Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/9/2016 10:33:39 PM EDT

Yea, was watching that timeless classic today. Ever notice just how much everything has changed from when the film was made (late 70's) and now?

Chief Brody smoking at the breakfast table and the kids like it's no big deal.

The mayor smoking inside the hospital ER, again..no big deal.

Chief Brody answers the phone at his house, has 2 big ass phones on the wall, 1 for work calls.

Kids actually playing outside, doing stuff instead of playing video games.

And of course those 70's clothes.

I was 9 years old when Jaws came out, It's scary I remember some of that stuff from the 70's.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Brody is a badass!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hellavu good movie.    I still hear that theme music every time I am in the ocean.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I still want one of these...

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunshows in Ft Worth in the early 90s you could smoke and buy beer and get good deals on guns
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Coffee ice cream...MMMMMmmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
that boat that Dreyfuss had was pretty hi-tech... prolly still pretty boss.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]
"Farewell and adieu to fair Spanish ladies..."
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I lost my virginity while watching Jaws
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
We were just watching that this evening! Such a great film!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Show me the way to go home.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Fair well and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.
View Quote

I watched the making of it a while back.  In one of the scenes with the shark cage they used a midget in a scaled down cage with a real shark swimming around it in order to make the shark look bigger.  I thought that was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gunshows in Ft Worth in the early 90s you could smoke and buy beer and get good deals on guns
View Quote

Good deals on guns?!?!?!?????

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
He ate the light...
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
That's what is great about '70s movies.  It's an unpolitically correct version of how it used to be for real.  Though some things have been edited out forever.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw it in the theater when it came out. Scared the shit outta me!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#21]

On a lake sure. In the ocean, hell no.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]

That truck was for sale on EBay a few years ago. I was very tempted
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I've heard a story about SS stumbling on a photo in National Geographic which partly inspired the film

I think it was this photo.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On a lake sure. In the ocean, hell no.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ha! When we were kids we were afraid to go swimming in the pool at night.

In Arizona.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think the main reason the movie was so good was that it had great actors, and the fact that the damn mechanical shark did not work for most of the film, so you only saw the shark toward the end of the movie. SS wanted more shark which would of actually made the movie suck if you ask me.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I think the main reason the movie was so good was that it had great actors, and the fact that the damn mechanical shark did not work for most of the film, so you only saw the shark toward the end of the movie. SS wanted more shark which would of actually made the movie suck if you ask me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You win.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Saw it in 3rd grade and for years after that I would never allow my feet to hang over the edge of the bed.  Not sure why, lol.  Jaws remains one of my favorite movies to this day.  The DVD that showed the making of the movie was interesting.  It was a low budget movie, there were lots of problems, and the shark malfunctioned many times.  I think even in a key scene, but viewers weren't aware.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. The demon lurking in the shadows is always scarier than the one in your face.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The USS Indianapolis went down on July 30. Quint was a fucking poser, stolen valor POS.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Funny you posted this.....I am watching it now. And I just started reading the book I got for my birthday.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The USS Indianapolis went down on July 30. Quint was a fucking poser, stolen valor POS.  
View Quote
It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#35]
video games weren't that big a thing in the 70's except for pong and there was no internet
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I lost count of how many times I have seen this movie. Enjoy it every time. It's all in the cast. Actors the likes of  which we will never see again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and it gave his character real depth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I do believe Robert Shaw was pretty much blasted during the entire film, which only added to the greatness.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I lost count of how many times I have seen this movie. Enjoy it every time. It's all in the cast. Actors the likes of  which we will never see again.
View Quote

Growing up we had Beta, VHS, and DVD copies of the movie.

The one time I was blown away by the film was when it was on one of the premium DirecTV channels in HD a couple of years ago. Some of the scenes are filmed beautifully.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

this ...watched it yesterday,  and again today on SYFY
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Life was better in the 70s........
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#42]
That's the beauty of the slow incremental loss of freedom-ya just don't notice it.

Each generation loses some,and the next generation doesn't even realize it's gone,since they grew up without it.

Smoking everywhere,no seatbelt laws,no helmet laws,etc...........

I'm sure after the 2016 election we'll start trending back to smaller government and more individual freedom....

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The one time I was blown away by the film was when it was on one of the premium DirecTV channels in HD a couple of years ago. Some of the scenes are filmed beautifully.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.
View Quote
I wonder where that rifle is now?

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://strangesounds.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/meteor-in-the-movie-jaws.jpg

We always caught those in the low-def versions. Loved it.

One of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#46]
gotta be one a the most famous firearms in movie history.

that might be an interesting thread actually.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Yeah, every time I watch JAWS again I have to remind myself

to put one of those on my list of things I "need".

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Life was better in the 70s........
View Quote

Life was even better in the late '80s and early '90s.

It was whatever time frame your memorable experiences happened in.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#49]
We were one of the last to ride the Jaws ride at Universal. We did not even know it was the last day when we got on it. Later that day, they gave out gifts to those last few.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was his name?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top