BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only read the first and second page of this thread but did anyone mention the Insta Pot?

I gave my rice cooker away after cooking rice in my IP.  It does a lot more things and is one less item I need to store.
View Quote
I use them both at the same time.  Many IP dishes require rice as a side.  No way I could live without both, and I even bought a second IP because I often need to have two dishes going at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I am unapologetically resurrecting this thread. Fight me.

Here's the thing. While I'm primarily a carnivore, I really like me some fried rice. But the typical white rice I've been served my whole life? Not so much. Even the stuff I'd get served at Chinese restaurants. Now, however, as I'm getting on in years, I keep seeing that it's healthy and shit. And then I read this thread. SO....

I haz rice cooker. Just grabbed a cheap $20 Aroma from Walmart. 6 cup size.

I haz rice. 3 pounds of genuine Japanese rice from the oriental store. Short grain, unfortunately, since I didn't want to spend $12 on 5 pounds of jasmine that I might never eat when I can spend $3.75 and see if it's worth it to me personally to follow this path further. Guy assures me that what I got is good rice, and he's a long time acquaintance. It says Nishiki on the package. No idea whether that's a name brand or a type of rice.

I haz Chinese sausage.

I haz soy sauce

I haz fish sauce. Tiny little bottle of it, but there it is.

Now, what I need is recipes. Simple ones without a lot of varied vegetables. Vegetables are what food eats after all. Also, recipes that won't require me to spend a king's ransom on spices or specialty oils.

Also, a question. Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce is basically anchovy fish sauce, right? How stupid would it be to add a dash of that to rice?

It's just me here, so whatever I cook can do multiple meals.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A big advantage of a good rice cooker is that it's fire-and-forget for different types of rice. Regular, brown, sushi, glutinous, etc. Rice, water, push button. Perfectly cooked every time.
View Quote

Right on. White rice, brown rice, wild and white rice, it doesn't matter, it comes out perfect and will keep it warm all day. Bake a cake, rice pudding, make a meal or soup, heck you can even make perfect slow-cooked chili or beef stew in it. Going to a potluck, unplug it, and go. The lid locks down. Ours will easily hold more than a standard crock pot. Our's came with two pots, one for rice dishes and the other for everything else.

My Mom and wife almost invariably burned it when using a pot. Mom couldn't even make Uncle Ben's crap without a disaster. Because of that we rarely had rice growing up. It was such a mess when it boiled over too. It never happens with a rice cooker
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's the thing. While I'm primarily a carnivore, I really like me some fried rice. But the typical white rice I've been served my whole life? Not so much. Even the stuff I'd get served at Chinese restaurants. Now, however, as I'm getting on in years, I keep seeing that it's healthy and shit. And then I read this thread. SO....

I haz rice. 3 pounds of genuine Japanese rice from the oriental store. Short grain, unfortunately, since I didn't want to spend $12 on 5 pounds of jasmine that I might never eat when I can spend $3.75 and see if it's worth it to me personally to follow this path further. Guy assures me that what I got is good rice, and he's a long time acquaintance. It says Nishiki on the package. No idea whether that's a name brand or a type of rice.

I haz Chinese sausage.

I haz soy sauce

Now, what I need is recipes. Simple ones without a lot of varied vegetables. Vegetables are what food eats after all. Also, recipes that won't require me to spend a king's ransom on spices or specialty oils.

Also, a question. Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce is basically anchovy fish sauce, right? How stupid would it be to add a dash of that to rice?

View Quote
Worsestershire sauce is an OK substitute for fish sauce. It's easy to use too much fish sauce.

Make the rice the day before.

Cook meats and add a little oil, then add the veggies and soften them.  Add the egg and fry, then push all that to the side and add the rice.  Fry that a bit then mix.

I season with ginger powder, white pepper, and whatever else you like. (Garlic, onion, soy, fish, etc.) Garnish at the last second with sesame seeds if you want, but sesame oil is pretty essential for the flavor.  Toss a little bit (a few drops) in at the last second and mix it in.

If it's the red chinese sausage you are talking about that is a good start on flavor and you won't need to add a whole lot.  If doing the rice for breakfast double or triple the eggs. (So from two to four or six.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I haz Chinese sausage.

I haz soy sauce

View Quote

@TheOTHERmaninblack

You need....

