Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was thinking the same thing.  "BADGER ORDNANCE WORKS".  I had to blow up the photo to read it more clearly.

Messing around at Custom Ink...what do you guys think?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166803/badger_ordnance_works_JPG-753651.jpg

A coworker saw this and said "You should put 'World's Best Rice Cookers Since 1945" on the front."  
View Quote
Looks very nice. Now if all that was on the front left side of the chest with
noting on the back as an option it would be ideal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
8 different "thin man" bomb casings are pictured in 1944 in the first photo.

If that's accurate, our early nuke program was prepared for a much wider, more destructive campaign than I previously realized.

By Nagasaki, I thought the U.S. had used up all the nukes we had?

Were there more of them ready to go by VJ Day?
View Quote
I always liked this video:

A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 - by Isao Hashimoto
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife's grandfather was stationed on Tinian, and she has the comic-book style general information booklets the airforce Army air corps gave him when he arrived.  I should scan and post them at some point.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool pics. I hadn't seen them before.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I may make them.
View Quote
I would be interested in a JANFU with the Fatman symbol below it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well they didn't know what material or design would end up working...

so the Manhattan Project was the original GET BOTH.

Gold standard Manhattan Project reading.

Something to wrap your head around is that the nuclear reaction is long-ago ended in that photo. The fission chain reaction is completed in millionths of a second. When the fissile material swells up notably, critical mass is lost and the reaction stops, so the reaction is over before it reaches the casing of the bomb.

If you really want to get wow'd about how fast the stuff happens, read up on thermonuclear bombs. The fusion part is inches away from the fission bomb, and the reactions are all completed before the material from the fission explosion can disturb the fusion part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
not one,....but two different designs, here to fuck your whole day up
Well they didn't know what material or design would end up working...

so the Manhattan Project was the original GET BOTH.

Quoted:
Thanks, I had never seen those two before!
Another must-read classic:
http://www.richardrhodes.com/images/TMAB_Cover-x_small.jpeg
Gold standard Manhattan Project reading.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).
I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg
What a strange moment in time.
Those white projections protruding from the fireball are the tower guy wires being vaporized by the intense X-ray radiation.
Something to wrap your head around is that the nuclear reaction is long-ago ended in that photo. The fission chain reaction is completed in millionths of a second. When the fissile material swells up notably, critical mass is lost and the reaction stops, so the reaction is over before it reaches the casing of the bomb.

If you really want to get wow'd about how fast the stuff happens, read up on thermonuclear bombs. The fusion part is inches away from the fission bomb, and the reactions are all completed before the material from the fission explosion can disturb the fusion part.
I appreciate the explanation, Gamma762 !

Again - fascinating stuff and hard to believe they figured this out over 70 years ago; they truly were the greatest generation.

My old scoutmaster (RIP) had some small role as a metallurgical consultant in the Manhattan project, though he took the particulars with him to the grave; he was a sort of "mad scientist" with a basement resembling a set from a B sci fi movie:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/64104177/carl-andrew-zapffe
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I always liked this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY
View Quote
That is haunting.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... Very cool!  I've never seen any of these pictures
View Quote
Don't forget the great depression was still fresh in the minds of Americans, they didn't sit around stuffing their face, they were still in ration mode.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
8 different "thin man" bomb casings are pictured in 1944 in the first photo.

If that's accurate, our early nuke program was prepared for a much wider, more destructive campaign than I previously realized.

By Nagasaki, I thought the U.S. had used up all the nukes we had?

Were there more of them ready to go by VJ Day?
View Quote
Fatman and littleboy had back ups in the air incase something went wrong
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of photos I've never seen.

Most likely all of these young guys are gone
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m intrigued with the “Badger Ordinance Works” on those cover-alls.  That was a huge munitions factory near Baraboo, WI.

I never came across anything that indicated they were involved in this project.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My parents have an excellent coffee table book back home called "Nuclear Weapons" (I know that doesn't help much, I'll get the author & info next time I'm back home), which is the best book to date that I've ever seen on the subject.  It goes into as much detail as legally possible (probably) about the 3-stage Teller-Ulam device (a design that was "fiendishly clever"), eye-witness accounts of nuclear tests, how Castle Bravo was MUCH bigger than expected and nearly blew away the observers, and a number of accidents that occurred (like one where a guy dropped a socket wrench down a silo, rupturing the missile fuel tank and causing a huge fire).  I love reading that book.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen."

That's exactly how it works, a combination of reducing oxygen in the breathable air below the percentage needed, while also causing CO poisoning preventing oxygen uptake by hemoglobin.

