Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They going to bring back Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flagg?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, im being a phony tough guy because I pointed out the skin color of an actor is irrelevant to made up characters. But I think you might have deeper seeded issues if you get upset about someones skin color isnt the "right" color that you like, might want to dwell on that. You think there are some "cultural masters" controlling me because I dont care about the color of someones skin? That is the most asinine borderline racist thing I have seen in this thread.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Know what else is made up?

Your phony tough guy aggressive tolerance.

Those limp dicks you referenced?  They're your cleverly weak cultural masters.  You just took the money shot from them and are telling the rest of us why it's edgy to be spit roasted.

Have fun getting passed around, clown.

Yep, im being a phony tough guy because I pointed out the skin color of an actor is irrelevant to made up characters. But I think you might have deeper seeded issues if you get upset about someones skin color isnt the "right" color that you like, might want to dwell on that. You think there are some "cultural masters" controlling me because I dont care about the color of someones skin? That is the most asinine borderline racist thing I have seen in this thread.

Now it's racist to disagree with you, huh?

At least you offendocrati are consistent in application of your play book.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, im being a phony tough guy because I pointed out the skin color of an actor is irrelevant to made up characters. But I think you might have deeper seeded issues if you get upset about someones skin color, might want to dwell on that. You think there are some "cultural masters" controlling me because I dont care about the color of someones skin? That is the most asinine borderline racist thing I have seen in this thread.
View Quote

Have you read the series?

Roland is described in detail many times throughout the series. There are also many sub-plots (as mentioned before) that base on his physical appearance (race, if you will).
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly thought he sucked in beasts of no nation.
The kid that it centered on was the best actor out of the bunch.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Roland is described in detail many times throughout the series. There are also many sub-plots (as mentioned before) that base on his physical appearance (race, if you will).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, im being a phony tough guy because I pointed out the skin color of an actor is irrelevant to made up characters. But I think you might have deeper seeded issues if you get upset about someones skin color, might want to dwell on that. You think there are some "cultural masters" controlling me because I dont care about the color of someones skin? That is the most asinine borderline racist thing I have seen in this thread.

Yes, plots/stories can and often are changed in movie adaptations. Many plot lines are dropped. Its such a big horrible deal that a guy with black skin has been cast in a role that no one knows the full details and story about. No one knows the script, but everyone here seems to KNOW he has the "wrong" color skin somehow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes I know they can change things for the movie.  Hopefully Susanna is played by Weird Al.  He'd play a really good Susanna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Yes I know they can change things for the movie.  Hopefully Susanna is played by Weird Al.  He'd play a really good Susanna.

She's a confused woman. Has to be played by Bruce Jenner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those limp dicks you referenced?  They're your cleverly weak cultural masters.  You just took the money shot from them and are telling the rest of us why it's edgy to be spit roasted.

Oh lord.

There's a lot of white actors I like.  Tom Cruise, Mark Wahlberg, Peter Dinklage, etc.  It wouldn't make sense for any of them to play Roland either.  Roland fits a very specific character type.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really, what is you aversion to black people? Why do you think they shouldn't be cast in an imaginary characters role?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, what is you aversion to black people? Why do you think they shouldn't be cast in an imaginary characters role?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh lord.

There's a lot of white actors I like.  Tom Cruise, Mark Wahlberg, Peter Dinklage, etc.  It wouldn't make sense for any of them to play Roland either.  Roland fits a very specific character type.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh lord.

Many plot lines are dropped. Its such a big horrible deal that a guy with black skin has been cast in a role that no one knows the full details and story about. No one knows the script, but everyone here seems to KNOW he has the "wrong" color skin somehow. have you read the script? You know for a fact he is supposed to be a white guy in the movie?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Actually,  Robert Downy Jr.  could pull it off.  "I'm the dude that is playing a woman who thinks she's another woman"
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, plots/stories can and often are changed in movie adaptations. Many plot lines are dropped. Its such a big horrible deal that a guy with black skin has been cast in a role that no one knows the full details and story about. No one knows the script, but everyone here seems to KNOW he has the "wrong" color skin somehow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand where you are coming from.

