[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Born ‘71. I agree.
View Quote

My man.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Remote control: Boy, go change the channel to 4, and move the antenna till I tell you to stop.

Stop turning the dial so fast.

I told you to stop three times.   I was not hollering at you,  but I will now.  YOU WRAPPED THE CORD TOO TIGHT AROUND THE POLE!
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I started cycling again. Pulled my bike out of storage cleaned her up and I'm trying to get back into shape after kidney surgery. I was coming back from this trail, US 36 trail, from Boulder and stopped at the scenic view. I asked this guy to take my picture and there was like 5 or 6 riders there. They asked why I wasn't wearing a helmet?? Told me I was going to regret it if I wrecked. I just said, helmets are overrated and I'll just rub some dirt on it and keep going. When I headed back home I was thinking about it and should have just said... gen-x bitch. Here is the pic of that day and my fat out of shape ass. I loved being a kid in the 70's and wish I could go back to that time.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hydration came from a hose. Anyone's hose.

Laserdiscs- the pictures was Amazing.

70s were more fun than the 80s but being 18 in the mid80s was crazy times.

My buddy's dad used to say " Fuck it, it's the 80s!" and throw up his hands
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well I don’t know about you but I headed out with the neighborhood crew and if we got hungry we went to BK. Got free cups of water, packets of lemon and sugar, and had free lemonade. If we were lucky we dumpster dived and found the scratch off give away cards that had been redeemed for burgers and just handed them to the cashier and got burgers and lemonade. Of course all we had to do was stop in anyone’s house and we would have food for the asking but we had to know how to survive in case of SHTF and we were on our own.
View Quote

For the life of me, I can't recall mothers feeding us lunches in groups. I do remember circling the wagons at 7/11 and eating candy like Nerds, Big League Chew, etc.

I also remember the "no one is coming to save us" mentality. We were like a little SF unit. Foraging for water and cardboard (for breakdancing), masters of stealth when trespassing, booby traps errrrrwhere, problem solving when 15 miles away from home (broken bones, broken bike chains, flat tires), defensive tactics against older groups, scouting neighborhood swimming pools within a 20 mile radius for females and somehow amassing a reasonable Playboy "intel" collection that was kept guarded and hidden in the woods.

My son just turned 13 and he is in awe of the above paragraph.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I still have that same Mini-Bike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Awesome.

The brake cable was broken on ours. The neighbor welded a rod to the rear frame that could be used to pull the brake. It was kind of like the old “suicide shifter” on motorcycles. What a life.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Depends on how wealthy you were.
Remember, GenX started cooking at 7...but I remember snacking on a lot of syrup sandwiches.  (Bread and syrup).  Or maybe a fried bologna, spam, or grilled cheese I made myself.  Some folks ate mayo sandwiches or BLT's.

One thing I remember vividly is baking my own cakes.  Not with cake mix, but with recipes from a big ass Betty Croker cookbook.  Back in the day, we always had "staples".  (Flour, sugar, eggs, hopefully milk, salt, vanilla, baking soda, lard/crisco, stuff like that).

I was in third or fourth grade when I started making "ez cinnamon roles".   Take a tube of biscuits, separate them, and roll them in melted butter, then roll them in cinnamon/sugar...and bake as normal.  

This is before the days of overpriced tube cinnamon roles.
View Quote

WAT?

We were out of the house from sun up to sun down. The last thing on my mind was ovens and cookbooks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bragging about no childhood and never growing up simultaneously?

Peak Gen X circle jerk
View Quote

Show us on the doll where the Gen X touched you
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
1970 gen x here. I played hard up to my mid/ late 40's.

Still roll around in my early 50's, but keep it under the coping now.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm old gen X age 56

Most 18 - 23 year olds would have an aneurysm if they had to live like I did from about 85-90 ...
No cell phone
No social media
Telephone attached to the wall
Use a physical map to travel

I'm glad I lived it.
View Quote

Yup, First Gen Gen X here also, born in '65.

GI Joe's - the real ones, not the micro wanna be's.
Evel Knievel
Being out from morning until sundown every day of summer.
The birth of BMX.
Getting to third base down a pair of Dittos.

No internet, video games, cell phones, or silly rules.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend's mom had nice tits and used to lay out on their back deck topless.
She never seemed to mind that I was there and made no effort to cover them up.
She also seemed to enjoy ironing her clothes topless.
Those were the first set of real tits that I can remember seeing and I got to see them a lot.
Strangely enough, it never seemed awkward for my friend.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Serious question...

