Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
<------

Carries a J-frame .38 Spl., all day, every day, close to twenty years now.
For self defense.
Yeah, it's still a viable choice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For the non reloaders, weren't full power wadcutters popular years ago ?    Are they available these days?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Colt Cobra snub nose revolver, not supposed to run +p ammo in it.  That leaves me with plain .38 jhp ammo if I want to use this revolver as a concealed carry gun.

I use wad cutters in my snubbie.

For the non reloaders, weren't full power wadcutters popular years ago ?    Are they available these days?

The .38spl.+P 158-grain LSWC-HP was the classic "FBI load" for years adopted by many big city PDs. I purchased several cases of Federal "38G" for next to nothing (like $2/box) in the early 90s as police departments had largely switched over to 9x19mm and dumped inventory on the surplus market. I still have a few boxes left. I believe it is still commercially loaded.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
buffaloebore
View Quote

I'd carry the hard cast full wadcutter load instead, as it it a deep penetrator and not dependent on velocity or thick clothing to expand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

135 grain Speer GDHP short barrel,
View Quote

That's a +P load; OP wants standard pressure.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope, people developed an immunity to it after 9mm took over
View Quote

Well, people are a lot fatter than they used to be.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The part about it not making sense to choose a snub.  Millions of people prove you wrong every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you are limited to pocket carry, yes. If you have the option to wear something IWB, it doesn't make sense to choose a snub over a sub/compact frame semi.

Until you actually Attempt to use that postage stamp sized semi to save your ass.

So what is wrong about what I said?

The part about it not making sense to choose a snub.  Millions of people prove you wrong every day.

I absolutely hated my snub.
It was a Smith model 37 Air Weight.
The recoil was terrible and I just could not shoot it worth a damn.
I am far more comfortable and accurate with my LCP.
As far as compact 9's go both my PM9 and LC9'S are easier to shoot than my LCP and are more accurate,at least for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a S&W 642 in my right front pocket every day, regardless of what else I am carrying. Presently it is stoked with Winchester PDX1 130 grain +P rounds. My wife has a Colt Police Positive in her nightstand with the same rounds. Don't shoot 1000 rounds of +P's out of your Cobra, but a dozen rounds and then carrying them for self defense won't hurt a damned thing.

I have never shot a human with .38 +P's, but I have terminated a bunch of raccoons, opossums, porcupines, and coyotes with them. I finished 3 roadside vehicle hit deer with them. I feel confident with them.

Shooting beyond 10 yards? It aint the round.....it's the handgun design. Snubbies are close range guns, period.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The critical defense round is.  As are some others.  

.38 isn't the best but bullet tech has made it acceptable.

Revolvers have their niche.  I carry a Scandium in an ankle holster sometimes and it was a backup when I was on the job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a spent round.  Doesn't kill any more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like wadcutters in a .38 snubby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Colt Cobra snub nose revolver, not supposed to run +p ammo in it.  That leaves me with plain .38 jhp ammo if I want to use this revolver as a concealed carry gun.

Yep.

I like carrying my scandium j-frame in hot weather, where it's harder to conceal something bigger. It's going to function, even wet w sweat & dirt stuck to it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A .38 wadcutter will shoot thru both doors if a Dodge pickup.  I don't think clothes will be a problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For non +P you may have something. I remember a case where a guy had someone shoot him with a 38 for some sort of scam or to blame someone else.

He reasoned to use a wadcutter target load so it wouldn't hurt him too bad. Killed him deader than shit. Recovered bullet was .70+

The original Hydroshock before it has made by Federal was nothing but a HBWC turned backwards with a post in the middle.

I think these would do OK in warm weather but may have trouble with heavy clothes.

A .38 wadcutter will shoot thru both doors if a Dodge pickup.  I don't think clothes will be a problem

Or .38 semi wadcutter hollow point to prevent over penetration.  Pure lead +P load out of a stub nose will get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not that .38 isn't a viable round--it's that most guns chambered in it are outdated and less than ideal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Plenty of good rounds for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't usually carry a .38 but during the worst of the Texas summer I have been known to drop my Cobra into my shorts pocket instead of my usual IWB carry gun.

I use the old "Chief's Special" Nyclad rounds.   Rumor has it that Federal was going to start making these again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Meh, that's my opinion of .38spc. It's going to most likely come out of a snubit nose. In most cases it's not much better IMO than .380auto. I'd conced it's probably insignificantly better but given the size a day weight difference of a snub nose revolver to something like the Roger LCP, I'll take the LCP every time.

Don't even get me started on .357mag out of a snub nose, it's just silly. I'd rather have a 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, but as long as he isn't practicing with it he will be fine. It is the best performing 38 special round on the market today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope so, since I just got one.

