Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2023 12:31:13 AM EDT
Didn't Leno have a fire injury not long ago?   It appears that he recovered well.

Source

"Rivian’s electric adventure vehicles compete in a niche that they pretty much created. They do not directly compete with the Ford F-150 Lightning and its work-focused features, nor do they compete directly with GM’s hulking Hummer EV. They are adventure vehicles meant for enjoying the outdoors, and they are excellent at what they do. 

This was probably one of the reasons why automotive legend and Emmy award-winning host Jay Leno proved enthusiastic when he drove a Rivian R1S with the company’s CEO and founder, RJ Scaringe. In a recent episode of Jay Leno’s Garage, Leno and Scaringe talked about Rivian, the company’s vehicles like the EDV for Amazon, and the electric vehicle sector in general. 

Leno and Scaringe touched on several topics, with the CEO confirming that Rivian had grown to about 14,000 employees for now. Leno also talked about some of his concerns about the Rivian EDV’s range, which Scaringe noted was not really an issue because high-density markets like New York actually involve well under a hundred miles of driving in a typical eight-hour shift. The Rivian CEO did, however, highlight that there is a need to ramp battery supply to support the growth of the EV sector. "

Jay Takes A Rivian SUV For A Ride
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I dig those Rivians. They’re fire.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
They still suck.

EV = EVIL

ICE all things
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw one yesterday with some business logo on the door.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
video shot in June before his brush with fire
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Jay sure is getting old
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just found that info:

161,611 views  Jan 12, 2023
This video was shot in June 2022

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, pulling an 8K trailer, the Rivian didn’t even make it 30min to the “test hill” before needed to be recharged.
LOL

No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They still suck.

EV = EVIL

ICE all things
View Quote

You are a luddite, but I agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They still suck.

EV = EVIL

ICE all things
View Quote

I C Evil

Hay burner all the things!
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just found that info:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just found that info:

He did an interview with Corolla, looks pretty good honestly
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, pulling an 8K trailer, the Rivian didn’t even make it 30min to the “test hill” before needed to be recharged.
LOL

No thanks.
View Quote

A few years ago a friend told me they had one reserved and the plan was to trade in their diesel pickup to use the Rivian to tow a gooseneck camper.  

I was like….ahhhhhhh, how far do you think you will get and exactly how will you charge with that rig?

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer Musk over that douche.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
All EV = bondage

None of us control the switch
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
300 miles to a charge?

I easily go further than that on a tank of fuel in my 2011 Ram 1500…and it won’t take me 90 minutes to get back on the road from empty.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All EV = bondage

View Quote

Solar panels and big batteries. BIG CARS BURN BIG BATTERIES

Can you make your own gas?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Coworker has one. He’s a wiener and is obsessed with it.

Has the matching “collab” water bottle and commemorative matchbox car.

Can’t shut the fuck up about it.

And it has a name. And he only calls it by its name.

Peak douche.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uurrrhhhhhhhh. Fire Baaddddd!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Peaked at $180 in late 2021
Currently trading at $16.45
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#19]
If you like EVs, you can buy and keep an EV.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The Rivian CEO should concentrate on making sure the company lives to see 2024.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Who cares what that joke drives?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#23]
On paper, that truck is pretty impressive.

In reality, it’s front end is an acquired taste at best and no one knows if they company will be around in 3 years to service the vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
What happens if we remove the gov from all things electric vehicles?  Will they survive based on organic demand and markets, or does it take big daddy 10%?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
EV’s are the future but these things aren’t gonna be viable on any large scale for at least another 25 years yet these climate goobers keep trying to push everyone towards buying them.

Just look at Toyota CEO’s recent comments on EV’s. The world is not ready for them. The infrastructure isn’t there and the technology isn’t advanced enough.

