Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The 3v is a turd. The 2 and 4 valve motors were great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

yeah I agree with you, I had two Navigators with them, not much power
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Fords, but I thought that engine was a dog.  Mine ran great, and I drove the fuck out of it, but it was slow as hell.  The low geared read end just made it worse.

I am not trying to win any drag races, I just want to be able to pull 9000 lbs up the Hale Boggs bridge and not bog down

I’m just saying that that engine was the most underpowered engine for the size I’ve ever driven.

I will say this, though- 200K miles and nothing on that truck ever broke. All I did was change the oil, flush the transmission, replace the shocks once, and put a couple sets of tires on it.  It’s the lowest maintenance vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I guess it didn’t have enough power to break anything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I will say this, though- 200K miles and nothing on that truck ever broke. All I did was change the oil, flush the transmission, replace the shocks once, and put a couple sets of tires on it.  It’s the lowest maintenance vehicle I’ve ever owned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Fords, but I thought that engine was a dog.  Mine ran great, and I drove the fuck out of it, but it was slow as hell.  The low geared read end just made it worse.

I am not trying to win any drag races, I just want to be able to pull 9000 lbs up the Hale Boggs bridge and not bog down

I’m just saying that that engine was the most underpowered engine for the size I’ve ever driven.

The V10 was similar just not as gutless. Just needed a tiny bit more. I always hoped we’d see some new gen V10 Coyote based motor.

I rode shotgun in a Uhaul with a 5.4 from Haines to Anchorage. Soooooooo gutless.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone actually mod a 5.4?

I have an 06 sitting in my yard for sale that nobody will buy...maybe i should yank the engine and slap it in something stupid
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Came looking for a real Triton.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone actually mod a 5.4?

I have an 06 sitting in my yard for sale that nobody will buy...maybe i should yank the engine and slap it in something stupid
View Quote

Lots did when that’s all we had. They got swapped into weird stuff but nobody was ever super happy about them.

I’m sure they don’t share much but the Lightning and GT used a 5.4 variant.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe swap out the rear end?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. 5.4 is a good motor that likes to rev. Swap gears and let it eat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

to some 4.56s?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The 5.4 has several design defects.  Hope the one you got had oil changes every 3k miles otherwise welcome to the sludge factory.  Even with regular EARLY oil changes most of them get the upper oil passageways clogged up by 100k miles and the only real solution is a new engine.  Ford really screwed up with this one.

Good news is there are experienced mechanics who can do a new 5.4 swap with a factory reman engine for around $6k since it's such a common thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 5.4 has several design defects.  Hope the one you got had oil changes every 3k miles otherwise welcome to the sludge factory.  Even with regular EARLY oil changes most of them get the upper oil passageways clogged up by 100k miles and the only real solution is a new engine.  Ford really screwed up with this one.

Good news is there are experienced mechanics who can do a new 5.4 swap with a factory reman engine for around $6k since it's such a common thing.
View Quote

I am going to remove the oil pump pick up, then I am going to use my diesel pump to keep pushing diesel through the oiling system until it gets all the sludge out!
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I've towed with the 5.4 and it wasn't bad at all--it's a truck engine.  Well except the gas mileage.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Upgrade the oil pump if you’re going to be towing. The oem pump looses pressure at high rpm.
View Quote

that sounds like a major jerb tho
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've towed with the 5.4 and it wasn't bad at all--it's a truck engine.  Well except the gas mileage.
View Quote

speaking of modulars.

My dad had a 34Ft moton home with the v10....he put like 80k on that motor home and dogged the living shit out of that engine out west and in the mountains. Engine was like "THANK YOU SIR CAN I HAVE ANOTHER!"

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You could just swap in a good old 7.3 Godzilla ..that should make it better...
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#17]
If you listen to fortechmakuloko, he will tell you a melling high pressure oil pump will solve all the oiling problems.

I had over 100k on mine when I got rid of it, and never had that issues. The exhaust manifold rotting out was the biggest loss of power. Had them replaced and that thing ran like a raped ape.

However I do agree that overall, that may be Ford’s worst engine ever.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 2:42:07 AM EDT
[#18]
The 5.4 can barely carry it’s own weight…sell it, get something else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]
You've got $1500 in it, and it RUNS... the SMART play is to sell it for $1501.
Quick, take your  dollar and RUN.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
The first thing you should do is put a real oil pressure gauge on it and see if you have any oil pressure at idle. The dash indicator is completely worthless don't trust it. If its within range swap the oil pump for a Melling high volume pump and you might save it.

I've heard of folks running a heavy weight oil to mask the issue for a while.

I dumped 6K into the one I had due to having 0 oil pressure at 140k miles. The motor that was swapped in supposedly had 90k miles. I had the upgraded pump installed and it suffered the same low oil pressure fate less than 10k miles later even with an upgraded pump.

<<<<<< Former owner of a 2010 F250 4x4 5.4L 3V.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I had three 5.4 Tritons do over 300k miles each.  Our V-10 Triton shot craps at 200k
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I really hated those engines.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top