Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Pastrami cold?  OP fails at life.

Best cold is an Italian with hot capicola, hot sopressata, hard and Genoa salami. Pepperoni is acceptable but not preferred. Smoked turkey and/or ham can be added too, but is unnecessary.

Slightly toasted bun, but only bun. Rest of sandwich is cold. Mayo is allowed, but just extra sauce is better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seriously? Two pages and nobody knows what the best cold sandwich is?
MEATLOAF !!!!! In my house, meatloaf is made specifically for use as sandwiches for the following few days.
Additionally, if you need a "recipe" to make a damn sandwich, you might just as well cook a meal. A sandwich is supposed to be simple and quick, not a big production.
View Quote

definitely a top contender, simple too... good bread, lotta mustard and mayo.. that's it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's not a reuben at all. Are you guys dumb?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, it's a cold double-decker Reuben?

Essentially. It's new Jersey..

It's not a reuben at all. Are you guys dumb?

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
And op is not just wrong. He’s sleeping with his sister in Alabama while listening to Garth Brooks wrong.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Best cold is an Italian with hot capicola, hot sopressata, hard and Genoa salami. Pepperoni is acceptable but not preferred. Smoked turkey and/or ham can be added too, but is unnecessary.

Slightly toasted bun, but only bun. Rest of sandwich is cold. Mayo is allowed, but just extra sauce is better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And op is not just wrong. He’s sleeping with his sister in Alabama while listening to Garth Brooks wrong.
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif...

So you don’t know Italian cold cuts. Got it.

Psst…they’re hot as in spicy. Not temperature.

I really hope you’re a teen. No adult male should be that ignorant.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No shit .....

every time I want a quick sandwich, I send the wife into the catacombs under our home to select a wheel of the finest aged cheese we have spent years reserving for just such an occasion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No shit .....

every time I want a quick sandwich, I send the wife into the catacombs under our home to select a wheel of the finest aged cheese we have spent years reserving for just such an occasion.

Have her grab me a wheel or two while she's down there.

What would you recommend Chef ????

After I try your catacomb cheese I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Jeepsnguns81

Serious question cause maybe im not in the know.  What is the difference between pre sliced and sliced at the deli counter. Id bet big money your big box grocery store is sourcing their cheese from mass produced vendors.

Less you got some bad ass home brew artisan Cheese set up. If you got that i want to see it as that is DOPE as hell. But lets not pretend the stuff they are cutting for you is some artisan made thing vs something they had pre sliced.
View Quote

The latter tastes better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cold Meatloaf? Ban this MFER right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MEATLOAF !!!!! In my house, meatloaf is made specifically for use as sandwiches for the following few days.
Additionally, if you need a "recipe" to make a damn sandwich, you might just as well cook a meal. A sandwich is supposed to be simple and quick, not a big production.

It's actually really good with the right meatloaf.  My mother's meatloaf was delicious hot or cold but best was fried in butter the next day so it had a crunchy shell and edges!  Man, combine that with sunny side up eggs and it was the perfect breakfast!  Or lunch.  Or dinner.  Actually, anytime!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Assemble.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_223456311_jpg-2647649.JPG

one of my personal favorites is home made Pastrami and turkey

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_224330738_jpg-2647650.JPG

But the magic is wrapping it all up and pressing in some plastic wrap and letting it sit for a couple days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_224644988_jpg-2647651.JPG

Come Dec 26th this is going to be some bomb ass sandwiches.

If you disagree you are just Fucking wrong.
View Quote

How is it not a soggy mess when you eat it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I fail to see how that sloppy mess improves by letting it sit for a day or two.

The whole thing here about this type of post is while it might be the OPs favorite sandwich that doesn't make it my favorite.

If I were to build that slippery mess I might wait a minute or two to grill it but When I build a sandwich that means I am ready to eat now damit!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

definitely a top contender, simple too... good bread, lotta mustard and mayo.. that's it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meatloaf is disgusting in its own right.  Covering it in bread and condiments doesn't fix it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

But shes hot..
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The best cold sandwich is a hot Reuben sandwich wrapped up and eaten cold from your backpack on a hunting trip.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Jeepsnguns81

Serious question cause maybe im not in the know.  What is the difference between pre sliced and sliced at the deli counter. Id bet big money your big box grocery store is sourcing their cheese from mass produced vendors.

