Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2017 12:40:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Using electric sander on blade not very fucking honorabru.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks pretty nice after his work.  Yes, I know the original patina is lost...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
What a jackass.

That sword is ruined, it was salvageable before, but now it’s trash.

For those that didn’t watch, dude takes a rusty Katana and “restores it” by scouring it with steel wool, then attacking it with an angle grinder.  He then sharpens it like it were a fucking kitchen knife.  To add insult to injury, he then takes the wooden scabbard, which was actually in pretty decent shape, and, for no reason at all, sands all the finish off of it and restains it. The original sword now looks just like any other stamped steel Chinese flea market find.

You can even see the gouges and uneven finish his hamfisted sanding left on the blade.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt they buried a valuable blade in a 10yr time capsule to rust
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
If watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS taught me anything, it is not to try to restore old stuff you think may be valuable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
For those that don’t know anything about knives how was he supposed to do it right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I suspect he's trolling 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks pretty nice after his work.  Yes, I know the original patina is lost...
View Quote
The one closeup they showed of the blade afterwards looked like hammered shit.
I doubt it was worth much to begin with but he did not do a very good job at all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If that blade had ANY value, he has now completely destroyed it.

Moron.
View Quote
That looks a lot like a reproduction, but I can't say for sure. It has "chikara" ( or power) engraved on it, but I can't place which company did that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
That sword was never worth anything anyway.

It does not appear to be anything but one of those cheap flea market knockoffs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For those that don’t know anything about knives how was he supposed to do it right?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Leave the wood the fuck alone.
I know less about steel and iron as I do about bronze but he started out “OK” but I would have been hesitant to use something as corrosive as vinegar.  I would have started with a distilled water soak for a few days then hit it with a bronze brush and some 0000 steel wool, if that wasn’t enough (for iron and steel) he probably should have switched to electrolysis, or, in a pinch, vinagar like he did.  Then I MIGHT have used some Renaissance brand pre-lim compound to clean up the surface, then I would have given it a couple of coats of Renaissance wax (on he metal and wood) and left it the fuck alone, display it as is.

If it were particularly valuable, and I could afford to do it, I would send it to a master sword smith in Japan and have him restore it.  However this would be reserved for something exceedingly valuable as the polishing alone can run $10,000+.  Barring that, just wax it and preserve it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]
That's certainly closer to correct but he was still fairly hasty with it just to make the video with a cheap knife.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Japanese Bubba
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take it to a professional japanese swordsmith sword polisher and pay to have it restored/polished.

Failing that, a hybrid polish method can be attempted. This can still ruin the value of the sword, but it is a hell of a lot smarter than using power tools on it.

Part 2 Hybrid Polishing Methods
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Restoring and polishing a blade like that is a very specialized job, and takes a ton or experience and skill.  Typically, to become a good polisher, you need to spend nine years as an apprentice in japan.  

It’s also very time-consuming (and, as a result, expensive).  If that were a quality older blade, it would probably take a skilled polisher several weeks to do, and would cost around $2000.

By sanding, and using a grinder, not only did he destroy the geometry of the blade, but the heat of the grinder likely destroyed the tempering of the blade as well - meaning that it cannot be salvaged by even a skilled polisher.

Hopefully, as others have pointed out, it’s NOT actually an old quality blade, and he is just trolling people with this video.
View Quote
yeah probably is something they bought for fun and decided to bury to see what would happen in the time capsule.

if it was an family heirloom or something i highly doubt they would have buried it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

, but the heat of the grinder likely destroyed the tempering of the blade as well - meaning that it cannot be salvaged by even a skilled polisher.

View Quote
Unless the steel turns blue/purple/straw colored, it didn't get hot enough to change the temper.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#27]

DK will probably have to drink more next week in order to cope with that kind of abuse.

putting oil on the shirasaya was the crowning glory of the whole project.

