BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Instruct kids to keep backpacks between them and the door as rudimentary armor then grab the longest, sturdiest object within the room and wait by the door in ambush.
View Quote
This is exactly what I do in our drills. I have an old school pair of all steel scissors I hold as I sit at the door.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Preparation is Key.  AR500 steel is pretty cheap these days. I would get a piece large enough to cover the middle 1/3 of the door and paint some art on it and attach it to the door.  Devise a good, fast way to secure the door.  Keep a "canned food donation" box in the classroom to fill with cans to be thrown at an attacker that breaches the door.  Wasp spray, several cans to arm the kids.  Art smock with level III kevlar sewn in.  Other "art" objects made with AR500 steel to use as a shield.  If construction classroom does not have block walls, have some sort of protected cover area planned ahead of time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As the parent of a six-year-old with Asperger's, thank you. I like to be fair, he could probably talk the shooter into leaving with a wide variety of subjects.
View Quote
That doesn't sound like a stupid kid...
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But if you're looking at bringing something from home that wouldn't be identified as weapons, some double sized cans of baked beans would probably bust up someone's face.
View Quote

Or a few pop-top soup cans you keep in your desk.  They're not weapons, they're cheap lunches for when you forget to pack one.

For a non-obvious staff you can get a feather duster with a handle made of hickory or another hard wood.  If you can get away with using a cane there are some specifically designed as weapons.

Cleaning sprays, wasp sprays, fire extinguisher, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to VT.  I thought a school shooting was possible.  I spoke to administrators who laughed at me about that belief 14 months before the big shooting there everyone knows about.  I was supposed to be in the first class the shooter went into, except my suspension was upheld after bad grades from the previous semester (A, B, C, C).

I carried in class.

But before I started carrying in class, I always carried a pocket knife.  My theory was that I expected a shooter to be an untrained and overconfident POS.  I expected him to lead into a room with the gun first.  I planned on tucking in by the door frame and trying to get someone to distract him as he came through the door.  Then I'd knock his hands up and gut him on the floor.  Then take his weapons, and shelter in place until I knew there wasn't a 2nd and 3rd gunman.  If I heard more gunshots, I'd consider going after the 2nd/3rd.

I had a few people in the classes that I had scouted out to possibly go with me if I did.  Former military guys.  Guys I'd gone to the range with, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/everbilt-door-stops-4217644eb-64_1000-473715.JPG

Wedge that under the door as hard as possible with it closed. Put the kids out of view from any of the interior windows if the classroom has them.
View Quote
Have a half dozen of these made from wood and a good hammer.  Install and wait in ambush with hammer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/everbilt-door-stops-4217644eb-64_1000-473715.JPG

Wedge that under the door as hard as possible with it closed. Put the kids out of view from any of the interior windows if the classroom has them.
View Quote
Good idea.  I would add Wasp spray too as well as some type of melee weapon.  Wasp spray shoots pretty far.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is relevant as my wife is a teacher.  I'll be going over this thread with her tonight and looking for what may work best for her.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't they make holsters that attach to your belt but stay inside your pants/under a tucked in shirt? Completely invisible that way.

I carry an LCP in 'non permissive environments' occasionally by using one of those cheap ass soft sided IWB Uncle Mikes holsters meant for a much larger gun, the LCP basically falls down into the holster completely below the belt line making it totally invisible. I don't leave it chambered in that case, for obvious reasons, and its certainly not a quick draw, but its a decent low profile way to ensure you at least have access to a gun when you otherwise wouldn't be able to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy Lights Mortar Shell in Garage
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd want to close hand to hand with the shooter, especially if he had a rifle. Anything I could swing or throw at him puts me practically in that range anyway and probably won’t make one-shot stops. Maybe OK as a distraction but move in and control the weapon would be my goal.
View Quote
I agree. Waiting in a hard corner and getting hands on would he the best and probably safest best.  They are very vulnerable to that entering a room alone, or even while bypassing recessed doorways in a hall.

Throwing shit will just get you shot. If you're going to swing something and not gain control of the weapon, you better land a one hit KO.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have always wondered about using a flamethrower as a defensive weapon.

Someone, a serious shooter, attacks the school and Whoosh! He drops his rifle and leaves a screaming, burning smoking heap of misery and pain and drops dead outside the school building.

The authorities go through his computer etc and find he had been planning this for weeks.

You have just saved the lives of countless little kids.

Explain yourself to the school committee. Hilarity is sure to ensue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Grenade launcher or maybe a flame thrower.
I have always wondered about using a flamethrower as a defensive weapon.

Someone, a serious shooter, attacks the school and Whoosh! He drops his rifle and leaves a screaming, burning smoking heap of misery and pain and drops dead outside the school building.

The authorities go through his computer etc and find he had been planning this for weeks.

You have just saved the lives of countless little kids.

Explain yourself to the school committee. Hilarity is sure to ensue.
Seriously, a can of spray glue, or spray paint, even even brake cleaner or hair spray.
The propellant in a lot of spray cans is propane, and the aerosolised paint, glue, etc
is very flammable. Hold a cigarette lighter in front of the nozzle, make it spray.