Less you got some bad ass home brew artisan Cheese set up. If you got that i want to see it as that is DOPE as hell. But lets not pretend the stuff they are cutting for you is some artisan made thing vs something they had pre sliced.

it tastes better because you paid more and feel its better. Go talk to your big box grocery and ask them the legit difference. The difference is when it was cut and what they charged. Not the source. Since cheese sits in my fridge for days or weeks. It really doesnt matter.

Its like buying Surplus ammo as Military Grade cause commercial is for the plebs.

ETA: Its like paying extra for Brown Eggs cause they are better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Assemble.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_223456311_jpg-2647649.JPG

one of my personal favorites is home made Pastrami and turkey

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_224330738_jpg-2647650.JPG

But the magic is wrapping it all up and pressing in some plastic wrap and letting it sit for a couple days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127073/PXL_20221224_224644988_jpg-2647651.JPG

Come Dec 26th this is going to be some bomb ass sandwiches.

If you disagree you are just Fucking wrong.

honest question.

Its moist for sure. But its not bad or a total mess. But hence the sloppy.

I tend to cut them in half and eat one half at a time and its fantastic. It doesnt fall apart or anything but if you were looking for Crisp this isnt it.  But giving it a few days to meld makes it fucking amazing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I question the OP's sanity and patriotism for using the bread shown in the Post!  There, I said it!  If it ain't white bread, it ain't right bread.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I fail to see how that sloppy mess improves by letting it sit for a day or two.

The whole thing here about this type of post is while it might be the OPs favorite sandwich that doesn't make it my favorite.

If I were to build that slippery mess I might wait a minute or two to grill it but When I build a sandwich that means I am ready to eat now damit!
View Quote

@nhsport
Honest question.

In lots of recipes allowing flavors to mingle for time allow for an enhanced flavor profile. This is very similar.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

it tastes better because you paid more and feel its better. Go talk to your big box grocery and ask them the legit difference. The difference is when it was cut and what they charged. Not the source. Since cheese sits in my fridge for days or weeks. It really doesnt matter.

Its like buying Surplus ammo as Military Grade cause commercial is for the plebs.
View Quote

The good cheeses are behind the case bro.  Stores don't want the poors shoplifting the good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I question the OP's sanity and patriotism for using the bread shown in the Post!  There, I said it!  If it ain't white bread, it ain't right bread.  
View Quote

I love white bread. But white bread would just be mush.

ETa. A pimento cheese on white is an amazing sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man you are not wrong. Good leftover meatloaf makes a great sandwich. Same with pot roast.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Went into a store in Norfolk Va on Granby St, The French Bakery, and ask for a sandwich, their choice, and walked away happy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Meatloaf is disgusting in its own right.  Covering it in bread and condiments doesn't fix it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
OP?

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The good cheeses are behind the case bro.  Stores don't want the poors shoplifting the good stuff.
View Quote

Mine will pre-slice the popular stuff; but they package it in like 3lb packages.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
For the fresh sliced cheese master race folks.

Ill concede that even if its the same cheese, cheese sliced now is better than cheese sliced yesterday and vacuum sealed.

My question is do you go to the store every day to by two slices for dinner tonight or do you buy a pound of that stuff at a time and let it sit in your fridge till you eat it all or you toss it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ill concede that even if its the same cheese, cheese sliced now is better than cheese sliced yesterday and vacuum sealed.

My question is do you go to the store every day to by two slices for dinner tonight or do you buy a pound of that stuff at a time and let it sit in your fridge till you eat it all or you toss it.
View Quote

You buy 2-3lb bricks and cut what you need off the brick.

Toss it?
All the cheese I buy is already a year old before it even gets into my fridge.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mine will pre-slice the popular stuff; but they package it in like 3lb packages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which unless you like constipation will sit in your fridge for at least a week or so while you consume it. If you are eating three pounds of cheese in a sitting i feel bad for your colon.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Toss it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toss it?

So explain to me how you do that? Do you do a slicer or do you hand carve it? How thick do you buy it and how thin do you cut it? How thin can you get it till you just have a huge hunk of cheese you cant deal with?

As a person with a decent mechanical slicer and decent knifes and OK knife skills, the effort to clean all that hardware on the machine or waste by doing it by hand seem to not be worth it.

To slice a cube of Swiss by hand would require at least 6 inches of a chunk to get a good grip and get usable product. If smaller i would need my mechanical slicer and doing 1 or 2 slices at a time and cleaning that shit would suck.

