Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2016 1:42:29 AM EDT
Is it better then the peoples republic of maryland and the place that no one actually wants to live new jersey?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
PA can be a great place to live if you pick the right area. Also, the gun laws are pretty good. I grew up there. What areas are you looking at?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I've always thought highly of Pennsylvania.  Seems like a solid state to me
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I like it here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I was just looking for some place preferably away from everything near mountains
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was just looking for some place preferably away from everything near mountains
View Quote
Kansas is the land you seek.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I love it here and would never move back to MD.   Avoid the cities like Harrisburg and Philly, but areas that are near them (at least in the case of Harrisburg) are not affected by the urban stupidity.  A lot of jobs up here too
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was just looking for some place preferably away from everything. Near mountains.
View Quote

Is this what you mean?

If you don't like mountains, PA is not the place for you.

That said, as many have said before, stay away from Philly and the 'burgh and you'll be fine.

Pennsyltucky a.k.a. the "T" is what you're probably looking for.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say yes
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:13:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Stay away from yellow and orange.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry Im tired but I do want to be near mountains and I know about philly as I live near a shitty city also KIllmington I mean Wilmington, Delaware
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it better then the peoples republic of maryland and the place that no one actually wants to live new jersey?
View Quote

Better than Maryland or DE or NJ, that's for sure.

Are you asking because you're moving there, or are you trying to find some place to move?     PA isn't somewhere I'd go if I had a choice   (yes, I've lived there).
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://pavisitorsnetwork.com/pastatemap/pafrontmap.jpg

View Quote

^ that.

The brown and red parts are especially nice, same with most of the green although there are places there that are best avoided as well.

I live in The Wilds, the brown colored section. It's basically all woods, hills, mountains, rivers, lakes, trails, caves and has orders of magnitude more woodland critters than people (the biggest town in the county is ~10k people) and instead of hearing rap at all hours of the day the hills are alive with the sound of gunfire (and the occasional helpful elk acting like an alarm clock) instead, so in other words: it's damn near perfect.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it here for the most part (Im in Upper Bucks).

For what you want, it really depends on how much money you have.  Around here you can find acreage that is secluded and away from prying eyes but it will cost you.

North central part of the state land is probably cheaper and contains what passes for mountains here.

Gun laws are pretty friendly.  For now...

It's really not a bad state as far as the east coast goes (and considering its proximity to NJ and NY)..only thing I don't like about it really are that the summers can just get oppressively hot and humid which isn't my thing at all.

All that said, unless you are moving here for family or a job, I am not sure why you would move here willingly if you want to be near mountains.  Mountains in PA are more like glorified hills.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong!

Stay away from major cities.

A whole lot of the yellow and orange is a great place to be. I know, I'm there in the yellow 40 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I chose the central Shenandoah valley of VA. Right to bear is in the state constitution FWIW, I can see the Blue Ridge from my porch, I can be back in the Philly area in 5 hrs if I need to. Grew up in NJ, just across the river.
I'm assuming you won't be bringing the DE liberal herpderp with you.
If you are, PA is a great choice
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I love Pa and don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a better place than the state you call home now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Compared to where you are now.......Yes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I love living here.  I'm in central PA.  Everything in the state is about 3 hours or less away.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Strongly disagree with your assessment of the yellow sector. Allegheny Co, sure, but everything else in that sector is GTG.

Although, Fayette Co might be a no-go if only for the long standing joke that its populace makes up for a disproportionate amount of f.cked up news headlines.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious as to why?  My ex's mother side of the family live in the Hookstown area in Beaver County. We'd go and visit once or twice a year. Beautiful country,folks always seemed friendly enough. Get off the main highways though and the roads seemed a little sketchy. Barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass.The locals, drove them like like they were on the interstate. Nothing like topping a hill and somebody doing 70 crests the hill first and your only choice is to move to the shoulder where there's a pot hole big enough to dump a cow into.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Avoid the eastern entire quarter of the state and you should be ok.

Esecially the northeast portion. It's turned into a NY/NJ infested shithole over the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes Its a great place to live!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]

I went to college in PA.  Great state, just stay away from the biggest cities.  You will love it there compared to where you are now.  Weather is very nice, especially if you like to garden.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Never been to PA.

What are the winters like in some of those southern counties?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Pennsylvania.   All the craziness of Florida with none of the sun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I like western PA a lot better than eastern PA.

In any case, I'm guessing the gun laws are much better than where you are now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope, east side is liberal and west side of state is trashy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but PA doesn't have giant, flying cockroaches like FL does.

Oh, sorry - I forgot, you call them "Palmetto Bugs" (same thing).
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is PA a good place to move to??
View Quote

If you like a Democrat majority statue with a corrupt, stupid government, then have at it.  

