User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Born in 67.

Grew up remembering tail end of the Moon Landings & Nixon getting in trouble and return of the Vietnam vets and their mental health issues.

Had a hippie baby sitter that once the last kid was dropped off, went around topless and would have her boyfriend come home at lunch for some “Afternoon Delight” behind closed doors.

At about age of 7 and higher, babysitter went away and was allowed to fend for myself. Summers would have me and my friends meeting up and being gone all day, every day on our bike and skateboards just getting into random things that came our way. That included putting coins on the railroad tracks to watch the trains squish them to finding your buddies father’s Playboy/Penthouse stash and look at titties and 70’s untrimmed bush.

High School in the 80’s was pretty much like the movie “Dazed and Confused” but a 2.0 version for the period. Can remember bringing guns to school and left in the vehicle for hunting after school. “Cruising” was the social activity every Friday and Saturday night. Getting into a girls panties was way easier and was not competing with the whole wide world simping for them.

Kind of nice that problems or things could wait until the next day to be dealt with. Did not have to be electronically joined at the hip in real time 24/7.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yep, and now my body aches everywhere from doing dumb shit.
View Quote

Man, ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Also in the 80's I got more than my fair share of strange . Never worried about STD's and didn't know anyone who got any . The parties were awesome , alot of drinking maybe a fight and then pick out a girl to take home . I remember many a morning getting home as the sun came up totally beat from last night's activities . And did it all over again Saturday night .
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Still 30 at 50? Yeah Tell that to your kidney stones you old fuck
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bragging about no childhood and never growing up simultaneously?

Peak Gen X circle jerk
View Quote
Bless it ..
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
50. Feel like 20. Body says otherwise sometimes.
View Quote

]
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a nice place to look backwards on occasion.  I appreciate you. You all.

I’ve seen some shit and stuff man.

Bike ghostrider.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Born ‘71. I agree.
View Quote

'73....I can relate. ??
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Best year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Born ‘71. I agree.

Best year.

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/bike-jumping-5_jpg-2956123.JPG

Not my photo but have the scars none the less. We werent living unless we were hurdling ourselves from every janky piece of plywood ramp in the neighborhood from sunup to sundown, or out in the woods playing war games.
View Quote

This all day, still have the scar!
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Yup, that fits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My soon-to-be-wife is 19 years my junior.  There are definitely differences between a Gen-X and Millennial that go far deeper than cellular phones and the internet.  From what I observed, our parents (Boomers) were self-absorbed and very selfish.  We (Gen-X) were cynical and independent but had an entrepreneurial / industrious attitude coupled with a desire for adventure / risk taking.  Gen-X's biggest deficiency has been our cynicism lead to a non-conformity that wasn't really productive for our culture.  I was in college when grunge went mainstream.  That road led to nowhere.  It was a wasted outgrowth of our disaffection. We could of done something productive with our cynicism instead we dutuned our guitars and our women dressed like hairy dudes.  Our children (Millennials) seem to be the "non" generation.  They have contributed virtually nothing of value, and have expected everything.  They seem to be the composite amalgamation of the worst of the Boomers (selfish self-absorption) and Gen-Xrs (misdirected non-conformity while ironically thinking they're be "individuals" while copying what they see on TikTok or whatever is "viral") while adding a measure of self-righteous indignation they feel they DESERVE while completely ignoring the fact respect is EARNED.

Younger "adults" (whatever generation I'm observing) lack interpersonal communications skills and present themselves as virtually brain-dead.  This morning we went to Starbucks for coffee.  The young lady taking our order could barely communicate with me.  Her appearance spoke of "fierce independence" but she wouldn't make eye contact, mumbled distractedly, and spelled my name (which is GARY) as GRY.
View Quote

Erudite post
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gen "X"- had to help our parents with the computer printer AND help our children with the computer printer.

Gen "X'- the ONLY generation that figured out how to set the clock on a VCR...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]
It is fascinating to desscribe the crap I did as a kid to kids these days. They think I'm lying.

The bicycle jumping photograph was my childhood in a nutshell, right down to the style of the bike. Substitute a motorcycle after age 12. It was glorious. Going on a 10 mile ride to the next town over wasn't a big deal at all.

In contrast, my wife is terrified to let my daughter walk the dog alone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait... you're a millennial?

Congrats, you look old enough for honorary Gen X status

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gen "X"- had to help our parents with the computer printer AND help our children with the computer printer.

Gen "X'- the ONLY generation that figured out how to set the clock on a VCR...

Proud millennial here.

Never had an issue with VCR features.

Wait... you're a millennial?

Congrats, you look old enough for honorary Gen X status

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/480138/bike-jumping-5_jpg-2956123.JPG

Not my photo but have the scars none the less. We werent living unless we were hurdling ourselves from every janky piece of plywood ramp in the neighborhood from sunup to sundown, or out in the woods playing war games.
View Quote

Did the very same in my neighborhood.  We had a creek running nearby too that we could fish.