How do you deal with it?

Im truly in aw that you would dedicate so much effort to a couple slices of cheese. You are in deed a baller

ETA. Seriously. .Maybe you are that OCD about cheese. But i don't believe a GD word you are saying. So put up or shut up. i respect food, so put me in my place. If you are that guy im in awe but damn it smells like BS.

ETA.. Just realized i got trolled. Good job bro..  Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I usually just buy sliced cheese the day I'm planning on making sandwiches.  Any that's leftover I'll make another sandwich and put it in the fridge for a couple of days, then when I need fresh stuff I'll run to the store with the couple day old sandwich and toss it to the homeless guy out front on the way in.  After buying the new stuff I make sure to go out the opposite way I went in, otherwise the previously mentioned homeless guy accosts me for giving him a crappy sandwich on marbled rye covered in salad dressing and with old cheese.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
it's hard to believe you can fuck up something as simple as a sandwich but OP did it in every single step of that outlined process

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So explain to me how you do that? Do you do a slicer or do you hand carve it? How thick do you buy it and how thin do you cut it? How thin can you get it till you just have a huge hunk of cheese you cant deal with?

As a person with a decent mechanical slicer and decent knifes and OK knife skills, the effort to clean all that hardware on the machine or waste by doing it by hand seem to not be worth it.

To slice a cube of Swiss by hand would require at least 6 inches of a chunk to get a good grip and get usable product. If smaller i would need my mechanical slicer and doing 1 or 2 slices at a time and cleaning that shit would suck.

How do you deal with it?

Im truly in aw that you would dedicate so much effort to a couple slices of cheese. You are in deed a baller

ETA. Seriously. .Maybe you are that OCD about cheese. But i don't believe a GD word you are saying. So put up or shut up. i respect food, so put me in my place. If you are that guy im in awe but damn it smells like BS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toss it?

How do you deal with it?

Umm are you OK?
Or are you trolling me?
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks decent OP but the best cold sandwich is an Italian
View Quote

Yes, if I were so fortunate as to live in New Jersey, and wanted a sandwich, I would go to an indie place with an Italian name and order an Italian Sub (w/oil, vinegar and oregano  - no mayo). But that's me, living in far away Ohio.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh, Club Sub is just fine by me ...

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#38]
OP is wrong.  

Italian is the best cold sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok OP I am game.  IM me and I will send you the address where you can send mine to try.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

honest question.

Its moist for sure. But its not bad or a total mess. But hence the sloppy.

I tend to cut them in half and eat one half at a time and its fantastic. It doesnt fall apart or anything but if you were looking for Crisp this isnt it.  But giving it a few days to meld makes it fucking amazing.
View Quote

I hate making sandwiches for lunch the day before because the bread gets soggy. I couldn’t imagine adding wet slaw (which tend to welt) also. Different strokes I guess.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been enjoying Turkey/Bacon/Avocado sandwiches recently
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Some days I'd say a homemade Cuban. Other days, pastrami on rye.
Nostalgia makes me love pbj, crunchy, of course.
Fried bologna, like my dad used to make. Or my mom's BLT with crunchy bacon.

I've been jonesing for a good egg salad sandwich this week. Extra paprika.

Variety is the spice of life!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not a big fan of overused condiments of messy sandwiches.partly this comes from having a beard, partly from having oil slopped hands uncomfortable.

My favorite sub is an Italian from Fortunatos in Tucson.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

chicom faggotry!
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#45]
James May: Spam vs Ham – the ultimate showdown

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#46]
A proper made Italian always gets my vote for a cold sandwhich.

Lately a homemade tuna salad sandwich on good bread has been popular with me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
is that 3 breads, 2 meats, some bizarre salad dressing and some cheeses?
Why not just use what you have laying around?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461570/lox_jpg-2647706.JPG
View Quote

It appears a rabbit shit on your sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#48]
When I was a young guy I worked in an Italian deli in New York.
The other workers and I experimented with every possible combination in a sandwich but we always seemed to some back to a simple turkey breast and provolone on a hard roll.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lobster rolls are traditionally served cold,  apparently you don’t understand that
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
it's hard to believe you can fuck up something as simple as a sandwich but OP did it in every single step of that outlined process

View Quote

Yeah, I'm gonna go with this guy.  I was out at the rye bread step.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top