Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a full time remote position that is my main income and I also log in to a remote position for a couple hours each night and some on the weekends. I could probably overlap them but I’d rather not risk screwing up my main job. It’s nice to get the extra income from the second. I’m not really doing anything at home anyways at night so might as well make some more money.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Director of Engineering that I used to work with once said "They pay me for what I know, not how many hours I put in."

I try to always keep that in mind.

View Quote

Yep.

I work a set schedule but I'm napping, watching TV or movies, or playing video games for most of it.

Sometimes I work really hard. Occasionally something really big goes wrong and I work hard and fast. Other times, not so much. Most times, really.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If your able to carry out all your duties why not
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see this comment a few times.

Define "carry out duties".

I schedule a meeting for 10am and you decline and request in reschedule for 2pm because you have conflicts... Which are your other job.

I shoot you an email to get a PO issued at 8:30am and you get it done around 3pm, because you had other tasks to complete, because of your other job...

You are "doing the work" but are you are also costing your company productivity and letting down your team mates.

Lastly, some companies are dumb, but others are heartless and will catch on. If an employee can run two full time jobs... let's lay off half our employees and make the remaining ones do two full time jobs then...

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I schedule a meeting for 10am and you decline and request in reschedule for 2pm because you have conflicts... Which are your other job.

I shoot you an email to get a PO issued at 8:30am and you get it done around 3pm, because you had other tasks to complete, because of your other job...

You are "doing the work" but are you are also costing your company productivity and letting down your team mates.

Lastly, some companies are dumb, but others are heartless and will catch on. If an employee can run two full time jobs... let's lay off half our employees and make the remaining ones do two full time jobs then...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed you shouldn't be waiting for someone to do your task when you are paying them.

On the other hand, you sound like a massive micromanager.

The kind of person smart enough to do this would have quit working for you a long time ago.  

You're going to lose a bunch of good workers if you stay so hung up on busy work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A Director of Engineering that I used to work with once said "They pay me for what I know, not how many hours I put in."

I try to always keep that in mind.

View Quote

Seems to have worked for James Hamilton. Traveled the world by boat and still instrumental in keeping Amazon's Cloud Services going.  https://www.geekwire.com/2021/amazon-elevates-two-execs-senior-leadership-team-new-ceo-andy-jassy/
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top