Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/14/2023 10:54:56 PM EDT
It has been a while.

I ran into one last night. I think if someone would have told him that they were a god he would have told them "thats nothing, I was playing poker with some Sumerian gods last week and took them for everything they had....and I invented thunder and puppies!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a story that's way better than yours.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have two!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats nothing, I have two!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have two!
View Quote

Well shit....

OK, you claimed two before I did....but I was holding back...I have ALL the stories!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I work with a guy who I believe has a legitimate mental disorder. He always has to one up everyone, always has to talk about how great he is, and walks into the office almost every day on the phone (not sure if there is anyone actually one the other end) talking super loud about himself.

He also likes to answer questions that are asked of other people……

The world revolves around him!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
having seen ghostbusters i know that when asked if you're a god you always respond in the affirmative
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
having seen ghostbusters i know that when asked if you're a god you always respond in the affirmative
View Quote

Ha!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, you mean Jamie I used to work with. Her last name started with a J so people would say, oh, you got jj'd. The ultimate name dropper topper. I loved talking to her just to see how big a story could get. She went on a month long cruise once. $50,000. Met all kinds of stars.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
A manager we used to have at work would always start his one upping with “I’ll never forget the time…” and head off into some tale of dubious veracity. They were all intended to convince all the guys (his subordinates) that he was really a cool guy. Mostly he just got mocked behind his back and eventually to his face for being a liar and a try-hard.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I teach high school boys.  This thread has nothing on them
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a woman who had to one- up every medical procedure... till one day she overheard a guy saying his procedure left him very, very tender. She, of course, said "Oh, I had that done! I was in AGONY... " till someone said "Glen was describing his vasectomy!"
Shut her right down!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I work for early-mid career attorneys.  One up me (you can't)

cool story bro time: In college, the track team had an overweight wanna be walk on that claimed to have finished in X position at a certain foot locker regional race.  I said, gee, that's funny because that is the where I finished in that race.  He feigned amnesia, claiming that maybe it was a spot ahead or behind, but I knew both of those guys as well.  He never admitted to the truth, which was that he finished 100 spots back from where he claimed.  

People tell the dumbest lies.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Met a dude who was so bad that I caught him telling MY stories, to other people, about himself, while I was present. Even used the same names and places, just inserted himself in my place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Lot of dickheads like that out there....
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Met a dude who was so bad that I caught him telling MY stories, to other people, about himself, while I was present. Even used the same names and places, just inserted himself in my place.
View Quote

I wonder about this on a deep level.  There is a certain benign tale that my friends tell involving a group of us.  I am sure I was never present for such an event.  They swear i was.  I think we are all being honest.  One of the things that has led to question my own recollection is reviewing deposition transcripts a week or two later.  Somethings are recorded exactly the way i remember them.  Then there are others that i recall differently or not at all.  It is odd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I invented the Post-it Note.

And Go-GURT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a few here and once you notice, you can't ever un-see it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any great stories per se, but I knew one who could not stop himself.  Knew more about everything than anyone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Had a guy like that where I used to work. Literally any story you'd tell, he'd have done something similar but better.

It got to the point where people would just make weird shit up just to see if he'd try to one up them and usually he did.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine went to high school with a guy, that my ex-wife eventually worked with. His secret nickname, that everyone called him behind his back, was FIGJAM.

Fuck, I'm Good. Just Ask Me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's a few here and once you notice, you can't ever un-see it.
View Quote

That's cool but I've noticed quite a few here
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
two buckets
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#24]
CMJohnson?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad was a story adopter, he told me some of my stories and acted all confused when I called him out on it. I heard him telling others stories as well, somehow late in his life his story telling took off to another level. Several of his caretakers would say he was the most interesting man they had ever met and that his life should be documented in a book or movie, I didn't tell them that he was full of BS. They and he seemed content with the fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Talking guns at work, my old manager always one upped, no matter how BS it sounded.  

One day I was discussing shotguns and mentioned something about a 10 gauge, he spouts off,

I HAVE A NINE GAUGE SHOTGUN!!

