BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m going to be busting my ass keeping 3 teenager’s among the six of us fed.

I’ve struggled to keep more than a months worth of food on hand. Between a shortage of space and keeping up with rotating for longer term.
View Quote

In the same boat with young growing bellies.  If they can put it away like I did growing up its going to be a daunting duty.

The trick I have been using to make progress is a pressure canner.  I crunched the numbers and with the deal I got on my canner and with canned soups being on average $2.39 per can, the canner would pay for itself in 68 quart jars including the cost for the canning jars.  After that a dozen quart jars pay for itself at jar seven of the pack.

Once a week I'll make a very large soup, chili, etc and can half of it, usually around 6 quarts at a time.

I'll also splurge and buy an extra family pack of ground beef, or whole chickens when I see deals and precook them and can them for ala cart menu options for the rice, beans, and pasta.

It wont last as long as freeze dried, but I fear the premium you pay for freeze dried's shelf life is not going to be needed.  These are still things I can rotate easily enough once I finish my organization plan this year.  One of the upgrades is to add the closest use by dates to my labeling system to give me an idea something needs rotated.  This is one of the larger misses I had when prepping because my stuff is stored for transport, not FIFO on a rack.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Unless you have a means of producing more food, either by working within your own initial group or trying to build a civilization, all you do by sharing a fixed quantity is expedite the starvation of your initial group, while delaying the starvation of the new additions.  Which my question above addressed.

Better to remain hidden and or defend to the last.  As for your army going across the country door to door, if they could even organize under such circumstances, or any other group of takers, I'd destroy my supplies before allowing anyone to take them.

If you do have a means to produce more food, then it only makes sense to trade food for needed supplies or labor which further your chance of survival.  And only in such quantities as you can do without and still survive, hopefully until living circumstances improve.

To each his own.
View Quote

That is where I'm moving right now, buffing up the emergency storage to hold us over till I can get the sustainment garden producing.

Its been a while since I tended a garden, but I have stuff going in this fall, and I plan to plant more heavily in the spring, including a guerilla gardening plan with edibles that might go undetected by people ignorant about what food can look like.  This is to help build up my farming skills again.  Eventually if this kicks off as bad as I think it could, the tribe subsists on the food we all have and can get hunting and fishing and use as much land as we can to put in a community garden fertilized by compost.  I still need to work out some of the storage ideas for seeds, fertilizers to help jump start things, etc.

Again this is just plan A.

I have networks in better more typical survival locations that would love to have us and much of this can be rolled out at those locations with some modifications.

Theoretically we have enough to provide security and people working on the life sustainment.  

Reading Blockade  The Diary of an Austrian Middle-Class Woman1914-1924 really opened my eyes to some realities I had not considered.  I highly recommend this for a dose of the grinding reality food shortage and currency devaluation brings.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
ROFL. no.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@fxntime

Where can one buy canned lard?

I’ve been looking for some a long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy lard and skip the cooking oil, the lard will stay better longer and will last year's if the can isn't opened.

@fxntime

Where can one buy canned lard?

I’ve been looking for some a long time.

you can also store coconut oil. It will never go rancid and is much healthier than lard because most of the lard has some hydrogenated oils thrown in
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its worse.

I meant Eye of Sauron.  Take some government super computers and turn them loose on food purchasing patterns using bank and credit card data and boom you got a prepper list.  You could even be fancy and cross reference it to the Census to get more accurate idea of how much food that household should be consuming.  Likely too late to do anything about that too since they can look back as long as they have records.  

The right was too worried about guns and they got just about everything else.

Isolationists IMO need to give up any ideas they can hunker down and ride this out alone.  They have all manner of intel already that marks you as a target when they need something, its just a matter of processing the data, populating the lists and giving orders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
You able to hold it from a platoon to company sized element of the National Guard sent door to door to collect things for redistribution?  That's how governments the world over through history responded to food shortages.  Maybe you can, but most aren't in that shape.

This is a fear I expect sooner than later. In the case of an actual or even perceived food shortage, the great unwashed will demand the government take from those who have and give to those who consume. Prior to any "collapse" of law and order, the welfare state will scream that hoarding food is racist and homophobic, and that the woke government MUST make sure they continue eating whatever we have.
IS that really going to happen? Just a few years ago I would have laughed and said not in my lifetime...I'm not laughing now.

Its worse.

I meant Eye of Sauron.  Take some government super computers and turn them loose on food purchasing patterns using bank and credit card data and boom you got a prepper list.  You could even be fancy and cross reference it to the Census to get more accurate idea of how much food that household should be consuming.  Likely too late to do anything about that too since they can look back as long as they have records.  

The right was too worried about guns and they got just about everything else.

Isolationists IMO need to give up any ideas they can hunker down and ride this out alone.  They have all manner of intel already that marks you as a target when they need something, its just a matter of processing the data, populating the lists and giving orders.

not really

go to BJs buy $400 worth of food including 2x$25 50 pound bags of rice

nobody will see anything abnormal
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are about 1 billion variables in that question.
View Quote

Yeah.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top