Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The Cheesy Western. Burger, with egg, pickle relish, pickles, onion (if you ask), and cheese.  Good if you're drunk, otherwise  blech.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Primanti Bros. Sammich.  Fries and cole slaw on the sandwich.

Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You get all sorts of oddities around Chicago due to all of the immigrants here.  It's hard to name just one.  I guess the most famous odd thing is deep dish pizza since every visitor wants to eat it.  Smelts are popular here, not sure if they are in other parts of the country.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas (and even different regions of Texas) are famous for a lot of culinary things, but I'm hard pressed to think of much that's "interesting" or "odd".

Enchilada gravy, perhaps? Various takes on queso (with the Bob Armstrong variant being my absolute favorite)? Frito Pie?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in El Paso, they have something called Chico’s Tacos.

Rolled tacos in a tomato sauce covered in cheese.

Man, I love those things, especially smothered in their green chili sauce!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sonoran dags.

Within lies bacon wrapped goodness!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are the Yoopers and their Pasties?!
Comfort Food.
Guess they're not sharing their secret with us!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are the Yoopers and their Pasties?!
Comfort Food.
Guess they're not sharing their secret with us!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12582/pasties_jpg-898863.JPG
View Quote
Still on dial-up so the first page hasn't loaded yet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah yeah, forgot about kolaches. In Houston that first pic is of kolaches. Yes, it's not traditionally correct, but those are kolaches in H-town.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I currently live in Houston. There is nothing that everyone in the country hasn't heard of already but I guess the most obvious would be fajita. Here in the little taquerias of H-town fajita means skirt steak though and you can get it made a myriad of ways.

I used to enjoy a giant fajita quesadilla when drunk/hung over.

I originally come from a Czech area and in Czech areas you have sausage rolls (kolbasnsik) and kolaches, which some folks think are sausage rolls but are a pastry more like a danish.

Sausage rolls:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/4E43CC79-A92A-46DC-944C-613A906A9298_jpeg-898670.JPG

Kolaches:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/4EBFB5B8-897C-40B3-92D0-F35C2FB1FC61_jpeg-898674.JPG
Ah yeah, forgot about kolaches. In Houston that first pic is of kolaches. Yes, it's not traditionally correct, but those are kolaches in H-town.
I've seen a few places now that are using the word kolache to refer to the pastry. I've even seen it now in some places where they call the sausage rolls "sausage kolache".
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That looks heavenly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just realized, there is something unique to Houston that other folks may not have heard of and we are now in the season for it. Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the US and they have taken a shine to Cajun/Creole food. This time of the year there are Vietnamese crawfish boils going on. They use a lot of the same spices are Cajuns but add things like basil, lemongrass, a shit load of garlic, and limes instead of lemons. It may be available in other areas of the US now but it started here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81824/44D20590-C627-44BC-ABDD-C676C4DC13F0_jpeg-898720.JPG
That looks heavenly.
If you like mud bugs it is good eating. The Vietnamese restaurants that serve it are also usually cheaper than Cajun restaurants.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know for a fact that's bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not really, food down here is boring and unflavorful
I know for a fact that's bullshit.
@DetrhoytMAK

Fun Fact...we used to go to the boat launch and catch salt water snails so we could cook them and eat them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Texas (and even different regions of Texas) are famous for a lot of culinary things, but I'm hard pressed to think of much that's "interesting" or "odd".

Enchilada gravy, perhaps? Various takes on queso (with the Bob Armstrong variant being my absolute favorite)? Frito Pie?
View Quote
The thing is our cuisine is so well known that it can be hard to think of things that other folks aren't already familiar with. I listed kolaches, and Viet Cajun crawfish. Another guy posted about some kind of taco from El Paso I've never heard of.

IIRC you live in the Dallas area and while there is tons of great food there, I can't think of anything all that unusual but there are a few places that make different variations of familiar food. I would say for instance that I have never had pizza exactly like Campisi's anywhere else in the US (not that it is the greatest pizza ever but it is different).
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The thing is our cuisine is so well known that it can be hard to think of things that other folks aren't already familiar with. I listed kolaches, and Viet Cajun crawfish. Another guy posted about some kind of taco from El Paso I've never heard of.

