Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2024 8:06:16 AM EDT
Shares of Intuitive Machines slumped 35% on Monday after the space exploration firm said communications with its Odysseus moon lander, which had fallen onto its side, are expected to cease on Tuesday.

In an update on the status of the mission, the company said that flight controllers will continue to communicate with Odysseus until Tuesday morning, which will effectively cut short its mission five days after touchdown.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/business/intuitive-machines-shares-plummet-after-odysseus-moon-lander-tips-over/
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Got to signal how woke we are by attaching pointless weights to the side of our perfectly balanced lunar lander.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Based on every country’s results with unmanned craft, it’s abundantly clear:

1. Humans are needed to actually land with a success rate above 20 percent

2. We never landed in the 60’s and we just can’t figure out how to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is NASA farmed this whole operation out for like $500 million (making this number up but it's not far off)

The moonlanding took something like (again making this up) 2% of our entire GDP at the time.

This failure does not mean what you think it does.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My understanding is NASA farmed this whole operation out for like $500 million (making this number up but it's not far off)

The moonlanding took something like (again making this up) 2% of our entire GDP at the time.

View Quote

$125m for this lander.

Apollo was closer to 3% of our gdp ($250+ billion)

Space tech is hard, especially when you don't have an infinite budget. Nasa has not sent a lander since the 60s and still haven't. This was not a nasa project.

They now have some more photos from the landing, it stayed upright for about 35 seconds but still fell over. You have to kill all momentum before you land, and they had lateral movement of just 2-3mph which was enough to tip it over.

Furthermore, the psople who watch TV and say this is a failure are doing the same as those who watch TV and spout off that guns are the #1 cause of problems in the world... Trash in trash out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does mean we’re already littering the lunar surface with Jeff Koons’ garbage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't know it fell over.

Nor do I really care, but it is a little interesting that it did fall over.

The excellence that was once this great country, has been abandoned for wokeism and diversity, after all, diversity is our strength, strength to do what is the question.  I am sure the company that designed and launched this unmanned probe that didn't land in a usable attitude on the surface of the moon had solid diversity stats for it's employees and management. A company must have it's priorities in order, so it has that going for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
In this thread the rocket surgeons with massive stock market knowledge and experience will tell us what when wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Thems the breaks
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
So in all of their “what if” scenarios, up righting itself wasn’t
modeled in?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
One milestone in landing vertical - NO HORIZONTAL VELOCITY.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of engineer doesn't plan for every potential issue?
It tipped over?  Fire everyone working on that project.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In this thread the rocket surgeons with massive stock market knowledge and experience will tell us what when wrong.
View Quote

Here's my modest proposal for a lander design that doesn't tip over.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume that's even more important with 1/6 earth's  gravity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#17]
So does this company have the right connections to stay afloat and keep trying? I might buy a couple hundred shares if the price dips back to $2-3 and they'll be funded for more missions
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Odysseus had to take an extra orbit to give controllers time to make a perfect landing near the Moon’s south pole due to a laser-guided range finder in-flight malfunction. The laser safety switch, which can only be disabled manually, was not unlocked by company engineers before launch, which resulted in the malfunction being discovered hours before landing.

According to Hansen, the company is still investigating whether an ad-libbed navigation solution used by a NASA-supplied experimental system on the lander caused the spacecraft to land sideways. As stated by the company, Odysseus encountered uneven ground on the lunar surface and tipped over, apparently propped up on a boulder.

As a result, its solar panels received less sunlight and its antennae were pointed towards the surface of the moon, which caused some communications to be blocked.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Shoulda been designed with a wider stance and lower center of gravity, maybe. And off-road casters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/1000007108_jpg-3142803.JPG
View Quote

Odds are the soft ass engineers that designed this thing never threw a punch at one of those (or anything else).
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Odds are the soft ass engineers that designed this thing never threw a punch at one of those (or anything else).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/1000007108_jpg-3142803.JPG

In Kerbal, I just make the landing legs double extra wide.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
The PRC moon police got to it.

