Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t wish death on anyone - including DimOcrats. But I must say his family either jumped the gun on this or that old man is one tough old coot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't into politics during the 70's, 80's and 90's. What I do remember is rolling recessions during the 70's and 80's, seem to be on a three/four year cycle. In the 70's, oil embargo's, gas shortages, high gas prices. I think I ran out of gas at least a dozen times in my old 67 Impala during that period because I was broke and gas was expensive. I couldn't buy a job that was worth a shit in the early 80's. The job market was very tight and competitive. I spent my eatin' money to get a pilot license only to find layoff's at the airlines and captains walking the street (deregulation). I do remember I began to feel some relief under the Reagan admin and again under Bill Clinton admin. Back then I couldn't have told you if they were democrats or republicans, I didn't care. To me the Carter admin felt like lots of lip service and no positive changes in my AO. The most memorable part was nightly television reports of the Lebanon Hostage Crisis, as a young adult I got real tired of hearing about it non-stop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
At least he can die knowing he is no longer the worst POTUS in US history.  LGB
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People who say things like that remember the 18% official inflation rate, and if you were not one of the 8% officially unemployed, you might be able to get a 14% annual rate home mortgage. And this was because the people of this country had malaise and wouldn't work hard enough.

Meanwhile, the Army families for most enlisted were on food stamps, which were accepted at the Commissary as a now "extra benefit" of military service. Iran has a revolution and takes the personnel of the US Embassy hostage. The military mounts a rescue attempt which fails, causing great embarrassment to the US.

The CIA is reformed, to get out of the spy business because we have satellites. Some number of operatives are unmasked and a few of them murdered.

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union invades Afghanistan .... and sponsors various "liberation" groups in Central and South America - see previous paragraph. Also, South Korea and Taiwan are told off because their governments are not up to US standards.

And we negotiated giving the Panama Canal to Panama as an apology for our evil deeds of the past.

Quite an impressive four years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d love to hear your reasoning for why he’s worse than Clinton, Obama, or Biden.

People who say things like that remember the 18% official inflation rate, and if you were not one of the 8% officially unemployed, you might be able to get a 14% annual rate home mortgage. And this was because the people of this country had malaise and wouldn't work hard enough.

Meanwhile, the Army families for most enlisted were on food stamps, which were accepted at the Commissary as a now "extra benefit" of military service. Iran has a revolution and takes the personnel of the US Embassy hostage. The military mounts a rescue attempt which fails, causing great embarrassment to the US.

The CIA is reformed, to get out of the spy business because we have satellites. Some number of operatives are unmasked and a few of them murdered.

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union invades Afghanistan .... and sponsors various "liberation" groups in Central and South America - see previous paragraph. Also, South Korea and Taiwan are told off because their governments are not up to US standards.

And we negotiated giving the Panama Canal to Panama as an apology for our evil deeds of the past.

Quite an impressive four years.

His foreign policy was the absolute worst, let’s not forget the stellar Rhodesia/Zimbabwe outcome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The last Democrat who served on active duty in the US military. On a submarine, no less.

Military service should be a requirement to be POTUS. Just like being a "natural" born citizen.
View Quote

But they should have to achieve a rank higher than O-3.  Leadership matters.

ETA:

No one has mentioned how the country felt that the Soviet Union would dominate the world and we were preparing to lose an inevitable war with them.

I think all of his other horrible failures have been covered.

I don't care much about his passing - he's just another in a long line of horrible DemocRAT presidents.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When "it was decided" that Jimmy might be a candidate for President (I believe J. Paul Austin, President of Coca Cola, called David Rockefeller and told him, "I've found the perfect dupe."), Zbigneiw Brzezinski was dispatched to the Georgia Governor's mansion on West Paces Ferry Road to get Jimmy up to speed.  He made Jimmy read the New York Times aloud every day so the peanut farmer would learn something and get the lingo right.  That is why for so long when Jimmy spoke he spoke in 3 to 5 word bursts -- newspaper column length.

Zbig stuck with Jimmy as the puppet master throughout.  Zbig's daughter, Mika, is now a morning news anchor.  Zbig engineered the collapse of Iran and was responsible for the fall of the embassy.  

Some info here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/iran-blog/2015/feb/11/us-general-huysers-secret-iran-mission-declassified

If I recall correctly, the "students" were armed with Hk G3's flown in by General Huyser who lost control of them once they arrived.

When the embassy fell, to the surprise of Zbig (they were his friends!), Ambassador Sullivan, on the phone with Zbig as the embassy was attacked, said, "They are over the wall!!!!"  Zbig refused to believe it.  Sullivan screamed, "DO I NEED TO SAY IT IN POLISH?????"

In the meantime, Jimmy was busy kicking off the anti-nuclear scare, having, for some reason, activated FEMA, run by his buddy Jack Watson, some months earlier than scheduled, just in time to "manage" Three Mile Island.  And Jimmy was dropping steel tariffs and putting American Steel out of business in deference to the Japs and the Brits.  U.S. Steel became USX.

I guess you had to be here.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't wish death of him, but I'm not a fan either.  I am certain that his family will miss him, and I am sorry for what will some day be their loss.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't wish death of him, but I'm not a fan either.  I am certain that his family will miss him, and I am sorry for what will some day be their loss.
View Quote

Regardless of my opinion of the man, I agree with this.  

Thank you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

But after the announcement, also this.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don’t wish death on anyone - including DimOcrats. But I must say his family either jumped the gun on this or that old man is one tough old coot.
View Quote

Like Fransisco Franco?
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The dude was dying for the past 5 years
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The dude was dying for the past 5 years
View Quote

Really.  Shit or get off the pot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate most democrats. I don’t hate Carter.

Terrible POTUS, but a decent human. Not a criminal like they are today.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hope it’s peaceful. Obviously he had some missteps as President, but it’s undeniable that he was the last democrat president we ever had who actually cared about this country and his fellow Americans. Just look at his post-presidency career to see who he is as a man.

Such a far cry from the current crop of Democrats we’ve had since.
View Quote

Only President I ever met or shook hands with. May he go peacefully, but he was a very misguided soul as President and afterwards. Still much better than the current crop. I was at a college graduation that he attended to see his grandson or great grandson.  He got roundly booed.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top