So either way you slice it, it's a lack of oxygen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you imagine living there and surviving that? After a while you would wonder if anyone was going to be left alive.
There were literal fire tornados according to eye witnesses

https://p47koji.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/smisek-100-5.jpg
It's probably the same case there, but I know in Dresden the bulk of the deaths were from suffocation because the fire was so vicious it consumed all the oxygen, while leaving combustion products.
That's not how that work.

Breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen. The particulates and toxic gasses cause your lungs to freak out, fill with fluid and kill you.

You could put the same particulate matter and toxins in an oxygen rich atmosphere and you'd still die breathing it, though it may take longer.
"breathing in fire byproducts kills you via smoke inhalation, not lack of oxygen."

That's exactly how it works, a combination of reducing oxygen in the breathable air below the percentage needed, while also causing CO poisoning preventing oxygen uptake by hemoglobin.

So either way you slice it, it's a lack of oxygen.
That's like saying you die from lack of oxygen after cardiac arrest. Only true in the most technical sense, in reality you die because an organ ceased its proper function (heart for cardiac arrest, lungs for smoke inhalation).

If "that's how smoke inhalation kills you herr herr" is your position, why did you make it sound unique to Dresden? It would be true of the majority of deaths from any fire, large or small, and not particularly noteworthy.

You repeated something silly you heard. You were called on it. Now you're desperately tying semantic balloon animals trying to save face.

The people of Dresden did not die from "lack of oxygen to breathe".
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Some very interesting pictures.  I've wanted to visit the Trinity test site for a while.  It's only open twice a year.  The closest I've been so far is the road north of the access road leading to the site and some time in Alamogordo.

It would be neat to get a hold of some trinitite.  Most was bulldozed and covered at the site.  Interesting Article
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Some years back I was at EAA Oshkosh checking out the B-29 Fifi and there was an amateur film crew interviewing an old guy wearing "cataract glasses". I listened in, the old man was on the back up plane for Tibbets. They flew along with the Enola Gay to Iwo Jima. If there were any problems with the Enola Gay they were to land on Iwo and off load the bomb, load it on the back up bird (which Tibbets & crew would fly) and fly the mission.

The question I wanted to ask and I'll ask now is since there was a bomb pit at Iwo Jima, why weren't the Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions flown from there instead?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My parents have an excellent coffee table book back home called "Nuclear Weapons" (I know that doesn't help much, I'll get the author & info next time I'm back home), which is the best book to date that I've ever seen on the subject.  It goes into as much detail as legally possible (probably) about the 3-stage Teller-Ulam device (a design that was "fiendishly clever"), eye-witness accounts of nuclear tests, how Castle Bravo was MUCH bigger than expected and nearly blew away the observers, and a number of accidents that occurred (like one where a guy dropped a socket wrench down a silo, rupturing the missile fuel tank and causing a huge fire).  I love reading that book.
View Quote
If that's Chuck Hansen's book that's a valuable item.

As far as Castle Bravo, it didn't so much blow anyone away as blast radius doesn't increase that much with increased yield. It was more that the fallout quantity was much larger and covered a larger area than anticipated.  They learned a lot about high yield thermonuclear devices.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom was from Racine so out of curiosity I Googled John Kroes, Racine,WI. (one of the names on Fatman's tail fin)

I thought this was kind of an interesting story.

CALEDONIA — Like many World War II veterans, the late John Kroes didn’t talk much about the war — especially to his nine children.

Although some of his kids knew that he served as a U.S. Army Air Forces mechanic, and that he worked on the Enola Gay — the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan on Aug. 6, 1945 — the details of that service were rarely, if ever, discussed.

So when David Kroes, 54, got an email a few months back from an old work colleague asking him if he might be related to a John Kroes whose signature showed up in a batch of old WWII photos, he didn’t hesitate for a moment.

“I’m at work and I go ‘Lemme see that,’ ” the information technology director recalled.

Within seconds he saw what his friend had wanted to show him. It was a photo of the left tail fin of “Fat Man,” the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, on Aug. 9, 1945. On it was written the names of various service members. One of the names read “John Kroes, Racine, Wisconsin.”

“I said, ‘Oh, my God.’ Dad was the only John Kroes from Racine, Wisconsin, on the island of Tinian. So I said ‘That’s gotta be him.’ ”

More at link
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Very interesting, I wasn't aware the bomb was lifted up into the plane hydraulically.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]
My dad fought to take Tinian not realizing how important it would be to take that island.  The B-29s launched from that island and bombed Japan with the atomic weapons. This made Japan surrender and ended the need to invade the mainland. He would have been with the first waves of Marines going in after Okinawa.
Irony......
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]
80’s song by Gary’O
Shades of 45

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kurlAEpegw
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP, that was cool.

Love the signatures on it.

