Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Having a discussion about the following quoted statement. Some people believe that it is wrong. Some people believe the speaker is contradicting himself. Some believe it's accurate. What say the hive?

"When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light years away, but that doesn’t mean it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it’s really far away."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If something is x light years distant then it took x years for the light to get here.
View Quote
Unless you and the object moved apart while the light was in transit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Having a discussion about the following quoted statement. Some people believe that it is wrong. Some people believe the speaker is contradicting himself. Some believe it's accurate. What say the hive?

"When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light years away, but that doesn’t mean it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it’s really far away."
View Quote

Called light year for a reason.  Pretty self explanatory.  And distance is time according to relativity, or Yahoo Serious or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Light travels 186,000 ft/second....

One light year is a distance of 60 sec/min x 60 min/hr x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x 186,000 ft/sec  = 5,865,696,000,000 ft = 1,110,027,272 miles in a year

So when something is listed as 100 million light years, it is a disdance that is 100 x the bold number in miles away

I was very fortunate to have a very good physics teacher in college that was big into light speed, travel, measuring speed and went into great detail in his lectures....

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Light travels approximately 186,000 ft miles/second.... or approximately 300,000 Kilometers/second

One light year is a distance of 60 sec/min x 60 min/hr x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x 186,000 ft miles/sec  = approximately 5,865,696,000,000 ft miles = 1,110,027,272 miles in a year

So when something is listed as 100 million light years, it is a distance that is 100 x the bold number in miles away

View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

One light year is a distance of 60 sec/min x 60 min/hr x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x 186,000 ft/sec  = 5,865,696,000,000 ft = 1,110,027,272 miles in a year

So when something is listed as 100 million light years, it is a disdance that is 100 x the bold number in miles away

I was very fortunate to have a very good physics teacher in college that was big into light speed, travel, measuring speed and went into great detail in his lectures....

View Quote

It's a little quicker than that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ehhh it's complicated relativity and all.
Time varies, and your point of view varies.

If we have been moving towards an object, but slower then the object is moving away from us, our observations of light are not accurate in relation to it's actual location.
View Quote

except of course for the whole compression and expansion of space thing to keep the speed of light a constant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

State checks out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they factoring in the time you have to pull over so your wife can pee?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We're talking rate (speed) not acceleration. Technically the acceleration of light is zero as the speed (in whatever direction) is constant unless affected by an external influence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always understood light-year to be the distance that light travels in a year.

Yes. So it's technically both.

Light travels at 186,XXX miles per second per second. A light year is a really long distance.

edit: I know it's not "186,000 miles per sec", I dropped that in because I don't recall exactly.
We're talking rate (speed) not acceleration. Technically the acceleration of light is zero as the speed (in whatever direction) is constant unless affected by an external influence.

I understood the doubling of the term to basically be "per second, every second" so as you say unless there's an external influence it's just always going 186,XXX miles per second...
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

but it's confusing cause it could also mean.... well... a year... but... hmmm...

i don't know what op was smoking or what people he talks to smokes.  seems cut and dry to anyone paying attention
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If something is a million light years away it's a million light years away.

but it's confusing cause it could also mean.... well... a year... but... hmmm...

i don't know what op was smoking or what people he talks to smokes.  seems cut and dry to anyone paying attention

I don't even think it's a religion thing, it's a big misunderstanding of the science.

If something is a million light years away, if you started tomorrow going the speed of light, it would take a million years to get there.

The vastness of space is jaw-dropping.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

State checks out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

State checks out.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

State checks out.
View Quote

Sorry guys, you got me.....as far as the state checks out....dont know what the fuck that means.....but I guess it means something to you....

I was doing the math real quick....missed it...

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This, or more so their religious beliefs.  Here is the source of the quote by the way:  https://answersingenesis.org/kids/astronomy/why-are-stars-millions-of-light-years-away/

A light-year is a unit of distance, it is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in the span of a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like someone that can't reconcile their personal beliefs with actual science.
This, or more so their religious beliefs.  Here is the source of the quote by the way:  https://answersingenesis.org/kids/astronomy/why-are-stars-millions-of-light-years-away/

A light-year is a unit of distance, it is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in the span of a year.

Yeah? I can make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. Beat that, mister physics.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understood the doubling to basically be "per second, every second" so as you say unless there's an external influence it's just always going 186,XXX miles per second...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light travels at 186,XXX miles per second per second. A light year is a really long distance.

edit: I know it's not "186,000 miles per sec", I dropped that in because I don't recall exactly.

I understood the doubling to basically be "per second, every second" so as you say unless there's an external influence it's just always going 186,XXX miles per second...

Per second per second is used to discuss acceleration, or change in velocity. If the velocity is constant, there's no need to say that it's going that speed every second.

Just an example, if you drop a rock of the roof of a skyscraper, it will accelerate at about 32 feet per second per second. That means for each second it's falling, its speed increases by 32 feet per second. The instant you drop the rock, its speed is zero. One second later, its speed is 32 feet per second. Another second later, its speed is 64 feet per second. And so on and so on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like someone that can't reconcile their personal beliefs with actual science.
View Quote

That first post nails it again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, we need to know whether or not the photons are on a treadmill for proper measurment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it is a measurement of distance. I would maybe take issue with the second sentence. IDK how light from galaxies millions of light years away would arrive here at any faster rate than light speed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Just wait til he finds out about the Kessel Run.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't even think it's a religion thing, it's a big misunderstanding of the science.

If something is a million light years away, if you started tomorrow going the speed of light, it would take a million years to get there.

The vastness of space is jaw-dropping
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If something is a million light years away it's a million light years away.

The vastness of space is jaw-dropping

The universe is an amazing thing.