How did we eat during the summers? All I remember is leaving on my BMX bike in the morning, staying out all day loaded down with Ukraine drone level explosives and coming home as it got dark.

Is that why none of us were fat? Breakfast and dinner only?
View Quote

And when you got thirsty you found the closest garden hose to get a drink.

kids these days wont even drink a glass of water from the kitchen sink tap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Smoked my first cigarette around 8-9
View Quote

Huh! You too?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I turned 50 in January, op is not incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And when you got thirsty you found the closest garden hose to get a drink.

kids these days wont even drink a glass of water from the kitchen sink tap.
View Quote
That hose flavored beverage though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahhh another Action Park survivor.

They had the originals doom loop.

Quoted:

No childhood?  

We were set loose from the house to play in the morning and our only instructions were to be home by dark.
We went to waterparks like Action Park that were the most dangerous and fun places in the world.
We rode our bikes and skateboards without helmets and still managed to survive the experience.

Best childhood ever.

Born in 73.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhh another Action Park survivor.

They had the original doom loop.
Attachment Attached File

Bragging about no childhood and never growing up simultaneously?

Peak Gen X circle jerk

No childhood?  

We were set loose from the house to play in the morning and our only instructions were to be home by dark.
We went to waterparks like Action Park that were the most dangerous and fun places in the world.
We rode our bikes and skateboards without helmets and still managed to survive the experience.

Best childhood ever.

Born in 73.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL, the pic in the OP is of Judd Nelson who was born in 1959 and is thus a...Boomer.

That's what is so funny about Gen Xers and their love for the Breakfast Club:  most of the cast were young Boomers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
‘69 here. Summers were baseball, watermelon at the swimming pool and chasing “lightning bugs” at night. We rode everywhere possible in the back of a pick up truck. If it could be jumped on a bicycle, we tried to jump it. You didn’t sit in the park watching fireworks, you shot roman candles and bottle rockets at each other, and blew up everything you could find with M-80s, hopefully without losing any fingers.

You didn’t worry about gun rights, because there were almost no gun laws. Every house had guns in the adult closet, and many in the kids closets. We didn’t have air soft or paintball, but we did have BB guns and we shot them at each other. We didn’t worry about boys in girls sports, bathrooms or showers. We didn’t have safe spaces to deal with our feelings, we broke bones and walked it off or rubbed some dirt on it.

Viva la 80s.
View Quote

Only one pump
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Studying the Christmas catalogs from sears , jcpenny , and wards
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bikes, stereos and underwear. Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-1968 they used to have guns, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We studied shotgun news for guns
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We must have grown up in the same town,  aevery. Damn. Day of the summer.  
But I drove my BMX in the snow and on frozen lakes just to up
my scar and bruise count.  As far as eating, we were always pretty close to someone’s house, where their mother would serve us lemonade, and some peanut butter and jelly or tuna fish sandwich.  No one ever complained or turned up their nose. They just ate whatever was served.

View Quote

What is this commi crap. What about those with peanut allergies? Oh, that's right.  No one had peanut allergies.

Hell, we drank from garden hoses, didn't have car seats and sat in the bed of pickup trucks while driving around town.The horror.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Born '71. I agree.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget the summer swimsuit editions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#28]

My parents used to have huge parties with like 50-100 generally showing up. We used to run beers to them from the kegs or coolers and always got sips. About 12 or so a they were pretty lubricated and few of us got our first beer. We were all up in the tree fort schnockered laughing our asses off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remote control: Boy, go change the channel to 4, and move the antenna till I tell you to stop.

Stop turning the dial so fast.

I told you to stop three times.   I was not hollering at you,  but I will now.  YOU WRAPPED THE CORD TOO TIGHT AROUND THE POLE!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't forget the summer swimsuit editions.
View Quote

Cheryl Tiegs
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My parents used to have huge parties with like 50-100 generally showing up. We used to run beers to them from the kegs or coolers and always got sips. About 12 or so a they were pretty lubricated and few of us got our first beer. We were all up in the tree fort schnockered laughing our asses off.
View Quote

WTF????
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#32]
1970 checking in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome.

The brake cable was broken on ours. The neighbor welded a rod to the rear frame that could be used to pull the brake. It was kind of like the old “suicide shifter” on motorcycles. What a life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.

I’ll grab some pics when I go to the barn here in a bit.