"here's to you"

"a second kiss to Hirohito"  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As far as Castle Bravo, it didn't so much blow anyone away as blast radius doesn't increase that much with increased yield. It was more that the fallout quantity was much larger and covered a larger area than anticipated.  They learned a lot about high yield thermonuclear devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The incident where a technician dropped a tool in a silo and caused an enourmous explosion (though not nuclear) is detailed in this excellent documentary, which also briefly touches on several other "broken arrow" incidents we have experienced:

It is well-worth the watch.

And it begs the question: how many close-calls / broken arrow incidents did the Russians and Chinese have?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My wife's grandfather was stationed on Tinian, and she has the comic-book style general information booklets the airforce Army air corps gave him when he arrived.  I should scan and post them at some point.
View Quote
@bikedamon , please do!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why?

Cool pics OP, thanks for posting!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brigadier General Tibbets, his grandson, just got fired.
Why?

Cool pics OP, thanks for posting!  
According to Wikipedia:

Tibbets was denied promotion to major general, following an investigation into his allegations of misconduct during his command of the 509th Bomb Wing that included making inappropriate comments regarding women, failure to report suicide attempts under his watch, and inappropriate use of a military vehicle. Tibbets is expected to commence terminal leave on 19 October 2018, and his retirement is expected to take place on 1 December 2018.
Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]
That's cool as hell and no something I had ever seen before. Thanks for sharing that, some really neat history there, even if it was seemingly mundane at the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

According to Wikipedia:

Ouch.
View Quote
Boy that is a major hit he is taking there, sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Project A (Alberta) member CDR A. Francis Birch (left) numbers Little Boy Unit L-11 while Norman Ramsey (right) watches. This is the actual unit which was dropped on Nagasaki.
View Quote
I don't think that's quite right...
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I talked to Dutch Van Kirk the navigator on the Enola Gay. He says that when they returned to Tinian there was more brass there than he has ever seen to congratulate them, they felt like rock stars. And then, when the war ended. The did not get orders to leave because they were forgotten about because of all the celebrations. He rotated back to the Roswell NM to start up with the first strategic bombing wing that was nuclear capable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#31]
My dad and I went to the 50th anniversary of the trinity test site when I was younger and that began my fascination with the project. Thanks for posting OP, we both really enjoyed these photos.

Whomever is talking about making shirts, lowers and whatever else I’m definitely on board!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#32]
as stated...cool pics...bumpity...
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Was thinking the same thing.  "BADGER ORDNANCE WORKS".  I had to blow up the photo to read it more clearly.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166803/badger_ordnance_works_JPG-753651.jpg

A coworker saw this and said "You should put 'World's Best Rice Cookers Since 1945" on the front."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I need a shirt with that logo

Just throwing this out there:

The front needs something.  Maybe a graphics logo like this at the pocket:

With the number "1640" beneath.

That graphic is what Nagasaki would have seen until 1,640 feet in altitude.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#34]
That was really cool, thanks for posting OP
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cool thanks for sharing...
View Quote
This, very neat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#36]
cool, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm in for a shirt!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not many people know that the Military dropped dummy atomic bombs on the NE side of the Salton Sea.

There's still two 4,000 foot long runways, bunkers and a dummy bomb still stuck in the ground out there.
View Quote
I wonder if they had the firing devices in them?

Might have been checking to be sure there was a near 100% chance of them going off.  It would have been bad for an undetonated one to fall into enemy hands
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just throwing this out there:

The front needs something.  Maybe a graphics logo like this at the pocket:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/15093193734_ba9140b086_b.jpg

With the number "1640" beneath.

That graphic is what Nagasaki would have seen until 1,640 feet in altitude.
View Quote
This. I'm not a fan of large frontal or back designs on shirts. I prefer the smaller ones in
the area of the upper left or right chest. Oh and you'll need some hefty sizes as you know
how arfcommers are.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Pearl Harbor, no hard feelings.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES!  That is the book!  Thank you!  Awesome book.  Chuck Hansen - "U.S. Nuclear Weapons:  The Secret History".
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Back in the early 1990’s, the Japanese PM caught some flak here for saying that “Americans are Lazy and Illiterate”. Well, that same week, we had a group of Japanese walking then our plant-a Union plant...... One of my coworkers was name Warren, a perpetual shit-stirrer.... when they walked past his work station, he had one of those old aluminum work lights with the bulb coming out backward so he could wear it like a hat, and a big sign saying “WE MAY BE LAZY AND ILLITERATE, BUT WE BUILD A DANDY BOMB!”

It was Riotous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MADE IN AMERICA

tested in japan

KAPOOYA

KAPOOYA
Back in the early 1990’s, the Japanese PM caught some flak here for saying that “Americans are Lazy and Illiterate”. Well, that same week, we had a group of Japanese walking then our plant-a Union plant...... One of my coworkers was name Warren, a perpetual shit-stirrer.... when they walked past his work station, he had one of those old aluminum work lights with the bulb coming out backward so he could wear it like a hat, and a big sign saying “WE MAY BE LAZY AND ILLITERATE, BUT WE BUILD A DANDY BOMB!”