IIRC you live in the Dallas area and while there is tons of great food there, I can't think of anything all that unusual but there are a few places that make different variations of familiar food. I would say for instance that I have never had pizza exactly like Campisi's anywhere else in the US (not that it is the greatest pizza ever but it is different).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, north DFW. The food here is incredible (I'm spoiled for choices), but I really have to think hard to try and come up with anything really odd that's unique to the region. I even thought of Kolaches (Czech Stop FTW!!!), but I wasn't sure that was a Texas-specific thing. Or even all that weird, to be honest. They're definitely popular around here, though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, north DFW. The food here is incredible (I'm spoiled for choices), but I really have to think hard to try and come up with anything really odd that's unique to the region. I even thought of Kolaches (Czech Stop FTW!!!), but I wasn't sure that was a Texas-specific thing. Or even all that weird, to be honest. They're definitely popular around here, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that I think about it, I think Texas caviar originated in Dallas. I don't know if that is know of outside of Texas. Not much to it, just a kind of bean salad eaten with corn chips but I encountered it at a lot of parties in Dallas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sweden is well known for its many culinary highlights. I'm sure all of you have heard about our famous Surströmming, but here are a few other delicacies.

Kebab pizza, the perfect food to cure your hangover.

https://i0.wp.com/www.al-forno.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/kebab-pizza.jpg?fit=550%2C367

Gravlax, a delicacy I eat as often a possible.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/sites/sbs.com.au.food/files/9c_Sliced-gravlax_1.jpg

Jansson's frestelse, a classic for Christmas.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Janssons_frestelse_close-up.jpg
View Quote
Like me some gravlax
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Porketta.  A pork shoulder seasoned with common Italian seasoning.  It is best slow cooked in a crock pot. Take the pork shoulder and butterfly it out, unrolling the whole thing.  Season well with salt, garlic, basil, oregano,  parsley,  pepper.  I've tried smoking them but the flavors do not pair well.  Crock pot on low for like 8 hours.  Let cool for an hour or so and reabsorb the juices.  Often served cold on hard rolls with mustard.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You get all sorts of oddities around Chicago due to all of the immigrants here.  It's hard to name just one.  I guess the most famous odd thing is deep dish pizza since every visitor wants to eat it.  Smelts are popular here, not sure if they are in other parts of the country.
View Quote
I lived in Chicago for over three decades, in every part of the city except Deep South or West Sides. From Rogers Park to Rush St on down to Van Buren. LSD @ Division to Greek Town/Fulton Market.

I have never seen a smelt on a menu (or that I can recall), and there aren’t many central downtown restaurants or neighborhood/Towns that I haven’t done a bunch of.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
"Sugar on Snow" - warm maple syrup drizzled over a bowl of cold outdoor snow. It sort of forms a taffy-like substance you eat with a fork.

Its traditionally served with cider donuts and pickles. I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Only thing I can think of is Key Lime Pie. I also had Key Lime Cheesecake in the keys.  Yum

Chances are if you have had it elsewhere it probably wasn't made with actual key limes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
We've got carne asada fries here: a staple of the all-night drive-through Mexican restaurant. French fries, carne asada pieces, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream or pico de gallo or both.

I really like it, but it's stoner food. Someone had to be baked out of his damn mind from taking too many pot needles, with the munchies, to come up with the idea of throwing all of that crap into a styrofoam clamshell and selling it at the drive-through at 3AM.

Quoted:
Deep Fried Cheese Curds. we dip them in softened butter and eat Them as an appetizer. Also have Pork Tenderloin sandwiches that are as big as your head.
View Quote
Huh. Sounds like my order every time I go to Culver's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've seen a few places now that are using the word kolache to refer to the pastry. I've even seen it now in some places where they call the sausage rolls "sausage kolache".
View Quote
The sausage kind is a bastardization of the Czech tradition.  A Kolache is a fruit pastry.  Klobasy is Czech sausage.

If it's not sweet, it's not a Kolache
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Fried steak reminded me of Finger Steaks at the Oasis in Manhattan, MT.  Those always hit the spot after the drive to/from Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tell me more about the Koolaid pickles.
View Quote
They are awesome.  I think you just put koolAid in the jar with the pickles.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@DetrhoytMAK

Fun Fact...we used to go to the boat launch and catch salt water snails so we could cook them and eat them.
View Quote
How are they cooked? Fried I could probably handle. Boiled, not so sure. Snail just doesn't sound appetizing at all. I do love most sushi, aside from sea urchin, so who knows.

