Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm female.

Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm female.

Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.

View Quote

Learn to dispense it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock and roll at the drop of a hat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like everyone in the eye. I want to know what they're thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mind my own business and keep my head on a swivel. I don't even make eye contact with randos because you never know when someone is looking to act a fool or had a bad day or wants to die etc

The fuck you lookin at is not something I want to hear. I watch people but I don't let them see me watching them
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Learn to dispense it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm female.

Learn to dispense it.
Dispense what?
It's a fact that women are targeted. I know the likelihood exists, and I plan for it. When people say, "I should be able to walk anywhere alone and not be targeted," I agree. But since that's not the world we live in, prepare and make choices that reduce the likelihood. It's really all you can do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I smile, look people in the eye. I say hello, thanks and am always polite. I always watch people hands, what pocket the knife is clipped in, what hand watch is on and look for printing. Never in public be distracted by my phone. Always be vigilant and prepared but always be nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am always prepared for violence.

Violence is the gold standard, the reserve that guarantees order. In actuality, it is better than a gold standard, because violence has universal value. Violence transcends the quirks of philosophy, religion, technology and culture. People say that music is a universal language, but a punch in the face hurts the same no matter what language you speak or what kind of music you prefer. If you are trapped in a room with me and I grab a pipe and gesture to strike you with it, no matter who you are, your monkey brain will immediately understand “or else what.”  And thereby, a certain order is achieved.

Jack Donovan
View Quote

Now that's poetry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Never disrespect a man you aren't willing to fight.

Never fight a man you aren't willing to kill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My 58-years of life did not prepare me for my next door neighbor's bad reaction to me delivering him the bill for his cost of the fence we shared and I repaired. The bill that came to the exact penny of the estimate that I have him more than two weeks earlier and he approved. He started an argument about why his share was so much, he didn't want to hear or see the math, I told him he had to pay or I'd just take him to court, and my neighbor reacted by reaching behind his back like he was going to draw from a holster there. He advanced to me calling me a punk ass bitch and to get the fuck off his property or he'd kill me. He had about 7" on me but I had about 15 year and 40 pounds of muscles on his skinny old ass. I stopped retreating at the property line, pointed that out, and that's where he stopped. There were neighbors up and down his block watching and listening for the start.

He thought that as my neighbor for 15 years that he could shoot or beat me to get out of a few hundred dollar bill that his broke ass agreed to pay weeks earlier. Both the local and military police got involved. Fuck him and the standards and morals that he has.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walk softly and carry a big stick ?
View Quote
Don’t ever hit a man…but if you do, put him to sleep
View Quote
Don't ever hit a man... once.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot of people who spend all their time on a hair trigger.  I’ve been there myself from time to time.   Have to take a deep breath and walk it off.  Other people live there.  And have poor self-control or forethought of consequences.  That’s a bad combination.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes and I carry everyday even against company policy and posted signs.

there are a lot of unstable people out there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#14]
People who are unprepared have never seen stars or heard glass breaking
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, esp in large crowds.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes. I CC and don't talk shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As usual, FPNI.

Quoted:
(snip)

NOTE: I am not a badass, don't think I am a badass, and never will be a badass.

This too. I'm no tough guy - I simply want peace, to get home safely, and to generally be left alone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Violence is something you have to get accustomed to when you deal with it often.  

Like anything, you get used to it, it becomes normal, and situations where most people freak out you can be pretty calm in.

Once there, yeah it is always in your mind, if needed.  

Most people in the USA are not there, and most who are there, are for the wrong reasons, and are the ones you need to look out for…
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The fuck you lookin at is not something I want to hear. I watch people but I don't let them see me watching them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mind my own business and keep my head on a swivel. I don't even make eye contact with randos because you never know when someone is looking to act a fool or had a bad day or wants to die etc

I use eye contact as a tool.  Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it can detrimental.  I find it very useful at gas pumps when I notice some scumbag ambling my way.  Most of the time a solid stare will turn them elsewhere.  Otherwise I will look you in the eye but not for a prolonged stare.  That is usually seen as a threat or challenge with strangers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#20]
We were a more polite country when everyone was packing a gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

View Quote

You're a stable genius.  Those two guys are mentally defective.  The conclusion they drew from their own experience is wack.  They have very little insight (an ability to connect a cause to an effect within a particular context).
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm female. Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.
View Quote
Learn to dispense it.
View Quote
Dispense what? It's a fact that women are targeted. I know the likelihood exists, and I plan for it.
When people say, "I should be able to walk anywhere alone and not be targeted," I agree.
But since that's not the world we live in, prepare and make choices that reduce the likelihood.
It's really all you can do.
View Quote
Demographics and lifestyle have an enormous effect on the likelihood of a person being victimized.