I looked at sideways like a curious pup, and just shook my head.  He knew that I knew he was living badly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I walked on the moon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Back I’m my construction days I met a carpet layer that insisted he installed all the carpet in the Taj Mahal.
There were lots of other whoppers as well but that’s the one I remember.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Yea, I work with one also, no matter where you been and what you have seen, he has been further and seen more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Thunder and puppies?  I doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Usually military guys with their secret seal team experiences.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I worked with a guy in the Army that claimed to be a trained cook, mechanic (wheeled and tracked), medic, small arms repair man, and mortarman.

It turns out he was telling the truth.  He had been in all three branches, and reclassed a few times in the guard.

He enlisted for desert storm and was getting ready to retire.

He was the worst one-upper I ever met, but he was probably telling the truth.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#33]
No shit, there I was….
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I worked with a guy in the Army that claimed to be a trained cook, mechanic (wheeled and tracked), medic, small arms repair man, and mortarman.

It turns out he was telling the truth.  He had been in all three branches, and reclassed a few times in the guard.

He enlisted for desert storm and was getting ready to retire.

He was the worst one-upper I ever met, but he was probably telling the truth.
View Quote

I thought I was doing good to have 2 of those 5 jobs in one enlistment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a guy do this very same thing a long time ago.  I just stood there like, "whaaaaat is going on right now? "
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Serious Q in case I’m not being self aware. When someone tells a story I will often tell a related story. Always telling the truth and often not better just related.

Never gotten a negative reaction but curious if this counts
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah see, the difference is, my stories are all true.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#38]
One fun game is to get two or more of them together.  
Get the cycle started.  
They start trying to one-up each other in an ever-escalating tower of bullshit.
Stand back and egg them on.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I work with a guy who I believe has a legitimate mental disorder. He always has to one up everyone, always has to talk about how great he is, and walks into the office almost every day on the phone (not sure if there is anyone actually one the other end) talking super loud about himself.

He also likes to answer questions that are asked of other people……

The world revolves around him!!!!!
View Quote

I worked with one. At first I thought he was just a d bag, then I realized he was compensating for being extremely self conscious and I kind of felt bad for him. He was still too annoying to be around though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#40]
We did training at Hoover dam for a tactical response course and had some rappelling. A friend's husband said he had done some stuff in the military and he had done similar things. I have known him since high school and he never left town, so his story stinks. I think he forgot that.

I then showed pictures of the ropes and going over and he said we were a bunch of pussies. He had to run down the dam as part of his training to assist the dam police in a terrorist attack.

ETA- I forgot an important part... he is currently in prison for fraud His lies finally caught up with him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There was a woman who had to one- up every medical procedure... till one day she overheard a guy saying his procedure left him very, very tender. She, of course, said "Oh, I had that done! I was in AGONY... " till someone said "Glen was describing his vasectomy!"
Shut her right down!
View Quote

My mom does that to me, but it's her nice way of telling me to stop being a pussy and get back to work. No matter what illness I may have, she always tells me she had it last week and walked it off.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Almost as bad as people who have to make every conversation about themselves.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Almost as bad as people who have to make every conversation about themselves.
View Quote

Some are just annoying, but conversational narcissist is something relatively new to me I had to look up to learn how to deal with a coworker. It's the most annoying habit I've ever been around.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Some are just annoying, but conversational narcissist is something relatively new to me I had to look up to learn how to deal with a coworker. It's the most annoying habit I've ever been around.
View Quote

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening to anything you said because I'm too busy preparing my response.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I walked on the moon.
View Quote

oh yeah? i did donuts with that little rover car thingy
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Ever work a DoD contract with a retired Navy vet? Goddam, it's enough to make you sea sick. Only branch that just had to talk shop every day, all day. "Shoot, one time we were out in...." blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh, yeah? Well, I invented Play Doh. And the Slinky. At the same time, on the toilet, in fourth grade. With my eyes closed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
So no shit there I was with the Ayatollah of Iran, Burt Reynolds, and 3 albino emperor penguins that broke out of a nearby zoo....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steven Segal was noted for that.  He would hang out with operators, listen to their stories, and incorporate them into his "persona".
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I knew a laborer on a plaster crew who told one of my clients he was a retired college professor. My client was fascinated by this story which was total bull.

Same plaster guy (last name Paris) showed me a picture of a teenager and told me that was his daughter Loreal and went on to say the French cosmetics company was founded by the girls mother and named after her, total bullshit he just expected everyone to believe.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top