Pennsylvania has backed the Democratic presidential candidate in every election since 1992.
View Quote

HARRISBURG — Democrats celebrated a clean sweep of three open seats on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, locking in a majority on the state's highest court for at least a decade that could help shape the legislative redistricting that will follow the 2020 census.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

So in other words, not much different than many parts of Ohio where you and I live?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#33]
just a little further west, and you have Ohio.
Central Ohio has a great cost of living, with good jobs, and a young demographic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#34]
It's not bad but the taxes are high.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Lived in Western PA for 25 years and can tell you its a good place to be. Cost of living is cheaper than most other areas of the country. Ive lived in Butler, Allegheny, and now Beaver county. Stay away from Allegheny county for sure. I love living in Beaver county. Its affordable and 5 min drive from my house Im pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

Gun laws are a lot better here, although its really big time fudd territory. The typical Yinzers you will meet know nothing about what they are talking about but know a guy who was a guy and bygone that means that they are pretty much the guy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's not bad but the taxes are high.
View Quote

This... and the judicial system is infamously corrupt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So in other words, not much different than many parts of Ohio where you and I live?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tru dat
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean this?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Certain Areas in the orange are the wealthiest and nicest in the state.  Tons of beautiful land, homes, and a relatively strong economy.  Sure, there are crappy parts but in general, Chester County, parts of Delaware County (particularly the Main Line), and Bucks County are beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Never been to PA.

What are the winters like in some of those southern counties?
View Quote

On the eastern side it is cold, average lows in the mid 20F and snow totals about 30" a season. Snowfall can be 12+inches per storm when coming up the coast and 24+ happen every few years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Before buying some land in WV, I searched Potter, Tioga and Lycoming Counties for a few years, lots of homes and acreage in those parts with small towns.
You could get lost in Potter County
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Delaware has been liberal for too long also yet only the Wilmington area and the rehomo areas are liberal from what I've seen all the middle is conservative...
Still wish pa had semi auto hunting but still better than here with just shotguns..it's become a breeding ground for fudds
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I lived in MD for a little while, very glad to be putting down roots in PA.

I'm in Berks right now, long term plan is to find a decent chunk of land around the Berks/Lancaster line.

Avoid the cities and you will do fine :) The bigger the city, the farther out you should be.

Jobs are tricky though in some areas. Make sure there are employers in your field in your target area.

Avoid Harrisburg like the plague, that city is getting bad in a real hurry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#44]
May I recommend coming a bit further west to Ohio?

State preemption for gun laws means no laws that exceed state restrictions, of which there aren't many. All your guns are welcome plus all the fun tax-stamp stuff.

Cleveland is back on the map and Columbus won't stop growing economically.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

State preemption for gun laws means no laws that exceed state restrictions, of which there aren't many. All your guns are welcome plus all the fun tax-stamp stuff.

View Quote

Now if we could just get some of those counties down there to stop sucking Barack and Hillary's dicks, then we would have a red state again, wouldn't we?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Now if we could just get some of those counties down there to stop sucking Barack and Hillary's dicks, then we would have a red state again, wouldn't we?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's any urban area, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
In the east coast/Mid Atlantic area, PA is the best state for gun folks to reside in.

I have 60 acres in Upper Bucks County and it's great.  I can be in NYC in about 1 1/2 hours, Phila in about 1h15 mins.  Full NFA freedom, Shall Issue CCW, Open Carry except in Phila without CCW.

Downside as said earlier is that we have recently passed highest gas tax, and property tax can be higher than average.

Compared to NJ/DE/MD, Pennsylvania is wonderful.  I've lived in Md and NJ in the past, and there's no way in Hell you could pay me to live in those 2 states again.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and unfortunately it only takes one heavily populated urban county to out-vote about 10 rural counties.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Im in lower bucks county and love it.

Im smack dab between Philly and Trenton, but theres plenty of farmland and woods around. Our property is fairly pricey so it keeps the riff raff out and local ordinances make it impossible to build on less that 3 acres.

1.5 hrs to the Poconos, 45min to 3hrs will get you to any point on the Jersey shore.

20 min from work and most major shopping, but still rural enough to need to watch the deer crossings when driving at night.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Pa is very diverse.  I live in the southeastern part of the state, centered between Harrisburg and Philadelphia.   Here its scattered towns/"small cities", like lancaster, york and lebanon.  Geographically its rolling hills and mostly  deciduous trees.  There are a lot of state game lands all over the place.  Travelling north/northwest takes you closer to the "mountains" which are really highlands.  Once there you find vast woodlands with very small town scattered here/there.  Great for hunting, camping, hiking.  In a month im going to ricketts glenn state park, where there are 22 waterfalls along walking trails.  The center of the state is really just open farmland and remains that way all the way to ohio with state college being the largest population center.  If you like snow theres Erie, which gets lake effect snow all winter.  The southern edge of the state is what i call the redneck belt.  Tractor pulls and demolition derbies are big draws on weekends.

But we have the susquehanna river, where you can go boating, fishing.

I live in lancaster, specifially in a small town Lititz.  Its beautiful here and within close proximity to so many things.  3 hrs from the ocean, 2 hrs from the Chesapeake bay, 3 hrs from the moutains, 2 hrs from philadelphia and baltimore.  Itnoffers a vast variety of things to do in an evenings drive.

Edit, and Pa does have bad roads.  Surprisingly the mountain roads are better than the "flatlander" roads.  PA has a lot of winding country roads, my dad called them concrete buggy trails because they actually wrap around houses in some cases.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top