Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/23/2023 2:40:48 PM EDT
When you watch the shows they had a globe enclosure for the crew that maximizes usable space and minimizes material, plus it is the best design for a pressure vessel.
It also puts the engines far back from the living quarters to keep radiation and engine failures far from the crew quarters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they have the automatic food maker like the Enterprise

I think not
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think not
View Quote

Do you mean a replicator? I don’t think you are qualified to opine on this subject.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
For the Glory of the Empire!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I would’ve been happy with a bird of prey.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
They had far less firepower and far less redundant safety features than Federation ships…… biggest drawback for Federation ships was having family onboard…….. but all are not nearly as awesome as the Star Destroyer
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
“Want to kill the commanding crew? Aim for this one single spot sticking out from the rest of the ship.”
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think not
View Quote

As the Klingons were Warriors on warships, I doubt they allowed "Sammich makers" to ride along.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It's just a sci-fi show.  Nothing to get worked up over.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the Glory of the Empire!
View Quote

If the "actual " empire would show up, the curb stomping of the klingons and federation would be epic...
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
They leaked and creaked but could move whales throu time so yeah, they are cool space hualers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Cloaking device.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cloaking device.

View Quote

All Klingons should wear cloaking devices.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It also puts the engines far back from the living quarters to keep radiation and engine failures far from the crew quarters.
View Quote
There's a popular piece of fan head canon that Klingons are slavers and that the neck is a defensive feature between the wardens and the irradiated slaves shoveling neutrons in the boiler room or whatever.

It doesn't fit into series canon, but it would have been an interesting direction to take things.  There really does need to be an explanation for how a warrior culture that actively despises engineers, project management, and Power Point manages to keep in the same ballpark as the Federation technologically.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
TOS Klingons were best Klingons.
The constipated honerabul werriers were caricatures of the 80s notions of the samurai.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think not
View Quote

Klingons prefer to eat real meat, still squirming if possible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Best teeth too…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

How did they call it a "bird".
That would assume that they used Engrish and had a similar eco system on Klingon.

I am betting it was loosely translated from Warbergarggle of Prey
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They had far less firepower and far less redundant safety features than Federation ships……
View Quote

I disagree. The D7 (the Klingon ship which most frequently appeared in TOS) was smaller than the Enterprise, but packed more overall firepower, and could hammer the crap out of a Federation ship at close range, due to its heavy disruptors.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's a popular piece of fan head canon that Klingons are slavers and that the neck is a defensive feature between the wardens and the irradiated slaves shoveling neutrons in the boiler room or whatever.

It doesn't fit into series canon, but it would have been an interesting direction to take things.  There really does need to be an explanation for how a warrior culture that actively despises engineers, project management, and Power Point manages to keep in the same ballpark as the Federation technologically.
View Quote

I think that comes out of the Star Fleet Battles game. On the ship descriptions, where most ships had auxilary control stations, Klingon ships had security stations. If they were destroyed there was a chance of mutiny every turn. The Klingon ships were designed to separate at the neck and had an emergency impulse engine there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the "actual " empire would show up, the curb stomping of the klingons and federation would be epic...
View Quote

Same Empire that has troops that cant hit shit with blasters, or rely on a mystic force of midiclorian mutants for power?

Versus a fleet of starships that are all equipped with shields, phaser banks, photon torpedos and just recently got done fighting the war against the Dominion.

Oh and as of Picard have the Borg as Allies.

Yeah, the Empire would get its shit pushed in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s something I wonder about every spacefaring proud warrior race in science fiction.

Are most of what we know as Predators part of a vast and peaceful Kardashev 2 or even 3 level civilization who regard the ones who hunt humans as a bunch of backwater whack jobs?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When you watch the shows they had a globe enclosure for the crew that maximizes usable space and minimizes material, plus it is the best design for a pressure vessel.
View Quote

Are dilithium crystals radioactive?

I don’t think so.

All the ST starship designs must rely on materials science way beyond anything known, to provide the structural integrity needed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]

not sure if trolling
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don’t think so.

All the ST starship designs must rely on materials science way beyond anything known, to provide the structural integrity needed.
View Quote

Dilithium might not be radioactive but the matter/anti-matter reactions are.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Which one of the 6 million Start trek shows or movies are you referring to?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#31]

He’s almost British
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The constipated honerabul werriers were caricatures of the 80s notions of the samurai.
View Quote

The Klingons were based on Niven’s Kzinti, which were 8 foot tall tigers with hairless rat tails.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think that comes out of the Star Fleet Battles game. On the ship descriptions, where most ships had auxilary control stations, Klingon ships had security stations. If they were destroyed there was a chance of mutiny every turn. The Klingon ships were designed to separate at the neck and had an emergency impulse engine there.
View Quote

Back in my SFB days (pre-Internet), the prevailing theory was that the Klingons used captive Vulcans to keep their ships running.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Klingons were based on Niven’s Kzinti, which were 8 foot tall tigers with hairless rat tails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the Kzinti were based on Niven's Kzinti. They appeared in the animated series.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kzinti

Also in the animated series there was another cat-like race called the Caitian. And one was serving on Enterprise.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Caitian
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, yeah but can their ships seperate into a warwagon 1/2 and the women and children 1/2? No? Weak.

