Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/10/2023 12:45:46 PM EDT
Just started looking into chip tuning. Dont know much about it.
Says it can give more hp and better mileage. Does it really work or am i gonna F it ?

Who to buy from?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the tune.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the tune.
View Quote
And the vehicle. It made my 3.8 JK a different vehicle. Actually enjoyable to drive now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d recommend buying Amazon during the IPO since you’re posting from the mid 90’s
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget your underdrive pulleys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’d recommend buying Amazon during the IPO since you’re posting from the mid 90’s
View Quote

Nailed it - 100% necro thread if I didn't see the date posted.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
These days its tuning the ecu.They have the canned type plug into obd port and they are ok then theres the custom tuned ECU.These are the way to go i did a blackbear tune in my silverado and it did make a noticable difference in rpm range i drive in vs the higher rpm.

I was not much a believer in them and a friend with same truck had his done he was so so too but said it was defintiely noticable so i had mine done,
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Doing it right isn't cheap.

Some cars respond better than others. Makes the most sense if you are going to make hardware changes

https://www.hptuners.com/
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just started looking into chip tuning. Dont know much about it.
Says it can give more hp and better mileage. Does it really work or am i gonna F it ?

Who to buy from?
View Quote

What kind of car? Do you care about warranty? Do you have to regularly have emissions testing done?

Some cars/trucks can have huge gains, others none at all. Highly depends on what kind of vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Typically forced induction engines see the biggest benefit. I had a tune done on a Silverado I used to own and it definitely made a minor but noticeable difference in performance. I think the modified shift points/firmness was the biggest thing in my particular case.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
BMW and Audi have factory approved tunes from Dinan and other compnaies that will not void warranty.   Find a tune that is facotry approved.  What car or truck?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
NA, waste of $.

FI, oh yes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BMW and Audi have factory approved tunes from Dinan and other compnaies that will not void warranty.   Find a tune that is facotry approved.  What car or truck?
View Quote

Yikes, no.

What kind of car, OP?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget to put magnets on your fuel line also !
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Chip tuning is pretty old school now. Most rigs from the last 20+ years you just flash the ECM.

I do need to get a chip burned and installed in my pickup though. Hopefully supercharger is coming soon. PITA to find an in tact plenum though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a real tune from a reputable tuner foe your platform.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a warranty on the car ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#18]
what type of car?

N/A or boosted?

with a Turbo/SC, there are often large gains to be had with a simple tune.  with N/A, its a bit harder.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got a warranty on the car ?
View Quote

Always the question.

I've got an SCT tuner for my turbo F150. At 110k miles it just started showing signs of cam phaser issues, so after that gets repaired under warranty I'll probably get a couple of custom tunes done, one for towing, one for performance.

My Z06 GM extended warranty ends in November. I've been considering doing some more significant mods (currently have some bolt-ons and a mild tune) but with just over 610 rwhp I already have no traction and I'm not looking to build a drag car.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Is this the same as re mapping ecu ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was in the older days before modern tuning. OP is lacking many details, specifically what type of car and motor.

I'd say most canned "chip tuners" are garbage, but a quality tune can make a huge difference, especially with some mods and a factory turbo car.

so chip tune on your base model 1992 honda civic? garbage.

custom tune on a modern turbo motor, like my focus ST, worth it. or any other factory turbo ford, VW, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are doing this to a stock car that is not factory turboed...it is not worth much...

If you are modifying your car heavily...yes...but than it needs to be a custom tune done on the dyno...
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a BB tune on my 06 Silverado 5.3, met him and did the ride along. Need to get the line pressure turned down, shifts are hard now. Not much of a gain.

Took dads 2015 5.3/6L80 to a local-ish dyno tune, different truck afterwards, really helped the trans.

I’d recommend a dyno tune..
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Chipping an older out of warranty vehicle would be okay. But if you have a vehicle under factory warranty, you will void it. And they would not even need to honor non-related warranty items if you have changed the emissions.

GBB
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chipping an older out of warranty vehicle would be okay. But if you have a vehicle under factory warranty, you will void it. And they would not even need to honor non-related warranty items if you have changed the emissions.

GBB
View Quote

I don't believe that to be correct.  Yes, if you mod the engine, they could claim that anything powertrain related could be voided due to excessive torque, etc.

but they wouldn't be able to claim that your tune caused your door handle to break, the power mirrors to stop working, or any other non-powertrain item to break.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Typically forced induction engines see the biggest benefit. I had a tune done on a Silverado I used to own and it definitely made a minor but noticeable difference in performance. I think the modified shift points/firmness was the biggest thing in my particular case.
View Quote

That, not much actual performance to be gained if not forced induction or modified, but drivability improvements through remapping throttle/ shift points can be worth it. If boosted can make some crazy gains at the ecu at risk of reliability.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I’m real old school. I Dinan chipped my M3 along with a cam sproket. Woke that little 4 cylinder up.

