BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2022 8:49:28 PM EDT

How Remote Workers Are Secretly Juggling Multiple Jobs

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the job is getting done, and the employer is happy with the result, there is no problem.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are meeting your obligations and not violating contractural terms (e.g. helping a competator with company knowledge) I see no problem with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have seen here, everything should be done by the book. That dude should ve warming a chair for 10 hours...maybe 12...a day while being thankful for his job and sucking the bosses dick.

That's what I have learned from Arf...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't be interested in doing it.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I work multiple remote jobs and have a remote business with an overseas client.

No issues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have seen here, everything should be done by the book. That dude should ve warming a chair for 10 hours...maybe 12...a day while being thankful for his job and sucking the bosses dick.

View Quote

The sucking of the dick is on you, but I'm not here to shame you for your choices...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on whether the job requirements are being satisfied or not.

If you're getting paid by the hour, for hours not spent with that employer, then it's a problem.

If you have to lie or mislead your boss or fellow employees, then it's a problem.

If all the work is getting done according to the requirements, and the boss is happy... just be careful, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The sucking of the dick is on you, but I'm not here to shame you for your choices...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are meeting your obligations and not violating contractural terms (e.g. helping a competator with company knowledge) I see no problem with it.
View Quote

This. If you're good enough to juggle multiple or the job is easy enough that you can do multiple why does it matter?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been starting to think the person that “supports” me from a wfh position has got to be working more than the 1 wfh job
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
On morals and ethics, GD is consistently inconsistent.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
and just like that people finally understood why all the middle managers really want people in the office
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
No, not wrong as long as you’re meeting the requirements for the jobs and not violating contracts.

It’s called over employed. There’s a website about it and a subreddit all about it. I’ve been doing it for about a year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The true hustler would do that, but farm out the actual work to remote workers in India for a fraction of each salary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know of an employment position requiring the "smartest most experienced IT expert in the world" that can be accomplished from home if said expert has a home datacenter and dedicated office with all the bells and whistles?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ve been starting to think the person that “supports” me from a wfh position has got to be working more than the 1 wfh job
View Quote

I think you may be right.  I always just assumed they never answered the phone or an email because they were lazy.  I never considered they were working multiple jobs.  

Anyway, the first to go are those who work from home.  Most of the issue has been solved already, just a few more to be fired at this point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Rule following is for pussies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds OK………… unless your are violating and/or compromising proprietary, intellectual or confidentiality agreements and/or restrictions with the multiple associations
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I once worked two jobs at the same time as an outside salesman. The two product lines and the customers called on could not have been more disparate.

It was quite lucrative for two years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
If an employee can figure out how to facilitate a 'full time' job in less than 40 hours, what they do with the extra time is their call.

Many years ago i ran a data center. The night crew was a one-man shift...his job was run the backup tapes on all the servers. This was back in the old days of actual tapes that had to be run and then removed and taken to vault.

We hired some whiz kid....one day we found out that he was bringing a pillow to work and sleeping in the conference room for most of his shifts. Thing was, all the tapes were verified and his job was getting done. We questioned him about it. He scripted some code to automated the backed verifications.  He would punch in, load the physical tapes, and he had software (that he wrote) running to execute the backups. He would wake up a few hours before the end of his shift, pull the tapes, take them to the vault, and finish out whatever tasks were remaining.

We didn't fire him. We paid him to teach how the hell he did it.
He eventually quit. We never hired a replacement. That task got automated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think you may be right.  I always just assumed they never answered the phone or an email because they were lazy.  I never considered they were working multiple jobs.  

Anyway, the first to go are those who work from home.  Most of the issue has been solved already, just a few more to be fired at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been starting to think the person that "supports" me from a wfh position has got to be working more than the 1 wfh job

Some of us have worked from home [with actual offices and facilities] for decades, long before the Rice Rabies. Some of us have no choice.
And some of us are "that good" and can prove it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#22]
You may want to read your employer's Ethics & Compliance documents that you agree to as an employee.

It's extremely easy for activity like this to be interpreted as a violation.

And when discovered, I've seen the attorneys from one company contact the attorneys of the other, and both fire the person the same day.

It's not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#23]
It's not illegal, butbif cought could get canned from all.

But if you can handle it and do it well, more power to you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm doing two right now and thinking about a number 3.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some of us have worked from home [with actual offices and facilities] for decades, long before the Rice Rabies. Some of us have no choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been starting to think the person that "supports" me from a wfh position has got to be working more than the 1 wfh job

Sounds good, wish we had folks that could successfully work from home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
as long as it is not in breach of any contract, agreement, law, regulation, etc..
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've worked two jobs simultaneously and both of my employers knew about it.  One was my regular F/T job the other was P/T in the evenings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Business is business.  If they’re not paying you by the hour but for the job and there’s no conflict of interest, have at at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As long as the job is getting done, and the employer is happy with the result, there is no problem.
View Quote

Sure, what could go wrong?

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing them a favor. Millions of jobs out there that don't involve working for a clock watching micromanager. Buh bye.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone know of an employment position requiring the "smartest most experienced IT expert in the world" that can be accomplished from home if said expert has a home datacenter and dedicated office with all the bells and whistles?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
View Quote

You don't have to be on site to work in a datacenter, unless you actualy work with the hardware.

I work in a datacenter and when we used to go in the office, we'd remote in from a building half a mile from the servers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
and just like that people finally understood why all the middle managers really want people in the office
View Quote

Or, just like that people realize modern jobs don't require constant assembly-line busy work. Smart people get shit done and have time to spare.