Snails look like a loogey in a shell.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Utica greens, chicken riggies, Syracuse salt potatoes, NYS Fair spiedies, Buffalo wings.
View Quote
Wtf are buffalo wings?

My area developed chicken wings, beef on weck, stuffed banana peppers, and pizza that doesnt taste like shit.

I do give credit to the knuckle draggers from utica though, a few places make chicken riggies that taste pretty good. Syracuse however......theyre still trying to master a pb&j.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The St. Paul Sandwich is pretty cheap and tasty, it's a STL Chinese restaurant specialty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Sugar on Snow" - warm maple syrup drizzled over a bowl of cold outdoor snow. It sort of forms a taffy-like substance you eat with a fork.

Its traditionally served with cider donuts and pickles. I have no idea why.
View Quote
The pickles perfectly neutralize the extreme sweetness of the syrup.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Primanti's sandwiches with fries and coleslaw INSIDE the sandwich

https://roadfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Primanti-sandwich-1.jpg
View Quote
Double cap, egg and cheese!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#30]
No love for the "camel rider" from the Jax area peeps?  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The St. Paul Sandwich is pretty cheap and tasty, it's a STL Chinese restaurant specialty.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157230/Stpaul_jpg-899277.JPG
View Quote
Is that chicken? What's all on that sandwich?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Cheesy Western. Burger, with egg, pickle relish, pickles, onion (if you ask), and cheese.  Good if you're drunk, otherwise  blech.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100647/texas-tavern_jpg-898803.JPG
View Quote
That's like the second Texas Tavern reference in here, man.  C'mon.  That stuff is nasty, man.  Greasy kitchen with food literally served up by derelicts with their bare hands....RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.
The place looks like it was last cleaned in 1954.  It's kinda gross even to drunkards, although I haven't been in there in a few years.  Just a really dingy dive with overpriced mini-hamburgers
and chili that's soupy as hell (which is a crime in of itself!)  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#33]
SW Indiana.... As previously mentioned, brain sandwiches. And these savages cut their pizza into squares.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Fatbags.

(Deep fried pizza roll)
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Only thing I can think of is Key Lime Pie. I also had Key Lime Cheesecake in the keys.  Yum

Chances are if you have had it elsewhere it probably wasn't made with actual key limes.
View Quote
I've never had conch fritters outside of Florida.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fatbags.

(Deep fried pizza roll)
View Quote
Most halal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Nebraska has Runza’s. Oklahoma has onion burgers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Sponge candy, beef on weck, pizza logs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#41]
You haven't lived until you've had a duane purvis at xxx. Especially when drunk or hungover.

https://visitindiana.com/blog/index.php/2012/01/03/triple-xxx-family-restaurant-and-their-duane-purvis-all-american-burger-super46/
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
SW Indiana.... As previously mentioned, brain sandwiches. And these savages cut their pizza into squares.
View Quote
The only pizza I've ever had in E'ville that's worth eating is at the Rocca Bar and it's so good they could cut it anyway they want and I'd still love it. Not a big fan of Turoni's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157230/Stpaul_jpg-899277.JPG
View Quote
That looks pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Navajo Taco is fry bread with all sorts of shit on top...
View Quote
Man do I miss fry bread and Navajo tacos.   Need to make that trip back to AZ soon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a place around here called Tomfooleries that had a burger with peanut butter on it. That was one of those things I wanted to like but just couldn't dig it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#46]
California burrito.
Warm toasted tortilla, cheese melted on. Add lots of carne asada and French fries, and sour cream, pico de Gallo, and guacamole.
No lettuce beans rice or any of that bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gotta have the cherry limeaid to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Is that chicken? What's all on that sandwich?
View Quote
It's an egg foo young patty on white bread with mayo and veggies.  Each restaurant will have different variations of it, ie with pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, and sometimes all of the above combined.  They are usually found in the more greasy Chop Suey type places in STL...so bring some reloads.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ya got damn right!  Old school style with real limes!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Morel mushrooms.  Here in about a month people will be going nuts around here for them

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top