A 3 foot flame is very possible. Experiment to find the best spray pattern, heat, etc.
Also, that 25 ft range Hornet spray sounds interesting.

Bottom line, experiment first. Make it a science experiment. For the kids.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have one of these in my room because of reasons.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137867/87532972-473727.JPG
View Quote
My wife is in the same boat as op with a class full of first graders.

I suggested my wife order one of these and keep it out of sight/reach. I can modify it by replacing the screw with a bolt and wing nut for easy disassembly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Build an air cannon that launches pool balls.

If ever asked, it’s simply an object lesson for teaching f=ma.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Frost the door window to obstruct the view, jam the door, roll heavy steel cabinet full of material to block potential gunfire.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a gun in class you have to maintain control, hiding it seems like a horrible idea.  If I was teaching I would have a little gun at the bottom of a lunch sack and keep that in my laptopo bag.

Keep a basket of croquet balls in class.  If you have forewarning, arm the kids w/ the balls and give them the order to throw when the time is right.

If you have a door have a ready method to brace and block it, not involving your body.  Keep it near the door.  Seems several teachers have been shot while bracing the door with their bodies, in the recent shooting and at Va Tech IIRC.

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Easy off oven cleaner,   swap the spray head out for a stream or a hot pin and make the nozzle opening shoot a stream.  Watch face melt.

New wasp killer does not do much,   Have a can of the older stuff is another story.

Ketchup squeeze bottle filled with ammonia.

Have spare tube socks and bars of soap.

Anything to secure door, wedges or bars.  Also something to block visibility, hard to shoot what can't be seen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Anything to secure door, wedges .
View Quote
this is a really good, practical idea.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Break off the blade for the big paper cutter ,wait by the door and cut his arm off and beat him to death with it
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything to secure door, wedges .
I'm thinking (may be wrong) that fire codes generally dictate that interior doors in these types of buildings open outward, rather than inward, so they don't become an impediment to people escaping a fire (?).  Somebody who knows about such things can weigh in, but if that's the case the wedges, etc. would be pretty much worthless.

Unless the shooter is really, really stupid, of course.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its weird. I know that having a gun stowed secretly at school is the best option, but that stupid law-abiding part of me is what causes me to hesitate. I have a big enough classroom that I could hide it anywhere, and if I were to get caught with it, the principal is actually great enough that he would tell me to take it home or do a better job at hiding it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, it absolutely would cost you your job.

And you'd be a national hero and get a new job at a new school that appreciates a hero teacher.
Its weird. I know that having a gun stowed secretly at school is the best option, but that stupid law-abiding part of me is what causes me to hesitate. I have a big enough classroom that I could hide it anywhere, and if I were to get caught with it, the principal is actually great enough that he would tell me to take it home or do a better job at hiding it.
Keep it on your person or risk a kid getting his hands on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm thinking (may be wrong) that fire codes generally dictate that interior doors in these types of buildings open outward, rather than inward, so they don't become an impediment to people escaping a fire (?).  Somebody who knows about such things can weigh in, but if that's the case the wedges, etc. would be pretty much worthless.

View Quote
For out swing doors
Outswing protection

In swing doors
In swing protection
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If the situation allowed maybe some wood wedges to jamb under the door and a hammer to force the wedges under the door harder.
Or maybe someone wedge the doors from outside to slow the shooter from getting inside?  Then take off to another room?
Possibly a ladder (if needed) and tools to open (or break) a window in order for everyone to escape (taking cover or using any buildings/obstacles to get concealment from the shooter)
bolt cutters to cut chain link fence to get the students off the school property.

If you have someone that insists (or has the opportunity) on direct confrontation several guys tackle him or knock him down and get a long (24"-36")100 lb. rated zip tie around his neck and yank till you can't yank anymore (choke out).  You'll need wire cutters if you want to keep him alive.
Dry powder fire extinguisher in the nose, mouth, and eyes to disorientate him.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
pretty much all the classrooms at my university had doors that opened inwards.  my guess is to avoid the problem of suddenly introducing an obstacle into hallway traffic flow, but regardless, inwards was the standard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone posted this yet?

LAST RESORT ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL MEASURES from ACT Cert (Run, Hide, FIGHT/ Avoid, Deny, DEFEND)
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
This was really good. Now combine that with scissors, paper cutter, flagpole-pike, and DK-Prof boring ideas and it would be great!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

pretty much all the classrooms at my university had doors that opened inwards.  my guess is to avoid the problem of suddenly introducing an obstacle into hallway traffic flow, but regardless, inwards was the standard.
View Quote
Door to my class opens outwards. There is a 4 foot entry way that comes off the hall to my door. Interestingly enough, just this morning we were told that all doors will be fitted with some kind of drop in locking device. I'm not sure what it will be, but something like the Nightlock Lockdown is what I'm hoping for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Bear spray for starters and a baseball bat to finish. Me, I'd strongly consider carrying a deep cover 380 of some flavor, depending on how serious a charge I'd face if caught.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Preparation is Key.  AR500 steel is pretty cheap these days. I would get a piece large enough to cover the middle 1/3 of the door and paint some art on it and attach it to the door.  Devise a good, fast way to secure the door.  Keep a "canned food donation" box in the classroom to fill with cans to be thrown at an attacker that breaches the door.  Wasp spray, several cans to arm the kids.  Art smock with level III kevlar sewn in.  Other "art" objects made with AR500 steel to use as a shield.  If construction classroom does not have block walls, have some sort of protected cover area planned ahead of time.
View Quote
I've been putting this together piece by piece for a while... yes, it has plates in it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Umarex just released a new CO2 revolver that looks interesting

It's air powered, so it's not a gun!