This series has its die-hard fans, myself included. In an effort to make an analogy, can you imagine the butthurt if Deadpool was made into a female for this most recent movie?

Some things don't need to be changed just for the sake of changing them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like Idris Elba as an actor, but IMHO the role is not race neutral, especially given the the entire storyline with Susannah/Odetta.  And everything else that goes with it.  It's not a racist thing, it's about fitting the character as described.  It would be like making Roland a woman.

There are some roles, like James Bond, where it doesn't matter as much as many actors have played Bond.  If they made Bond into a woman I would be pissed at that too, but I guarantee there are people who want that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

A black man cannot be a "Honk Mahfah". Maybe Susannah will be descended from Klansmen to keep the racial stuff?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice edit after the fact, btw.

Progressive even
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick! To the Virtue Signal!!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Many plot lines are dropped. Its such a big horrible deal that a guy with black skin has been cast in a role that no one knows the full details and story about. No one knows the script, but everyone here seems to KNOW he has the "wrong" color skin somehow. have you read the script? You know for a fact he is supposed to be a white guy in the movie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh lord.

I'm not sure what you want to hear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gonna Pass then.

I don't have to subscribe to the progressive agenda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.

Gonna Pass then.

I don't have to subscribe to the progressive agenda.

lmao..you all are pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I really like Elba, so I'm not to broken up over the casting.  That said, early reports seem to indicate there are bigger issues w/ the script.  Jake Chambers is the lead.  His father died on 9/11.  It sounds like Sony wants their own Harry Potter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This series has its die-hard fans, myself included. In an effort to make an analogy, can you imagine the butthurt if Deadpool was made into a female for this most recent movie?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the point you are making but Deadpool has made multiple appearances as female

Having a character be different from the source material or even historical/regional "norm" is pretty normal throughout the history of film, but usually in a (white guy -> other), now we see the opposite happen and its causing tons of drama, where as there is relatively little to no drama for the reverse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]
White actors play distinctly/specifically described minority characters all the time.  But you make one stupid Stephen King character from a crappy series a black man and GD loses it's mind.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I was looking forward to this.  Guess I'll give it a miss now.

I don't understand.  James Bond is not black, nor a homo.  Both James West and Artemus Gordon are white, not a salt and pepper team.  Roland is white.  He is not black, nor will he ever be black.  For Pete's sake, look at the illustrations in King's own books.

When can I look forward to a remake of Shaft, with Jeremy Renner as the lead?  Oh yeah, that's right....they ALREADY MADE A REMAKE OF SHAFT, with another black dude as lead.  Hmmmmmm.

On the bright side, I just started watching 11/22/63 on Hulu.  James Franco plays the lead, not Will Smith, so I guess I should be grateful.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the idea of making Jake entirely CGI.  That way he can morph into multiple races in order to placate everybody.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I really like Elba, so I'm not to broken up over the casting.  That said, early reports seem to indicate there are bigger issues w/ the script.  Jake Chambers is the lead.  His father died on 9/11.  It sounds like Sony wants their own Harry Potter.
View Quote

I like him as well. It will, however, be an adjustment for me.

As to the script, I hope they leaked that as a diversion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

White actors play distinctly/specifically described minority characters all the time.  But you make one stupid Stephen King character from a crappy series a black man and GD loses it's mind.  
View Quote

Not prevalent anymore. Sure, John Wayne played Gengis Kahn, but when was the last time this happened?

(Not counting the upcoming Michael Jackson movie where he's played by a white guy. Because we all know it really should be a white woman playing Michael Jackson )
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I give a @#$% who's in the movie, this is more concerning:

"But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says"

from the article: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

WTF, Over? So it's going to start in what, book 5 or 6?

So we'll get one movie,  and it'll bomb, because no one other than book fans will have any idea wtf is going on.
View Quote

I read in an article linked in an earlier post that it will mostly take place in our current where and when. That makes me think that it will be mainly based around book 3.