Uncle Roger:   https://www.youtube.com/c/mrnigelng

Uncle Roger AMAZED by PERFECT EGG FRIED RICE (Chef Wang Gang)
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Worsestershire sauce is an OK substitute for fish sauce. It's easy to use too much fish sauce.

Cook meats and add a little oil, then add the veggies and soften them.  Add the egg and fry, then push all that to the side and add the rice.  Fry that a bit then mix.

I season with ginger powder, white pepper, and whatever else you like. (Garlic, onion, soy, fish, etc.) Garnish at the last second with sesame seeds if you want, but sesame oil is pretty essential for the flavor.  Toss a little bit (a few drops) in at the last second and mix it in.

If it's the red chinese sausage you are talking about that is a good start on flavor and you won't need to add a whole lot.  If doing the rice for breakfast double or triple the eggs. (So from two to four or six.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haz Chinese sausage.

I haz soy sauce

Very easy to add too much Worcestershire sauce, less easy to do so with fish sauce.  I love that stuff.  Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce is a little milder (and better IMO) than Filipino (at least the Filipino brands I can find… it’s possible that they make better stuff that I can’t get or isn’t exported).  There’s nothing wrong with tiparos, there are just better choices out there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haz Chinese sausage.

I haz soy sauce

View Quote

Worcestershire sauce is a LOT stronger than most Asian fish sauce.  I wouldn’t use it as a substitute, since I can get fish sauce at the grocery store that’s 5m from my house.

First thing you need to realize is that for most of Asia, fried rice is how you get rid of leftovers.  Often, even the rice is leftover (hint: yesterday’s slightly dried out rice makes the best fried rice).

Here is a rough approximation of the last fried rice I made:

I made rice yesterday, put it in a bowl, covered it with foil and left it in the ‘fridge overnight.

I love shrimp, but the amount I have (maybe 2/3 of a pound) isn’t more than a snack for the family.  Shell/head/devein the shrimp and roughly chop. Put in a bowl with a splash of soy sauce, a splash of fish sauce, and a splash of rice wine.  Let that shit sit in the fridge while I figure out what else I have to put in the rice.

Onions? Yep. Chop em fine (I just like it that way)

Garlic? Hell yeah. Chop that fine too.  Lots of it.

Fresh ginger? Yep.  Pulverize that shit, start with a piece about the size of my thumb.

Green onions?  Chop the green part, save for later.

It’s going to need some sauce… juice a lime, add some sriracha or chili paste, some fish sauce, and a little more soy sauce and give it a good stir.

What else? I have some leftover grilled chicken thighs.  Perfect. Take the meat off the bone and chop it up.  Leftover Taiwanese sausage?  Chop that up but be careful not to use too much… it can be overpowering.

Now let’s start cooking…

Wait, fried rice has eggs, but I don’t want big chunks of breakfast in my rice.  Beat a couple of eggs, dump em in the rice, and stir it up until every grain of rice is coated.

Ok, let’s get down to business:

Heat up the wok, add some oil, let it get hot.  Throw in some garlic and ginger (not all of it), let it get nice and fragrant.  Now throw the shrimp in and stir fry until just barely done.  Put in a bowl (a clean one, not the one you marinaded in, you savage).

Heat the wok back up, throw in a couple slices worth of chopped bacon (because everything is better with bacon). When the bacon is cooked, and the grease has rendered, add more garlic and ginger.  Enjoy the smell for a moment.  Add the onions and fry them. Then add the chicken and sausage.    Get everything warmed through.

Hmm… not enough oil to keep the rice from sticking… add a pat of butter, let it melt.  Dump the shrimp back in there.

Dump the rice in and start stirring.  Keep it from sticking to the wok.  Add some salt and pepper because I like it that way.

When the egg on the rice looks cooked, throw in the sauce and give it a good stir. Turn off the fire.

What the hell is that yammering from the other room?  It’s mrs TXRB saying it needs to be “healthy”.  Sigh.

Look in the freezer, grab a handful of frozen peas, throw them in, let the heat thaw them.  Bingo, now it’s healthy.

Throw in the green onions for extra green stuff. Now it’s extra healthy.

Ready to serve.

You can get as simple or as fancy as you like with fried rice.

It’s quick and easy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We use ours a lot.

Also good for cooking Chinese sausages.

Also can make great fluffy pancakes.

Etc.
View Quote

Throw the chinese sausage in to cook with the rice.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top