My grandmother called me about 15yrs ago and asked if I still wanted my old mini-bike I had no idea it still existed, I had no idea what to do with it but I went and got it.

I went to Harbor Freight and got a new engine, double the HP it used to have, used to be 3.5hp, bought a 6.5.

Got new clutch, chain, tires and put it all together.

The throttle was wonky so I reached under my right leg and grabbed the governor to WFO
Got headshake, it pitched me over the front and I broke my left orbital bone as well as the rest of my face and the bike landed on top of me for good measure.

I haven’t been on it since
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#34]
If you’re Gen X and bought a home, lived in your means, and traded up when appropriate……. there’s a good chance you have finished your mortgage.

I’m convinced that the modern housing goatfuck is largely because GenX, who already had a slim few fucks to give anyway, have paid their way out of giving a fuck about that as well.

If you line up a chart of GenX that own a home, and the goatfuck level of the market, you’ll probably see some correlation.

Millennials, Zoomers……. No one is coming to save you.
Find a bare spot to tattoo that on, so you remember when the Adderall wears off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My friend's mom had nice tits and used to lay out on their back deck topless.
She never seemed to mind that I was there and made no effort to cover them up.
She also seemed to enjoy ironing her clothes topless.
Those were the first set of real tits that I can remember seeing and I got to see them a lot.
Strangely enough, it never seemed awkward for my friend.
View Quote
*reaching for pleasure journal*
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LOL, the pic in the OP is of Judd Nelson who was born in 1959 and is thus a...Boomer.

That's what is so funny about Gen Xers and their love for the Breakfast Club:  most of the cast were young Boomers.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/bike-jumping-5_jpg-2956123.JPG

Not my photo but have the scars none the less. We werent living unless we were hurdling ourselves from every janky piece of plywood ramp in the neighborhood from sunup to sundown, or out in the woods playing war games.
View Quote

Found mine. lol

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#38]
1972 vintage here. Proud Gen X
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#39]
The Gen X childhood still exists. You just have to create it. My boys are in their 20s now, and did all that. Building ramps to jump bikes, gone for hours at a time God knows where, adding different metals to fireworks cuz reasons, I'd have random tribes of 10 year olds show up and id make sammiches, all of it. BE that house in the neighborhood all the kids know to show up at.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
My best friend and I had the following:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We used to argue every day about which bike was better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Serious question...

How did we eat during the summers? All I remember is leaving on my BMX bike in the morning, staying out all day loaded down with Ukraine drone level explosives and coming home as it got dark.

Is that why none of us were fat? Breakfast and dinner only?
View Quote
We had an A&W near us. So we would bike there. They had daily specials. Wednesday was 3 burgers for a buck.

Or we went to Penn Can Mall. They had tons of food places like Pavones Pizza. Pizza by the slice. It was the crack of the day. Man. it was good.

Then hit Play Palace Arcade for a few hours.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Hardcore Gen X here.  I think back on all of the things that I/We did and I am amazed at how our parents just stood back and let things happen.  Our neighborhood crew had 12 kids that were within 5 years of age.  We took Whiffle Ball bats, cut the ends off and made bottle rocket RPGs.  We would split into six 2 person teams and run the whole neighborhood ambushing and shooting each other with bottle rockets.  Our parents would look out the window and go back to whatever they were doing.  No cops called, no Karen's yelling and screaming, just good fun.  If somebody got hurt they would run home and get a couple blasts of Bactine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Sheedy , Nelson and Estevez are actually boomers .??
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#44]

We looked for a good tree to climb.

I still feel like I am 25.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep, and now my body aches everywhere from doing dumb shit.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm old gen X age 56

Most 18 - 23 year olds would have an aneurysm if they had to live like I did from about 85-90 ...
No cell phone
No social media
Telephone attached to the wall
Use a physical map to travel

I'm glad I lived it.
View Quote

Same here.

Graduated 1985. Life was fucking awesome in the mid-late 80's.

Times never to be repeated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Bottom, clearly.
I had a Huffy Star Wars banana seat bike that I have no idea what happened to. I wish quite often I had kept it. So easy to walk.
I always wanted a bmx bike with the gyro brake cable, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#49]
‘71 vintage.  ‘‘Twas a fine year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I am gen x and my father is a Boomer, and I was just thinking about that the other day. I am not mid 40's and I definitely act much younger than my father did when he was in his 40's.  Now I get called "old man" by all the younger millenials and gen z.....
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top