Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/2/2021 11:08:27 PM EDT
I have been doing some reading on the Stuart and its M3 family. I always thought this was a neat tank but info on it in combat is lacking despite it being everywhere. Does anyone know a good place to read about it in a book or documentary . As well as the Stuart I also am interested in the M24 Chaffee. Here is a good link about post war use https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2020/10/18/strange-stuarts-of-brazil/
Pic to start this off
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been doing some reading on the Stuart and its M3 family. I always thought this was a neat tank but info on it in combat is lacking despite it being everywhere. Does anyone know a good place to read about it in a book or documentary . As well as the Stuart I also am interested in the M24 Chaffee. Here is a good link about post war use https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2020/10/18/strange-stuarts-of-brazil/
Pic to start this off
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/0B7913B6-2284-48A1-95E4-E065E997EA92_jpe-1761201.JPG

View Quote

Last time I seen Mike Brown (of Group Industries fame) he still had three.

Nice dude to talk with. Loves his Stuarts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Last time I seen Mike Brown (of Group Industries fame) he still had three.

Nice dude to talk with. Loves his Stuarts.
View Quote
Only one I have seen up close was at the D Day Museum here. We used to have a significant tank collection but the owner sold it post 911. I cant remember if he had a stuart but he had 10-15 willys jeeps ,Shermans, M48 maybe even an M60 he kept the M4 behind the donut shop here in a single garage. I miss them being in Mardi Gras parades .
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the Walker Bulldog?

LC
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any good books on them, M3 Stuarts, but loved the Haunted Tank comics as a kid.  Memory of them was they were essentially obsolete by early WW2, but they served in a variety of roles.  Primarily recon and infantry support.

In the Pacific theater, they faired better than the European theater, as the Japanese tanks were not as modern or effective as the German tanks of the day.  They were also relatively fast, and could navigate some of the tighter confines of jungles in the Pacific.  In the hedge rows of Normandy, they also had some success navigating those tight confines, and breaching said hedge rows with improvised hedge cutters.

What's fascinating, is there are modernized versions of the Stuart with 75mm guns, upgraded armor and drive trains still serving today in Central and South America all these years later.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Lifted one a couple years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]

That’s cool. Is there a fun story behind the need for the lift/tow?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember this. Did you get to go inside or hear anything interesting about this one?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about the Walker Bulldog?

LC
View Quote
Forgot about that one!
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s cool. Is there a fun story behind the need for the lift/tow?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's in a city park that got some grant money for improvements.  The slab it was sitting on was breaking up badly so they wanted us to move it up the hill temporarily so they could remove the old slab and build a new one.  It's all welded shut, but I was able to see that it has a pretty cool radial engine in it.   The engine looks to be in way better shape than the rest of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
It gets a lot of criticism for its weak armament and armor, though both were on par with other scout vehicles of the period.  Could be it was used for medium tank jobs for which it was ill-suited.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It gets a lot of criticism for its weak armament and armor, though both were on par with other scout vehicles of the period.  Could be it was used for medium tank jobs for which it was ill-suited.
View Quote
Its weird we hear so much more about half tracks. I guess because they have a larger civilian ownership
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I recall reading some stories of M5 equipped Cav/recon units in the ETO being used in frontal attacks that were disasters (which, of course, you aren’t supposed to do, so it should not be surprising that it was a disaster).  Cant remember where I read that tho

Most armies in WWII used their obsolete light tanks for scouting, kinda regardless of how well suited the design was.  I recall standing next to an M5 and thinking how it was surprisingly tall - not what you want for sneaking around, or for stability in rough terrain.

The US Army knew the M5 simply wasn’t up to the task, and therefore got the M24, which was a vast improvement.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If memory serves there's still Walker Bulldogs in use in Centra America, in Uruguay, Thailand, and I thought Singapore.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If memory serves there's still Walker Bulldogs in use in Centra America, in Uruguay, Thailand, and I thought Singapore.
View Quote

