View Quote
At 6:25, that is one long 5 ton.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No spoilers but the boys are gonna build one out of a chop-top bus with a quad .50 in the back, and a 7.62mm mini-gun mounted on a swing pedestal for the passenger to fire out of the front windshield.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So weird to run across this thread. I was literally thinking about writing about gun-trucks in the sequel to Gentle Propositions. Thanks for the motivation!

Do eeetttt

No spoilers but the boys are gonna build one out of a chop-top bus with a quad .50 in the back, and a 7.62mm mini-gun mounted on a swing pedestal for the passenger to fire out of the front windshield.

I'm not sure a bus chassis has the capacity for carrying much armor. A stripped down cement mixer truck though....
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I forgot where i saw this originally.  It's more stealth than outright in your face.
Palestinians rigged this dump truck with rocket tubes.  They would drive up, lift the bed, and fire away.  Then drop the bed and run like a bastard before the gunships showed up.

https://texan2driver.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/palestinian-dump-truck-rocket-launcher.jpg?w=468

View Quote

That's actually pretty damned innovative.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not sure a bus chassis has the capacity for carrying much armor. A stripped down cement mixer truck though....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So weird to run across this thread. I was literally thinking about writing about gun-trucks in the sequel to Gentle Propositions. Thanks for the motivation!

Do eeetttt

Add some drag axles to the bus?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Buddy of mine was in supply, he was involved in the creation of the first few gun trucks.  Passed away in 2006.  Might be hard to get details.  Can someone who was there pm me and maybe we can figure out which ones?  He told stories.  Can't remember the names of the trucks.  He did say the miniguns were a great tool but when firing you couldn't shoot 90 degrees to the truck or it tipped the truck over with the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 He did say the miniguns were a great tool but when firing you couldn't shoot 90 degrees to the truck or it tipped the truck over with the recoil.
View Quote

he was shitting you
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He did say the miniguns were a great tool but when firing you couldn't shoot 90 degrees to the truck or it tipped the truck over with the recoil.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Its kinda sad thinking that only one of the Vietnam era gun trucks survives.

A short drive from my house a salvage yard is scrapping 5 -tons from Riley.
A number of them that have come through were gun trucks....don't know if
any came back from Iraq......but even so its kinda sad seeing them cut up.

View Quote

Kind of sad we don't seem to learn anything and just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

ETA: Hey, look.  The Russians do it too:

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
USAF gun trucks in Iraq. {November 29, 2005}

Click here.....

One more. {August 17, 2006}

Please click.....

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kind of sad we don't seem to learn anything and just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L4hVdhGLzNs/VDZbTTqjHqI/AAAAAAAAQpU/lfUyzfH27Uw/w592-h438-no/zona_ATO_28.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its kinda sad thinking that only one of the Vietnam era gun trucks survives.

A short drive from my house a salvage yard is scrapping 5 -tons from Riley.
A number of them that have come through were gun trucks....don't know if
any came back from Iraq......but even so its kinda sad seeing them cut up.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L4hVdhGLzNs/VDZbTTqjHqI/AAAAAAAAQpU/lfUyzfH27Uw/w592-h438-no/zona_ATO_28.jpg

Cool a BMD-2.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

he was shitting you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he was shitting you

Been fifteen years since that conversation, next year it'll be ten years since he died.  I might be remembering it wrong.  Anyone know of attempts to mount a Vulcan cannon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:27:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Been fifteen years since that conversation, next year it'll be ten years since he died.  I might be remembering it wrong.  Anyone know of attempts to mount a Vulcan cannon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he was shitting you

GAU-19, .50BMG. Still won't tip over a 6 ton vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#15]
OST

LC
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This thread could be cool. That is an m113 APC mounted on a truck, lol
View Quote

that APC weighs 13 tons; besides the engine, suspension & other junk, I don't see how
they could have taken enough weight off that for the 5 ton truck it's mounted to
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
that APC weighs 13 tons; besides the engine, suspension & other junk, I don't see how

they could have taken enough weight off that for the 5 ton truck it's mounted to

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cut the bottom out maybe.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hull of M113 is aluminum.  It was the first aluminum armored vehicle. Air drop weight was 11 tons.  Then, take out the engine, transmission, suspension, road wheels, tracks, interior bulkheads, driver station, etc. you might have a five ton aluminum box.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The hull of M113 is aluminum.  It was the first aluminum armored vehicle. Air drop weight was 11 tons.  Then, take out the engine, transmission, suspension, road wheels, tracks, interior bulkheads, driver station, etc. you might have a five ton aluminum box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M54 series of trucks are rated for 10,000 pounds off road and about 20,000 pounds for road use. So I would think that those trucks could handle the weight good enough.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The hull of M113 is aluminum.  It was the first aluminum armored vehicle. Air drop weight was 11 tons.  Then, take out the engine(s), transmission, suspension, road wheels, tracks, interior bulkheads, driver station, etc. you might have a five ton aluminum box.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/inf/M113/M113_vietnam4.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hull of M113 is aluminum.  It was the first aluminum armored vehicle. Air drop weight was 11 tons.  Then, take out the engine(s), transmission, suspension, road wheels, tracks, interior bulkheads, driver station, etc. you might have a five ton aluminum box.

Didn't they use two chevrolet six cylinder engines? Or?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do eeetttt

Haha, I ain't sure how I'll write it yet but I'll think of something. The motorpool mechanic character is a bit of a cockeyed-eccentric genius so he has the capacity to whip up some good shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the ones I worked in/on in 74 had Detroit Diesel v-8's IIRC; the bottom wasn't that thick; the back door/ ramp, sides & front were the
thickest armor; we had a guy that could pick up the back ramp & close it (if the hydraulics were out )
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks.  I never knew there was such a thing as an armored gun truck.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The M54 series of trucks are rated for 10,000 pounds off road and about 20,000 pounds for road use. So I would think that those trucks could handle the weight good enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.......the M35 series is rated for 2.5 tons offroad and 5 tons on road
the M54 series is rated for 5 tons offroad and 10 tons onroad

Initially some M35 series Deuce and a halfs were used for gun trucks but the switch was
soon made to the M54 series 5 tons due to their ability to carry more weight
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I never knew there was such a thing as an armored gun truck.
View Quote

really?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being that the M113 was aluminum, I don't understand why they mounted it up on the truck let alone use it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#29]
as far as firepower goes.... these take the cake

those are these
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Being that the M113 was aluminum, I don't understand why they mounted it up on the truck let alone use it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a guess, but it was the best available that could be made to fit on the truck quickly.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just a guess, but it was the best available that could be made to fit on the truck quickly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hulls were from disabled vehicles.  The M113's aluminum armor (like the Bradley and LVT7) was good at defeating small arms fire up to 7.62 and shrapnel but were particularly vulnerable to mines, IEDs, and RPGs.  I would bet that all of those truck-mounted hulls had been made useless by mines or RPGs (which actually made rather small holes you might not notice in the pics) and stripped for parts before being repurposed as gun trucks.  As vulnerable as they were, the aluminum armor of the M113 is way better than the sheets of mild steel you see in a lot of those "hill billy" armoring jobs.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top