Amazing how many people can't conceptualize that not all jobs require constant movement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're doing them a favor. Millions of jobs out there that don't involve working for a clock watching micromanager. Buh bye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure there are plenty of jobs for people that currently can’t perform a simple job.  I say good luck to them in their future endeavors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do I sign up?

Seriously, my next career is going to be teaching via Skype, cause I'm getting too old for this shit. I already located an employer that pays more than any other teaching job in the state.

Government funded, awesome bennies. Its a 40 hour a week job though, summers off. But you have to spend about 3-4 hours a day with one on one students, about 1 hour per student. You get about 40 students, all age ranges. If they don't do the work, they are automatically dropped. Your basically just there to tutor them through the rough spots and monitor their progress.

And after a year you get a state teaching certification, which I sort of already have due to a different license, this will just make it officialer. This going to be my "retirement". It will be soooo much less stress. And the pay is good for this area, and I have basically no bills since I own my own house and vehicle... just a student loan to pay off.

If I can get starlink I'll be able to sit at the ranch all day, never even leave the house except for groceries once a week. I can be hanging out at my deer cabin  and working at the same time. That's living the life, buddy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There have been threads about this here before. I was surprised at the 40% figure.

I suspect monitoring software will be better or employers will just require a move back to office work.

Once you start doing things like having an electronic device wiggle a mouse to simulate work you aren't doing you're
heading into civil and maybe criminal liability.
View Quote

Salary exempt law says otherwise.

Exempt me from labor law means I can put in about 15 minutes of real actual work. I’ve got mgmt material written all over me.

You see you can only make somebody work just enough work to not get fired. Beyond that Bob, I mean what’s the fucking point?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There have been threads about this here before. I was surprised at the 40% figure.

I suspect monitoring software will be better or employers will just require a move back to office work.

Once you start doing things like having an electronic device wiggle a mouse to simulate work you aren't doing you're
View Quote

I completely agree, and have seen people caught and fired outright.

The Ethics & Compliance stuff employees agree to abide by is also generously written so as to include anything they want as a violation.  

e.g.

"Is it ethical that we pay you for a full week of work for us, and you spend some/most/all of that time with your attention on another company?"

Our lawyers say NO.   buh-bye.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
CEOs of many companies are on the board of other companies and get paid for that work. It's usually 3 days per month in another city.

If you're working 2 jobs in different industries with different customers you can still be in violation, even if they are salaried positions. Read your employment contract well.

Also the payroll companies are tipping off employers. If both companies are using ADP they will know about the other employer. If you have health insurance they will find out about each other as well. Even if you decline insurance at one of the employers there will still be a lot of questions you won't be able to explain.

The only safe bet if Full time during the day and full or part time in the evening. My mom worked at an insurance company during the day and a grocery store in the evening. No conflict.

BTW - employer lawsuits are way up. I was sued last year by a douchebag employer because I didn't send the laptop back fast enough even though I was out for 2 wks w Covid. The case got thrown out as baseless but still cost me $25k in legal fees I didn't have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
CEOs of many companies are on the board of other companies and get paid for that work. It's usually 3 days per month in another city.

If you're working 2 jobs in different industries with different customers you can still be in violation, even if they are salaried positions. Read your employment contract well.

Also the payroll companies are tipping off employers. If both companies are using ADP they will know about the other employer. If you have health insurance they will find out about each other as well. Even if you decline insurance at one of the employers there will still be a lot of questions you won't be able to explain.

The only safe bet if Full time during the day and full or part time in the evening. My mom worked at an insurance company during the day and a grocery store in the evening. No conflict.
View Quote

What is a 1099 Alex?  W2 the salary exempt one, 1099 all the others.  Fuck, get fancy. 3 different llc, 1099 and distribute across those 3 side jobs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Working one job sucks, can't imagine 2-3.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

A mouse wiggle is like a thermometer on a lightbulb level of cheating compared to what is possible.

At a previous job we used keyboard and mouse recording software to do regression type testing on a software product we were trying to develop and sell.  You could do something simple like record a few pull downs and data entry to record and write a whole novel.  

One job and one boss is enough of a headache, why would I want two of each?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
$20 is $20
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$20 is $20
View Quote

Not even inflation can take that from us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Hold on...where the hell are you people finding these work from home jobs?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. I wish I could make this happen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never understood this notion. If the "job" is getting done in less tan 40 hours, isn't there more "job" to do in the remaining time?
Isn't there something else to do, whether it be conceptualizing, planning, or similar?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've never understood this notion. If the "job" is getting done in less tan 40 hours, isn't there more "job" to do in the remaining time?
Isn't there something else to do, whether it be conceptualizing, planning, or similar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truly spoken like management.
Fuck off with all that. If you hire someone to build a deck, and they charge you $5000 including materials and labor and say it will take 2 weeks, then they finish it in 1 week, do they owe you money back? Are you going to be upset that they finished ahead of schedule? Should they use that extra week to build you a fence?
My employer pays me to be on the clock for X hours, and I have tasks that need to be completed during those hours. I don't owe them any more than that and they don't owe me any more than that. They pay me well because they know I'm going to get those jobs done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#50]
My last W2 job at mega big software corp, they "allowed" side gigs, but made intellectual property claims on whatever you did there.

I joined them when they acquired the startup I worked for.  At acquisition, everyone had to do carve outs for all their side gigs and projects, including my BBQ catering.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top