TRUE Limits Of Humanity – The Final Border We Will Never Cross:
"Is there a border we will never cross? Are there places we will never reach, no matter how hard we try? It turns out, there are. Even with sci-fi technology, we are trapped in a limited pocket of the Universe and the finite stuff within it. How much universe is there for us and how far can we go?"

TRUE Limits Of Humanity – The Final Border We Will Never Cross

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
If the light gets tired it doesn’t go as far right?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Who thinks it is a measurement of time? Of course it's a measure of distance.

Quoted:
If something is x light years distant then it took x years for the light to get here.
View Quote

My understanding is that this statement is incorrect, as it took it slightly less than X to get here due to expansion of the universe. Such as perhaps if it is 10 Mly away right now, it took 9.999 Mly for the currently observable light to reach us.

The quote from the OP is seemingly wanting to make this point, but the wording suggests that the difference is much larger than it actually is. Something that is millions of lightyears distant now still likely took millions of years for its light to reach us, it's just a few years less than its current distance in ly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#23]
7 times around the Earth in 1 second. In a year it goes a realllllllllllllllllly long way……
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Well a light year is 5.8 trillion miles soo
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, you in a car driving at the speed of light.  It is dark outside and you turn on your headlights.  Will they work?

There was a young lady of Wight who travelled much faster than light. She departed one day, in a relative way, and arrived on the previous night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, we need to know whether or not the photons are on a treadmill for proper measurment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait...are we discussing calculus in GD?

Distance relative to changing time sounds a lot like calculus to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If something is 1 million light years away, the light we are seeing now left that object 1 million years ago
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The first part is correct. A light year is 5.879e+12 miles or 5,878,625,370,000 miles.

The second part is incorrect (it does literally take millions of years for the light to reach us).

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#30]
A ly is a distance marked by time.

c is finite so the ly is equal to the distance light can travel in one earth year.

It is almost like 60mph is 1 mile per minute. So in 1 minute the object traveled 1 mile.  

1ly = 5.879 × 10 to the 12th.

It is an easy way to write that giant number.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If something is 1 million light years away, the light we are seeing now left that objects position 1 million years ago
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Yes, it does mean it took millions of years for the light to get here and we are looking into the distant past when we gaze into the heavens.

I guess schools are too busy teaching the 54 different genders to get around to science.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Per second per second is used to discuss acceleration, or change in velocity. If the velocity is constant, there's no need to say that it's going that speed every second.

Just an example, if you drop a rock of the roof of a skyscraper, it will accelerate at about 32 feet per second per second. That means for each second it's falling, its speed increases by 32 feet per second. The instant you drop the rock, its speed is zero. One second later, its speed is 32 feet per second. Another second later, its speed is 64 feet per second. And so on and so on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it now - thank you!
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I recall the day where I went around asking college graduates how many times in a decade the sun revolves around the earth.

Lots answered wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I always thought a light year just had 1/3 the calories of a regular year.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I recall the day where I went around asking college graduates how many times in a decade the sun revolves around the earth.

Lots answered wrong.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lots answered wrong.
View Quote

That's up there with the old "what's heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?"
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bet! I certainly didn't understand it when I first learned it. I needed people to help me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I always understood Han Solo was using parsecs to describe distance - meaning that he followed a shorter/more dangerous way to travel the Kessel run, not that he was using parsecs to refer to time.  People who get bent out of shape over that are first assuming a non-sensical interpretation and then criticizing it as non-sensical.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Light does not escape a black hole.  Therefore gravity effects light as it travels across the universe.  Slowing it down ...speeding it up ...warping and bending light.  The speed of light in a vacuum is constant.....the speed of light traveling across the universe is not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So how can we see them if the earth is only 6000 years old!

View Quote

Please dont bring them into a semi intelligent conversation
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He’s wrong.

Everyone knows a light-year has one-third less calories than a regular year.
View Quote

Less filling or tastes great?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is he the one who invented Fettucine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

educate yourself and look up Alfred Einstein

Is he the one who invented Fettucine?

He is Norman’s brother. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple...even though as we know it the earth may not have existed until 6000 years ago as you stated. But the space or rather where the earth formed did. So even though the earth may not have existed the light from distant star had reached the area/spot/position the earth occupies long before the the 6000 years you stated. Therefore we can see the light of those stars even though they may be millions of light years away.

If we had telescopes powerful enough to see the actual stars or planets those vast distances. We'd be seeing images from thousand, millions of years ago. Based on how may light years those objects are from us. We'd be looking back in time.

Simpler term...the sun light that reaches the earth and we see. We are looking back in time. Because it take 8 1/3 minutes for sunlight to reach the earth. Sun could expode and we'd not see it for 8 1/3 minutes afterwards. Then we'd die

Some of the stars we see at night no longer exist also. The died, burned out, went super nova ectttt.....thousand/millions of years ago. But we are still seeing their light.

At least that's the way I understand it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

When discussion vast distances and lightyears, a young earth creationist told me that god simply created the light where it needed to be. If we needed to see something 13 billion lightyears away, then he created the light where we needed to see it, so it didn't actually take 13 billion years to get here.

I was like

and then

And then

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Scotty: What's that?

Spock Prime: Your equation for achieving transwarp beaming.

Scotty: [reads the equation] Imagine that! It never occurred to me to think of SPACE as the thing that was moving!

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lots answered wrong.
View Quote

10 years, by definition.

What answer did they give?

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I just call it Warp One.

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always understood Han Solo was using parsecs to describe distance - meaning that he followed a shorter/more dangerous way to travel the Kessel run, not that he was using parsecs to refer to time.  People who get bent out of shape over that are first assuming a non-sensical interpretation and then criticizing it as non-sensical.
View Quote

That's what we call a retcon. It's fine for the canon, but in the end it's just covering up for a guy who wrote down a word he didn't know the meaning of 40 years ago. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top