Still a few Stuarts in South America as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chile used M24’s upgraded with an Israeli (or Italian?) designed 60mm high velocity gun - supposed to have 90mm performance that could fit in the small turret ring of the M24 and M4.
Linky
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Look for a book called “Brazen Chariots” by Major Robert Crisp. Deals with the British fighting with M3 Stuarts in the African campaign.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The French used their M24s to good effect in Indochina. Light tanks are great when your enemy has none!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]
We were just talking about M5's field modified into "T8 limited standard" reconnaissance vehicles and kangaroos (cargo carriers and ersatz APC's, a squad or so of troops packed into the fighting compartment where the turret used to be) in the Great photos of WWII thread: Link

Turret lifted off and replaced with a halftrack machine gun ring to reduce profile and increase speed to make it a better recon vehicle:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Command vehicle with a raised lip so the Brigadier General can stand:
Attachment Attached File

I'd like to know more about how light tanks were really used in Europe.  Recon I know about, but were they used with infantry divisions as IFV's, like a Bradley minus the squad in the trunk?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Best book on the American light tank is R. P. Hunnicutt's Stuart: A History of The American Light Tank.  I have his entire series.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The Bear of Kinmen
 After running out of ammunition they used it to run over Commies ??

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Its weird we hear so much more about half tracks. I guess because they have a larger civilian ownership
View Quote

American Half tracks are stupid easy to maintain to this day.

The lack of universal carriers has always surprised me. They made a ridiculous number of them, but actual examples are pretty rare
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We were just talking about M5's field modified into "T8 limited standard" reconnaissance vehicles and kangaroos (cargo carriers and ersatz APC's, a squad or so of troops packed into the fighting compartment where the turret used to be) in the Great photos of WWII thread: Link

Turret lifted off and replaced with a halftrack machine gun ring to reduce profile and increase speed to make it a better recon vehicle:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart-recce_jpg-1759342.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Tr51680-1_jpg-1759349.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart_v_jpg-1759348.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuartreccehood_jpg-1759512.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/T55_jpg-1759499.JPG

I'd like to know more about how light tanks were really used in Europe.  Recon I know about, but were they used with infantry divisions as IFV's, like a Bradley minus the squad in the trunk?
View Quote
That's awesome.  It's like a oversized Bren Carrier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Retreated from the Japanese as a M3 Stuart and returned later as  a command vehicle.  

In December 1941 the 7th Armoured Brigade (7th Hussars and 2nd Royal Tank Regiment) was sent to Singapore with their Stuart tanks. The city fell before they arrived, and so they were sent to Burma instead. They fought a series of stubborn rearguard actions during the retreat, but only one Stuart was able to cross the final river barriers. This tank went to the Indian 7th Light Cavalry, where it was turned into a turretless command tank called 'Curse of Scotland' and was used by Lt. Col. Jack Barlow.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#27]
My great grandfather served in the ETO in a Stuart.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Steven Zaloga also has a couple of the Osprey military series books on the Stuart tanks.
Attachment Attached File

And he wrote the squadron/signal “in action” Stuart booklet
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The French used their M24s to good effect in Indochina. Light tanks are great when your enemy has none!
View Quote

The French had Stuarts too in Vietnam, one got trapped, the crew pretty much died a gruesome death.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Look for a book called "Brazen Chariots" by Major Robert Crisp. Deals with the British fighting with M3 Stuarts in the African campaign.
View Quote
Thats the same bottom but the actual medium tank right?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart-recce_jpg-1759342.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Tr51680-1_jpg-1759349.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart_v_jpg-1759348.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuartreccehood_jpg-1759512.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/T55_jpg-1759499.JPG

View Quote
Cool post! Like I said all the literature I can find is about sherman and pershings . Nothing really about scout tanks, tactics,losses or wins. Yet you see them all the way till 1945 in Germany and even post war while other tanks were retired out. Last year I learned the Air Force was
still using the B25 bomber for multi engine training in the early 1960s . Guy was an SR71 pilot that learned in them 2 years prior to flying the blackbird. It appears the Stuart may have been used as a training tank until after Korea in the US
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Steven Zaloga also has a couple of the Osprey military series books on the Stuart tanks.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319879/DC29C2BE-B253-42B6-B93C-F528B0F3D9EA_jpe-1761357.JPG

And he wrote the squadron/signal "in action" Stuart booklet
View Quote
Are these picture books or actual first hand accounts ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd love to own and use one.

