Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
@turbo_infidel

What’s your take on the new Supra? Get any seat time in one?

TC
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pricing and durability are issues. I love my 911 but I loved my RX-7’s (gen 1 and 2).

Honda needs to find its balls and build an Accord R coupe.

Genesis needs to build an S550/S63 Coupe competitor.

Nissan needs to rid itself of foreign entanglements then, build a Japanese-quality vehicle before they get back in the sports car game.

Lexus has my attention. I like the RC platform but we’ll see where it goes.

I’m seriously considering a Golf R for my next adventure. I love my Alltrack.

TC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Japanese sports cars just don't do it for me and I don't know why. I think the Italians and Germans make the nicest looking sports cars around.

Pricing and durability are issues. I love my 911 but I loved my RX-7’s (gen 1 and 2).

Honda needs to find its balls and build an Accord R coupe.

Genesis needs to build an S550/S63 Coupe competitor.

Nissan needs to rid itself of foreign entanglements then, build a Japanese-quality vehicle before they get back in the sports car game.

Lexus has my attention. I like the RC platform but we’ll see where it goes.

I’m seriously considering a Golf R for my next adventure. I love my Alltrack.

TC

Honda needs to bring back the Integra. The Acura line is boring AF compared to Lexus.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Honda needs to bring back the Integra. The Acura line is boring AF compared to Lexus.
View Quote

This—totally. I’ve even heard Acura’s quality has slipped.

TC
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just another reason I need to go to Japan.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m on my third S2000. I’d love an RX-7 with an LS!
I’m actively shopping for a fox body 5.0 just like my old high school steed.
Nostalgia rocks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
For me the 3000gt is one of the sexiest cars ever made.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I still have my 94 Supra (but OP is right, I'm an old man and can't bring myself to selling it) but I did recently meet a guy that imported one nearly identical to mine from Japan (RHD) a few months ago so they aren't as unobtainable as they used to be. I am a traditionalist when it comes to the new one. I wish Toyota hadn't partnered with BMW on it

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My first car at 16 in 1995 was a 1993 3000GT VR-4.  Loved it.  So many bells and whistles that at least sounded cool.  All-wheel drive, all-wheel steering, active aero, touring/sport suspension selection, touring/sport exhaust selection, twin turbo, 300hp.  It checked all the 90's cool boxes.   Definitely helped pull in lots of tail as well which at 16 is the most important thing.
View Quote

That was the car my son always wanted, but couldn’t get.  He had the Dodge Stealth instead.  He loved his Maximas too along with the Miata he would road course race with.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@turbo_infidel

What’s your take on the new Supra? Get any seat time in one?

TC
View Quote

@AA717driver We all know its not a Japanese car, but I have some seat time in it and, its pretty quick, probably faster than the MKIV supra in stock form, the trans is

nice, brakes are very grabby (I like this), visibility is good, It has some funky camber gain in the rear end, which sucks.. overall its a pretty nice car... just not my thing..

I fell in love with the Japanese mindset of design, and build quality... not the German style.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I still have my 94 Supra (but OP is right, I'm an old man and can't bring myself to selling it) but I did recently meet a guy that imported one nearly identical to mine from Japan (RHD) a few months ago so they aren't as unobtainable as they used to be. I am a traditionalist when it comes to the new one. I wish Toyota hadn't partnered with BMW on it

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7325/nSFOrJ.jpg
View Quote

The silly part is that Toyota knew the Supra was being brought back for years. What they should have done is develop a high performance I6T of their own and it could have been used the high performance Lexus cars as well.

There is talk of Toyota developing a TT V6 so who knows, maybe the next generation of the Supra will be powered by a Toyota engine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

crank walk cityyyy micro machines
View Quote
This is my 5th one. currently have two including this one. Never had any crank walk issues. This particular one has 47k miles on it. 35k of those miles have been running at 30psi from a garret big T28. And the majority of those miles were on a track.
Stock head and bottom end.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The silly part is that Toyota knew the Supra was being brought back for years. What they should have done is develop a high performance I6T of their own and it could have been used the high performance Lexus cars as well.

There is talk of Toyota developing a TT V6 so who knows, maybe the next generation of the Supra will be powered by a Toyota engine.
View Quote

I have already moved on to dreaming about a LC500 F sport with a TT6 and propper DCT

This is a bit extreme, but you get the idea..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Supras are for sale everywhere
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shes a beauty man...

Love that you still have the stock wheels!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My high school car in the 80’s was a 280zx. I had some fun in that car, but I really regret not buying a 280z. They were cheap and plentiful back then. The ZX was fat and slow, but it looked good enough. I ended up driving it through college and learned how to turn a wrench on it. Rust killed it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP can't even post pictures.
View Quote

You are ALMOST as bad as dickwads who post gory threads with no links.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have already moved on to dreaming about a LC500 F sport with a TT6 and propper DCT

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59051/Central-Pine-Lexus-LC500-5_jpg-1966745.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59051/Central-Pine-Lexus-LC500-5_jpg-1966745.JPG

Stance culture is hella gay but yes, I get the idea.

