Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat picture and some good info in it.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wat?

Has some knucklehead tried to tell you the chicken wing hinders accuracy?

The only issue with a chicken wing is it gives the enemy an extra spot to hit with bullets. It doesn't harm accuracy at all.
View Quote

It opens the pocket on the shoulder for placing the rifle butt, an old target shooter technique.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wat?

Has some knucklehead tried to tell you the chicken wing hinders accuracy?

The only issue with a chicken wing is it gives the enemy an extra spot to hit with bullets. It doesn't harm accuracy at all.
View Quote

Rotating your elbow to horizontal and rotating forward a bit creates the pocket for your buttstock.  I think it helps follow up shots, and is a more secure platform. Less muscling to steady the weapon and I’d say more accurate. At CQB ranges it is a greater target.

If you wear body armor you can’t create a good pocket as your shoulder pocket is covered by the plate. I think it takes more muscle to hold the rifle in place as you have the inner edge of the buttstock, not the whole surface, against the plate.  Those are good reasons to square against the target; many say it’s plates front toward enemy but it’s also getting a better contact of the buttstock to your body.

I’m not a subject matter expert but that’s what worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That pine tree in the background

Are there pine trees on Pacific islands or is this a training pic

View Quote

Yes. There are pine trees on Pacific Islands.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Rotating your elbow to horizontal and rotating forward a bit creates the pocket for your buttstock.  I think it helps follow up shots, and is a more secure platform. Less muscling to steady the weapon and I’d say more accurate. At CQB ranges it is a greater target.

If you wear body armor you can’t create a good pocket as your shoulder pocket is covered by the plate. I think it takes more muscle to hold the rifle in place as you have the inner edge of the buttstock, not the whole surface, against the plate.  Those are good reasons to square against the target; many say it’s plates front toward enemy but it’s also getting a better contact of the buttstock to your body.

I’m not a subject matter expert but that’s what worked for me.
View Quote

The weapons of the day (03 Springfield/M1 Garand/M14) also fired full power cartridges that would be pretty stout for recoil. Creating the pocket helped control the guns . Especially when in the standing position, which was in vogue back when basic marksmanship was taught.

Intermediate cartridges are much easier to control, combine with body armor/plates made the need/practicality of the pocket less.

I use the chickening/Pocket when competing /shooting Service rifle. When I'm practicing with my fighting AR, I do not.

I liken it to being able/knowing how to use a sling... I don't need to often, but when I need to, it's a nice tool in the tool box.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:...Few lockbars survive.
View Quote

Back in the 1990's, I bought a brand new S.A. M1A that came with a lockbar rear sight.

I sold it later to fund a USPSA/IPSC pistol

can't find a better pic than this

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top