“Toyoda doubled down on company expectations that all-electric vehicle adoption will “take longer to become mainstream” than many think. He said it will be “difficult” to fulfill recent regulations that call for banning traditional vehicles with internal combustion engines by 2035, like California and New York have said they will adopt.”
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What happens if we remove the gov from all things electric vehicles?  Will they survive based on organic demand and markets, or does it take big daddy 10%?
View Quote

They all fail and go under, but to be fair Ford, Dodge, and General Motors would be tits up by now if it weren’t for the taxpayers bailing them out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
My biggest thing is the lighting on the front of a Rivian. Looks like it’s wearing glasses.

Other that that, nice looking trucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL

No thanks.
View Quote

I saw a Rivian with TX tags in OK, on I-35, pulling an enclosed u-haul trailer at 65mph.
I wonder how far he got.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive seen more than a few rivian cars and trucks around town.  One dude must have just had the base model trim or something.  The truck looked almost just like a normal truck, with the rivian grille.  Not all stupid and flashy and futuristic like all the marketing images.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
300 miles to a charge?

I easily go further than that on a tank of fuel in my 2011 Ram 1500…and it won’t take me 90 minutes to get back on the road from empty.

View Quote

How often do you get in your 2011 Ram 1500 and drive 300+ miles without stopping?

How would it benefit you if you woke up every morning and your truck had a full tank sitting in your driveway without having to stop at a gas station every day?

As always, YMMV, but you're also measuring by what something is capable of, not how you really use it.

My mileage would vary. In an average year, I take about 1-2 road trips. Some years, I don't take any at all. And by road trip, I mean Austin to Phoenix (1000 miles) or to Tampa to visit a friend (1100 miles) or Tennessee to visit a friend (1100 miles). I cannot drive for more than 200 miles straight without having to stop to at least take a piss. Better if I can walk around a bit so my ass doesn't hurt. If I could stop and plug in for 20 minutes to get at least another 200 miles of range.

My daily driving is normally 8 miles to the datacenter, then home. Maybe 3-4 miles on lunch. Or 7 miles to the WeWork office. My grocery store is 3.5 miles away. Home Depot, WalMart... everything is within 5 miles of home. My parents live 29 miles away. The field I usually go to to fly my paramotor is about 35 miles away. An electric truck with 300 miles range, that I can "fill up" every day/night at home would work perfectly for me.

Your use case and mine might differ a little. They might differ wildly. I measure by my use case, you can measure by yours, but remember because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for many, many other people.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How often do you get in your 2011 Ram 1500 and drive 300+ miles without stopping?

How would it benefit you if you woke up every morning and your truck had a full tank sitting in your driveway without having to stop at a gas station every day?

As always, YMMV, but you're also measuring by what something is capable of, not how you really use it.

My mileage would vary. In an average year, I take about 1-2 road trips. Some years, I don't take any at all. And by road trip, I mean Austin to Phoenix (1000 miles) or to Tampa to visit a friend (1100 miles) or Tennessee to visit a friend (1100 miles). I cannot drive for more than 200 miles straight without having to stop to at least take a piss. Better if I can walk around a bit so my ass doesn't hurt. If I could stop and plug in for 20 minutes to get at least another 200 miles of range.

My daily driving is normally 8 miles to the datacenter, then home. Maybe 3-4 miles on lunch. Or 7 miles to the WeWork office. My grocery store is 3.5 miles away. Home Depot, WalMart... everything is within 5 miles of home. My parents live 29 miles away. The field I usually go to to fly my paramotor is about 35 miles away. An electric truck with 300 miles range, that I can "fill up" every day/night at home would work perfectly for me.

Your use case and mine might differ a little. They might differ wildly. I measure by my use case, you can measure by yours, but remember because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for many, many other people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 miles to a charge?

Begin sarcasm
"Silence peasant...
How dare you like something I don't like"

We have the SUV reserved, my wife drives like 60 miles per week, and we take my truck for longer trips.

This will be great for weekly grocery runs or talking the kids to the park or soccer.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw one for the first time a few weeks ago, at the time I had never heard of it, but the car sure did stand out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I've only seen 1 on the road. The guy I bought my truck from is a powertrain engineer at Rivian. He has worked at Tesla as well.

