Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this. Anyone used anything similar?

https://usamade-ar15parts.com/product/adjustable-gas-system/

Pic sucks but it seems to be a valve in the middle of the gas tube
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are more than a handful of AGBs that don’t utilize small set screws.  The Noveske Switchblock has been around for a while, and there are a few other cheaper options that offer similar features.  Riflespeed just released an AGB with a large adjustment collar that extends over the barrel and out the front of your handguard.  There are a few others similar as well, although they don’t appear to be as well refined.

https://noveske.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/05000507-2_1-1-scaled.jpg
https://www.riflespeed.com/assets/images/Carousel%20Images/IMG_2143_LRExp_2400px.jpg

As for an AGB adjustment screw seizing, it really isn’t something I worry about, especially with Superlative B/O blocks.  In B/O mode, I set the gun up to run unsuppressed in a relatively cold environment.  This will mean increased pressure when the temps warm up and you add a can, but you’ve usually tamed enough gas out of the system that you shouldn’t suffer any reliability issues, plus the B/O mode should offer a bit of self regulation as the pressure increases, meaning more gas is being pushed through the B/O port.  This method has so far worked on .308, 6.5C, 6.5G, and 6mm ARC without any issues.
View Quote

In addition to Riflespeed, Strike Industries offers an adjustable gas block that is very FAL-like.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-collar-adjustable-gas-block
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are there adjustable gas systems that replace the gas tube and work with the standard FSB?

View Quote

If you're willing to replace the FSB, JP offers an adjustable version.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003364111/

I've also seen threads on how to add a DIY gas adjustment screw to an existing FSB, but can't remember where I saw it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For suppressors and adjustable gas block is best. Yes you an use heavier springs or buffers, but reducing the amount of gas is better.
View Quote

This is what I would do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I found this. Anyone used anything similar?

https://usamade-ar15parts.com/product/adjustable-gas-system/

Pic sucks but it seems to be a valve in the middle of the gas tube
https://usamade-ar15parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/gas-tube-A--150x150.jpg
View Quote

I have a bushy that use’s something similar and it works fine.  Again, the part is impossible to find and I have no idea if the one in the pic you posted works or not.  I also found the same photo while searching online for an example.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Heavier I assume? H3, H4?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and make sure that your buffer is the proper weight.

Yes. G has a conversion chart for the alternate weight when running a can on their guns, depending on gas system and barrel lengths.

ETA: Beat so bad the chart was later in the thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on your gas system length too. Mid length I stick with H2 or more accurately a spikes tungsten buffer.T2. Carbine H3 or 4 would work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Flow through cans are less of an issues for extractors, etc but a 5.56 is basically a 22 so there ain’t much breaking going on regardless.
View Quote

QFWTF.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don’t control the gas it could lead to a few breakages. I’ve broken bolt catches and buffer weights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
@thylaughingman

Found this one too. Looks like its made to order

https://www.mountsplus.com/mgi-adjustable-ar-15-carbine-length-gas-tube.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've beaten the shit out of my tan/fde SBR, I don't think I've ever actually shot it unsuppressed.

So far, so good.  The cerakote is dark in some places, but there's nothing mechanically wrong with it.  10k? ish rounds now with a Silencerco Specwar can.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@thylaughingman

Found this one too. Looks like its made to order

https://www.mountsplus.com/mgi-adjustable-ar-15-carbine-length-gas-tube.html
View Quote

That looks exactly like mine so it could be a decent working reproduction.  Buy it!  Also, I will warn you that these are meant to work with a standard hand guard (6 or 7 hole). I can’t tell you if other hand guards will allow access to the adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've beaten the shit out of my tan/fde SBR, I don't think I've ever actually shot it unsuppressed.

So far, so good.  The cerakote is dark in some places, but there's nothing mechanically wrong with it.  10k? ish rounds now with a Silencerco Specwar can.

View Quote

Same. One of my MK18 SBR’s has lived it’s entire life with a can and I’ve not treated it well as far as cleaning intervals. H2 buffer and it’s never missed a beat and it has an extremely high round count.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Alex_F

Specwar you say? Have you seen this thread?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Just-got-the-specwar-upgrade-from-SiCo/20-541830/

View Quote

I run the Specwar K on a few of my 5.56 rifles. Great suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Alex_F

Specwar you say? Have you seen this thread?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Just-got-the-specwar-upgrade-from-SiCo/20-541830/

View Quote

oooh!  Thanks man!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are more than a handful of AGBs that don't utilize small set screws.  The Noveske Switchblock has been around for a while, and there are a few other cheaper options that offer similar features.  Riflespeed just released an AGB with a large adjustment collar that extends over the barrel and out the front of your handguard.  There are a few others similar as well, although they don't appear to be as well refined.

https://noveske.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/05000507-2_1-1-scaled.jpg
https://www.riflespeed.com/assets/images/Carousel%20Images/IMG_2143_LRExp_2400px.jpg

As for an AGB adjustment screw seizing, it really isn't something I worry about, especially with Superlative B/O blocks.  In B/O mode, I set the gun up to run unsuppressed in a relatively cold environment.  This will mean increased pressure when the temps warm up and you add a can, but you've usually tamed enough gas out of the system that you shouldn't suffer any reliability issues, plus the B/O mode should offer a bit of self regulation as the pressure increases, meaning more gas is being pushed through the B/O port.  This method has so far worked on .308, 6.5C, 6.5G, and 6mm ARC without any issues.