I have a 2015 Acura TLX-SH now. Handles great.  It’s a good motor but the tranny drives me fucking insane.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm considering a tune like that, by a well-established and very reliable company.  Just software, no hardware.

It would cost about $1500.

It would increase my horsepower by 110, and would increase my torque by 160.  
View Quote

So why isn’t being done?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I do not need to.

My Crown Vic already has the Cop chip in it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And the vehicle. It made my 3.8 JK a different vehicle. Actually enjoyable to drive now.
View Quote

The 3.8 needs it. Even with gears mine was a pig.
3.6 with the 8 speed is great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Have an integrated engineering stage 1 ECU and TCU tune on my golf R and It makes it a totally different car was about 1200$. Totally recommend tuning especially if it's a turbo.  Lots of easy power
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Totally worth it on my Ecodiesel Jeep, gains are way more noticeable on forced induction engines vs. NA, but even NA motors can benefit from a good tune.

If your vehicle is an auto you should really consider a trans tune to go along with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know, but fucking the chip in my VW Diesel sure hurt power and gas mileage.
---
Neighbor tuned is Dodge Diesel.  I think it did great for his hp and torque.  So well he trashed his transmission within 4 months.  It was detuned by factory apparently because it was to much for the POS transmission...
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:I’d recommend buying Amazon during the IPO since you’re posting from the mid 90’s
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#37]
In my diesel with no other modifications then a 4" exhaust it really made a lot of differance .

As others have stated we need more information, make, model, engine, transmission, in warrenty and so on.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
If naturally aspirated, you might be able to get an improved throttle response without a tune just by adding a pedal tuner.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I gained almost 4mph trap speed with an E85 tune in my mustang. ?????
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
tuned my own WRX with a laptop in 2009.

screw chip tuning.. go big or go home. get a standalone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Totally worth it on my Ecodiesel Jeep, gains are way more noticeable on forced induction engines vs. NA, but even NA motors can benefit from a good tune.

If your vehicle is an auto you should really consider a trans tune to go along with it.
View Quote

See my post about my 2015 Acura TLX-SH. I fucking hate the 9 speed auto transmission.

Mash throttle. Tranny thinks about it for 3 seconds, then down shifts. I’m not exaggerating.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
bigger turbo, injectors and a good tune really livens up my excursion with over 275 hp more than stock
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

See my post about my 2015 Acura TLX-SH. I fucking hate the 9 speed auto transmission.

Mash throttle. Tranny thinks about it for 3 seconds, then down shifts. I’m not exaggerating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I know those feels.

The gen 2 Ecodiesel from 14-18 are known to have an atrocious throttle/trans lag after the diesel emissions scandal settlement that forced Chrysler to reflash the engine and transmission.

The Green Diesel Engineering engine and trans tune fixed all of that and then some. I absolutely love the way my Grand Cherokee runs now. Verified dyno gains of 40 WHP and 60 WTQ and a good bump in fuel economy as well. Reduced soot production and 49 state emissions legal.

There are other tunes that make more power, but GDE is one of the longest running Ecodiesel tuners and have an excellent reputation and support.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#44]
We have an eco-diesel in our 2019 Wrangler.  Stock tune is plenty peppy in it.  Apparently so good they almost immediately discontinued the option.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Already mentioned ad nauseum, but it really depends on the car, and sometimes even which variant in a model range.

For example, lots of people tune Subaru Imprezas, but its most all the turbocharged WRX's and STi's, not the NA cars.

More details like vehicle year, model, variant, and what you want to accomplish with it, will help.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What kind of car? Do you care about warranty? Do you have to regularly have emissions testing done?

Some cars/trucks can have huge gains, others none at all. Highly depends on what kind of vehicle.
View Quote

18 taurus se no emissions. Paid for. Out of warranty. Its not anything more than an a daily driver. More interested in gas mileage than anything
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#47]
My TDI, GTI, S5 and ZX10R are all tuned and have the correct supporting mods. They’re all night and day vs stock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Normally aspirated, meaning not turbo charged or super charged; waste of money.

And if it's turbo or supercharge boost tweek, you are taking the engineers margin for reliability.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#49]
You can get big gains with bolt ons

I was talking to a guy that had a v6 ranger

He said the cold air intake added +25hp, the throttle body spacer was another 7hp, exhaust was 25hp, he put under drive pulley for another 10hp, then he put on the act tuner for 25hp

I think he said his v6 was making 350hp and he couldn’t keep the tires in the back from lighting up everytime he left the site

He said it was just dangerous in the rain
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
It's amazing on the old Shelby Dodge vehicles. I've been rolling my own for years now. It's worth the time to say the least.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top