BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yucca will most likely not happen. They loved the fed money during the studies, then are trying to back out. I'm OK with above ground storage. The whole thing just pisses me off. 20 years of work on this issue....  Fucking done, and don't want to arock myself...
View Quote

I agree, but I much favor shallow UG storage.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This nuclear waste nonsense really is going to be a nothing burger in a few years.

Elon's starship can hand 1200 tons and the USA has about 90,000 tons of waste.

That's only 75 missions to yeet the nuke crap into space to get rid of it.

Launch that shit at uranus, I don't care
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Brought to you, by Carl's Jr.
View Quote

Carl's Jr.
"Fuck you, I'm eating!"
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This nuclear waste nonsense really is going to be a nothing burger in a few years.

View Quote

You had me at uranus.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Put it in boxes with Apple and Adidas logos on it, and set them on the east side of Mariupol for the Ruskies to take home as spoils.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

One launch failure, and it's Chernobyl times a hundred, though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll just leave this here.

We Solved Nuclear Waste Decades Ago

Yes he can be a bit of a doomer. Yes he thinks human cause climate change is real, but at least he thinks nuclear power is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh.

Send it to goddamn New Jersey with the toxic waste & medical waste, like everyone else does…
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Launch it into the sun
View Quote

Just make sure to get it right...............

Early days of the space age - Rocket Failures

OOPS!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
The earth is mostly made of molten core - Made hot by radioactivity - Why is there any controversy at all about burying radioactive waste in the ground - Largely due to public ignorance and fear mongering.

Guns is only one topic the media complete mis-represents - nearly any topic they screw up deliberately or out of ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to get it into space? Rockets are a no go, we all know how bad that could end up if one exploded, so lets have a conversation... There must be a way to "sling" into space... OR... could you in theory, with a long enough cable attached to something already in orbit drag it into space? Im just a drunk redneck, but I made a few potato guns as a kid, so I can keep up...
View Quote

Space yeeting radioactive waste

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yucca will most likely not happen. They loved the fed money during the studies, then are trying to back out. I'm OK with above ground storage. The whole thing just pisses me off. 20 years of work on this issue....  Fucking done, and don't want to arock myself...

Above ground makes being targeted and destroyed during conflict much moee likely. Bury it deep
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then launch somewhere far away
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The earth is mostly made of molten core - Made hot by radioactivity - Why is there any controversy at all about burying radioactive waste in the ground - Largely due to public ignorance and fear mongering.

Guns is only one topic the media complete mis-represents - nearly any topic they screw up deliberately or out of ignorance.
View Quote

Burying something 500 feet down is a far cry from burying it 500 miles down.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Far away...from Earth?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Above ground makes being targeted and destroyed during conflict much moee likely. Bury it deep
View Quote

Not deep.  It needs to be shallow enough that conventional excavation methods can retrieve it if necessary.  But deep enough to avoid natural disasters - flood, earthquake, tornado, etc. - and sabotage.

Shallower also avoids most groundwater issues, and makes monitoring much simpler and cheaper
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Has any research been done on how to speed it up?  If so, what was the outcome and what were the challenges?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not deep.  It needs to be shallow enough that conventional excavation methods can retrieve it if necessary.  But deep enough to avoid natural disasters - flood, earthquake, tornado, etc. - and sabotage.

Shallower also avoids most groundwater issues, and makes monitoring much simpler and cheaper
View Quote

Water is apparently a bigger problem for long term storage than geologic instability. Which lasts longer? The mountains or the sea?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The need to label the waste site for 87 thousand years is stupid. Label it well enough for 200 and redo it in 150. If there's some event so bad we lose all language and every person with the knowledge of the glowy bad bad things are so screwed that someone digging up and liking a spent fuel rod is a low level worry at best
View Quote

Ding ding ding.

If waste is buried a few thousand feet down, anyone with the capability to unbury it has already figured out what radiation is, and would know what they found as soon as they dig into it.

It's literally about the dumbest possible concern imaginable in energy production. Encase in ceramic/concrete, store a few thousand feet down in a salt dome or geologically stable area. The really hot stuff doesn't last 200,000 years anyways.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Air drop it over Moscow.
View Quote

WHAT if the winds go north-west ?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Water is apparently a bigger problem for long term storage than geologic instability. Which lasts longer? The mountains or the sea?
View Quote

The elev. of the waste storage site will ensure that seawater intrusion will not be a problem for hundreds of thousands of years, at least.  It's not going to be anywhere near the coast, or a major body of water.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Drop it into a subduction zone.
View Quote

^^^^BINGO!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Far away...from Earth?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Far away...from Earth?  

antartica
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding.

If waste is buried a few thousand feet down, anyone with the capability to unbury it has already figured out what radiation is, and would know what they found as soon as they dig into it.

It's literally about the dumbest possible concern imaginable in energy production. Encase in ceramic/concrete, store a few thousand feet down in a salt dome or geologically stable area. The really hot stuff doesn't last 200,000 years anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The need to label the waste site for 87 thousand years is stupid. Label it well enough for 200 and redo it in 150. If there's some event so bad we lose all language and every person with the knowledge of the glowy bad bad things are so screwed that someone digging up and liking a spent fuel rod is a low level worry at best

Ding ding ding.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding ding.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

We have plenty salt domes down here in geologically stable areas. That are also easily accusable by water. So, technically it would be super easy and safe to load a barge with the waste and bring it down here. You also don't have to worry about hurricanes because the salt domes are deep
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We have plenty salt domes down here in geologically stable areas. That are also easily accusable by water. So, technically it would be super easy and safe to load a barge with the waste and bring it down here. You also don't have to worry about hurricanes because the salt domes are deep
View Quote

Avery Island just shut down. Yeet some of that stuff down the shaft...
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hells yeah, plenty of room in there and super easy water access

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top