Quoted:

Exactly
View Quote

So where are we measuring from?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From our frame of reference, yes.  From the frame of reference of the light itself, it took much less time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a velocity measurement and also a unit of distance(because the speed of light in a vacuum is constant)

Like Miles/hr.

Except this is 186,xxx miles per SECOND X 31557600 seconds (per year) X how many years away the object was when the light left it and headed our way.

So, no. The author is wrong. It literally took millions of years for the light to arrive.

From our frame of reference, yes.  From the frame of reference of the light itself, it took much less time.

Yes. But from the frame of reference of the object that emitted it (or reflected it), it will also have taken millions of years to travel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keep it simple

If you are looking at the light from a star that is 300 light years away then the light you see left the star 300 years ago.
View Quote

That is fair enough in my book, but who am I to judge, and who is the jury, Albert?

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From the lights perspective it took 0 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a velocity measurement and also a unit of distance(because the speed of light in a vacuum is constant)

Like Miles/hr.

Except this is 186,xxx miles per SECOND X 31557600 seconds (per year) X how many years away the object was when the light left it and headed our way.

So, no. The author is wrong. It literally took millions of years for the light to arrive.

I’ll go out in a limb and point out that I doubt the person the OP was quoting was looking at it in that nuanced a manner.

From our perspective or from the perspective of the item that emitted or reflected it, it took millions of years to travel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The truth is it doesn't matter.  Concepts like light and time have no meaning other than perpetuating the power structures of white supremecy and cis-normative bigotry
View Quote

99% of GD consists of cis-gendered shitlords.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

Wherever you wanted. If you measured from a stationary object or a location that always faced the sun (or a random point in space), it could satisfy the poster I was responding to originally. We're all having fun here, especially since the measurement of the speed of light doesn't seem to matter to some (from the OP).
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ll go out in a limb and point out that I doubt the person the OP was quoting was looking at it in that nuanced a manner.

From our perspective or from the perspective of the item that emitted or reflected it, it took millions of years to travel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a velocity measurement and also a unit of distance(because the speed of light in a vacuum is constant)

Like Miles/hr.

Yeah, this was a simple topic that the OP brought up thats starting to get the "show me your Ph. D" crowd riled up. It's pretty obvious how wrong the person from the OP is and how right it was for the OP to question it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you were all-powerful and created a man and woman to inhabit your new planet.  Would you make them 1 day old (developmentally speaking) or maybe create them 20 yrs old?

Then, a few days later, a guy comes along and says, “You didn’t build that/those people a few days ago.  They’re 20 years old!”

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The universe is expanding.
That really fucks up measuring very long distances, or very long time spans.
View Quote

Stop it. You're tickling my brain. Heard this all my life but still have a problem comprehending how nothingness expands.  Earth's problems are so much easier to understand.....like how human assholes expand. (ie; Putin marching into Ukraine)
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The first sentence in OP is correct, the second sentence is not.  A light year is a distance.  Light travels at light speed, strangely enough.  Also, strangely enough, the universe is about 13.4 billion years old, but is something like 75-90 billions years across.  Scientists think this is caused by "inflation", not to be confused with what Biden is doing to the country financially.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top