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Japanese Bubba
View Quote
???!

edit: forum doesn't support hiragana.  goatboy-san fixu!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I knew a guy (just acquaintance) who gambled on a rusty old blade in a barrel of junk at a knife and gun show. Paid I think $300 for it. He photographed the maker mark which was still semi-legible and inquired about it. Long story short it was sent to Japan where it was fully restored at no cost to him and is now an exhibit in a museum. It is appraised at over $30,000. Before restoration you could hardly tell it was a sword blade. After restoration it looked like it was made yesterday.*

That's what he was supposed to do.

*Not a made up story. I've seen it before and after, as well as the official documents from Japan. The Japanese knew the maker, when it was made (over 1,000 years ago) and even the name of the sword. Yes, the sword had a name.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#30]
A fried of mine had a very old and verified family heirloom longrifle.  I am no expert in early American rifles, but I could detect:

1-It had originally been a flinter that was later converted to percussion by comparing the cheap looking perc lock work and the amazing original stock, set trigger and barrel work. I guessed it had to be pre-1830's.

2-It was a fine 30-ish cal poorboy by the lack of maker ID that it was probably made by a shur-nuff old school maker (religious restrictions against self braggery/ornamentation)

I asked about the missing trigger guard and why the barrel was bright and scratched up.

A few years earlier, he decided to pass  the torch down to his grown son.

A few months after the gifting, his son calls him and asks him: "Dad, I'm getting ready to reblue that old dull gun you gave me."

When he made a bee-line to his son's place he was horrified that not only had he 80 gritted the patina off, he'd lost the brass trigger guard.  

The gift was confiscated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#31]
It was a $50 flea market sword to begin with. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#33]
His sword, his rules?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What a jackass.

For those that didn’t watch, dude takes a rusty Katana and “restores it” by scouring it with steel wool, then attacking it with an angle grinder.  He then sharpens it like it were a fucking kitchen knife.  To add insult to injury, he then takes the wooden scabbard, which was actually in pretty decent shape, and, for no reason at all, sands all the finish off of it and restains it. The original sword now looks just like any other stamped steel Chinese flea market find.

You can even see the gouges and uneven finish his hamfisted sanding left on the blade.
View Quote
Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

I saw no steel wool and no angle grinder...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Could have been worth much given he buried it for 10 years
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]
It's a 10 year old sword he buried in the back yard. You guys are acting like he found a buried ancient Samurai sword found next to the dead remains of a great warrior and took a grinder to it. Geez.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Lol, it was a cheap repro.

I have seen and handled 30-60k Japanese swords, that is clearly a repro made and buried
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#38]
It was a genuine Hattori Hanzo Sword, now it's ruined and Beatrice Kiddo weeps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Did you guys miss the part where he said "He" buried it in his back yard for the last ten years?

Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It was a genuine Hattori Hanzo Sword, now it's ruined and Beatrice Kiddo weeps.
View Quote
She never weeps.
But she *will* kill him.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe take it to a real knife/sword Smith and ask for their advice or contract them to do it.

An angle grinder has no place near any blade, except maybe a lawn mower blade.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I doubt if there was enough heat from the power tools to change the hardening, but I bet if you look down the blade you would see waves where there shouldn't be any.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did you guys miss the part where he said "He" buried it in his back yard for the last ten years?

View Quote
Apparantly so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Selectively ignored, otherwise how can their be righteous indignation?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not sure what we are supposed to be mad about?

Dude buried a cheap toy sword for 10 years, then did a quick cheap restoration and knocked the rust off to make it a usable cheap toy sword
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#48]
 Triggered!

Having a fit over doing this to a reproduction is like having a meltdown over a sporterized Mauser,doing some Bubba bullshit to a completely historically insignificant Mosin or even worse insisting that it is even possible to somehow ruin a civilian Romanian AK or Glock somehow.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I would have just left it in the time capsule.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What a jackass.

View Quote
FAKE NEWS!

I saw him use a cheap orbital sander but no angle grinder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top