In addition to Riflespeed, Strike Industries offers an adjustable gas block that is very FAL-like.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72701/OIP_-_2023-02-22T125226_776_jpeg-2720967.JPG

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-collar-adjustable-gas-block

Intredasting...
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are a bunch of bandaids to deal with the extra gas on an AR.  But the only one that actually addresses the problem is restricting the gas at the port with an adjustable gas block or smaller port.  Or reducing the flow restriction in the suppressor, but that isn’t ideal.  It is however a good option for non adjustable gas systems.

A lot of guys prefer heavier buffers/springs or bootleg gas carriers but all they are doing is managing the extra gas that makes it to the receiver.  Doing so just gives you a gassier and/or louder rifle as you vent more gas next to the shooter’s ear.  Some like “flow through” designs but that is inherently less efficient as the gas spends less time expanding/slowing/cooling to lower the energy which is what needs to happen to lower the report.  You want as much gas to go into the suppressor for as long as possible while limiting the amount that gets sent back to the action to the amount needed for reliable operation.

I think too many people take the approach of throwing shit at a rifle because others told them it is needed or worked for them without thinking about the system as a whole.  Because of that they end up causing more new and exciting problems.  I did the same with an LMT enhanced carrier that wasn’t right for the application I used it for and my rifle wouldn’t run for shit.  The AR gas system is pretty simple, but it is designed to operate with a certain amount of pressure for a certain period of time.  If you add/subtract length after the port you affect the amount of time that pressure is applied (same goes for adding a suppressor).  

What you need is going to be unique to your setup.  A 20” AR can have a nice small gas port and give a gently but longer lasting impulse.  While a 10.5” will have a harder impulse that doesn’t last because of the short dwell time requiring a bigger port to function.  Adding a suppressor to the latter means you increased the time pressure is present for that much larger port, so the best option is to shrink that port a bit as you would with a longer barrel.  While adding a suppressor to a 20” is much less disruptive since the rifle is set up for a longer dwell time by default.

-Mike

View Quote

What size barrel and gas system did you have on the enhanced LMT carrier? Only asking bc I just picked one up for myself recently but havent tested it
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:04:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and make sure that your buffer is the proper weight.

My 10.5” uses a Geissele super 42 with an H2. Recoil is pretty much the same as my pinned 14.5 and slightly harsher than my 18”. Standard Geissele gas black and SOLGW BCG
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a new noveske 10.5 in 2014. Put it for 6 hard years of suppressed use, put about 11-13k through it. Mostly suppressed. Was still shooting fine but rebuilt it into a 12.5, all new parts.

Probably could have squeezed another 4-5 out of it but was wanting a 12.50
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Im gonna go with the bootleg suppressor carrier. Glad I posted this thread. I never knew that item existed! Was going to go with the adjustable gas tube but that seems like a potential failure point.

I was just thinkin.... it seems that you could make your own suppressor carrier.

It would be perm though with no switch. Just drill an extra hole (start small) into the carrier piston chamber. Swap that carrier between your suppressed guns.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What size barrel and gas system did you have on the enhanced LMT carrier? Only asking bc I just picked one up for myself recently but havent tested it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are a bunch of bandaids to deal with the extra gas on an AR.  But the only one that actually addresses the problem is restricting the gas at the port with an adjustable gas block or smaller port.  Or reducing the flow restriction in the suppressor, but that isn’t ideal.  It is however a good option for non adjustable gas systems.

A lot of guys prefer heavier buffers/springs or bootleg gas carriers but all they are doing is managing the extra gas that makes it to the receiver.  Doing so just gives you a gassier and/or louder rifle as you vent more gas next to the shooter’s ear.  Some like “flow through” designs but that is inherently less efficient as the gas spends less time expanding/slowing/cooling to lower the energy which is what needs to happen to lower the report.  You want as much gas to go into the suppressor for as long as possible while limiting the amount that gets sent back to the action to the amount needed for reliable operation.

I think too many people take the approach of throwing shit at a rifle because others told them it is needed or worked for them without thinking about the system as a whole.  Because of that they end up causing more new and exciting problems.  I did the same with an LMT enhanced carrier that wasn’t right for the application I used it for and my rifle wouldn’t run for shit.  The AR gas system is pretty simple, but it is designed to operate with a certain amount of pressure for a certain period of time.  If you add/subtract length after the port you affect the amount of time that pressure is applied (same goes for adding a suppressor).  

What you need is going to be unique to your setup.  A 20” AR can have a nice small gas port and give a gently but longer lasting impulse.  While a 10.5” will have a harder impulse that doesn’t last because of the short dwell time requiring a bigger port to function.  Adding a suppressor to the latter means you increased the time pressure is present for that much larger port, so the best option is to shrink that port a bit as you would with a longer barrel.  While adding a suppressor to a 20” is much less disruptive since the rifle is set up for a longer dwell time by default.

-Mike

My issues were on a factory LMT 14.5” upper (carbine gas).  With an H1 buffer, I had problems with anything (factory ammo) not pushing stout 556 pressures.  I think I am an outlier on this as most that have problems with LMT E-carriers have really short dwell times on 10.3, 10.5, etc and it makes sense knowing how the carrier delays the operation.

But I put a standard carrier in and it ran 100% even with underpowered 223 loads.

It is like any of the other components people add to the operating system.  It is there to solve a problem and does it well, but if you don’t have a problem tinkering might just give you a new and exciting problem to chase.  

LMT sells these to help in overgassed applications especially in full auto.  That wasn’t the problem I had and I was dumb for buying it in my case.  LMT used a pretty small gas port back then (probably still do) and it just wasn’t a good fit.

Lucky for me when I went to sell it later they were what the cool kids were running and I sold it for double what I paid.

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#24]
11.5" SBR AR with a Gemtech G5 and more than 1000 rounds through it.

More than enough to pay for a new "gas system"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top