It can shoot a light, high velocity round or a slow, heavy round without issues. Heck it can do them both in the same cylinder and won't jam or fail to cycle because of inconsistent pressure curves like a semi will. Pretty much the same power range as 9mm plus extra room on both ends of the power spectrum (100gr to 180gr bullets at wildly variable velocities).
View Quote

It's can still jam, lint, dirt and other common pocket debris can lock up the action worse than a semi. At least with a semi it can likely be cleared faster. That's not to say they're unreliable. It's just a myth that revolvers are like the most reliable hand gun ever.

ETA: now if you were talking about 3-5" barreled .38spc. Then yes there is a notable improvement over .380auto pocket rockets. Still I'd rather have a .380 with more capacity though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Did .38's stop making holes in people recently?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd carry the hard cast full wadcutter load instead, as it it a deep penetrator and not dependent on velocity or thick clothing to expand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
buffaloebore

If I could shoot a revolver double action worth a crap, I would too. lol

Honestly, I used to shoot a lot with both revolvers and semi autos, but about 15 years ago I went pretty much all semi. Last revolver I had was a 2" 38spc. My ex wife bought the last .357 mdl they had at that store in the same gun, so I got stuck.

I carried it, but couldn't hit except single action mode. Her, dead nuts accurate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It's can still jam, lint, dirt and other common pocket debris can lock up the action worse than a semi. At least with a semi it can likely be cleared faster. That's not to say they're unreliable. It's just a myth that revolvers are like the most reliable hand gun ever.

ETA: now if you were talking about 3-5" barreled .38spc. Then yes there is a notable improvement over .380auto pocket rockets. Still I'd rather have a .380 with more capacity though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope so, since I just got one.

It can shoot a light, high velocity round or a slow, heavy round without issues. Heck it can do them both in the same cylinder and won't jam or fail to cycle because of inconsistent pressure curves like a semi will. Pretty much the same power range as 9mm plus extra room on both ends of the power spectrum (100gr to 180gr bullets at wildly variable velocities).

It won't jam due to pressure curves from ammo on the far light or heavy ends of the spectrum like a semi will. I'm well aware that a revolver can jam.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I know, but as long as he isn't practicing with it he will be fine. It is the best performing 38 special round on the market today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

This, we tested it on a block of gel, and it works damn good out of a snubnose.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Shoot yourself with it and get back to us.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
158 grain Semi Wad cutter HP, AKA FBI load.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

.38 still does the same damage to a person that it did in the 70's, so why wouldn't it be viable?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love that .gif more than I probably should.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it goes pew pew right?

Like this?

http://img.pandawhale.com/136625-pew-pew-pew-gif-giphy-kZNY.gif

I love that .gif more than I probably should.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Inverted wadcutters have ALWAYS been a good .38 Special load.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 642 that's loaded with GD 135+p.

Recently got wifes grandfathers duty weapon a colt detective. Its not +p rated been wondering what would be a good load for SD  use.

Comparing the two the Colts cylinder is a bit shorter it seems compared to the S&W 642.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.vangargoyle.com/guns/not-pc.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/ReverseHBWC1.jpg
View Quote

Those rounds look like they dump all its energy with 0 over penetration

Dont suppose you can buy factory ammo like that. More of a roll your own...need to get in to reloading one of these days
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Since you don't want to use +P I would go with 148gr wadcutter. For the reload I would pick something with a nose to aid in making it easier to get them into the cylinder under stress.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

would you want to get shot by it?

View Quote
This, this is the dumbest argument that can ever be made about terminal ballistics and stopping threats period. Anyone who says this should immediately regret it even jokingly.

It's not about getting shot by stuff, it's about stopping threats.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I have a .38 super. Not the same as .38  special.

The round I use is a plus P hollow point for carry.

It's difficult to find ammo. So I keep a hefty stock of it.

It has some stopping power.
View Quote

.38 super has nothing to do with .38 special, it's literally the exact opposite thing, a high pressure high velocity round found mostly in semi auto's, not a low pressure low velocity round found in revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1

I think .357 was a marketing gimmick to make people buy more pistols and more expensive ammo. 38 Special is deadly as most other things, and claims about shooting a suspect such and such times, and not going down. I take those stupid "fish" stories with a grain of salt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When did it stop being so?

+1

I think .357 was a marketing gimmick to make people buy more pistols and more expensive ammo. 38 Special is deadly as most other things, and claims about shooting a suspect such and such times, and not going down. I take those stupid "fish" stories with a grain of salt.

Not the case.

.357 was created as a competitor to .38 super/ .38 Automatic as it was found during the prohibition era that the .38 Browning designed Colt guns and ammo were killing the shit out of badguys and punching through heavy gauge car bodies and period bulletproof vests.

Stories of suspects being shot a bunch of times and not going down with .38 special are plentiful, verifiable, and supported by the finding s in the FBI handgun wounding factors.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://www.vangargoyle.com/guns/not-pc.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/ReverseHBWC1.jpg
View Quote

This is what you seek OP. 158 grain lead inverted wad cutters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not the case.

