Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What to know about the role Javelin antitank missiles could play in Ukraine’s fight against Russia
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/12/javelins-ukraine-russia/
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've noticed in some pics the Russians have welded steel canopies to the tops of their tank turrets, an obvious countermeasure to Javelins.

It will be interesting to see if how effective they are.

https://i0.wp.com/cms.sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/FMsQbJMXEAAnp7j.jpg?fit=1080%2C720&ssl=1&w=800

Is that just one javelin hit? Ho lee fuk if so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

News flash…we’ve already been training with Poland, and they’re interested in buying Abrams from us.  Not to mention, we already have propositioned stock in Europe right now—just have to put them on a train to move them to their needed location, or put them on a HETT and drive them in.  No Ukrainians would be driving our equipment, unless we admit to NATO and sell them our equipment.  I don’t see this happening in the near future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So ya I get it the javelin can kill a T72

But how about this …

How much is a 40 + year old Cold War  era  Soviet MBT  worth  vs how much do these  Modern Javelin missiles  cost the US Tax payer ??

Plus maybe transport even ?? Follow the Money . Who really wins ?.

Ps Screw Putin .

How much does it cost to not take out the tank? Or the alternative of flying an Abrams over there and driving it up to the area to do the job? Javelins save money.

Do you really think we are going to fly one of our main battle tanks over there and let some potato farmers drive it around?

News flash…we’ve already been training with Poland, and they’re interested in buying Abrams from us.  Not to mention, we already have propositioned stock in Europe right now—just have to put them on a train to move them to their needed location, or put them on a HETT and drive them in.  No Ukrainians would be driving our equipment, unless we admit to NATO and sell them our equipment.  I don’t see this happening in the near future.

Are Abrams proof against Javelins or similar munitions?  Serious question.

Or is the Age of the Tank over?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most Abrams in service could be called almost impervious to a direct attack by a missile landing in the front of the tank. The newest model as an APS to shoot down direct attack missiles. Whether or not the APS works against top attack missiles is unknown.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how about this …

How much is a 40 + year old Cold War  era  Soviet MBT  worth  vs how much do these  Modern Javelin missiles  cost the US Tax payer ??

Ps Screw Putin .

How much does it cost to not take out the tank? Or the alternative of flying an Abrams over there and driving it up to the area to do the job? Javelins save money.

Do you really think we are going to fly one of our main battle tanks over there and let some potato farmers drive it around?

No, basically no tank is significantly armored on its roof.  Active protection systems are about the only viable protection from top attack.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
There is work underway for top attack protective APS.  The problem is similar to the current situation when using a system for ballistic missile defense, it can only really look up and not take care of non-high angle threats.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

You kill a tank, regardless of if it is a 1980s version of the T-72 or a more modern T-72 or T-80, and they die all the same. But you kill the crew. At a minimum likely the two dudes in the turret, and possibly the driver. How much does the tank cost? How much did it cost to put it in operation in the Ukraine? How much did it cost to train the 2 or 3 dudes who got killed when their tank was destroyed? And how much did it cost a country with an economy the size of Texas versus the #1 economy on the planet?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
A wonderful force multiplier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Russian 72's are primarily an export tank for them.  A decent tank when you are talking one middle eastern country battling another, but not when faced with modern weapon systems.
I think that some folks do not realize that Russia never gets rid of military equipment like the U.S.  They keep weapons "in case."  I am sure that they have many t-54/55s, T-62's, T-72's in stock in case.  Their T-64 tank while older is a pretty decent tank and some would say superior to the T-72.
Russian doctrine against NATO in the event of WWIII was to send in third tier armor and units first (T-54/55's and T-62's), then second tier units (T-64's and T-72's) and then finally first tier units with the best trained and equipped soldiers.  It was a process of weakening NATO with numbers and then giving NATO a knock-out punch with top units.  Also feels like Russia is using 2nd and 3rd tier units in Ukraine.
View Quote

This is bullshit. The Soviets plan was to push their premier units in first to create a breakthrough.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How much does it cost Russia to replace those tanks, if they even can? How much is it worth to bleed Russia's military dry and show the world that they're a paper tiger? How much is it worth to show the world that invading neighbors is going to be expensive?

I'm not a strategic expert by any stretch of the imagination, just musing.
View Quote

At this point I'm sure the 72 is enough of an antique model that the Russians would rather replace it with a newer tank.
I'm pretty sure they built the 72 in the thousands.
Still nice to eliminate each one from the battlefield its on.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But how about this …

Ps Screw Putin .
View Quote

You aren't figuring in the deaths and damages not caused by the killed tank.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At this point I'm sure the 72 is enough of an antique model that the Russians would rather replace it with a newer tank.
I'm pretty sure they built the 72 in the thousands.
Still nice to eliminate each one from the battlefield its on.
View Quote
The 72 and the 90 have a lot of commonalities. Kind of like the 6 versions of the M1. Someplace in Ohio or Alabama there is a field of m1 hulls waiting to be turned into modern M1A2 SEPV3 (A3) tanks. We made 6k of them, I think we field maybe 2K.  The rest are in various stages of being turned into a version to be exported or updated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel bad for the guys in the tanks that get hit, though I guess it is instant death like a light going off.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top