BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's the thing, you need to view all claims by the tuner with a grain of salt. A car's engine is little more than an explosion machine that works on the principle of chemically attaining the most efficient explosion through the right ratio of air to fuel and mechanically attaining the most/best explosions by flowing air through the engine as efficiently as possible. Anything that a tuner does must necessarily perfect the air:fuel ratio and/or maintain an ideal air:fuel ratio while in light of a greater flow of air than the manufacturer anticipated and/or change when the spark plugs spark. That's it.

So, if someone says that a tune alone is going to net 50 horsepower on a naturally aspirated engine with no mechanical changes, you should immediately wonder how that's possible. In what way did the manufacturer tune the car so imperfectly that they left that much horsepower on the table? It's basically an absurd proposition on a modern vehicle.

Now, if you change mechanical components that increase airflow through the engine, then, sure, suddenly a factory tune may be inadequate, and an aftermarket tune will adjust the amount of fuel injected to work in conjunction with this new-found airflow, and you make a bunch of extra horsepower.

Further, if your car is turboed, many factory ECU's now control the amount of boost the turbo puts out, so a simple tune can make considerably more power precisely because you are increasing airflow through the engine so as to take advantage of the fuel/spark magic of the new tune.

A couple of examples: My naturally aspirated Corvette Z06 gained basically no horse power from a tune alone. But the addition of intake and exhaust plus a tune gained 40 whp. My Turboed Cadilac ATS-V, however, has its turbos regulated by the ECU, and a simple tune will net a 100 whp gain BECAUSE THE TUNE IS ALSO EFFECTIVELY MAKING A MECHANICAL CHANGE THAT RESULTS IN MORE AIRFLOW.
View Quote
@MrEG

How did the ATS hold up after the tune?  I have CTS that I'm thinking about tuning.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Significant? Not really on either of those points for most modern NA vehicles. Force induction is a different story for hp but I'd also question the mpg claims. About the only things that really see a difference in fuel mileage from tunes are diesels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Just been busy.

No turbo. I was just wondering if i can get any significant increase in hp and gas mileage.

Significant? Not really on either of those points for most modern NA vehicles. Force induction is a different story for hp but I'd also question the mpg claims. About the only things that really see a difference in fuel mileage from tunes are diesels.

@Ayada
Thank you for a straight forward answer
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get big gains with bolt ons

I was talking to a guy that had a v6 ranger

He said the cold air intake added +25hp, the throttle body spacer was another 7hp, exhaust was 25hp, he put under drive pulley for another 10hp, then he put on the act tuner for 25hp

I think he said his v6 was making 350hp and he couldn’t keep the tires in the back from lighting up everytime he left the site

He said it was just dangerous in the rain

JFC. Is he a counter monkey at Autozone lol?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

lol prolly
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The old v6 Ranger barely made 25hp to the wheels and you sure weren't adding any more with an intake. The only reason why it spun the tires is because it lost most of it's rear weight from rust savings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get big gains with bolt ons

I was talking to a guy that had a v6 ranger

He said the cold air intake added +25hp, the throttle body spacer was another 7hp, exhaust was 25hp, he put under drive pulley for another 10hp, then he put on the act tuner for 25hp

I think he said his v6 was making 350hp and he couldn’t keep the tires in the back from lighting up everytime he left the site

He said it was just dangerous in the rain

The old v6 Ranger barely made 25hp to the wheels and you sure weren't adding any more with an intake. The only reason why it spun the tires is because it lost most of it's rear weight from rust savings.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top