.357 was created as a competitor to .38 super/ .38 Automatic as it was found during the prohibition era that the .38 Browning designed Colt guns and ammo were killing the shit out of badguys and punching through heavy gauge car bodies and period bulletproof vests.

Stories of suspects being shot a bunch of times and not going down with .38 special are plentiful, verifiable, and supported by the finding s in the FBI handgun wounding factors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Not the case.

Jacketed hand gun bullets and smokeless powder were a new thing to most. The standard .38 load at the time was round nosed and made of soft lead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Beats standing there with just your dick in your hands.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#37]
As a sheriff friend of mine once said, "If you don't think it is a viable self defense caliber, let me shoot you in the face with it and see what you think then".
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Jacketed hand gun bullets and smokeless powder were a new thing to most. The standard .38 load at the time was round nosed and made of soft lead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the case.

The time period I'm talking about runs well into the 1990's.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

To be fair what most people do rarely makes any sense. Most people buy a snub nosed revolver because they think it will be easy to shoot which cannot be further from the truth.

I have been carrying a LCP while at work this summer and I have found that I am far more proficient with it than my LCR. I realized it the first time I took my LCP to the range and I have owned my LCR for over 5 years. I will trust being able to quickly put 7 holes in a small group at 7 yards over a more powerful cartridge.

When it cools off I will be packing a single stack 9mm.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you are limited to pocket carry, yes. If you have the option to wear something IWB, it doesn't make sense to choose a snub over a sub/compact frame semi.

Until you actually Attempt to use that postage stamp sized semi to save your ass.

To be fair what most people do rarely makes any sense. Most people buy a snub nosed revolver because they think it will be easy to shoot which cannot be further from the truth.

I have been carrying a LCP while at work this summer and I have found that I am far more proficient with it than my LCR. I realized it the first time I took my LCP to the range and I have owned my LCR for over 5 years. I will trust being able to quickly put 7 holes in a small group at 7 yards over a more powerful cartridge.

When it cools off I will be packing a single stack 9mm.  

I carry a 342 with +p loads. Doesn't do a thing to me. But I grew up shooting wheel guns and the J-Frame was my favorite. Carried one as a BUG at work for six years. I love stacking the trigger. I can shoot it as if it was a cocked single action.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It is a gimic in J-Frames. In full size service guns. There is a difference.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal Champion 148 gr wadcutters in fact was my choice for the Charter Undercover and 642

I also had the GDJHP short barrel
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

As far as compact 9's go both my PM9 and LC9'S are easier to shoot than my LCP and are more accurate,at least for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im5 the opposite.... I find the LCP uncomfortable... I can shoot my scandium framed j frame all day.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Not the case.

LRN stories
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

not entirely a gimmick  it is the revolver equivalent of a M44 nagant, it has the add'd benefit of setting your target on fire......LOL
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the case.

Yeah, 6 rounds isn't enough ammo.

more holes is always better than fewer holes.

More ammo on tap means more chances to defeat barriers, connect a good hit, or miss a whole bunch of times and still land a shot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of bullets that are better than the old 158 grain LRN are now available.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#47]
It's still viable but limited to 5 rds..in a J frame. I carried a S&W Pre-36 with the hammer bobbed, miss it sometimes but then remember how I couldn't hit accurately beyond 10 feet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's still viable but limited to 5 rds..in a J frame. I carried a S&W Pre-36 with the hammer bobbed, miss it sometimes but then remember how I couldn't hit accurately beyond 10 feet.
View Quote

I have no trouble hitting a upper torso sized target at 35 yards with my 637 using my off hand.

That is why I like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
More ammo on tap means more chances to defeat barriers, connect a good hit, or miss a whole bunch of times and still land a shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of it's own ball of wax, I'm speaking strictly about the performance of .38 Special.

A lot of modern loads, even to this day, don't perform well in testing both in penetration and expansion, as well as consistency.  

Here's an interesting article, but more interesting is the data in the table at the bottom from a lab showing how some of the different ammo preforms from shot barrels.

Note how all over the map loads are for performance. Some have great penetration and expansion with one round, then not another. Some start lackluster. Some do OK with bare gel but clog on clothed gel and act more like FMJ win minimal or no expansion.

the results from that testing reflect a LOT of other testing as well and work to support the research of .38 special being an inconsistent handgun round for stopping people.

I'll carry damn near anything that will chamber and not be too worried about it with faster velocity ammo, but IMHO ammo selection for small frame .38's is really, really important with the limited capacity as mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I would say it is, I mean I would feel safe with a 38 in my night stand or on my side if somebody was to approach me, a 125gr HP in your boiler room will take a lot of aggression out of a person.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top