Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2014 2:31:13 AM EDT
Interstate Hwy system can't raise enough money even with 18.4 cents per gallon in federal fuel taxes to fix itself so now the regime is proposing allowing states to turn Interstates into toll roads.

Can't make link hot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/white-house-opens-door-to-tolls-on-interstate-highways-removing-long-standing-prohibition/2014/04/29/5d2b9f30-cfac-11e3-b812-0c92213941f4_story.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
FBHO
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
so forcing higher mpg  thus lowering the tax revenue you use for the roads was a bad idea?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was state money to pay for maintenance anyways.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so forcing higher mpg  thus lowering the tax revenue you use for the roads was a bad idea?
View Quote

2+2=4, but not for the people in our Federal Government.

Before it's all said and done, you will be taxed by the miles you drive + pay the fuel tax.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Might be time to invest in some land on those old 'pre-interstate' highways.  I know I'd go back to using them if they turn the interstates into toll roads.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
alex jones was saying this would happen 5-7 years ago.  i guess i get my wish to see a conspiracy guy get one right.

fucking obama...
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The capitolist side of me says this is not a bad thing IF the state buys the interstate system and privitizes it so the .fedgov is hands off forever.

I have limited experience though with toll roads here in Florida-most of the time I usually avoid them. Those who use them often have this tracking device on their vehicles connected to their bank account. (yeah, that's a great idea) And every toll booth you go through has like a million cameras and sensors to check you out......the plot thickens.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Now all of a sudden they're interested in turning federal property over to the states?

I guess since it's losing money that makes it ok. If Shitty Harry could make a buck off it they'd keep it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought it was state money to pay for maintenance anyways.
View Quote

IIRC the interstate system was originally set up under the defense department to transport troops and equipment as rapidly as possible from point A to B in the event of WWIII with the communists.

"But while we were building the interstate system, the communists were running for office"......
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The ones that get me are the "Parkway" connector roads. They are usually built on the premise to connect Road A to Road B to help with local traffic when all they really do is open up more land for development.

They are usually built with a attendant "temporary" increase in local taxes that never goes away. IMHO those roads should be made toll roads from the get-go.

Free roads for developers is all they amount to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, we can't have global warming, can we?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#13]
That's what happens when you divert money for decades on end.  Both parties.  This isn't an Obama issue specifically.  Lower fuel sales will not help though.  That's not the root issue.  The infrastructure of America has been ignored for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's more insidious than that.

My career was in public transportation-the True Believers-don't want you on the road. They don't want you to have the freedom to travel unless they allow it and schedule it and provide the transportation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
How else is the government going to fund all of the "free" shit without coming up with clever new tax schemes?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Nothing to do with money, everything to do with tracking.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure cars are getting more efficient, but aren't there a lot more of them?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Toll roads suck. Every time I visit Ohio, I have to take half a dozen different expressways through Chicago to avoid the tolls. Pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Might be time to invest in some land on those old 'pre-interstate' highways.  I know I'd go back to using them if they turn the interstates into toll roads.

View Quote

That is an excellent idea. Lots of old motels, restaurants, and truck stops waiting to be rehabbed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

How? If they wanted to read plates or something couldn't they just put up cameras and say it was to monitor flow, or get a count of cars using the road?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#22]
This is just another attempt by the Democrats to destroy the auto-mobile.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Before it's all said and done, you will be taxed by the miles you drive + pay the fuel tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very likely, which also means that they will force all vehicles, including older ones, to retrofit with tracking devices that involuntarily upload your driving information.  If anyone believes that they'll only collect the raw miles traveled, then they don't understand the convergence of government and technology.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#24]
And how much is it going to cost to set up all those toll booths at every on ramp and off ramp? All those new government employees with their high pay for low skill jobs with nice health benefits and retirement packages. They will probably be unionized too. Now we will get to wait in line to get on the highway and wait again to get off. Great idea.