I'm interested/worried on how they will tell all the backstory (especially Jake's relationship with Roland) without the first two books being a major part in the movie.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

What revolver do you picture in your mind with you think of Roland?

View Quote

Yes, he is a perfect fit.  I can see it in the blue eyes that are mentioned so often in the books.

I'll add this to the same collection as that new female ghostbusters bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Dark Tower books were just awful.
View Quote

Started out OK.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I know what movie I will not be watching. I just finished the dark tower series a month ago. This is disappointing. What other liberties are they going to take with the story?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm guessing that those that have no problem with him being black haven't read the books. It is seriously going to make the movie divert a shit ton from the source material. Fucking retarded.

I'd be equally pissed if they casted Oddeta as a white girl.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Steve King is a Piece of Shit.

That said, Roland could only be played by Viggo Mortensen
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah he would be a fantastic Roland.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  

Heck, even Chris Hemsworth could pull it off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agreed.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  

No way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Stephen King. Afraid not. Nothing that leftist Yankee fuckwad is associated with will EVER get a penny of my money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  

No way.

It would make more sense then Idris.

Though for real, Vigo would be perfect. Now I'm pissed he's not going to play him
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#40]
First off, I loved reading this series but I never finished because these books drag out for too many iterations.

Secondly, the choice of Idris Elba as lead is a huge mistake.  He is a good actor.  But there is a relationship between Detta Walker (who is black in the books) and Roland that begins with the former's distrust of the latter based almost entirely on the fact that he is a White gunslinger.  They can no longer use this very important aspect of the story and i suspect the movie makers intentionally maneuvered around and avoided the issue.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Diversity will be jammed down your throat whether you like it or not.

View Quote

Have a nice day, racist.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Though for real, Vigo would be perfect. Now I'm pissed he's not going to play him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  

No way.

Binicio Del Toro is my #1 pick.  Then Josh Brolin, then Vigo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I give a @#$% who's in the movie, this is more concerning:

"But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says"

from the article: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

WTF, Over? So it's going to start in what, book 5 or 6?

So we'll get one movie,  and it'll bomb, because no one other than book fans will have any idea wtf is going on.
View Quote

Don't worry, they will go back and do episodes books 1, 2 and 3 after 4, 5 and 6. That worked so well with SW
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

First off, I loved reading this series but I never finished because these books drag out for too many iterations.

Secondly, all racial issues aside, the choice of Idris Elba as lead is a huge mistake.  He is a good actor.  But there is a relationship between Detta Walker (who is black in the books) and Roland that begins with the former's distrust of the latter based almost entirely on the fact that he is a White gunslinger.  They can no longer use this very important aspect of the story and i suspect the movie makes intentionally maneuvered around and avoided the issue.
View Quote

Maybe they'll cast her as white, and the personality will be that of a hillbilly racist white girl.

Fuck, that's what they're probably going to do.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe they'll cast her as white, and the personality will be that of a hillbilly racist white girl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secondly, all racial issues aside, the choice of Idris Elba as lead is a huge mistake.  He is a good actor.  But there is a relationship between Detta Walker (who is black in the books) and Roland that begins with the former's distrust of the latter based almost entirely on the fact that he is a White gunslinger.  They can no longer use this very important aspect of the story and i suspect the movie makes intentionally maneuvered around and avoided the issue.

Man, I highly doubt they're going to adapt any other book.  They just don't translate well to mainstream film.  The only one that would is book 4 or maybe 5.  3 with Blaine would actually be interesting.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Man, I highly doubt they're going to adapt any other book.  They just don't translate well to mainstream film.  The only one that would is book 4 or maybe 5.  3 with Blaine would actually be interesting.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, movies are a shit idea. Would be way better to adopt the GOT model and make a series out of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You beat me to it.  And her redemption will be her letting go of her treacherous racism.  A lesson to all white folks.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of those movies (in which whites play originally non-white roles) tend to be bad anyways - or average at best. Generally people don't talk much about those kind of films or their casting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Fucking BOOOOOOOOO.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top