Or if the situation is really desperate, both pieces can attack
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same Empire that has troops that cant hit shit with blasters, or rely on a mystic force of midiclorian mutants for power?

Versus a fleet of starships that are all equipped with shields, phaser banks, photon torpedos and just recently got done fighting the war against the Dominion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Darth Vader and Palpatine would crush them from a distance with the Force

And let’s throw in a Suncrusher or two……..

The Empire can bring the Yuuzhan Vong to bear
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would assume that they used Engrish and had a similar eco system on Klingon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would've been happy with a bird of prey.

In an early script the bad guys in Search For Spock were Romulan, somehow the TOS Romulan ship name stuck while the Romulans were replaced by Klingons and their new ship.  

Screenwriters are lazy and this predated the find and replace commands in Word.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

And here enters the problem.

In the original series the bird of prey was Romulan.

Edited to add: and apparently they were painted like a Trans Am
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The animated series episode “ The Slaver Weapon” was pretty good
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don’t think so.

View Quote

Spooooooooock!!!!!!!  Nooooooooooi!!

See ST2: The Wrath of Khan for your answer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In an early script the bad guys in Search For Spock were Romulan, somehow the TOS Romulan ship name stuck while the Romulans were replaced by Klingons and their new ship.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would've been happy with a bird of prey.

Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game basically retconned this by saying the BOP was a joint Romulan-Klingon design (or maybe the Rs licensed it to the Ks or something like that). Hence it was the only Klingon ship to have the cloaking device, but wasn't big enough for plasma torpedoes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Laughs in Romulan.

Put, I used to play outside and I had girlfriends, so I don’t know much about Star Trek.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#44]
What is ridiculous about all the Star Trek ships (Romulan, Klingon, Federation et al) is in fact the location of the command bridge on a prominent location basically one bulkhead away from outer space.

The sci-fi designers seem hell bent on the idea that the crew needs to see through windows to see where they are going, or that is the lasting impression.
The bridge of every Enterprise for example (Constitution, Ambassador, Galaxy, Excelsior, Sovereign class), has the command bridge located in a bulge on the dorsal surface
of the saucer section. A very dumb engineering and tactical faux pax. The reality is the commander sees and maintains situational awareness through a viewscreen monitor
so why not bury the bridge in the very center of the starship?

Agreed on the Klingon ship designs though; every single one is sinister looking and functional. Least favorite of mine is the Federation-styled Vorcha Class cruiser.
I'll take a B'rel class Klingon Bird-of-Prey please. Capable of atmospheric flight, take off and landing plus the cloaking device. Cozy little ship.

Incidentally, I think they buffed the Klingons firepower in later series so the UFP (United Federation of Planets) would have half a chance at defeating them, and of
course the Federation+Klingon alliance seems to bear this out in the "if you can't beat them, join them" adage.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#45]
What do toilet paper and the USS Enterprise designs have in common????
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#46]
One day I should build this.

It’s huge.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, but those Klingon crystals don't handle going back to 1984 very well.  After a while you're visible, and dead in the water.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What is ridiculous about all the Star Trek ships (Romulan, Klingon, Federation et al) is in fact the location of the command bridge on a prominent location basically one bulkhead away from outer space.

The sci-fi designers seem hell bent on the idea that the crew needs to see through windows to see where they are going, or that is the lasting impression.
The bridge of every Enterprise for example (Constitution, Ambassador, Galaxy, Excelsior, Sovereign class), has the command bridge located in a bulge on the dorsal surface
of the saucer section. A very dumb engineering and tactical faux pax. The reality is the commander sees and maintains situational awareness through a viewscreen monitor
so why not bury the bridge in the very center of the starship?

Agreed on the Klingon ship designs though; every single one is sinister looking and functional. Least favorite of mine is the Federation-styled Vorcha Class cruiser.
I'll take a B'rel class Klingon Bird-of-Prey please. Capable of atmospheric flight, take off and landing plus the cloaking device. Cozy little ship.

Incidentally, I think they buffed the Klingons firepower in later series so the UFP (United Federation of Planets) would have half a chance at defeating them, and of
course the Federation+Klingon alliance seems to bear this out in the "if you can't beat them, join them" adage.

View Quote
Some of the earliest Enterprise concept sketches by Jeffries had the bridge/living quarters on a stick to isolate it from radiation, similar to the Klingons.  
Attachment Attached File

Andrew Probert, who had designed the Motion Picture Enterprise refit, painted his idea for the next Enterprise for his own enjoyment around 1980 and hung the painting in his office when he came to work on TNG pre-production, designing sets.  
Attachment Attached File

Nobody had an idea what the new ship would look like, but one day David Gerrold walked in, snatched it off the wall, and took it to Roddenberry.  It was approved on the spot and after some back and forth Probert submitted a final design that had the bridge buried in the center of the saucer.  Roddenberry lengthened the nacelles a bit and stuck the bridge back on top to finalize the design.
Attachment Attached File

It is a useful scale reference, they loved those conference room "pondering" shots out the window, and they zoomed in on it all the time for establishing shots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think not
View Quote

Klingons eat worms
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top