I'm a 50+ year-old, college educated, married, white male, with a household income in excess of $100K a year.
The chances of my being the victim of a violent crime are extremely small.
However, I also don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't hang out in bars, I don't commit crimes, nor do I socialize with people who do.
My lifestyle reduces my violent crime risk (already small) to almost nothing.

Which is good, because with my heart condition, street fights are out the question.
I sympathize with your concerns due to your gender. I have very few physical options in the face of an attack.
Keep in mind, as a woman, you are far more likely to be victimized by someone known to you than I am.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Gets down to avoiding eye contact and faking acting oblivious  ,  but be prepared .    Some people feel the need to act out w/ the slightest provocation ,   shit happens quickly and unexpectedly according to the videos I watch .    I avoid  the general public as much as possible as people are nuts these days .
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not really.

Just keep your head on your shoulders and pay attention to the people around you.

Also, don't argue with strangers over dumb shit, it's a waste of time.
View Quote

Right because that hot headed stranger will eventually confront someone with a shorter fuze and Karma or Darwin will run its course. Let a useful idiot take care of things for you.

Anyway, violence is really no different than it was a century or more ago. It just seems like it because news travels and is cycled A LOT faster.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Op, you live in the real world.  Others, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Well.. stats wise, it's overwhelmingly a family member that'll inflict violence on you so be prepared to take down your family member.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dispense what?
It's a fact that women are targeted. I know the likelihood exists, and I plan for it. When people say, "I should be able to walk anywhere alone and not be targeted," I agree. But since that's not the world we live in, prepare and make choices that reduce the likelihood. It's really all you can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm female.

Learn to dispense it.
Dispense what?

I think he means dispense violence.

My wife has shared your thoughts on the matter.  Having a daughter has helped me not only understand that this will be something that she will have to deal with.

This is why I have had her learn taekwondo and jujitsu over the years.  Just in case...
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, and when I'm in public I avoid confrontation at all costs. My goal is to make it back to my family every time.

This summer I was finishing getting gas from the pumps, I get in my truck to pull forward and go inside to buy a drink. A guy in a car comes flying through the parking lot entrance and cuts me off, taking my spot  no big deal, I pull 3 spots over and take the other empty spot, think nothing of it.

The driver of the other car,  fat dude in his mid 50s comes running over to my truck in shorts, flip flops, annd his gut hanging out from under his tshirt and screams, "What the fuck? You almost hit me."
I say, "sorry man"
He screams, "Nah fuck that, are you blind?"
I say, "Sorry sir, I'll be more careful next time"
He refuses to let it go, and tries boxing me in between him and my truck. I create space by backing away so I'm not in sucker punch range, and realize this is about to turn into a fistfight.
I say, "It looks like you want to fight, if you want to fight we can fight right now, but I really just want to go inside and get a drink and go home."
He looks at my t-shirt that says the name of my local MMA/Jiu Jitsu gym, and says, "You look like the kind of guy who would sue me if we fight"
I said, "Have a nice day sir"
He gets in his car and leaves, doesn't even go into the store.

I fucking hate people.
View Quote

That's the type of person I hope drives into his living room after his vehicle's throttle sticks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm female.

View Quote
Good thing you're not in Sweden.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I believe the quotes we are looking for in this thread: The problem with today's society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

Violence is always the answer. It just might not be the right answer at times, but still an answer.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. (Already quoted earlier).

Go into every situation expecting a fight. Be glad when there isn't one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nope.

But I do everything in my power to avoid people & places that are likely to cause issues.

You’d be amazed how much trouble you can avoid by keeping your mouth shut, MYOB & being home by dark.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I smile, look people in the eye. I say hello, thanks and am always polite. I always watch people hands, what pocket the knife is clipped in, what hand watch is on and look for printing. Never in public be distracted by my phone. Always be vigilant and prepared but always be nice.
View Quote
I hate when my wife walks around looking at her phone.  She even ran a shopping cart into me because she was staring at her phone.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Seems to me like society has gotten to a point where everyone avoided violence for too long and too many people were able to talk shit and act an ass for too long with no consequences.

Now that consequences are returning, they’re shocked.