How's the ammo supply lately?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are these picture books or actual first hand accounts ?
View Quote

Zaloga is a writer. Maj. Crisp's Brazen Chariots is the only first hand account of tank battles in a M-3 Stuart.  M-3 Stuarts saw a lot of action in the Pacific and in Buna Campaign (New Guinea).  Later USMC Stuart tankers found a novel way to get rid of Japanese infantry hidden in trees. Once one was located and it was safe to approach the coconut tree, the Stuart would push the tree such that it bent (palmetto is very flexible).  Then the tank would reverse and the tree would catapult its occupant while eager Marines would use the flying soldier as a trap target.  It'll be covered in my sniping book.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#35]
M22 Locust, airborne tank.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#36]
So would we be including scorpions and scimitars in this discussion?
Cause they are cool to me and possibly fit the criteria
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#37]
A buddy and I were bidding on some small us tank years ago untill our now Ex's figured it out and lost their shit. ??
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

M24's at Dien Bien Phu were brought in disassembled.  They bolted them together on the ground. Evidently, they were pretty handy until eventually destroyed.

Iirc there are photos around of at least one stripped out hulk that is still on site.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

M24's at Dien Bien Phu were brought in disassembled.  They bolted them together on the ground. Evidently, they were pretty handy until eventually destroyed.

Iirc there are photos around of at least one stripped out hulk that is still on site.
View Quote

Yup. They were too heavy for any of the transport aircraft the French had access to - mostly Flying Boxcars and CH-47s - so they had to be brought in this way.

IIRC, most of the M24s ended up being destroyed by their own crews to keep them out of V-M hands. The V-M had no real way to deal with them; they tried recoilless rifles and such, but were rarely successful in actually knocking one out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So would we be including scorpions and scimitars in this discussion?
Cause they are cool to me and possibly fit the criteria
View Quote
All light tanks are welcome
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The French had Stuarts too in Vietnam, one got trapped, the crew pretty much died a gruesome death.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bernard Fall's, "Street Without Joy," very good book!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Bill Bellamy led a Cromwell Troop but was later remounted into lend-lease M-24 Chaffees.   His had an Infrared sight too and he participated in the Victory Parade in Berlin.  Book is Troop Leader.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#44]
There was a gentleman named Wayne Crume in Portales NM that I met when I was in college.  Really pleasant fellow.  In fact, he used to play his guitar and sing cowboy songs at the local Tasty Freeze on Friday nights.  He grew up on a ranch in Elida NM, and recalled how he was sick for three days after a rattlesnake under the house bit him in the hand, and how he found a coyote pup and raised him as a pet.  He had some neat stories about growing up on that ranch in that era (1930s).

Anyway, he had been a tank commander in the ETO on an M5 Stuart light tank as a SSG in some sort of armored reconnaissance unit when he was busted down to PVT for insubordination IIRC.  A young 2LT back filled his TC position.  Shortly thereafter, the 2LT was KIA when he took an 88mm projectile in the chest.

Mr. Crume was the only M5 Stuart crewman I ever met.  He’s probably long gone now, but it was a joy and pleasure to meet that man.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#45]

I was going to post this. I grew up on that comic book.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was going to post this. I grew up on that comic book.
View Quote

I'm not the only one?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#47]
There were a couple of chassis from an M3 at a mine I worked at.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Did the Brazilian Stuart’s ever see battle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There was a gentleman named Wayne Crume in Portales NM that I met when I was in college.  Really pleasant fellow.  In fact, he used to play his guitar and sing cowboy songs at the local Tasty Freeze on Friday nights.  He grew up on a ranch in Elida NM, and recalled how he was sick for three days after a rattlesnake under the house bit him in the hand, and how he found a coyote pup and raised him as a pet.  He had some neat stories about growing up on that ranch in that era (1930s).

Anyway, he had been a tank commander in the ETO on an M5 Stuart light tank as a SSG in some sort of armored reconnaissance unit when he was busted down to PVT for insubordination IIRC.  A young 2LT back filled his TC position.  Shortly thereafter, the 2LT was KIA when he took an 88mm projectile in the chest.

Mr. Crume was the only M5 Stuart crewman I ever met.  He's probably long gone now, but it was a joy and pleasure to meet that man.
View Quote
Great Story!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There were a couple of chassis from an M3 at a mine I worked at.
View Quote
What were they modified for ? Or just straight tractors? I know FT Tanks and Shermans often were made into log skids
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top