I had stock in Lordstown Motors and thought their EV truck was perfect for a job site with multiple power outlets in the drunk including 220V but I'm glad I sold at $25 a share. It tanked just like Rivian. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Begin sarcasm
"Silence peasant...
How dare you like something I don't like"

We have the SUV reserved, my wife drives like 60 miles per week, and we take my truck for longer trips.

This will be great for weekly grocery runs or talking the kids to the park or soccer.

View Quote

Perfect fit
That doesn’t work for me at all, which s why I don’t have an EV.
The government needs to stop acting like an EV is always the answer.
I guess it is if you can conform to the lifestyle our overlords imagine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've only seen 1 on the road. The guy I bought my truck from is a powertrain engineer at Rivian. He has worked at Tesla as well.

I had stock in Lordstown Motors and thought their EV truck was perfect for a job site with multiple power outlets in the drunk including 220V but I'm glad I sold at $25 a share. It tanked just like Rivian. Go figure.
View Quote

Hard to invest in something that has a massive hype premium even if it is a sound company.  Tesla is probably the biggest example of that in the history of the planet.  Very profitable, very fast growing company, yet you are still stuck with an overpriced stock making it mostly uninvestible except maybe up until only recently and even then it's not a slam dunk.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
LOL

No thanks.
View Quote

This guy has made several trips towing with a Rivian between north of Denver to Southern CA.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=out+of+spec+rivian+towing+
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Hopefully he drives it better than his jeep.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought they were a Chinese company.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#39]
My neighbor drives a rivian. He also has a different guy spending a few nights at his house 2 or 3 times a month. The funny thing is they all drive bro dozers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

When have we ever removed government from anything?  

The real problem is our government has a serious case of OCD and they're being enabled by technology.  I can only imagine how much government will dictate a hundred years from now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All EV = bondage

View Quote

YOU CAN'T BE FREE IF YOU DON'T BUY GAS FROM A GAS STATION!!

'MERICA

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Frequently actually…generally visiting family in the southern part of the state. Fill up once while at the destination.

My wife’s diesel Jeep will make the round trip, including driving around at our destination, on a single tank with fuel leftover when we get home.

ETA:

Plus I tow a travel trailer, so yeah, EV trucks are not the answer for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#43]
a need to ramp battery supply to support the growth of the EV sector. "
View Quote

chuckles in Red Chinese
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I take a couple road trips a year.  Yes, I only drive a couple hundred miles, stop a few minutes and go again.  I don't know that many EVs can even do that.  Assuming you planned stops around Tesla superchargers, I suppose you could go again in 20-30 minutes (with is at least 2-3 times longer than my typical stop).  However, that is not recommended to be done often, as it wears down the battery pack faster.

At the end of the day, EVs should be winning because they're better, not because government has chosen them.  They are a step down in capability in several major ways (they are a step up -or they could be, anyway- in some ways as well; I'd love to see a "stripper" model without all the fluff - it could be really good in terms of long-term reliability).  The horseless carriage did not displace the horse because government stepped in, but because the market decided the horseless carriage was better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Look good, my neighbor had one. He loves it. I haul so it’s a no go when we want to take the trailer or go on extended camping trips. Cool car for around town and that’s about it
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I've driven in one.  Amazing how fast it is and how hard it launches.  Owner loves it.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Solar panels and big batteries. BIG CARS BURN BIG BATTERIES

Can you make your own gas?
View Quote

some people can. Biodiesel and Ethanol. My car can be tuned to run E85 and would only need a small amount of stored gasoline.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Doesn't t the Rivian weigh 8,500lbs empty?  It's like underload all the time.  Can't escape the laws of physics.  I feel sorry for whoever gets ina accident with one.....you basically die
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My biggest thing is the lighting on the front of a Rivian. Looks like it’s wearing glasses.

Other that that, nice looking trucks.
View Quote

Think they had to pay Dyson a licensing fee?

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#50]
People Mock what they don't understand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top