BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Are we obeying standard order of operations here? If so, PEMDAS dictates that's 0. Personally, I hated order of operations questions in grade school. They're pointless bullshit. Outside of grade school, high school, and 'haha gotcha!' social media posts, I've never had to use order of operations rules. If anything, the only use I can see for them today is ghetto obfuscation/encryption... much like a stick shift is an effective anti-theft device now, a OO equation would stump most people.
View Quote

It's actually 3.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Louisiana 'education'.... lol

If you don't want your kids to end up stupid I'm afraid you're going to have to move or send them away
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Angelos Cooks 4kg of pasta, after dinner there is 2kg left...

was 2g eaten? True of False

Looks like it's a conversion question, kg to g. How's your kids critical thinking and or reading comprehension teacher?
View Quote

Yeah... the "was 2g eaten" part is fucky.  Actually the whole thing is fucky and gets more fucky the more I think about it.  2g is like one strand of cooked pasta.  Maybe half a strand. 2g out of 4000g could have stuck to the colander when it was strained or been spilled down the drain and wouldn't be noticed.  There is no way to tell.  Or 2g could have been eaten and 1908g could have been dumped in a nearby planter because Angelos is a crappy cook who can't even boil pasta and make it edible

But either way, Angelos needs to plan his portion sizes much better.  There are starving kids in Ethiopia who would love to have that pasta!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes I did and did not address, units will get you in trouble every time, I assumed it was a typo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but has anyone else caught the whole g versus kg unit issue?

Yes I did and did not address, units will get you in trouble every time, I assumed it was a typo.

that's what the problem had....if it were kg, maybe made more sense, but it was grams
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife is a high school special ed teacher, certified to teach birth to 21.

Last night she asked me "if a serving is 5 meatballs, and I have 4, how much of a serving is that?"
"80%"
"I need a fraction"
"4/5 "
"Thanks, you didn't have to talk down to me" as she typed 4/5 into her diet app.

The other night I explained how if you eat 1/2 of a cup, and a serving is 3/4 of a cup, you've eaten 2/3 of a serving, because 1/2=2/4 and 3/4 means (2/4)/(3/4)=2/3, even writing it down on a scrap piece of paper to show her. "I don't understand that part with the fours, where did they go."

A high school diploma has become a piece of paper saying you've managed to get on the bus for approximately 180 times a year, for 13 years in a row.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife is a high school special ed teacher, certified to teach birth to 21.

Last night she asked me "if a serving is 5 meatballs, and I have 4, how much of a serving is that?"
"80%"
"I need a fraction"
"4/5 "
"Thanks, you didn't have to talk down to me" as she typed 4/5 into her diet app.

The other night I explained how if you eat 1/2 of a cup, and a serving is 3/4 of a cup, you've eaten 2/3 of a serving, because 1/2=2/4 and 3/4 means (2/4)/(3/4)=2/3, even writing it down on a scrap piece of paper to show her. "I don't understand that part with the fours, where did they go."

A high school diploma has become a piece of paper saying you've managed to get on the bus for approximately 180 times a year, for 13 years in a row.

Kharn
View Quote

I doubt she has to use fractions very often with her pupils to be fair

I will tell you one thing about my bride...she can't geometry or algebra for shit...like it took her all day to try to figure out how to lay out her new mud room with cabinets.

But holy shit she will figure out percentages and tax rates like a human calculator.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I just appreciate the use of ethnic names.  I think that's what we should focus on, how inclusive the question was.  Next week they will probably have a similar question that uses they/them pronouns....

They probably aren't allowed to use "white" sounding names anymore :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I stopped by a drive thru for supper this week.  The cost was $9.95, the cashier asked if she could round it up to the next dollar for charity.  I said yes and handed her a $20.  After staring at it for a minute or so, she asked me how much change I was supposed to get back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#9]
There is nothing to indicate any pasta was eaten at said dinner dinner.

And, if that were made clear, are they asking if "only" 2 grams were eaten, or "at least" 2 grams?

I hated this crap as a kid.

Was always told I "over-analyzed." The crutch of any idiot who can't communicate clearly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just appreciate the use of ethnic names.  I think that's what we should focus on, how inclusive the question was.  Next week they will probably have a similar question that uses they/them pronouns....

They probably aren't allowed to use "white" sounding names anymore :)
View Quote

Yes, it's so "progressive" to use a cliché Italian name for a problem that seems to be describing a restaurant that cooks a lot of pasta.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Every day I am thankful that my daughter is in AP Calculus, because I can help her with that.  The stupid woke / common core / etc. bullshit hasn't hit it yet, probably because the liberals don't understand it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I stopped by a drive thru for supper this week.  The cost was $9.95, the cashier asked if she could round it up to the next dollar for charity.  I said yes and handed her a $20.  After staring at it for a minute or so, she asked me how much change I was supposed to get back.
View Quote

Did you say $15?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top