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife is a chemistry teacher so she has a few weapons around, I went in and drilled a 1/2-6" hole right behind her door she drops in a piece of rebar to block door, we got her bolt cutters to usevto bust out windows and to cut the locks on the gate so they aren't trapped inside fence, she also has two canes, she also has a blind corner that is well protected where they can hide, she has two fire extinguishers, and several other things that make great weapons...

Sorry run on sentence...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Stabbing with a pocket knife, throwing a chair, or even swinging a bat sounds nice, but the shooter is likely to still get rounds off after something like that. And you being the immediate threat to him, you're probably gonna be dead.

The only option is to get in close as soon as he enters and disarm him. Gonna have to man up and crouch by the door and go HAM as soon as he steps in. It'll be an old-fashioned street fight after that. I think an active shooter usually assumes everyone is cowering as they roam the building, so this really seems like the best hope for survival if he enters your room.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
And aren't the vast majority of classroom doors outward swinging? It's kind of like, fire code right?

In this case, you wanna crouch by the handle side so you'll have the best angle of attack as he enters.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Old Glory’s Eagle topped flagpole would make a hell of a halberd.
View Quote
Since this has been posted a few times.

Flagpoles usually screw into two pieces and the Eagles, or pikes, are only attached with brass tacks. It's going to make a disappointing spear. Now, there is an opportunity to modify the pole beneath the cap, or on the bottom end.

Just FYI.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Has anyone posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tIeRUbRHw
View Quote
Beat.  I was just getting ready to post this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Depends on the layout of the classroom BUT I'd look at these critical elements

#1 method of securing the door. Heavy desk, predetermined stack of objects that prevents a lever-type handle from being depressed, heck drill and screws for the right door

#2 method of exiting via an alternate exit.   Rope to get out a 3rd story window for example

#3 some form of long bludgeoning object. A cane because your knee acts up sometimes? signed sports memorabilia like a signed bat or signed hockeystick displayed as personal decoration of your classroom but whose real purpose is weapon?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the parent of a six-year-old with Asperger's, thank you. I like to be fair, he could probably talk the shooter into leaving with a wide variety of subjects.
Asperger's = High IQ + Low social skills or problems
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I teach welding
We have fun with it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Unlike kids today, I grew up watching McGyver. Hopefully I have my Swiss Army knife when it starts.

1. Immediately gather hoodies and throw them at the base if of the door.
2. While directing the previous step I grab a electrical cord and rip it free from an appliance.
3. Order scared kids to piss on the hoodies and poor water to saturate the floor area. If safe some goes outside the door.
4. Strip appliance end of electrical cords.
5. Secure hot wire to door handle.
6. Secure ground wire under pile of wet hoodies
7. Plug cord back into 110v outlet, likely a 20 amp breaker
8. Explain electricity fundamentals to children, that completing a circuit and a mere 500 milliamperes is enough to stop a heart.
9. Assailant gets shocked
10. Explain to children science and a cool head, thoughts are more powerful than any weapon, and to always be learning.
11. High fives
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#40]
You all will laugh and ignore my post: I used to keep a stack of 10 chairs next to my door. Just slide it over, lean it on the out-opening doors. Those suckers hurt when they fall and get some velocity. I nearly took the balls off my SRO when he unlocked and opened my door.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Wedge something under the door AND wedge a chair under the door knob.

Place students out of sight.

Find as many field expedient weapons as I could find, i.e. break furniture to make clubs.

Arm each student with something and instruct them if someone comes through that door - everyone attacks and overwhelms them.

Pray with my students.

Go down swinging.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
how would you do it?

What would you do to protect your students in your locked-down classroom from an armed intruder trying to get in? Assume that you are not able to use a firearm, legally or illegally, and that your solution(s) is within the realm of possibility.

Being a teacher, I am weighing the risk of keeping a pistol in my classroom secretly locked away, knowing that if there was an incident and I used it, it would cost me my job, at the very least. But it would be worth it if I protected my kids. So, I'm curious as to what other people could come up with as alternate solutions.
View Quote
Fire extinguisher, because you can hit what you can not see.

Especially if you get it in the eyes. And then get hit over the head.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You all will laugh and ignore my post: I used to keep a stack of 10 chairs next to my door. Just slide it over, lean it on the out-opening doors. Those suckers hurt when they fall and get some velocity. I nearly took the balls off my SRO when he unlocked and opened my door.
View Quote
Why laugh and ignore? Barricading the door is a legit idea.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top