Don't forget too, that since they will have a time stamp from when you get on the highway and again when you get off the highway they will be bale to calculate your average speed from point A to point B and will most certainly issue speeding tickets through the mail for those that are calculated to have exceeded the speed limit. They do that in New York state on the Thruway. Don't think it won't happen in your state.    

How much of the gas tax monies have these idiot politicians diverted to bike paths and and green ways while letting the highway system crumble. Then they required higher fuel efficiency vehicles so the gas tax revenue would drop.

That's government in a nutshell for you. Finding a crisis they propose a solution for. A solution that typically benefits their campaign contributors, but in the end creates more problems down the road that could have easily been foreseen. What do they care though? By the time it comes to a head they are out of office and living fat of a tax payer provided pension and all those kick backs from their cronies.

They'll even have the audacity to name these highways after themselves for voting to do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The ones that get me are the "Parkway" connector roads. They are usually built on the premise to connect Road A to Road B to help with local traffic when all they really do is open up more land for development.

They are usually built with a attendant "temporary" increase in local taxes that never goes away. IMHO those roads should be made toll roads from the get-go.

View Quote

Don't ever believe that a government  tax or fee or toll is temporary.

When the Mackinac Bridge was built by the State of Michigan in the late 1950s to connect the state's two peninsulas, the bridge toll was supposed to be temporary, in place until the construction bonds were paid off.  Guess what?  The tolls are not only still there, but have been increased multiple times.  A politician never voluntarily gives up a revenue stream, because money coming into the government is money that they can control to buy votes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And how much is it going to cost to set up all those toll booths at every on ramp and off ramp? All those new government employees with their high pay for low skill jobs with nice health benefits and retirement packages. They will probably be unionized too. Now we will get to wait in line to get on the highway and wait again to get off. Great idea.

Don't forget too, that since they will have a time stamp from when you get on the highway and again when you get off the highway they will be bale to calculate your average speed from point A to point B and will most certainly issue speeding tickets through the mail for those that are calculated to have exceeded the speed limit. They do that in New York state on the Thruway. Don't think it won't happen in your state.    

How much of the gas tax monies have these idiot politicians diverted to bike paths and and green ways while letting the highway system crumble. Then they required higher fuel efficiency vehicles so the gas tax revenue would drop.

That's government in a nutshell for you. Finding a crisis they propose a solution for. A solution that typically benefits their campaign contributors, but in the end creates more problems down the road that could have easily been foreseen. What do they care though? By the time it comes to a head they are out of office and living fat of a tax payer provided pension and all those kick backs from their cronies.

They'll even have the audacity to name these highways after themselves for voting to do it.
View Quote

This post has me so pissed I can't see straight. Not because its BS but because it isn't. I need a drink.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Fuck all that noise, here in TX we are way ahead of the road road ass fuckings and let me tell you how it really goes down; you get triple taxed.  
Tax one: gas taxes to originally build the road, than the road is converted to a toll road.
Tax two: tolls on the toll road, always more expensive than they originally state it will cost, so less people use the toll road resulting in...
Tax three: because the toll road is bringing in less revenue than planned the state is obliged to purchase back from the private company is was "sold" to so now we get taxed again to buy it back.

The only ones who profit are the corrupt bureaucrats and toll road companies, both which have nothing but tax payer skin in the game.

This shit has got to stop.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#28]
It's happening elsewhere.  Public assets like parks, islands (think Greece), etc. are sold at bargain basement prices to FOGs (friends of government) and then the public, who has paid for it already, are charged fees for their use.  It's the IMF business model.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#29]
State tourism boards better pay attention to this as well.

Toll roads kill economies in tourist destinations.

