Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I.m shocked,shocked that you would be the one to come out in favor of more rules/laws/regulations/etc............
View Quote

Not so much "in favor of", more recognizing WHY the process happens.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
if Jaws were a Disney movie. link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fdb4sGMg-w
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I watched the making of it a while back.  In one of the scenes with the shark cage they used a midget in a scaled down cage with a real shark swimming around it in order to make the shark look bigger.  I thought that was pretty funny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.

I watched the making of it a while back.  In one of the scenes with the shark cage they used a midget in a scaled down cage with a real shark swimming around it in order to make the shark look bigger.  I thought that was pretty funny.

And the shark wrapped in the lines to the cage was an accident' It swam through, tot wrapped up and started thrashing around. They left it in because it worked with the story.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Front- bow, back- stern, if ya don’t get it right, I throw your ass out the little round window on the side!

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Front- bow, back- stern, if ya don’t get it right squirt, I throw your ass out the little round window on the side!

View Quote

Fixed
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:20:32 AM EDT
    [#6]
    One of the few movies that I could watch over, and over, and not get bored.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:27:39 AM EDT
    [#7]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I lost count of how many times I have seen this movie. Enjoy it every time. It's all in the cast. Actors the likes of  which we will never see again.

Growing up we had Beta, VHS, and DVD copies of the movie.

The one time I was blown away by the film was when it was on one of the premium DirecTV channels in HD a couple of years ago. Some of the scenes are filmed beautifully.

http://strangesounds.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/meteor-in-the-movie-jaws.jpg

Yes, I always think about that exact imagine and how perfect it was for the tensions and what was going on.  Just beautiful.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:33:17 AM EDT
    [#8]
    Quoted:
    I lost my virginity while watching Jaws
    View Quote

you evidently were not watching Jaws.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:34:38 AM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    Saw it in the theater when it came out. Scared the shit outta me!
    View Quote

I was 18 in 1975 when the movie came out and the line to get into the theater was a hundred yards long....
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:39:20 AM EDT
    [#10]
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:48:14 AM EDT
    [#11]
    Quoted:
    It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The USS Indianapolis went down on July 30. Quint was a fucking poser, stolen valor POS.  
    It's just a movie. They made up the story the night before while drinking heavily. At least they got the year right.

He had self medicated PTSD.  My Dad's friends who were Korean War and WW2 veterans were just like him.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:14:58 AM EDT
    [#12]

Quoted:

video games weren't that big a thing in the 70's except for pong and there was no internet
    View Quote

There was. It was called DARPANET and you had to be at a university or dialed into one.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:50:02 AM EDT
    [#13]
    Quoted:

Awesome, I have a few pieces of the ORCA... The one that was beached in Menemsha. I have been swimming in shark in the pond, pond and had to jump off of the bridge when I was a kid. We have timeshare there now but I miss our summer house up-island. If you are there in the summer, or October, PM me. Maybe we can meet up for a beer or go fishing. Our boat is stored there year round.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I have a sign that was on Quint's shack,maybe I should put it up in the EE for the cost of a box of .22? Grossman Zendar Shark Seekers is a tip of the hat to the stunt coordinator and underwater stunt man.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/A454C935-6388-444B-AB52-EAD5DC950C57.jpg

My summer house is in "Amity",Brody's Blazer still lives there,halfassed phone pic of it driving by
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/blurgh/F7B6B67D-6DA4-43BF-AE8C-C1B822E539B1.jpg

We go kayaking on the SHARK IN THE POND!!! pond
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BF3F5266-29DF-4317-BE43-9282F251828D-5152-0000042ADD7F1837_zps0d746961.jpg

Awesome, I have a few pieces of the ORCA... The one that was beached in Menemsha. I have been swimming in shark in the pond, pond and had to jump off of the bridge when I was a kid. We have timeshare there now but I miss our summer house up-island. If you are there in the summer, or October, PM me. Maybe we can meet up for a beer or go fishing. Our boat is stored there year round.

