Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
World War I uniforms were dyed by bois d'arc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting

I wonder if they make good handles for shovels and axes and such.
@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, the Caddo used them to make bows.
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
What makes them good bow material, makes them not so good at impact tool handles.

The spring transmits the shock into your hands, imho.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't have to be knot free to make a bow.

Many boyers will use it, knots and all. Tillering it is a bit tricky though.

Hard as woodpecker lips!
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen people make wedges out of it. Whittle yourself a bow
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have some grips made out of Osage Orange. I like the trees. They’re tough, prolific and have an interesting history. Most of the fence rows with hedge trees in them that you see are approaching 100 years old. The green balls keep the kids entertained and are digested easily by the mower.

Bottom gun:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The tree has some uses as outlined above.

However, nobody mentioned the best part of the tree.  It was these fuckers and they hurt like a mofo in neighborhood fights.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Osage_orange_1.jpg
View Quote
Wait, those are Osage Oranges? We have some of those up here. Big ones every so often along a road shoulder.  Didn't even occur to me they might be Osage Orange because it's not their natural range, and who would ship that up here for fence posts when we have black locust all over the place?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
They are very popular markers for metes and bounds descriptions in old property surveys.  The wood is very resinous and lasts outdoors quite a while.

Also known as: osage orange, bodark, horseapple, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No habla Espanol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
World War I uniforms were dyed by bois d'arc.
View Quote
"The more you know"

That makes sense though.
It permanently stains my jeans anytime I mess with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What makes them good bow material, makes them not so good at impact tool handles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620

That is what I was wondering, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have some grips made out of Osage Orange. I like the trees. They’re tough, prolific and have an interesting history. Most of the fence rows with hedge trees in them that you see are approaching 100 years old. The green balls keep the kids entertained and are digested easily by the mower.

Bottom gun:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/154165/C0F812D5-012D-4470-B8AB-67BE45FB0684-421131.JPG
View Quote
Grips are an interesting idea. I see that in addition to being hard as fuck, bois d'arc wood is very dimensionally stable.

I wonder if people would pay a premium for grips made of "reclaimed" bois d'arc from old fenceposts and such?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It doesn't have to be knot free to make a bow.

Many boyers will use it, knots and all. Tillering it is a bit tricky though.

Hard as woodpecker lips!
View Quote
To be honest, I had to look up "tillering".
Then I was like "Oh, yea dumbass".

Not a term I have heard in many years.

The log we drug up out of the creek a few years ago had an interesting looking knot.
I cut through it to see if it had any interesting patterns.
What a pain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've seen people make wedges out of it. Whittle yourself a bow
View Quote
**sigh**

One more project to add to the list.
Most likely, I am going to determine the proper cut sizes for the various uses and cut it up while still green and then store them away in the wood shed.

Sounds like a good future project for the grand kids.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wait, those are Osage Oranges? We have some of those up here. Big ones every so often along a road shoulder.  Didn't even occur to me they might be Osage Orange because it's not their natural range, and who would ship that up here for fence posts when we have black locust all over the place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, nobody mentioned the best part of the tree.  It was these fuckers and they hurt like a mofo in neighborhood fights.

Locust trees are the devil.
I would much rather deal with bois d'arc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grips are an interesting idea. I see that in addition to being hard as fuck, bois d'arc wood is very dimensionally stable.

I wonder if people would pay a premium for grips made of "reclaimed" bois d'arc from old fenceposts and such?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have some grips made out of Osage Orange. I like the trees. They're tough, prolific and have an interesting history. Most of the fence rows with hedge trees in them that you see are approaching 100 years old. The green balls keep the kids entertained and are digested easily by the mower.

Bottom gun:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/154165/C0F812D5-012D-4470-B8AB-67BE45FB0684-421131.JPG

I am beginning to regret all the old fence post and trunks that ended up on the burn pile
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Bois d'arc-Osage Orange-Hedge Wood is great for burning in your Wood Stove (Not so much for your fireplace, sparks a lot)

I burn it exclusively on cold days in the winter time. Produces lots of heat for a long time. It is a very dense wood with 32.9 million BTUs per cord dry. It can also be burnt wet, cut  a live tree down and throw it in the stove the same day. I don't know of many other woods you can do that with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it artisanally and organically handmade by an old blind veteran living in an old winery he is restoring by hand?  Because I'd pay like $300 for those grips
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
iirc the Foxfire books recommend Bois d'arc for the sill logs building log cabins. Will not rot.

OP I'd be anxious to have a few of those fruit next season - planting for a hedgerow. Pruned & trained, it makes a pretty famously tough fence row that keeps the most determined animals in (or out).
View Quote
PM on it's way.

