Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/3/2019 8:40:48 PM EDT
Lighter than a ar10?
Can take deer & antelope out to 500 yards?
Ammo cheaper than .308?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In before 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Why that over a 6.5 Grendel, especially if you handload? (Honestly asking, not trying to stir caliber shit). Bullet selection of .264 vs .277 is what swayed me to a Grendel, among other reasons. Just curious what the appeal of a 6.8 is for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote
Only just. I tried.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I jumped on the 6.8 bandwagon early, when it and the 6.5 grendel were still in competition, and it seems the Grendel has won out in recent years. I own a 6.8 and it is a great round, but were I to do it again today I'd go with the Grendel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine but if I had to do it over again I'd have went 6.5 just because getting ammo is easier. I figure as many deer as I've killed with it (it's absolutely fantastic on deer btw) if it comes to swapping a bbl and bolt for another caliber, I've already got my money's worth.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
No way
6.5g
ETA: instrted with .277 wolverine and sold the parts
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I jumped on the 6.8 bandwagon early, when it and the 6.5 grendel were still in competition, and it seems the Grendel has won out in recent years. I own a 6.8 and it is a great round, but were I to do it again today I'd go with the Grendel.
View Quote
Yeah pretty much this...
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't the Army working on some sort of hyperdrive-powered, quantum-tunneled round?  I have read that it "has the pressure of a tank".
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I went and built 2 Grendels and am now on a third.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
light weight 6.5 creedmoor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
No particular reason I settled on the 6.8, I just wondering is all. Sounds like the grendel is the way to go. I'll look in to that one as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Because sending a 95 grain Barnes TTSX at 2900+ FPS out of a 16" barrel is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my deer killing 6.8, but 500 yds seems optimistic to me. Then again I can't see much over 200 where I hunt.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn't the Army working on some sort of hyperdrive-powered, quantum-tunneled round?  I have read that it "has the pressure of a tank".
View Quote
Are you in the right thread?

OP, check out the Grendel thread in the precision rifle forum for some data to back up some of what people are saying in here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a 6.8 SPC AR for about 10 years.

I'm completely happy with the rifle but if I had it to do over would do 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I was originally invested in the 6.8 and loved it. Shot the shit out of it. Killed tons of deer, coyotes, etc. Wherever I went, I could find a box of Federal Fusions in a pinch.
Then I decided to switch to 556 for anything smaller than whitetail. 308 for deer and up.

Now I've got real interest in 6.5 Grendel. Particularly in a pistol setup with Accupower 1-8 and hand loads.

Try either one but I'm guessing 6.5 is here to stay. 6.8 may go to the wayside.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Built mine just for whitetail, works well and is a fun round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OP, check out the Grendel thread in the precision rifle forum for some data to back up some of what people are saying in here.
View Quote
I'll check it out. Thank you guys for the thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I jumped on the 6.8 bandwagon early. Got a SBR LWRC and have killed several deer out to 290 yards and a bunch of hogs.
If I did not already have a 6.8 it would be the 6.5 Grendel for sure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 9 inch (early Spikes Compressor upper) and a 16 inch in 6.8.

Recently did a 6.5 Grendel in 12 inch. (Thanks Fortier  )

I prefer the Grendel for the added distance it allows you to reach in shorter package, but to be quite frank, inside 300 the 6.8 is hitting pretty hard. Whitetails definitely don't like 6.8.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I'm in the right thread.  OP is thinking of building a 6.8 SPC.  There's about to be a new 6.8 cartridge (probably)....(maybe).
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm in the right thread.  OP is thinking of building a 6.8 SPC.  There's about to be a new 6.8 cartridge (probably)....(maybe).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

has nothing to do with the question he asked…but ok
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-release-major-upgrades-to-decades-old-assault-rifles?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#26]
It's worth building a 6.5 grendel
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my 6.8. It’s my favorite AR and en excellent hunting round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a 6.8 user, I knew of the 6.5 at the time but still chose the 6.8 and stocked up on SSA ammo when they were still pumping out their tactical 110gr. soft points. I prefer the case dimension/profile over the 6.5g and I'm not a >300yard shooter anyway, not even with my .30-06.
People talk like the 6.8spc is going extinct, it is not, I can find ammo all day long on-line and usually at the local Wal-Mart too. It is not produced by wolf, but it's not quality match ammo anyway, plinking ammo. If Wolf produced ammo in 6.8spc I'd probably pick some up just to have as well.