Sure!

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:51:20 AM EDT
    [#14]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Here lies the body of Mary Lee,
    Died at the age of a hundred and three.
    For fifteen years she kept her virginity.
    Not a bad record for this vicinity.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:59:51 AM EDT
    [#15]
    Quoted:
    I have a sign that was on Quint's shack,maybe I should put it up in the EE for the cost of a box of .22? Grossman Zendar Shark Seekers is a tip of the hat to the stunt coordinator and underwater stunt man.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/A454C935-6388-444B-AB52-EAD5DC950C57.jpg

My summer house is in "Amity",Brody's Blazer still lives there,halfassed phone pic of it driving by
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/blurgh/F7B6B67D-6DA4-43BF-AE8C-C1B822E539B1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BF3F5266-29DF-4317-BE43-9282F251828D-5152-0000042ADD7F1837_zps0d746961.jpg
    View Quote

Aren't great whites again starting to prowl around Martha's Vineyard?
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:23:48 PM EDT
    [#16]
    Look for Roy Scheider giving direction to Robert Shaw in the bottom right hand corner and looking at the camera.  

around :35
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:26:23 PM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Yes,the grey seals had an enormous population boom and with them of course come the predators. The beaches have been closed a couple times due to sightings but I am 100% fine never seeing one.

There is a shark tracker but I am mostly  an ignorance is bliss kind of guy. I won't go surf in early morning or evening,if I see seals I get out of the water  but really don't want to get wound up about them...I know there are some out there. I do think it's only a matter of time before there is a fatal attack on MV,Nantucket or Cape Cod,there are just too many sharks and too many people in the water though. A guy got bit on the feet on Cape Cod and some incredibly stupid women kayaked out to where they saw a seal get taken and their boat got sampled. There were pics taken of a guy getting cased by one but he made it to the beach before it decided to bite

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:37:23 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Quoted:

Yes,the grey seals had an enormous population boom and with them of course come the predators. The beaches have been closed a couple times due to sightings but I am 100% fine never seeing one.

http://cdn.capecod.com/wp-content/uploads/Shark-Attack-3.jpg

There is a shark tracker but I am mostly  an ignorance is bliss kind of guy. I won't go surf in early morning or evening,if I see seals I get out of the water  but really don't want to get wound up about them...I know there are some out there. I do think it's only a matter of time before there is a fatal attack on MV,Nantucket or Cape Cod,there are just too many sharks and too many people in the water though. A guy got bit on the feet on Cape Cod and some incredibly stupid women kayaked out to where they saw a seal get taken and their boat got sampled. There were pics taken of a guy getting cased by one but he made it to the beach before it decided to bite
    http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/ap_shark_kayaker_thg_120709_wmain.jpg
    View Quote

Screw swimming in oceans filled with great white sharks. We need to cull the seal populations, the wildlife preservation laws are too detrimental to the environment. I've heard fisherman bitching that most of the bait fish are being eaten by the seals, and now the great whites are coming back in force.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:43:00 PM EDT
    [#19]
    I ran that movie on movie projectors made in 1950 one week for 13 showings when I was 12 years old.

Carbon arc lighting FTW!!!!

Never forget it.

Danny
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:55:35 PM EDT
    [#20]
    Had the shark actually worked as they had envisioned it, the movie would have not been character driven as it was, it would have been a full on monster movie, as it was supposed to be.

For those that didn't read the book, when the naked swimmer chick gets attacked in the beginning, its a lot different than in the movie. The first attack takes her leg off in a quick strike that pulls her under for a very brief moment. The second one is a full on torso hit where the shark breaches the water with the girl's lower torso in its mouth, when it hits the water, it bites down, severing off the upper torso and one arm, and eating the rest. So overall, the attack filmed properly (which they initially intended to do) would have looked a lot like the airborne breaching attacks Great Whites do against seals in South Africa and few other places in the world.

