Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If not how come?

I'm thinking about asking my landlord. Oils just getting scary.
View Quote

Absolutely, provided it was installed by the building permit, and inspection. I'm sorry I know you are probably qualified, hell I'm even there with you, but the risks are too great with the typical nature of renters. Secondarily, insurance will ask and they will not insure my dwelling if you do something non professional, not inspected and don't declare it as a heat source so they can modify premiums accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would I?   No upside, only risk.
View Quote

You're gonna need a wood burning stove in your apartment after the divorce.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
No fucking way.

I'd rather have an empty rental house than no rental house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I worded it poorly. I didn't really mean doing it myself.

How much more would the insurance be? I wouldn't even be apposed to paying for it or the installation.

My question was more focused on having a wood stove in the house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't let a tenant install anything more complicated than a hanging picture frame.
View Quote
yup... No way am I letting a tenant install and use a wood stove.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How much more would the insurance be? I wouldn't even be apposed to paying for it or the installation.

View Quote

Buy a place to put money into.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can’t fathom that you’re still using heat in June….

It’s cheaper and easier to start dating a fat chick if you need to stay warm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
depends on the tenant, i suppose.

i wouldn't trust most tenants to do it right.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm planning for this winter and still using oil for the boiler.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't trust the average tenant with candles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Wood is dirty. As in lots of dirt and saw dust that can get in the carpet, then there is creosote build up. Also a wood pile can attract termites.

I mean I would allow and encourage it, but that might be way a landlord would object.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Most definitely would not. Wood stoves are a fire and carbon monoxide hazard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I capped the chimney in my rental.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you pull a permit, have it installed professionally and get it inspected, all they want is a copy of the inspection report.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their insurance company would not allow it.
If you pull a permit, have it installed professionally and get it inspected, all they want is a copy of the inspection report.

Is this a private home or a rental unit?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the external ones that heats water,maybe,but I’d want a pretty big gap between it and the house still.

My parents had a trailer house back in the mid 80s as their first owned home. My dad put in a nice wood stove in a nice metal shed and duct worked it all in or whatever.
A couple years later my dad gets transferred so my grandparents bought the trailer to use as a rental.
Have a family that rents for years and then stopped, after we got them evicted we went in to clean it up.
The dude had been dumping the hot ash right on the floor of this shed, which was still wood.
It had burnt through to the point the furnace had fallen sideways into it and was leaning against the shed.
How they didn’t burn the whole place down must have been pure luck.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a single family house. I think it's the only house in a 5 mile radius that doesn't have a fireplace or wood stove.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

then the next dipshit renter in that unit burns the building down.  

no and fuck no.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had a tenant approach me with this question it would be an instant no, even if the tenant stated they would pay the increased insurance premium and paid for 100% of the install.  

Besides the insurance nightmare and liability fire in a multi tenant property is about as bad as it can get.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What risk does the renter assume?
View Quote

Could burn to death in his sleep
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Go with an anthracite burning stoker stove. If you want to split and cut fire wood sell it to buy coal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's a single family house. I think it's the only house in a 5 mile radius that doesn't have a fireplace or wood stove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason I thought it was an apartment or town house. Maybe a pellet stove would be easier to install and get an approval on. I think you can go through the wall for air intake and exhaust. I would want one that could run off of a battery backup.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Single family home, good long term tenant, yes
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not only no but fuck no. Not only Increases homeowners but too many dumb fucks out there.

Sorry, no.
View Quote

Maybe OP wants his house to burn for the insurance money?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I am a landlord and, no, my insurance would not allow it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am a landlord and, no, my insurance would not allow it.
View Quote

I see a lot of people posting this. My insurance is fine with it but I remove them.

Lots of the houses I buy have the chimneys right up the middle and I completely gut them and rip them out.

What insurance company do you have?

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If not how come?

I'm thinking about asking my landlord. Oils just getting scary.

Eta I worded it poorly. I didn't really mean doing it myself.

View Quote

Depends on hour, tenant, area, access to good hardwood, contractor, and who would cover costs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]
No way would I let that fly. Possibly a pellet stove as they are far more fool proof/safer and only if they agree to take out an additional policy covering it and only if it is professionally installed. I've had tenants burn up a house without a wood stove. Ain't no way I'm giving them a reason to intentionally start a fire in my house.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No way would I let that fly. Possibly a pellet stove as they are far more fool proof/safer and only if they agree to take out an additional policy covering it and only if it is professionally installed. I've had tenants burn up a house without a wood stove. Ain't no way I'm giving them a reason to intentionally start a fire in my house.
View Quote

My only one was Christmas tree lights. And smoke detector batteries removed.

Killed a husband/wife and 9 year old daughter on Christmas Eve at 1 AM  :(

Now as I redo the houses i hardwire them in.