Sounds like more than one person screwed up.  Any publicity is good publicity. I bet they more than make up that 35% today.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#23]
We should already know how to land on the moon, considering we've done it already. This shouldn't be that hard. We have all these technological advancements, AI, and whatnot, and yet a bunch of chain smoking dudes in short sleeve button downs with slide rules figured out how to throw people up there 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any Rocket surgeons who sold their stock Friday who worked there before the public announcement are going to learn what the SEC is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So does this company have the right connections to stay afloat and keep trying? I might buy a couple hundred shares if the price dips back to $2-3 and they'll be funded for more missions
View Quote

I don't care about the lander but this was my only thought reading the related articles.

Unfortunately, their stock chart shows (IMO) a normal pump and dump for now anyways. Declining share price over the last year into news last week of going to the moon which pumped the stock ~4x average.

Now we're at 2x average and still dropping. Looks like a complete gamble. News of next lander soon could cause a bull bounceback . . . who knows. They are holding one of the few NASA contracts for dropping "payloads" on the moon's surface so I'm sure that alone is worth something although two of the other 8 approved vendors have basically gone bankrupt (OrbitBeyond and Masten).

Reminds me of the other upstarts in tech (arfcom's favorite MVIS certainly being one), nothing for awhile, news promoting pump, the thing never pans out, promises of stuff working out which never do, then share price fades back into obscurity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Send Elon and The Donald up there to stand the stupid thing back up...

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The entire race to the moon cost the US $25 billion dollars.  By 1971 those dollars had returned $52 billion in economic growth to the US alone and continues to benefit us today.  NASA is the only federal program that can claim such a benefit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What kind of engineer doesn't plan for every potential issue?
It tipped over?  Fire everyone working on that project.  
View Quote

Most modern engineers are extremely bad at predicting potential issues, and those who are get treated poorly because they're just "negative Nancies who don't have faith in the team."
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

$125m for this lander.

Apollo was closer to 3% of our gdp ($250+ billion)

Space tech is hard, especially when you don't have an infinite budget. Nasa has not sent a lander since the 60s and still haven't. This was not a nasa project.

They now have some more photos from the landing, it stayed upright for about 35 seconds but still fell over. You have to kill all momentum before you land, and they had lateral movement of just 2-3mph which was enough to tip it over.

Furthermore, the psople who watch TV and say this is a failure are doing the same as those who watch TV and spout off that guns are the #1 cause of problems in the world... Trash in trash out.
View Quote
Yeah, but that is a bit deceiving.  For the first moon landing, it was starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#30]
That was an expensive tip.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I can’t wait until Elon send up for shits and giggles and sticks the landing on the first try
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We should already know how to land on the moon, considering we've done it already. This shouldn't be that hard. We have all these technological advancements, AI, and whatnot, and yet a bunch of chain smoking dudes in short sleeve button downs with slide rules figured out how to throw people up there 50 years ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#33]
did solar wind blow it over?

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Super small float. Great options trade potential.

It's interesting because the financials haven't changed one bit if the lander is horizontal or vertical. Thinking about buying some today for funsies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The laser safety switch, which can only be disabled manually, was not unlocked by company engineers before launch, which resulted in the malfunction being discovered hours before landing.
View Quote

Oh for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I dont understand why no one is talking about the fucking aliens!  Their punk kids are lander TIPPING!  Our, the Japanese one.  THis menace needs to be stopped!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Didn’t know it fell over. That’s shitty lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The laser safety switch, which can only be disabled manually, was not unlocked by company engineers before launch, which resulted in the malfunction being discovered hours before landing.

Oh for fucks sake.

I’d have loved to been a fly on the wall for that information reveal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
did solar wind blow it over?

View Quote

Moon cat tipped it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Shoulda been designed with a wider stance and lower center of gravity, maybe. And off-road casters.
View Quote

That’s my thoughts. Something that bites into the ground with enough shock absorption to prevent damage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Whoops.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.

LOL... I don't know what to say.  You BOTH included a manual disable for the laser AND did not checklist it or triple check it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Been watching the stock. Ill get some when/ hits around $4.00.

Failures lead to success.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I've fallen, and I can't get up!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake.

But the feminine penis of the person that was supposed to flip the switch while it was still on earth is beautiful and that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

3. It was tipped over.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Driving across the country is easier than driving a radio-control car across the country?  Yeah that's wild
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top