Judging by how terrifying The Reef was, despite the simplicity of its story and lack of budget, and how cool Deep Blue Sea was despite atrocious acting and over-the-top CGI, I for one would love for Spielberg to re-imagine the Jaws saga with modern robotics and a touch of CGI. They don't need to redo the original movie, but the basic premise of a large predatorial great white hunting an area is terrifying.

FYI, if you liked Jaws you really need to watch The Reef. For best results, watch it a couple days before you go to the beach.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:09:45 PM EDT
    [#21]
    Quoted:

Screw swimming in oceans filled with great white sharks. We need to cull the seal populations, the wildlife preservation laws are too detrimental to the environment. I've heard fisherman bitching that most of the bait fish are being eaten by the seals, and now the great whites are coming back in force.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

There has been a bunch of mismanagement: herring runs have been blocked and not restored and they refuse to cull the huge overabundance of cormorants that feed on eels so there aren't enough bait fish. Combine this with the seals and it's no wonder the mass of bluefish and striped bass have shrunk. Of course  sharks eat big fish too and there are plenty of blues,makos,threshers in local waters too.
     I really do think it's an eventuality that someone will be fatally bitten by a shark and given the nature of  the MV/Nantucket/Cape Cod economy,a few weeks of tourists not showing up and lots of people will have problems. The media will have,because of Jaws, a way bigger field day than an attack by a bull shark in the Carolinas or Florida.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:17:04 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Quoted:

And I do believe Robert Shaw was pretty much blasted during the entire film, which only added to the greatness.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    "Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know... you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know... 'cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent, huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like 'ol squares in battle like uh, you see on a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, Bosun's Mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended him into a raft. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper... anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

The USS Indianapolis went down on July 30. Quint was a fucking poser, stolen valor POS.  

And I do believe Robert Shaw was pretty much blasted during the entire film, which only added to the greatness.

Here's to swimming with bow legged women.

RG
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:22:37 PM EDT
    [#23]
    A bit of 70's humor - a riddle:

Q:  Ya know how they knew that the chick who was skinny dippin' at the start of "Jaws" had dandruff?

A:  They found her 'Head and Shoulders' on the beach.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:30:48 PM EDT
    [#24]
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:59:10 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Quoted:
    I wonder where that rifle is now?

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.

Maybe this collection? Not sure if the one in the case @ 1:11 is the real one.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:33:02 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:

https://youtu.be/8vuqwtvOBbw
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Roy Schieder used his own Garand for the climactic scene. Speilberg told him go go home and get his gun.

https://youtu.be/8vuqwtvOBbw

He's got Ben Gardner! Awesome!
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:44:10 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:50:11 PM EDT
    [#28]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

No, that's not true.  He was a big drinker, but he was sober for just about everything you see on the screen.  He tried that scene wasted because he insisted it would be the best way to do it, and it was a clusterfuck that deeply embarrassed him.  They got that take the next day, when he was humbled and sober.

ETA:  And I think it's one of the greatest scenes of all time...absolutely masterful.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:07:13 PM EDT
    [#29]
    Did anyone see the making of JAWS, that was very interesting, almost as good as the movie itself
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:08:06 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Quoted:
    Had the shark actually worked as they had envisioned it, the movie would have not been character driven as it was, it would have been a full on monster movie, as it was supposed to be.

For those that didn't read the book, when the naked swimmer chick gets attacked in the beginning, its a lot different than in the movie. The first attack takes her leg off in a quick strike that pulls her under for a very brief moment. The second one is a full on torso hit where the shark breaches the water with the girl's lower torso in its mouth, when it hits the water, it bites down, severing off the upper torso and one arm, and eating the rest. So overall, the attack filmed properly (which they initially intended to do) would have looked a lot like the airborne breaching attacks Great Whites do against seals in South Africa and few other places in the world.

Judging by how terrifying The Reef was, despite the simplicity of its story and lack of budget, and how cool Deep Blue Sea was despite atrocious acting and over-the-top CGI, I for one would love for Spielberg to re-imagine the Jaws saga with modern robotics and a touch of CGI. They don't need to redo the original movie, but the basic premise of a large predatorial great white hunting an area is terrifying.