It would basically be what we thought the Supra was going to be.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Buddy of mine has a RX-7 with a 2JZ stuffed in it. He's a member here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am jealous. I have wanted one for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
we just unloaded an '86 300zx this morning. 78k original miles, very retro 80's cool. gonna take a little work, but it'll be fun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a late 80s sporty Toyota fan.  Cheap, fun cars that lasted and got decent mileage.

My favorites:  MR-2, Corolla GT-S, FX16 GT-S, Supra, Celica All Trac Turbo.

I owned the first two, and my best friend had an FX16 GT-S.   They were great cars, even if underpowered.  If they had 50 more beans, they would have been perfect.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well the Supra is German so it wouldn't count anyway.
View Quote

Uh, gen 1-4 aren't.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]
They were great looking cars.  My neighbor in college had one.  He kept it mint while I knew him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell even 90's era Japanese sedans were cool...

I mean we can't NOT talk about EVO's and WRX's from that era.  One of these days I'll get around to building up my GC8.  The GD ('04 Blobeye) has been getting most of the love right now.

And the NSX...still would love to import a Celica GT-Four.  And then we also had the Lexus SC300's.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m still debating buying a GTR.  They are more than I want to spend, but I feel like now is the time to buy a fun gas powered vehicle before they all go electric and become unobtainable.  

This one is for sale near me:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Honda/Acura needs to build the "baby-NSX" they were planning on.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nostalgia rocks!
View Quote

The one single car I regret selling was my AP1 S2000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always had a thing for the original 240Z.
View Quote

Same here.

I loved my 240SX coupe
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, my garage contains a Civic Type-R.  

Before you rip on the ricer stereotypes, this car is really, really good.  The performance you get for a car under $40k (well, at least they were) is astounding.  

168mph top speed, 1.0 G skid pad ....this thing can pretty much run with anything on the road.
View Quote

Pics?  Miss my B16 swapped ‘90 CRX Si and ‘92 EG hatch
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I always liked the A70 Supras.  Friend of mine had an 89 Turbo with targa top.  Sweet car.  I thought the newer ones were ugly.

Always liked the looks of the 3000GT and the Z32 300ZX's were pretty cars.

My roommate in college had a ZR1, and another guy in our pledge class had a 93 RX7.  Always liked watching them race.  You'd hear a roar of the vette taking off down the road and out of site, and by the time they got to us the RX7 would be whizzing along a car length or two ahead of the Corvette.

90's had some sweet cars.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]
In '92 I went looking to buy a sports car.

3000GT VR4 had a $15,000 "Dealer Mark Up."  Yes, they actually had that on the sticker.  Screw that.

Test drove a 300ZXTT and actually it was kind of a slug.  Not impressed at all with the actual street performance.

BMW 325...Not sporty enough.

Then I realized that for the money I was planning on spending I could check out the Porsche dealer and bought a 944S2 Cab.  What a piece of crap.  Should have spent a little more and got the 911.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Same here.

I loved my 240SX coupe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always had a thing for the original 240Z.

Same here.

I loved my 240SX coupe
I had a 240sx coupe too. It was fantastic. Honestly I think the 240sx became the real "Z" after the Z started getting more expensive and complex by the end of the 280zx era. It's a shame nissan went to shit by the early 2000s. They used to be my favorite automaker by a big margin. Once the maxima lost it's manual they died in my heart.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Isn't lexus supposed to shoe horn a V8 into the IS?  That would be rocket basically a corolla with 450+HP
View Quote

I want an RCF baaaaadddd
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m still debating buying a GTR.  They are more than I want to spend, but I feel like now is the time to buy a fun gas powered vehicle before they all go electric and become unobtainable.  

This one is for sale near me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284150/FA9A3924-EF53-4A02-8118-90BF8D508AEA_png-1966856.JPG
View Quote

If i had the money a gtr would be in my garage right now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, it was a pretty f'ing awesome car.

https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp4276240.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would've thought Lexus would be gunning for a top spot on the sporty car manufacturers list? I can't wait to see the new Z car, and for whatever reason teenagers my son's  age are going nuts over the Japanese sports cars of the 90s. Not the supra, which has become unobtainable and is regarded as an old man's car, but you should see the drop jaw stares the 3000gt gets.

When I was a kid the big four were the 300 ZX, the 3000 GT, the RX7 and the supra. Supras are all locked up in private collections now, and the RX7 turned out to be a piece of shit and I doubt there are very many left on the road. It was an awesome car but it just didn't last.

My recollection is that they were nice, but relatively heavy for the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#37]
This brings back memories.