I like to remind people of the development of the 6.8 where various calibers were tested and although the 6.5 exhibited the best accuracy, the 7mm proved to be the most destructive. The 6.8 was found to have the best compromise in accuracy and destructiveness.

I don't fault people for choosing whatever caliber they choose, but I wince whenever people bash others' choices in caliber. There is always a better caliber out there for whatever metric you might be gauging one by. Since the 6.8 and 6.5g were introduced there has been this unabated hostility by the 6.5g crowd towards the 6.8spc users, that has helped fortify my allegiance to the 6.8spc as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm a 6.8 user, I knew of the 6.5 at the time but still chose the 6.8 and stocked up on SSA ammo when they were still pumping out their tactical 110gr. soft points. I prefer the case dimension/profile over the 6.5g and I'm not a >300yard shooter anyway, not even with my .30-06.
People talk like the 6.8spc is going extinct, it is not, I can find ammo all day long on-line and usually at the local Wal-Mart too. It is not produced by wolf, but it's not quality match ammo anyway, plinking ammo. If Wolf produced ammo in 6.8spc I'd probably pick some up just to have as well.

I like to remind people of the development of the 6.8 where various calibers were tested and although the 6.5 exhibited the best accuracy, the 7mm proved to be the most destructive. The 6.8 was found to have the best compromise in accuracy and destructiveness.

I don't fault people for choosing whatever caliber they choose, but I wince whenever people bash others' choices in caliber. There is always a better caliber out there for whatever metric you might be gauging one by. Since the 6.8 and 6.5g were introduced there has been this unabated hostility by the 6.5g crowd towards the 6.8spc users, that has helped fortify my allegiance to the 6.8spc as well.
View Quote
Well, I'm new to this debate, so no hate from me for any of them.

I found this article, it was pretty informative. These rounds are nearly identical out to 500 yds.
6.5g vs 6.8 spc

Edit: 6.5g holds the wind better, and drops less past 500 yds. & 6.5g ammo is definitely cheaper. This holds more sway for me, as I am not a reloader.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I found this article, it was pretty informative. These rounds are nearly identical out to 500 yds.
6.5g vs 6.8 spc

Edit: 6.5g holds the wind better, and drops less past 500 yds. & 6.5g ammo is definitely cheaper. This holds more sway for me, as I am not a reloader.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.5g vs 6.8 spc

As a 6.5G owner that has studied both cartridges quite a bit, the comparison is very equal at any typical hunting ranges. And I can still find more 6.8 ammo in stock locally. Finding Grendel Ammo in stock is near impossible.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#32]
6.8spc is good for hunting and 6.5 for shooting at  imagery  targets most people can’t see them , have to have a $$high$$ optic and very few ranges have over 200-300 yards any way
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone want to buy any 6.8 SPC marked lowers?
View Quote
whatcha got?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I was an early adopter because I wanted a better sbr round.  Now a days 5.56 ammo does a good enough job. Therefore I wouldn’t do it again unless I needed a round bigger than .224 diameter for deer hunting.  6.8 still makes a great 300 yard deer round for the ar15.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#35]
nope.. go big (50 cal ) or go home.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

6.5g vs 6.8 spc

View Quote
Only the wolf steel cased crap. 6.8 has a wider range of available ammo, especially at LGS's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^ This ^^^
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, my wallet is not big enough for that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Only the wolf steel cased crap. 6.8 has a wider range of available ammo, especially at LGS's.
View Quote
A few people have mentioned that 6.8 is more widely available, yet some say it's going the way of the dinosaur. Guess I'll have to go check my LGS and see what's on the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because sending a 95 grain Barnes TTSX at 2900+ FPS out of a 16" barrel is awesome.
View Quote
When I had my 6.8 I was hand loading the 95ttsx with RL7 and pushing 3050fps out of an 18", no pressure issues either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Went Grendel, glad I did, would make same choice if given a Mulligan. Excellent short range and SBR round, excellent longer range round. I’m sure the 6.8 is nice, and probably completely functionally interchangeable at shorter distance, but 6.5G is really pretty neat. If I were that worried about an alternative caliber for shorter range thumping, I’d go 7.62X39 (I built one of those too in 10.5”, is hot, but that’s another subject).

I have two 6.5G’s now, I’d be open to building a third or more in the future.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes ??

Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a day goes by since I got my 50 that I don’t grin at the idea that I finally have it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#44]
A few weeks ago, I spent 4 days hog hunting with my closest friends. We were shooting a mix of 5.56, 300BO, and our oldest, wisest friend shows up with his 6.8spc.

Guess who was dropping hogs DRT with every hit.

We are currently all ordering parts to build matching 6.8 uppers with the exact same config so one of our friends can load ammo for us that will preform the exact same so when we need to toss a mag to someone who ran out. Yea, that happened several times, lots of hogs needed killing. This way, everyone is on the same page, and if we run out of ammo 30 minutes away from the camp, we just grab a mag off one of our friends.

I have no experience with 6.5 grendel, but from what I have seen, it is a great hog killing round too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A few weeks ago, I spent 4 days hog hunting with my closest friends. We were shooting a mix of 5.56, 300BO, and our oldest, wisest friend shows up with his 6.8spc.

Guess who was dropping hogs DRT with every hit.

We are currently all ordering parts to build matching 6.8 uppers with the exact same config so one of our friends can load ammo for us that will preform the exact same so when we need to toss a mag to someone who ran out. Yea, that happened several times, lots of hogs needed killing. This way, everyone is on the same page, and if we run out of ammo 30 minutes away from the camp, we just grab a mag off one of our friends.

I have no experience with 6.5 grendel, but from what I have seen, it is a great hog killing round too.
View Quote
That's a funny story & a dope idea.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm a 6.8 covert from a .224 Valkyrie fuck up - I do enjoy it.   Under 400 yards, I'd take a 6.8, going further 6.5.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the 3 I have.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, it is worth it. 6.5 is a good round as well. Both have a good number of factory loads and bullet selection for those that handload. Wolf does make steel cased ammunition in 6.5, so some people may see that as a plus. I, however, wouldn't run steel cased ammo through a barrel from someone like Odin Works or Ballistic Advantage...$250-ish price range...to save a dime or so per shot. My 20" 6.8 is a slaying machine, barrel made by A Company Not To Be Named. 110gr Nosler Accubonds (SSA) go into a ragged cluster at 100 yards. It also likes the SB PTS and HP bullets.....those are my plinkers in my other 16" 6.8 that I've had for about 12 years now. Both of the Federal Fusion loads are pretty accurate in both rifles as well.
Expensive to shoot?....yes it can be. But it depends how you acquire your ammunition, either hand loading or buying factory loads on sale and in volume quantities. 5.56 is my high-volume shooting round. 6.8 is for hunting and the occasional target shooting/practice to confirm zero.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I think you would might be disappointed with hunting performance at 500 yards.  I think 300 would be much more realistic limit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No particular reason I settled on the 6.8, I just wondering is all. Sounds like the grendel is the way to go. I'll look in to that one as well.
View Quote
OP, understand that there is a pocket of extreme fanaticism about 6.5 Grendel here. The absolute mathematical fact is that 6.8 SPC is a better deer load under 400 yards. The Grendel folks only talk about one thing: superior ballistic coefficients past 500 yards and shooting long distance. Take that away and there's zero argument left. This has been debated 1000 times at arfcom and the folks with 33,000 posts in just a few years always win out with ready copy-and-paste diatribes. Do your OWN research, and I promise you, you'll see a different story.

To get back to your actual question, yes, it is absolutely worth it. I've killed deer with 300BLK, 7mm-08, 6.8, 270win, 308, etc, and 6.8 SPC is terrific. I liked 300BLK but just didn't feel (rightly or wrongly) that it anchored the deer well enough (which is 90% shot placement anyway), didn't love its slow trajectories and didn't love that there is really only one choice of hunting bullet.

6.8 SPC has given me everything *I * was looking for:

-Small frame AR compatible
-"normal" case profile (i.e. not a short/fat case)
-Super easy to shoot, very little recoil
-Larger case capacity providing much higher velocities
-Oodles of available, cheap, accurate and deadly factory hunting loads
-Terrific results on deer-- DRTs from 90gr pills to 120gr pills. (Shot placement is always the #1 factor)
-Excellent velocities out of short barrels-- 2750 fps from 90gr Fusion in a 12.5" barrel
-High velocities from just 18": 2970fps for the same ammo
-Easy to buy parts, cheap sub-moa nitride barrels

I don't care about ringing steel at 800 yards or taking shots at live animals past 300 yards. (Like 95% of hunters)

-Stooxie
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top