FYI, if you liked Jaws you really need to watch The Reef. For best results, watch it a couple days before you go to the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UD2gbjB3vw
    View Quote

I would absolutely refuse to watch a Jaws remake unless it was set in the same time period.  And then millennials wouldn't get it, because they wouldn't understand the depth of ignorance concerning sharks that existed at the time.  If I were a director, there's no way I'd touch it.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:12:35 PM EDT
    [#31]

This movie brings back memories.  I was too young to see it in the theater, but I remember people talking about it when it came out.  I think it was the first mega blockbuster movie I remember.  

I think the first release was rated "R", because of nudity.  Then they darkened the scene of the girl taking off her clothes and skinny dipping to get it down to "PG", or something like that.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:18:56 PM EDT
    [#32]
    Quoted:

I would absolutely refuse to watch a Jaws remake unless it was set in the same time period.  And then millennials wouldn't get it, because they wouldn't understand the depth of ignorance concerning sharks that existed at the time.  If I were a director, there's no way I'd touch it.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

It's one of those movies that I don't think can be redone. Nothing like it had been made before.  It was new, and frightening.  I think a remake would just come off as stale, even with modern special effects and film technology.  

They might make it "look" better, but they'd never be able to recapture the moment in time that made JAWS such a success.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:32:18 PM EDT
    [#33]
    Quoted:
    Yea, was watching that timeless classic today. Ever notice just how much everything has changed from when the film was made (late 70's) and now?

Chief Brody smoking at the breakfast table and the kids like it's no big deal.

The mayor smoking inside the hospital ER, again..no big deal.

Chief Brody answers the phone at his house, has 2 big ass phones on the wall, 1 for work calls.

Kids actually playing outside, doing stuff instead of playing video games.

And of course those 70's clothes.

I was 9 years old when Jaws came out, It's scary I remember some of that stuff from the 70's.

View Quote

it was almost 40 years ago..

show me a time frame in the past 100 years when things didn't change much over 4 decades?

world war II to culture club in the 80's ?
    depression to disco era?
    Wright Brothers to the corsair?

the United States and it's "filthy capitalistic ways" have drug this fuckin' world along with us as we continuously innovate challenge the status quo.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:32:37 PM EDT
    [#34]
    Quoted:
    With Hollywood ruining classic franchises with reboots, surprised they haven't tried to reboot this one.

Would have too much CGI, a minority female PETA character telling Quint the shark is just misunderstood and replace the Garand with a flare gun.
    View Quote

No guns at all, except >maybe< a spear gun.Chief brody would have been a disgraced big city chief looking for redemption, and either he or the female minority PETA character would have "rigged" some some radio controlled device attached to the tank. Then at climax, it would have failed, and they would have desperately troubleshooted the remote while the shark got closer and closer, before they made it go boom.

Quint would have been a sad drunk who was picked only because he was the only one who could be talked into taking the charter, and he redeems himself  by his actions up to and including being eaten.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:42:31 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

I agree that they couldn't do one set in our time frame, people love sharks now and are conservationist to kill a maneater. Considering how easy it is in the modern day to kill a fish (bangsticks, explosives, hook and rod, fish finder gps, etc), it would actually be pretty cool to have the story set place in some ancient area. Maybe like Capri in the Mediterranean. Replace Brody with the local Roman prefect charged with administrating the island. Local fishermen along the shore are turning up missing, some joy swimmers (they loved swimming back then, high of warm era). Less means to kill sharks, early harpoons, spears, nets.

Seriously, who wouldn't want to see a Roman Jaws. "Centurion, we're gonna need a bigger trireme!"
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:44:33 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Quoted:

It's one of those movies that I don't think can be redone. Nothing like it had been made before.  It was new, and frightening.  I think a remake would just come off as stale, even with modern special effects and film technology.  