I see this at work a lot. The least capable of violence are the most vocal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well.. stats wise, it's overwhelmingly a family member that'll inflict violence on you so be prepared to take down your family member.
View Quote

Don't tell the gov that.  They'll wanna ban family members.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Violence by me, no.
But anyone I don't know, yes, the potential is always there.
Understanding how to read body language helps a lot, as does keeping your mouth shut if it does not need to be open.

I think most here are aware of the potential of violence from others, which is why we own the tools we do.

Quoted:
View Quote

Something I have told my kids from day 1.
Put the phone away in public. Never have it out when getting gas. Be aware of what is around you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I try to stay in orange and do a threat assessment of people whenever I go anywhere.  
View Quote

Yellow is healthier on a long term mental

Orange means a threat is identified but might not need action
Yellow mean aware of one’s surroundings
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyway, violence is really no different than it was a century or more ago. It just seems like it because news travels and is cycled A LOT faster.
View Quote
Depends. The inner-city violence we started to see after the 1960’s is unlike anything we had to deal with in the past.

Granted, it tends to be confined to certain areas, but those areas are growing.
And of course, there is the… overspill… we have to contend with.
Admittedly, it’s a small price to pay for all the diversity we got in the bargain.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
A family member, or “someone known to you”?
The two are often conflated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Supposedly, Texas is the #1 state for family annihilation so ban families in Texas?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Mark me in the paranoid column then. Situational awareness is a life saving skill
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#42]
The world is a prison yard, not a schoolyard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Lambs are all around us
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

The government doesn't give a fuck that people are victims of violence, other than that they prefer it stay at a certain level so that they can use it as an excuse for all sorts of abuses of power.

That's why their "solutions" never solve what they claim they will. They aren't trying to keep people from being victims.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dispense what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm female.

Learn to dispense it.
Dispense what?

That’s very wise of you, because far, far too many women are oblivious to such danger, wander down dark alleys alone, jog in remote areas with ear buds in , park in dark secluded parking lots and walking while glued to their phones , clueless to their surroundings, possible dangers, etc. women who grew up pampered , and around gentlemen, are some of the worst offenders, they expect men to be the types who “ won’t hit a woman”, and they use that short sighted belief as a way to confront and attempt to bully men toe to toe in public.

we see them in many videos up in some man’s face raging at him, cussing him, threatening him, etc, when the reality is the only thing preventing her getting curb stomped is the man’s self restraint, which she is relying on to enable her to get away with physically bullying him…. But the fact is many men won’t hold back, and even a woman’s snide comment towards a male stranger can easily turn into a physical assault , or much worse, especially these days.  The influx of millions of third world males , and short tempers and stressed out people raises the chances of violence greatly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Now that's poetry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am always prepared for violence.

Violence is the gold standard, the reserve that guarantees order. In actuality, it is better than a gold standard, because violence has universal value. Violence transcends the quirks of philosophy, religion, technology and culture. People say that music is a universal language, but a punch in the face hurts the same no matter what language you speak or what kind of music you prefer. If you are trapped in a room with me and I grab a pipe and gesture to strike you with it, no matter who you are, your monkey brain will immediately understand “or else what.”  And thereby, a certain order is achieved.

Jack Donovan

Now that's poetry.

@arowneragain

It's an excerpt from a longer essay, which is good.

https://www.jack-donovan.com/sowilo/2010/09/11/violence-is-golden/
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Right because that hot headed stranger will eventually confront someone with a shorter fuze and Karma or Darwin will run its course. Let a useful idiot take care of things for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really.

Just keep your head on your shoulders and pay attention to the people around you.

Also, don't argue with strangers over dumb shit, it's a waste of time.

I like the phrase "The graveyard is full of people that were right".

Arguing with idiots is just completely non productive. Even less productive if they are violent idiots.

Life at the Bottom has a whole section about this. Lower class stupid people tend to gravitate to violence as a default, they don't have the mental capacity for anything other than that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I like the phrase "The graveyard is full of people that were right".

Arguing with idiots is just completely non productive. Even less productive if they are violent idiots.

Life at the Bottom has a whole section about this. Lower class stupid people tend to gravitate to violence as a default, they don't have the mental capacity for anything other than that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

All of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Situational awareness is a life saving skill
View Quote
A well-developed sense of situational awareness will enable you to avoid far more trouble than any gun will ever get you out of.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

View Quote

Those 2 people are morans, probably turned their backs to the attacker. People live in their own little cocoon they built for themselves on how they think of the world.

Hence why they ended up in the hospital.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top