Also would make a dam in the street when it rained to make a huge puddle for us to play in.  It always had a nice oil sheen on top!
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure seems like we all had similar experiences growing up, it was a great time to grow up, never seemed like it would end and then - poof 30 years are gone in the blink of an eye.

When I was 12 I took a bus with 2 14 yr olds 80 miles away, unloaded our bikes and camping gear and rode 25 miles to camp for a week.  Only checking in every few days on a payphone.

Can't imagine such a thing now
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We had a different name for this that will probably catch a ban now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
‘75

-“Kill the man with the ball”

We had a different name for this that will probably catch a ban now.

The term is now considered a smear....against the GBLTQ community.  Fun game.

(And I see stevelish played it too, a few posts later...)

How did we not all end up in the ER on a weekly basis?

I was just on the cusp of the "keep your duck-hunting shotguns in the truck," class years in high school. Again, no one would have even dreamed of doing anything else with them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Serious question...

How did we eat during the summers? All I remember is leaving on my BMX bike in the morning, staying out all day loaded down with Ukraine drone level explosives and coming home as it got dark.

Is that why none of us were fat? Breakfast and dinner only?
View Quote

Some had McDonalds money from our paper routes, so we had lunch, but it's the fact that we rode our bikes everywhere and all day long, which was why we were not fat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Some had McDonalds money from our paper routes, so we had lunch, but it's the fact that we rode our bikes everywhere and all day long, which was why we were not fat.
View Quote

Same here also. Most in our group would usually be able to scrounge pocket change to at least get a soda and snack. Many times we all would meet about lunch time at one person particular house and just have lunch there. We would also pool our money if needed and hit up the day old bread store bakery outlet and buy whatever the cheapest sweet pastry they had for sale.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Peak Gen X circle jerk
View Quote

Lol! Poor little guy. Some gen-xer musta pissed in your cheerios.

Like we care what you think. Gen-x don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am amazed we survived given all the things they have banned now “for the children”.
View Quote

Not everyone survived.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Proud millennial here.

Never had an issue with VCR features.
View Quote

I'll happily admit i've had the pleasure of working with a lot of squared away mallinneials. Mostly military kids.

And a few solid zoomers as well.

Almost all came from rural backgrounds. City kids, not so much.

Edit to add: i've also met plenty of shitbird gen-xers who are over the top attention whores as well. They give the rest of us a bad name and many can be found in the ranks of the "they/them" crowds.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My soon-to-be-wife is 19 years my junior.  There are definitely differences between a Gen-X and Millennial that go far deeper than cellular phones and the internet.  From what I observed, our parents (Boomers) were self-absorbed and very selfish.  We (Gen-X) were cynical and independent but had an entrepreneurial / industrious attitude coupled with a desire for adventure / risk taking.  Gen-X's biggest deficiency has been our cynicism lead to a non-conformity that wasn't really productive for our culture.  I was in college when grunge went mainstream.  That road led to nowhere.  It was a wasted outgrowth of our disaffection. We could of done something productive with our cynicism instead we dutuned our guitars and our women dressed like hairy dudes.  Our children (Millennials) seem to be the "non" generation.  They have contributed virtually nothing of value, and have expected everything.  They seem to be the composite amalgamation of the worst of the Boomers (selfish self-absorption) and Gen-Xrs (misdirected non-conformity while ironically thinking they're be "individuals" while copying what they see on TikTok or whatever is "viral") while adding a measure of self-righteous indignation they feel they DESERVE while completely ignoring the fact respect is EARNED.

Younger "adults" (whatever generation I'm observing) lack interpersonal communications skills and present themselves as virtually brain-dead.  This morning we went to Starbucks for coffee.  The young lady taking our order could barely communicate with me.  Her appearance spoke of "fierce independence" but she wouldn't make eye contact, mumbled distractedly, and spelled my name (which is GARY) as GRY.
View Quote

Most millennials are boomer kids. Most zoomers are gen-x's kids. Hence why boomers and millennials are such a large part of the population whereas gen-x and zoomers comprise some of the smallest portions of the population.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not everyone survived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am amazed we survived given all the things they have banned now “for the children”.

Not everyone survived.

The strong survived.