Back in 93 my dad got the 93 Toyota Supra turbo premiere edition (1st year new model). There was no bugde on price, he paid like over $43k on it. That was a lot back then. The man was walking on cloud 9 or something, he couldn't stop talk about it. His younger brother had a 90 Nissan 300zx turbo and man our family get together always ended up being a dick measuring contest between the two of them. My dad thought he had the bigger dick because he had 20 MORE HOURSE POWER.

I always thought the Supra was ugly back then and even now.

I got to drive that Supra quite a bit. If he knew how fast I got it to he would kill me.

Around 1998 I bought my uncle's 1990 Nissan 300z and became a Nissan Z guy ever since. I still think that is the best Z Nissan ever built. All the Zs that came after that sucked.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#38]
hummm, seems like it might have been a good idea to post pics of these supposedly great japanese cars
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The DC5 was a pretty good car let down by being the chunky younger sister to a hottie

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember as a kid the RX-7 was the tits.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP can't even post pictures.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#42]
The Z car?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The DC5 was a pretty good car let down by being the chunky younger sister to a hottie

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/0640BAB8-6E70-4BD8-A7AC-8130128157DD_jpe-1967088.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/0640BAB8-6E70-4BD8-A7AC-8130128157DD_jpe-1967088.JPG

There was a guy in my town with a JDM front end conversion on his GSR. That thing was sweet.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

They kinda did, they made the RSX a while back.

I bought one. I then proceeded to make the rear so damn stiff that on things like on-ramps the car would loose grip and rotate so i could straiten out the wheel and accelerate more without terminal understeer. I think i broke like 5 sets endlinks lol

oh and it had really aggressive squeally brakes.

my friends hated that car. lol

i ended up trading it in for a S2000. That car i absolutely loved.

As for the FD-7 , after all these years ... that car is still so damn beautiful.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#45]
My first car was a 1981 280zx T-top.  Waaaay too much car for a 16 year old, loved that thing.  

My brother has a 1993 RX7 twin turbo that was an absolute spped demon…. Until it caught fire in his workplace parking structure….

Quoted:
Coc 1 ~justsayin.
View Quote

Hey look! A COC 6 violation~justsayin, lulz.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would've thought Lexus would be gunning for a top spot on the sporty car manufacturers list? I can't wait to see the new Z car, and for whatever reason teenagers my son's  age are going nuts over the Japanese sports cars of the 90s. Not the supra, which has become unobtainable and is regarded as an old man's car, but you should see the drop jaw stares the 3000gt gets.

When I was a kid the big four were the 300 ZX, the 3000 GT, the RX7 and the supra. Supras are all locked up in private collections now, and the RX7 turned out to be a piece of shit and I doubt there are very many left on the road. It was an awesome car but it just didn't last.

Definitely,  I think the VR4 was around 3,800lbs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I bought one. I then proceeded to make the rear so damn stiff that on things like on-ramps the car would loose grip and rotate so i could straiten out the wheel and accelerate more without terminal understeer. I think i broke like 5 sets endlinks lol

As for the FD-7 , after all these years ... that car is still so damn beautiful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RSX was an Integra. They just called it the Acura RSX in the US because all the Acura cars had 3 letter names by then.

They were nice. I almost bought a Type S but when I went to sign the papers they had just taken a Milano Red Civic Si on trade. I went home with the Si the next day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nostalgia rocks!
View Quote

I had 2 S2000

Funny story...

had to fix the timing chain tensioner tick with an after market. No biggie.. IIRC it was like 4 bolts in an easily accessible place.

I was kinda in a rush though. But i got it in there. Then proceed to drive it, and i am at a stop light, and there is a little black smoke coming out engine bay

Me. Hmm thats not good But...no worries prolly didnt wipe it all down good enough. The oil will burn off in a few.

Drive a few more miles.. hit another stop light.. Now its like im rolling coal. LMAO

Pull over check the oil level.. Boy the dipstick is really clean! FUCK !

Pull in to gas station buy bunch of oil. Dump a couple of quarts in the car, every couple miles stop , check oil level - refill if needed. Finally get back home.

Take it all apart.

The stupid gasket fell out of the housing, and didn't make it in the installation. I found it on the ground.

whoopie !

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish Japan would get into the fast SUV market. There’s the Acura A-Spec RDX but it’s just “meh” for its price range. A CRV SI with the 2.0T, lowered with a painted body kit would be a hot daily.

Hyundai on the other hand is coming out with a 12-13 second crossover with Brembo brakes that was developed based on Nurburgring lap times.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
but I did recently meet a guy that imported one nearly identical to mine from Japan (RHD) a few months ago so they aren't as unobtainable as they used to be. I am a traditionalist when it comes to the new one.
View Quote
I saw a couple on an importer site for $40k, relatively low milage (It looks like someone's since snatched up a modded one he got in that was covered in evangelion wrap, but got another stock one in).

They're coming in now. They'll always command a premium now too, but that's cheaper than the crazy amounts I've seen some go for.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top