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]
If the stove and chimney were installed by a certified dealer with my choice of chimney materials I would allow a tenet to have the stove installed.  It is possible the rent would need to be adjusted depending on insurance changes.  The stove would remain the property of the purchaser and would leave with them, the installed chimney or chimney liner liner would stay with the house.  The cost of yearly professional cleaning would be added to the rent once a year.

I have two tenants with wood stoves, both were existing when I purchased the homes, and both are still used.  In these cases insurance costs are minimal, as most older homes in this area have wood stoves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Doubt insurance would be OK with it. Also there would have to be a professional chimney sweep doing cleaning every so often. I would not trust the average renter to do it and correctly.

I love wood heat. I will always have a wood stove to heat or supply back-up heat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been blessed with tenants who've taken care of my property better than I did over the course of me being a landlord.

The answer to can I have a wood stove installed is hell no.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I wish I had a wood burning stove.  It would be so nice to be able to burn all my trash and used motor oil while I watch TV.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#36]
If I were your landlord, no, no way. If I were you, I would buy a house and install a woodstove.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Instead of that, offer to pay a higher rent in exchange for a heat pump. Probably a ductless.

You'll come out ahead in the long run because oil is going to be expensive for the near future. There's likely a $250/ton rebate as well.

ETA: Insurance for a house with a wood stove is brutal, most of the rentals I've been around have had them removed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I dunno, I don’t see the big deal, I loved the rentals I had with fire places ( one was gas).  As long as the house is PROPERLY insured, it shouldn’t make a lick of difference, if it burns (which it won’t), land lord gets a new building.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Main thing for the land lord is make sure the limits are of replacement value, endorsed to account for the increasing cost of construction (and demo).  If that tiny increase in premium bothers the land lord, offer to pay the difference, it should be insignificant compared to the heat savings.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If I were your landlord, no, no way. If I were you, I would buy a house and install a woodstove.
View Quote

I'm waiting for the coming crash. I just hope I'll have money after heating next winter.

If I was single I'd be happy with a tent and wood stove. Unfortunately my wife won't have that, especially with an infant and a toddler.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.  Don’t ask for trouble or encourage stupid ideas (like this one).

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Is your oil system an air ducted furnace or hydronic baseboard/radiator type boiler?

I ask because if it’s baseboard (contains water) and you start using alternative heating sources, you’re gonna be hatin’ life when you freeze and burst the heating pipes.

Anyhow, this Mitsubishi Hyperheat 15,000 btu system is capable of 24,000 btu heating at 47 degrees and at -13 degrees F it’s still capable of 14,400 btus/hr.
It requires a 220 volt, 20 amp breaker. I believe that’s 12 gauge wire required.
http://mylinkdrive.com/viewPdf?srcUrl=http://enter.mehvac.com.s3.amazonaws.com/DAMRoot/Original/10006

If the place is big enough, maybe you need a second one on the other side of the home. Single floor? The 220 volt need to run to the outdoor unit. Indoor unit is powered via the outdoor unit with stranded “tray cable” wire.

Coolcalc.com should cost you like five dollars to do your own load calculation to determine exactly what size you need to do the job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. My old house had a wood stove. I paid extra insurance for it. I also bought a fire extinguisher and smoke alarm for a slight reduction in insurance cost. unless you are a professional and pull a permit I can not see that happening.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#45]
My insurance is $200 more a year with our wood stove.  

It saves us $1000s so far and will save alot more this coming winter with heating prices  going higher.

I clean and inspect my furnace and chimney.  I burn only aged wood, mostly oak and hickory.  I have smoke alarms in every bedroom and in the basement with the woodstove.  Also have CO2 alarms and a combustible gas detector near the propane backup furnace.  My extinguishers needs to be replaced.  I noticed one no longer is holding a charge when I changed filters for AC season.

My parents rented a house that had propane heat with a wood stove integrated into the central HVAC.  They removed the woodstove and capped the chimney so renters couldn't burn wood.  Their insurance dropped  alot because it was a rental.   Last renters bought the house and have since reinstalled the woodstove.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
nope. Not because of you, but because of future retards that burn down the whole thing bc theyre well, retarded

Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Nah.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Even if your landlord says yes, his insurance will say no. We have a fireplace in our living room and we aren't allowed to use it because our landlords insurance said it's too much of a risk to let the tenants use it. It has a metal grate over it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Not only no, but if I bought a rental with one I would pay to get rid of it. I bought a rental house with a gas insert fireplace and had it disconnected.

I can't think of anything I'd rather not have in a rental property.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wouldn't let a tenant install anything more complicated than a hanging picture frame.
View Quote

This in general.  Insurance companies take a dim view/charge extra for wood stoves.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top