It was Riotous.
For you kids too young to remember,,,,, here is an archived article

Senator Jokes of Hiroshima Attack

By: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS MARCH 4, 1992

Responding to the Japanese criticism of American workers, Senator Ernest F. Hollings joked with workers here Monday about the atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan.

Mr. Hollings, Democrat of South Carolina, made his remark while touring a plant of the Roller Bearing Company of America in this northeastern South Carolina town. Praising the productivity of American workers, he told about 90 assembled employees, "You should draw a mushroom cloud and put underneath it, 'Made in America by lazy and illiterate Americans and tested in Japan.' "

The comment drew applause from the crowd.

Mr. Hollings said today that he had used the World War II image because he wanted to show he was tired of Japanese criticism.
"I'm not Japan-bashing," he said. "I'm defending against America-bashing. When you defend America, they want you to apologize.
"I made a joke to make a point: The Japanese Speaker was wrong when he said that American workers are lazy and stupid."

Mr. Hollings's reference was to Yoshio Sakurauchi, the Speaker of the lower house of Japan's Parliament. He said in January that American workers were lazy and illiterate. Two weeks later, Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa also suggested that Americans lacked a work ethic.

The Japanese consulate in Atlanta would not comment specifically on Mr. Hollings's remarks.

In Tokyo, a Japanese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Sadaaki Numata, would say only, "One could comment on the taste of it, but that's all I need to say."
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

YES!  That is the book!  Thank you!  Awesome book.  Chuck Hansen - "U.S. Nuclear Weapons:  The Secret History".
View Quote
NICE!  I've got a copy of that.

Take care of that book--when they do show up on Ebay, they run about $150.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Responding to the Japanese criticism of American workers, Senator Ernest F. Hollings joked with workers here Monday about the atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan.

Mr. Hollings, Democrat of South Carolina, made his remark while touring a plant of the Roller Bearing Company of America in this northeastern South Carolina town. Praising the productivity of American workers, he told about 90 assembled employees, "You should draw a mushroom cloud and put underneath it, 'Made in America by lazy and illiterate Americans and tested in Japan.' "

Mr. Hollings said today that he had used the World War II image because he wanted to show he was tired of Japanese criticism.
"I'm not Japan-bashing," he said. "I'm defending against America-bashing. When you defend America, they want you to apologize.
"I made a joke to make a point: The Japanese Speaker was wrong when he said that American workers are lazy and stupid."

Mr. Hollings's reference was to Yoshio Sakurauchi, the Speaker of the lower house of Japan's Parliament. He said in January that American workers were lazy and illiterate. Two weeks later, Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa also suggested that Americans lacked a work ethic.

The Japanese consulate in Atlanta would not comment specifically on Mr. Hollings's remarks.

In Tokyo, a Japanese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Sadaaki Numata, would say only, "One could comment on the taste of it, but that's all I need to say."
View Quote
Really shows how much has changed since 1992 even. Today, he would be castrated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got to drive down those runways in 95. Sent chills down my spine know the history that rolled down those runways 50 years prior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the cooler experiences of my life was operating a flight from Narita to Saipan. Our approach to landing took us right over Tinian and the north field complex. I could clearly see the runways and the bomb loading pits. It was easy to imagine the hustle and bustle and overall urgency of operations that occurred there 70 years prior. To see it in its entirety first hand was pretty amazing.
I got to drive down those runways in 95. Sent chills down my spine know the history that rolled down those runways 50 years prior.
Damn. That would've been cool. I'd give anything to get my pic in a bomb pit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MADE IN AMERICA

tested in japan

KAPOOYA

KAPOOYA

It was Riotous.

Perhaps we are getting too far afield, but:

- every August 6th, a wretched cabal of leftists, anti-Americans, hippies, peace-nics, and many in Japan, wail and gnash their rotten teeth over our bombing of Hiroshima.

And every year, I wish some legislator would respond by demanding additional war reparations from Japan to fully cover the entire cost of the Manhatten project.

Maybe this year President Trump will finally come through for us?

Sorry, not sorry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Actually that give me an idea:

- designate August 6th "Hiroshima Day" and celebrate it with loud fireworks & glow sticks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Great pics. Thanks for posting OP.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb is the best work of non-fiction I've ever read.  His Dark Sun (hydrogen bomb) is also very good, but, the espionage it covers is very upsetting.
View Quote
Thanks.  Just put this in my Audible.com cart and will buy it with my next credit.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Added the 2nd book to my list.  The "Manhattan Project" was just a few cents for the kindle version.  Downloading now.

Thanks. :)
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top