And Really, I want to pay to drive across Montana or Wyoming.....(two of the most beautiful states God ever created.....just sayin).
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#30]
so they are trying to fund the upkeep of roads with $150 billion new taxes while spending over a trillion dollars a year by printing money.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone who travelled I-95 in Connecticut on a regular basis in the 1970s learned how to bypass the toll booths from NY to RI, AND THE TOLL WAS JUST A QUARTER!
They got rid of them because long lines of idling vehicles were polluting while waiting.
These days with EZ-PASS, I guess the powers that be think the sheeple will sleep...
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't really like interstates. I much prefer driving on the state highways, and my car gets better mileage too, just adds a little more time.

But I don't want the 4 lane to go to a toll, it will put more idiots on my route to work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#33]
How about cut the FSA handouts?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Most Toll Roads in the US use camera readers to collect license numbers in addition to the toll tags on your windshield.  By doing this they can completely automate the toll roads and eliminate toll booths and operators completely.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Pay taxes to commute to work so you can pay taxes to pay for people who are to lazy/incompetent to provide for themselves and their families. What a perfect system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Tinfoil time. They can track your movements by your I-Pass hits.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#37]
You know, it seems as though the more corrupt and illegitimate government gets, the harder it is to pay for stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#38]
CO DOT tried to backdoor a 50 year deal with Chase Bank (IIRC) to make an established public highway a toll road.

They got found out, and are now trying to figure out what to do, but if they hadn't gotten caught with their hands in the cookie jar......well.....

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25121913/us-highway-36-finance-deal-get-public-airing
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How? If they wanted to read plates or something couldn't they just put up cameras and say it was to monitor flow, or get a count of cars using the road?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition to plate readers, I'm sure those 'wifi white boxes' will be hung as well; why just track the car when you can track the passengers?

The government doesn't really care about money; they just make more, damn the consequences. I don't believe for a second that they are going to setup a national infrastructure of checkpoints toll stations for our pocket change.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd be ok if all roads were toll roads, if....

1. All taxes on gas, federal and state were eliminated.

2. The dollar amount of taxes on auto sales, property taxes on autos, and property taxes on the home that goes to the road funds is dropped.

3. The roads are privatized, or state run, and there be a cash solution available for paying the toll at the toll booth, with no tracking of vehicles for cash customers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#41]
That'll solve all our problems. Charge more!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Cool

Then they'll drop the gas taxes!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Most Toll Roads in the US use camera readers to collect license numbers in addition to the toll tags on your windshield.  By doing this they can completely automate the toll roads and eliminate toll booths and operators completely.
View Quote

Sure they could, but do you think they would make it that easy?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Peak Highways!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When the Mackinac Bridge was built by the State of Michigan in the late 1950s to connect the state's two peninsulas, the bridge toll was supposed to be temporary, in place until the construction bonds were paid off.  Guess what?  The tolls are not only still there, but have been increased multiple times.  A politician never voluntarily gives up a revenue stream, because money coming into the government is money that they can control to buy votes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only place I know of that actually removed them was Connecticut with the I-95 tolls. And they were a fucking nightmare when they were there. This is not about tracking. As already noted, that's easy enough to accomplish under the guise of a study. Given the dishonest nature of government in all its forms here, I'd expect them to just do it illegally and deny it when they got caught.

This is about money. I don't know what percentage of federal and state highway taxes actually get spent on roads. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's over sixty percent. If they want to spend more money on highways, IMO they should clean up their act and use that money first.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In addition to plate readers, I'm sure those 'wifi white boxes' will be hung as well; why just track the car when you can track the passengers?

The government doesn't really care about money; they just make more, damn the consequences. I don't believe for a second that they are going to setup a national infrastructure of checkpoints toll stations for our pocket change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will also create a large bureaucracy of taxpayer funded government drones. The toll collectors at the George Washington Bridge worked two hours on and two hours off. I don't blame them. You suck exhaust fumes for two hours and see how you feel.

But, that means lots of new employees whose livelihood is connected to having more government. Vote early and vote often.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah if they actually used that shit for the roads only
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#48]
tax everything
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are already allowed to put tolls on those... don't know why there aren't more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I always preferred the scenic state highways to the crowded interstates.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top