[#1]
Of course it’s a hot water heater.

The water doesn’t stay hot by magic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot water reheater
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The device commonly referred to as a "Hot Water Heater" is actually capable of heating any number of liquids.

In our house, the water is swapped out with maple syrup on Pancake Thursdays.

On Movie night / Shower night, we switch it to butter (commonly found as a more or less solid).

I guess we really just run water through it to clean it.  We call it our Maple Butter Heated Cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geez, something else I didn’t know I needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I have this installed in my kitchen:  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375298/hotwater-2935391.jpg

But sometimes I unplug it when we go on vacation.  What is it then?  And if I ask someone to plug it back in when we return, what do I call it?
Geez, something else I didn’t know I needed.

I have never been pleased with the water quality from those devices. An electric kettle is just as easy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol, my house has 10 water heaters total.

8 tankless, 2 tanked.

I installed all 10.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just get your husband to replace it if you're afraid to do the work yourself, OP.

Lol, my house has 10 water heaters total.

8 tankless, 2 tanked.

I installed all 10.

10, what in heck? Can you enlighten us as what size house needs 10. How many laundry/showers?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The vast majority of the time you have a tank of hot water,  the device adds heat to it.  Thus hot water heater.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a water heater not a hot water heater. It makes cool water hot. Is your ice maker a cold ice maker or an icemaker?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hot water reheater
View Quote

That’s a good description. Cold water entering gets heated, the already hot water gets reheated.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]

So I have a Takagi NG unit for the showers.

Then every sink in the house has a POU Stiebel-Eltron unit. I like these as they modulate temps very well, and are adjustable.

I also have a very small electric tank under the powder room sink and the kitchen sink, between the sink and the tankless. This allows for complete elimination of activation time.

This overall setup eliminates wasted energy, time, and water, most effectively, and allows the most flexibility. The kitchen is set to 140, powder room 100, my little kids' bathrooms are 85 and 90 (each of their preferences), mine is 105, wife's is 100, and utility sink is 140, but I have the ability to go to 180.

And of course the tankless gas unit feeds the five showers. The master shower alone would drain a tanked unit in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Water heater has beans.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I'm using it to clean my hot air fryer.  After I rinse it, I'll place my hot air fryer near my hot space heater to dry it off more quickly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So I have a Takagi NG unit for the showers.

Then every sink in the house has a POU Stiebel-Eltron unit. I like these as they modulate temps very well, and are adjustable.

I also have a very small electric tank under the powder room sink and the kitchen sink, between the sink and the tankless. This allows for complete elimination of activation time.

This overall setup eliminates wasted energy, time, and water, most effectively, and allows the most flexibility. The kitchen is set to 140, powder room 100, my little kids' bathrooms are 85 and 90 (each of their preferences), mine is 105, wife's is 100, and utility sink is 140, but I have the ability to go to 180.

And of course the tankless gas unit feeds the five showers. The master shower alone would drain a tanked unit in 10 minutes.
View Quote

You could probably replace all that shit with a single tankless unit and recirculating loop with a smart circulator, and use less energy. How many watts does each of those appliances use? It wouldn’t have near the flexibility (temperature wise) of your setup however.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Water heater has beans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I'm using it to clean my hot air fryer.  After I rinse it, I'll place my hot air fryer near my hot space heater to dry it off more quickly.
View Quote

Why doesn't the term "air fryer" bother you? Why aren't you insisting it doesn't fry the air, and should therefore just be called a "fryer?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
But what if all I have is cold to room temperature water? Does it still heat it? What if I plumb it into a supply of tomato soup? Will it heat that? Buncha rule followers...
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You could probably replace all that shit with a single tankless unit and recirculating loop with a smart circulator, and use less energy. How many watts does each of those appliances use? It wouldn’t have near the flexibility (temperature wise) of your setup however.
View Quote

The electric ones use zero when not in use. And the heat loss on a reciec pump is way worse than paying to heat water for 29 seconds to wash your hands. I did the math. This way is FAR more energy efficient and cost effective month to month.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
if you say "hot water heater", your mom and dad probably met at a family reunion.

And you also probably say VIN number...
View Quote

Why is it a VIN?! It's like 40% letters!!!

Should be a VIC
Vehicle identification code
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
In the South, in the summer, the cold water is already hot coming out of the ground, so by that definition it is a hot water heater. ??
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
OP is absolutely correct
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you put toast in a toaster, or bread?
View Quote

I put bread in my toasted bread toaster.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why is it a VIN?! It's like 40% letters!!!

Should be a VIC
Vehicle identification code
View Quote

Serial numbers and model numbers often have letters in them as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Water heater has beans.
View Quote

Very true. The relevant question is will it heat water on a treadmill?

Also, it is a water heater.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Why would you heat hot water?
The wife gets red in the face when I ask her that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Whatever it is called, it just cost me $1909 to have a new one installed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#29]
It's Tuesday know.  Let's move on to fully semi automatic firearms now...
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just replaced my ~21 year-old unit this summer.   Would have screwed up a finished part of my basement if the tank failed and felt like I was living on borrowed time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine has 1 and it's 32 years old. I keep saying I should really plan on replacing it sooner than later.

Just replaced my ~21 year-old unit this summer.   Would have screwed up a finished part of my basement if the tank failed and felt like I was living on borrowed time.

This is how I feel too. The only saving grace I have is that the tank is under the stairs on the 1st floor and right below that is my crawl space with a dirt floor so if it goes 90% of the water is going into the crawl space with minimal damage to the 1st floor.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Whatever it is called, it just cost me $1909 to have a new one installed.
View Quote

That's super, super cheap compared to the quotes I've been hearing about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll settle this once and for all.  There are no beans in a water heater.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll settle this once and for all.  There are no beans in a water heater.
View Quote

If there are no beans, then it is a hot water heat sauce.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP is absolutely correct
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My water heater is hot to the touch. So it’s a hot water heater. If it’s unplugged for a while, it is simply a water heater.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#36]
The best I can give you is a hot water re-heater, or perhaps a water heater-er. Neither one has quite the descriptive function as the words "water heater" though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I prefer mine set at `105F (code). Plenty hot but you won't get burned
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#39]
When you look at the box the motherfucker comes in, does it say "Hot Water Heater" on the box? No? You know why? Because you don't need to heat hot motherfucking water.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I could care less what you call it.
View Quote

So you care a little bit?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you look at the box the motherfucker comes in, does it say "Hot Water Heater" on the box? No? You know why? Because you don't need to heat hot motherfucking water.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Can someone consult with the department of redundancy department please?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top