I have know idea when the right season for collecting is but they are all over out along the creek right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom gun:

I have no doubt that they would. The ones in the picture were embarrassingly inexpensive but don’t fit the greatest. Supposedly the wood changes from yellow to dark orange or amber over time through exposure to UV light. Could be a cool experiment with some grow lights or a tanning bed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it artisanally and organically handmade by an old blind veteran living in an old winery he is restoring by hand?  Because I'd pay like $300 for those grips
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say I'd buy them; I was wondering if someone would. :)

I have no qualms whatsoever selling people something they want - and there are a shit ton of old fence posts and lumber laying around this part of the Ozarks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
The horse apples are fun .22 targets.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
great, now i fell down a youtube rabbit hole watching guys make bows from some wood I didn't know about
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn't say I'd buy them; I was wondering if someone would. :)

I have no qualms whatsoever selling people something they want - and there are a shit ton of old fence posts and lumber laying around this part of the Ozarks.
View Quote
Not tryng to bash on ya.  It is just the word "reclaimed wood" in the DFW area is synonymous with "That will be $600 over the standard price for that furniture item, even though it looks like it was an old barn; because it was."  So all the associated marketing just spilled out on to the page when I saw "reclaimed."
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#24]
My Great Great Grandfather sold them for fence posts in the 1870 and 1890s.  So there are some fences in North Central Texas that have 400 yeas to go on there fences.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used it for knife handles.

I have also built cabinets, window and door casing and baseboard out of it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.
He's in Ohio, and would know this as Osage Orange trees
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've used it for knife handles.
<a href="https://postimg.org/image/nnnhc8d9n/"></a>https://s25.postimg.org/6n4l3k08f/2017-08-07_17.55.09.jpg
<a href="https://postimg.org/image/sqfsaht3f/"></a>https://s25.postimg.org/j5w5nm3rj/2017-12-17_16.49.05.jpg

I have also built cabinets, window and door casing and baseboard out of it.
<a href="https://postimg.org/image/h9ye8zg3f/"></a>https://s25.postimg.org/u1ckfhpvj/2018-01-15_10.18.58.jpg
View Quote
That first knife is purdy.

Those cabinets will last forever
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, there's a junk store there and a house that should be used in a horror film before it falls in.  Other than that, it's only a couple of miles from a pretty nice fudd range.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have no doubt that they would. The ones in the picture were embarrassingly inexpensive but don’t fit the greatest. Supposedly the wood changes from yellow to dark orange or amber over time through exposure to UV light. Could be a cool experiment with some grow lights or a tanning bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom gun:

"No officer, those grow lights are for aging hand gun grips"
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom gun:

I'll just point out that if you're talking to a cop who is poking around your shop and asking questions, you've already got problems. :)
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Knife scales.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Knife scales.
View Quote
I have a bunch of research to do this week regarding various "blank" sizes for green wood.

Might have to pull some of the larger branches back off the burn pile
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what we did and you had to wash your hands when the fight was over.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's great for duck calls.
View Quote
X2.  My favorite goose call is bodarc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Make good knife handles as well.  A simple knife commissioned with customer provided Osage Orange.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of research to do this week regarding various "blank" sizes for green wood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knife scales.

I can, uh, aid you in your research. Nudge, nudge,

Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought a bunch of it from a guy years ago that said it was so hard to cut it threw sparks on the band mill.  I figured he just ran through some nails but it is hard as hell so who knows.
View Quote
I had a black locust that had been dead for 20 years or so. It definitely threw sparks when I had it cut into boards. It was hard to work with to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knife scales.

"Say no more"
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Should I start puttting up my trees on the EE now?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Should I start puttting up my trees on the EE now?
View Quote
Right?

Who knew?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.
Yeah. I had no idea......
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.
Same question, Osage Orange.
Not good for handles due to springiness?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.
I like shock absorption in a handle but I don't have any experience with Osage Orange in an axe handle. I'd love to have a piece to create an axe handle out of but I don't have any good sources.

I sell axe handles on EBay that are hickory and thinner than the other handle companies will sell. This is specifically for shock absorption and ergos. I don't muscle my axes. They are a weight on a string to me. I can still swing hard. I just don't try to drive it hard all the way through impact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like shock absorption in a handle but I don't have any experience with Osage Orange in an axe handle. I'd love to have a piece to create an axe handle out of but I don't have any good sources.

I sell axe handles on EBay that are hickory and thinner than the other handle companies will sell. This is specifically for shock absorption and ergos. I don't muscle my axes. They are a weight on a string to me. I can still swing hard. I just don't try to drive it hard all the way through impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting

@batmanacw
@fatcat4620
No habla Espanol.

Give me some dimensions and what part of the trunk you want and I'll cut a chunk out.
Might have to let it dry for a few years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Right?

Who knew?
View Quote
I know the thorns on the honey locusts tree have been used as nails. Maybe we should start selling those to hippies.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's great for duck calls.
View Quote
Duck calls and knife scales.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know the thorns on the honey locusts tree have been used as nails. Maybe we should start selling those to hippies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right?

Who knew?
Fookin locust trees.

If I could generate hipster interest in them, maybe they would come and eradicate them for me.

I HATE LOCUST TREES!
Removing them is like trying to fight a Freddy Krueger/Edward Scissor hands hybrid Zombie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fookin locust trees.

If I could generate hipster interest in them, maybe they would come and eradicate them for me.

I HATE LOCUST TREES!
Removing them is like trying to fight a Freddy Krueger/Edward Scissor hands hybrid Zombie.
View Quote
That's the way us PNW'ers feel about Himalayan blackberries...turn your back on them for a few seconds and they've covered your garage.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top