BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You can have a similar McDonalds experience in India today. Low prices, good service, delicious food, and thin customers. It's like stepping into a time machine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

Gov guidelines kicked in in 1980. We followed them.

Traded. Steak for sugar. Beef tallow for vegetable oil. Butter for margarine. We became a population of sugar and carb addicts.

If you really wanna know, here’s a fantastic detailed timeline of how gov and science lied to us:

FAT: A Documentary | Health & Wellness | Weight Loss | FULL DOCUMENTARY
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Super-size was introduced in 1987.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super-size was introduced in 1987.

McDonald's switch from tallow to vegetable oils in the early 1990's.

Also, the burger patties were made meat and not whatever the put in them today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Internet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my first thought, the majority of people in that video were not overweight, and dressed properly.  I haven't eaten at a McDonalds more than a handful of times as an adult, but I loved it as a kid in the 1980's.  

I'm stunned when I observe people today, the majority of people are clinically obese, and most of them don't even realize it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are plenty of things you can point the finger at, but it boils down to a multitude of factors stemming from a society in decline.

Lack of exercise? Sure, why? Because people eat trash food and feel like garbage? Why would they do that? Because they're addicted to HFCS? Okay, why are they eating that in the first place? Because that's what gets advertised? Okay, why aren't they more critical of advertising and care more about their health? Lack of education? Okay, why is there a lack of education? Have standards dropped that much that people just don't care?

And so on and so forth.

There's no single factor that can be blamed and pretty much all of us can have some fault attributed because we could do/could have done more to help stop or reverse it
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Comparison of those prices (I had to guess at a few) adjusted for inflation for 2022 (187% increase):
@SWIRE

Item    1984    2022
Bacon egg and cheese biscuit    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit    $0.89    $2.51
Big breakfast sausage etc    $1.85    $5.22
Scrambled eggs and biscuit    $1.05    $2.96
Hot cakes and sausage    $1.40    $3.95
Hot cakes    $0.87    $2.45
Egg mcmuffin    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin    $0.87    $2.45
Hash Browns    $0.38    $1.07
danish    $0.85    $2.40
Chicken mcnuggets 6 pieces    $1.42    $4.00
Chicken mcnuggets 9 pieces    $2.03    $5.72
Chicken mcnuggets 20 pieces    $4.15    $11.70
Big Mac    $1.48    $4.17
Quarter Pounder    $1.43    $4.03
Royale with Cheese    $1.60    $4.51
Filet-O-Fish    $1.25    $3.53
Cheeseburger    $0.75    $2.12
Hamburger    $0.60    $1.69
French Fries    $0.67    $1.89
French Fries Large    $0.83    $2.34
Double Cheeseburger    $1.52    $4.29
Drink Small    $0.57    $1.61
Drink Med    $0.67    $1.89
Drink Large    $0.77    $2.17
Milkshakes    $0.75    $2.12
Milk    $0.45    $1.27
Florida Orange Juice    $0.45    $1.27
Coffee    $0.35    $0.99
Coffee Large    $0.45    $1.27
Hot Apple Pie    $0.62    $1.75
Sundaes    $0.60    $1.69
Cone Soft Serve    $0.50    $1.41
Mcdonaldland Cookies    $0.50    $1.41
Chocolatey Chip Cookies    $0.55    $1.55
Gift Certificate    $0.50    $1.41

View Quote

Royale with cheese.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember growing up and going to McD's was like going to a top shelf steak house, we could not believe mom and dad were taking us out to eat and spending money on food that was not cooked in the house.

I also remember 10 cent McD hamburgers, 40 cent Big Macs and 20 cent chocolate shakes

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The fries were cooked in beef tallow. They changed it to heart attack oils ironically to be healthier lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are plenty of things you can point the finger at, but it boils down to a multitude of factors stemming from a society in decline.

Lack of exercise? Sure, why? Because people eat trash food and feel like garbage? Why would they do that? Because they're addicted to HFCS? Okay, why are they eating that in the first place? Because that's what gets advertised? Okay, why aren't they more critical of advertising and care more about their health? Lack of education? Okay, why is there a lack of education? Have standards dropped that much that people just don't care?

And so on and so forth.

There's no single factor that can be blamed and pretty much all of us can have some fault attributed because we could do/could have done more to help stop or reverse it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And so on and so forth.

It’s a very American issue. My high level brush is self control and rationalization of that which can be broken down many a way.

Wanting cheaper
Wanting more
Etc etc
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And there you go...

For the youngin's on this board, there was a time in merica' when a large portion of the population smoked. There weren't any "NO SMOKING" sections in public places. Smokers were not ostracized like they are today.

Hell, I did not know what a "Smoke Free Environment" was until I went to a private military school (it was, pardon the pun...very refreshing).

When folks smoke, they eat less. Thus, obesity was not a large problem (again, another pun). However, there were a lot of folks with a smokers hack.

Trade one problem for another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No more cigarettes.

And there you go...

For the youngin's on this board, there was a time in merica' when a large portion of the population smoked. There weren't any "NO SMOKING" sections in public places. Smokers were not ostracized like they are today.

Hell, I did not know what a "Smoke Free Environment" was until I went to a private military school (it was, pardon the pun...very refreshing).

When folks smoke, they eat less. Thus, obesity was not a large problem (again, another pun). However, there were a lot of folks with a smokers hack.

Trade one problem for another.
This was going to be another comment of mine.  Smoking suppressed appetites.  People had another "fix" rather than food/snacking.  

Was it healthy?  No.  Did people have something else to do other than eating a bag of cookies?  Yes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
McDonald's sure has changed since that video

We had lunch at McD's on the way to the range Thursday

Walk in and there are 2 kiosks, place your own order

There are still 2 stations for ordering from a person

From the customers perspective you see no food prep.  The front of house is tiny compared to the old days

And the dining area was tiny

So many people use drive thru now that dining rooms are a waste I guess

Oh, we both had the fish sandwich combo....it was excellent (newish store) and polite employees

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where’s the fighting, twerking on counter tops, and furniture tossing?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1984 was when Atari was killing the game market. Cable TV was hugely popular. Remote Controlz were common as heck.
View Quote

You had to be rich to afford cable TV and remote!

A second hand atari could of been had for cheap because all the cool kids had colieco vision
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Smoking in a McDonalds
View Quote

I remember the gold tin ashtrays on every table and free coke spoons.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

20 pcs. nuggets is $6.20 now. And that isn’t the meal. Just the nuggets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No more cigarettes.
View Quote

Or the little tin ashtrays
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.

It's in fucking everything. Italian sausage, #2 or 3 ingredient.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top