This is the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm old gen X age 56

Most 18 - 23 year olds would have an aneurysm if they had to live like I did from about 85-90 ...
No cell phone
No social media
Telephone attached to the wall
Use a physical map to travel

I'm glad I lived it.
View Quote

Same here, just a year younger. I only see one thing wrong with Gen X….. they extended it beyond 1972. Honestly I think 61-72 ought to be its own generation. Our life experiences growing up weren’t Boomer or Xennial.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Same here, just a year younger. I only see onevthing wrong with Gen X….. they extended it beyond 1972. Honestly I think 61-72 ought to be its own generation. Our life experiences growing up weren’t Boomer or Xennial.
View Quote

Meh. My brother was born in '69 and had the exact same childhood i did ('73 here).  If there is any difference, it's so slight it doesn't even make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Meh. My brother was born in '69 and had the exact same childhood i did ('73 here).  If there is any difference, it's so slight it doesn't even make a difference.
View Quote

If you got caught drinking and driving your senior year what would have been the penalty?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you got caught drinking and driving your senior year what would have been the penalty?
View Quote

unless you were actually drunk, they'd make you pour it all out and do some scare tactics.  Maybe make you go straight home and follow you there, all the way to the driveway so your parents were all, "wtf did you do!?"
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

unless you were actually drunk, they'd make you pour it all out and do some scare tactics.  Maybe make you go straight home and follow you there, all the way to the driveway so your parents were all, "wtf did you do!?"
View Quote

In 1986 this is what would happen in Kentucky. By 1989 that would be an arrest. That sort of offense would ho national by 1990
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both of us would have gotten our asses whipped and sent to juvi. Parents were cops and would have let the system take its pound of flesh as a lesson. After smacking the attitude right out of us.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quite the caretakers of our economy and our freedoms they were - yes sir-E
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bless it ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peak Gen X circle jerk
Bless it ..

??
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#36]
We got our nourishment from beachnut and freedom
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only problem with Gen X is that it seems they forgot how to be Gen X when they had kids.  Of course, society hated Gen X and did it's level best to eradicate what make us so awesome.  Some of us are still fighting the good fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arent most of you the parents on Gen Z? Pretty sure that generations performance negates all of your positive accomplishments.

The problem is, The typical Gen Xer has made the mistake of assuming that "well, I basically did whatever I wanted without supervision when I was a kid, and I turned out just fine, so it'll be the same for my kids".

Then wonders why "my Internet addicted son now has purple hair and a 'xhe' pronoun?".

The only problem with Gen X is that it seems they forgot how to be Gen X when they had kids.  Of course, society hated Gen X and did it's level best to eradicate what make us so awesome.  Some of us are still fighting the good fight.

The GenX'rs that raised shitty kids were single moms.  You can't change my mind.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Still 30 at 50? Yeah Tell that to your kidney stones you old fuck
View Quote

No kidney stones here, just kidneys that occasionally get lubricated with fine bourbon.  It will be interesting to see if the Tide Pod crew holds up nearly as well post 50 trying to score a hit in the laundry room of their apartment buildings.  I think not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Both of us would have gotten our asses whipped and sent to juvi. Parents were cops and would have let the system take its pound of flesh as a lesson. After smacking the attitude right out of us.
View Quote

And that is where the change took place. There was a difference. By the end of the 80s attitudes changed towards normal juvenile hi-jinx. Everything became a life altering crime.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And that is where the change took place. There was a difference. By the end of the 80s attitudes changed towards normal juvenile hi-jinx. Everything became a life altering crime.
View Quote

Wrong.gif.

It was that way because my parents were cops and not hypocritical. Their application of justice applied to both my brother and i.

You're trying to prescribe parental action to the different years my brother and i were born and it doesn't wash.

You asked a question and i answered it honestly. But you are ignoring other pertinent  factors that have nothing to do with the year i or my brother were born.  We could have been born 10 years earlier and received the same treatment. That's juat the way our parents are(were)
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a gun shop down the road that got most of my lawn mowing money. Fishing tackle, BBs, Co2 cartridges and he would also sell us chewing tobacco. Miss that old guy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Peak Gen X circle jerk
View Quote

Google translate doesn’t do little bitch so I’ll try.

We were independent at an early age. Spent less time at our mommies at 10 than 20 year olds do today. We fed ourselves, dressed ourselves and found a way to go where we wanted. It was the best childhood.

We bucked bales, cleaned trash cans, mowed yards, did construction and bought our first car when we were 16.

Of course we thought 30 year old was a grown up.   Now we out hustle, out innovate,out create and out lead younger and old generations .  We do it with style and ferocity. We have more energy than we should.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Solid.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Peak Gen X circle jerk
View Quote

/* bitter_millenial has entered the chat
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#45]
72 checking in. Sister was after his first tour, I was after his second. She has his nose, I have his chin you miserable bastards.

Third post nailed it for me. I work in tech and still fix my parents and kids computers both. Infuriating at times but we all have our place.

The 80’s was peak America.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Gen X here, raised by the Greatest Generation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#47]

That last pic made me lol. Lion Country Safari in FL at the fair for me. Pic of me holding a cub about the same size. Probably 80 or 81.  That was a good memory.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top