overpay, then wait for them to give you back your own money without interest.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Onlyfans probably has better analytical tools that 90% of businesses.
View Quote

Yup.  They put the "anal" in analytical.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They want you to overestimate and overpay, then wait for them to give you back your own money without interest.
View Quote

I did that and they STILL penalized me.  See my post above.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm tax blind, so going to request a pass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#33]
So lets pretend I am very stupid with money.

AND...

At the beginning of each quarter. I write a check to the IRS for $100,000.00 because I think that's what my taxes will be for each quarter.

my actual taxes are

$80,000 first quarter.
$120,000 second quarter.
$80,000 third quarter.
$75,000 fourth quarter.

I would have paid more in the year than I owed but because of my 2nd quarter underpayment I get fined.

Thats some stupid ass shit if its even close to something like this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Years ago in another business I overestimated and paid more in the first three quarters than I owed for the whole year. So I didn’t pay my fourth payment.

I got fined, and a refund, in the same year.

I hate thieves.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So lets pretend I am very stupid with money.

AND...

At the beginning of each quarter. I write a check to the IRS for $100,000.00 because I think that's what my taxes will be for each quarter.

my actual taxes are

$80,000 first quarter.
$120,000 second quarter.
$80,000 third quarter.
$75,000 fourth quarter.

I would have paid more in the year than I owed but because of my 2nd quarter underpayment I get fined.

Thats some stupid ass shit if its even close to something like this.
View Quote

They want you to hire a CPA to give you an EXACT number each quarter.  CPAs are in cahoots with the IRS to keep them all employed.

Flat tax is best tax.  Of course, 87% of all CPAs would lose their jobs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's almost like elections have consequences.
View Quote

This is likely tied to statutory interest - which yes, has been impacted by economic policy, but may not be a directed policy but a statutory response.

Same as judgments, awards etc use some statutory indicator.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/interest-rates-increase-for-the-fourth-quarter-2023

Looks like exactly that

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can assure you that three letter agencies such as the IRS, ATF, and FBI etc are not getting disbanded. Perhaps as the FBI expands its powers other three letter agencies will be absorbed by their tentacles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
They really hate small business owners or LLCs, or even people just selling used crap on ebay.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I did that and they STILL penalized me.  See my post above.  
View Quote

You have to make quarterly estimated payments by a certain date each quarter not to get penalized.  Thise payments need to be exactly, or more than, 1/4 of what you will end up owing at the end of the year.  Since it is impossible to know the future, you will have to overestimate your earnings by a safe margin in order to not get hit with a penalty.

Meanwhile that money is unavailable to you, but the IRS will not pay you interest on it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can assure you that three letter agencies such as the IRS, ATF, and FBI etc are not getting disbanded. Perhaps as the FBI expands its powers other three letter agencies will be absorbed by their tentacles.
View Quote

Wrong.

The other agencies will just whine, "But the FBI got bigger, so why can't WE get bigger, too?"

And Brandon will say, "Sure.  Here's 87,000 new employees."
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They really hate small business owners or LLCs, or even people just selling used crap on ebay.
View Quote

Pick up that 1099, citizen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait til you find out about the Corporate Transparency Act.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wrong.

The other agencies will just whine, "But the FBI got bigger, so why can't WE get bigger, too?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Here's 87,000 new armed employees.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'm not going to.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FIRS.

In 2022, FIRS levied a $140 underpayment penalty against me EVEN THOUGH I RECEIVED A REFUND.  Just a letter, no explanation, no nothing.

FIRS.

Don't get me wrong, if I had underpaid or had an incorrect deduction, whatever, OK.  Then I owed it.  But how does one receive a penalty for underpaying when one gets a refund?

FIRS
View Quote

hush peasant

you dare question the King...
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Irs shouldnt exist
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Your estimates are 110% of prior year tax payments
View Quote

I thought if you paid as an estimate 100% of last years tax payments you were okay as predicting future income can be difficult.

I use a CPA and let him figure it out.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Self employed here.  My income and expenses are vairable.  It is very difficult to estimate taxes.  I shoot for the 100% of the previous year.

Sometimes I feel like all I am doing is work to pay taxes, especially with the self employment tax.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top