They might make it "look" better, but they'd never be able to recapture the moment in time that made JAWS such a success.  
    View Quote

Let's not get carried away. It was a monster movie with a really good score and some great actors reading a script written by one of the best scriptwriters of the era. But its definitely not an original story or even movie type. Its basically a recreation of the Spielberg movie Duel, but set in the ocean. Unrelenting killer chases the good guys.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:47:11 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Quoted:

nope
    View All Quotes

Fun thing would be someone in scuba gear to grab someone at the right moment.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:22:40 PM EDT
    [#38]
    Quoted:

This movie brings back memories.  I was too young to see it in the theater, but I remember people talking about it when it came out.  I think it was the first mega blockbuster movie I remember.  

I think the first release was rated "R", because of nudity.  Then they darkened the scene of the girl taking off her clothes and skinny dipping to get it down to "PG", or something like that.  

View Quote

I've seen VHS copies labeled as both R and PG, and Ione of the anniversary VHS editions was definitely too dark to realize she's naked. The DVD I have(IIRC 35th anniversary) is a different story, much lighter in the shot and she is clearly naked.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:23:43 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Quoted:
    Did anyone see the making of JAWS, that was very interesting, almost as good as the movie itself
    View Quote

I have that, and also a book "The Jaws log"-mentions a few other details, including the difficulty in getting the big tiger shark the fishermen catch.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:29:02 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Adieu to you, Spanish ladies,

Adieu you, ladies of Spain

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:31:38 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Quoted:

And the shark wrapped in the lines to the cage was an accident' It swam through, tot wrapped up and started thrashing around. They left it in because it worked with the story.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    I bought it a few years ago in the Walmart $5 bin. It was the first time I'd seen it in years.

I noticed the same things but was amazed how well the story, special effects and film stood up. A true American Classic.

They went as far as to change the script to use that shot. Hooper was supposed to die as he does in the book, but when the shark got wrapped up in the lines of the mini-cage and destroyed it, it was empty at the time. They added the shot of Hooper swimming out of the top of the cage and hiding on the ocean floor so it would make sense for it to be empty.
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:37:23 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Watch "inside jaws" on Vimeo. Really well done filmumentary

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:46:02 PM EDT
    [#43]
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women,"
    Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:57:58 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Quoted:

I have that, and also a book "The Jaws log"-mentions a few other details, including the difficulty in getting the big tiger shark the fishermen catch.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19750716&id=H70qAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HmcEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7184,242454&hl=en

Let me see if I can get someone to go over and take a pic of the lid from the crate it mentions...

Tigers are very rare in local waters. Someone caught a massive 1200 pound one way offshore and missed the shark tournament weigh-in perhaps a decade ago,the only other one I have heard of was a small juvenile caught from the beach a couple summers ago. I surmise it caught a ride on the Gulf Stream,I've seen all sorts of fish that don't belong like ladyfish,rudderfish,butterfly fish,angelfish that were blown north while diving.
    Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:05:20 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Watched it today,still a good movie
    Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:09:18 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Selected by the Library of Congress as being a good movie.. It is.  Best part is when they leave on the fishing trip and Mrs.  Brody cringes at Quint's limericks.
    Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:18:25 AM EDT
    [#47]
    Quoted:

What was his name?
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

What was his name?

LMAO
    Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:23:27 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

You're much more likely to meet your end with a Bull Shark than a great White.  Me?  I love the ocean, if I meet my end there it won't be for the lack of knowledge that I shouldn't go in it at certain times or conditions. When it's your time though. its your time.
    Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:11:08 PM EDT
    [#49]
    Quoted:

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

This is the top to the box the tiger shark was shipped in from Florida

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:06:52 PM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/5520F8DA-B16C-4B2E-A1B9-0A7AD321AAD1.jpg

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/5520F8DA-B16C-4B2E-A1B9-0A7AD321AAD1.jpg

Cool item, thanks for posting it. Neat something so unimportant is still around.
    Page / 4
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top