BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, referenced that in the OP.  Again, apparently slavery is still in full swing, so we need these modern-day "heroes".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's one of the guys Antifa idolizes.

Look up John Brown Gun Club. Bunch of armed commies.
Yup, referenced that in the OP.  Again, apparently slavery is still in full swing, so we need these modern-day "heroes".

Which is ironic, since communism is slavery.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
John Brown stood with about 30 other “Free Staters”  when a force of around 250-400 Border Ruffians from Missouri (pro-slavery scoundrels) attacked Osawatomie Kansas and attempted to burn it down. During the conflict, Brown’s 26 year old son, Frederick, was killed. The battle took pace in 1856.

Wikipedia -The positive impact of the Battle of Osawatomie on the morale of the Free State cause in Kansas Territory and the nation is that John Brown quickly became, and still is, known as “Osawatomie Brown” throughout the nation and worldwide.

Free State advocates and abolitionists who were inspired by John Brown and Osawatomie’s Free State defenders increased their efforts to ensure that Kansas would enter the Union as a Free State, which helped to ensure that it did.

John Brown made the decision to start his abolitionist crusade as he watched John Reid’s men sack and burn Osawatomie following the Battle of Osawatomie. Brown was saddened that his plan to draw the proslavery forces away from Osawatomie at the Battle of Osawatomie had failed, and he determined as he watched Osawatomie burn that he would work to end slavery on a larger scale.

As he saw the smoking ruins of a small Kansas town and the body of his son, John Brown was reputed to have said,

“God sees it, I have only a short time to live — only one death to die, and I will die fighting for this cause. There will be no peace in this land until slavery is done for.”

Was he crazy? Sure. Was he on the right side of history? Absolutely in the mind of this Kansan.  Wouldn’t you be?

Now if you want “Kansas Crazy” look up Doc Jennison, Commander of the Red Leg JAYHAWK  militia.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah, good cause; just maybe cold-blooded, 1st-degree murder wasn't the best way to go about righting it.  The British ended their slavery in the 1830's, and w/o a single drop of blood shed.
View Quote
Slavery was never legal in Mainland Britain, only in her Colonies and the Crown very much so did use force and spilled blood to end slavery in her far flung Colonies. The Royal Navy was the main tool used to dispense force and shed blood.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Butt... butt... butt... my Jan 6 terrorist insurrection!!!  (Never mind that Demoncraps did this multiple times b4 this )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ashli Babbitt.
Butt... butt... butt... my Jan 6 terrorist insurrection!!!  (Never mind that Demoncraps did this multiple times b4 this )
Hey, Trump said the book should be thrown at them and never pardoned them and instead pardoned convicted murder, drug dealers, and corrupt Democrat politicians. Lincoln at least said the slaves in rebelling states were free with the Emancipation Proclamation.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know what to think about him, but this is the most ironic sign combo at Harper's Ferry.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/inCollage_20180804_112437165_jpg-2596500.JPG
View Quote

Great pic

Truly the definition of Irony.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My Great-Great-Grandfather was an Abolitionist of minor notoriety. He had been struck deaf by a childhood fever but given the opportunity to attend college on a scholarship and later travelled the Country teaching sign language to deaf students. He became an advocate for all with disabilities and I believe came to recognize Slavery as the greatest, curable handicap to a full Human life.

Interestingly, I have a copy of his personal diary of two years, written while attending school. The original is on display at the RIT Institute For The Deaf. Reading his diary, I don’t believe he was impassioned about the argument for emancipation (like John Brown was). I believe he just saw it as the natural extension of HIS argument to be treated as a full person despite being deaf.

I also have his beaver-fur top hat
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
John Brown stood with about 30 other "Free Staters"  when a force of around 250-400 Border Ruffians from Missouri (pro-slavery scoundrels) attacked Osawatomie Kansas and attempted to burn it down. During the conflict, Brown's 26 year old son, Frederick, was killed. The battle took pace in 1856.

Wikipedia -The positive impact of the Battle of Osawatomie on the morale of the Free State cause in Kansas Territory and the nation is that John Brown quickly became, and still is, known as "Osawatomie Brown" throughout the nation and worldwide.

Free State advocates and abolitionists who were inspired by John Brown and Osawatomie's Free State defenders increased their efforts to ensure that Kansas would enter the Union as a Free State, which helped to ensure that it did.

John Brown made the decision to start his abolitionist crusade as he watched John Reid's men sack and burn Osawatomie following the Battle of Osawatomie. Brown was saddened that his plan to draw the proslavery forces away from Osawatomie at the Battle of Osawatomie had failed, and he determined as he watched Osawatomie burn that he would work to end slavery on a larger scale.

As he saw the smoking ruins of a small Kansas town and the body of his son, John Brown was reputed to have said,

"God sees it, I have only a short time to live   only one death to die, and I will die fighting for this cause. There will be no peace in this land until slavery is done for."

Was he crazy? Sure. Was he on the right side of history? Absolutely in the mind of this Kansan.  Wouldn't you be?

Now if you want "Kansas Crazy" look up Doc Jennison, Commander of the Red Leg JAYHAWK  militia.

View Quote

Frederick Brown's grave site in Osawatomie.

John Brown and his men had camped on the hill just north of Osawatomie on the grounds where the modern day Osawatomie State Hospital (mental health facility) now stands. They were expecting an attack from the east.  On the morning of the battle; Frederick rode to his uncle Samuel Adair's cabin just west of town for breakfast.  At the cabin site, he ran into the pro-slavery militia advancing on Osawatomie from the west.  One of the men recognized who he was and killed him.  There is a marker there today placed by Mary Adair who was only 5 years old at the time but had witnessed the shooting.  It is said that this memory was seared into her mind and she became a driving force behind the creation of John Brown park, which is the site of the Battle of Osawatomie and the moving of her family's cabin to the park and preserving it.  It is now a small museum.  John Brown cabin    Frederick Brown's body was moved to this location and re-buried along with three other men who died in the battle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]

And that's the MSM crop of that wonderful mural.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File
The site where Frederick Brown was killed.

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Slavery was never legal in Mainland Britain, only in her Colonies and the Crown very much so did use force and spilled blood to end slavery in her far flung Colonies. The Royal Navy was the main tool used to dispense force and shed blood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, good cause; just maybe cold-blooded, 1st-degree murder wasn't the best way to go about righting it.  The British ended their slavery in the 1830's, and w/o a single drop of blood shed.
@Miami_JBT

Hey, glad to see you're still around, haven't seen you much as of late.  We of the .40 S&W true believers miss your support.  Expect you're busy now with your NRA duties.

Can you give me some details about this?  Wiki doesn't specify any violence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

John Brown and his men had camped on the hill just north of Osawatomie on the grounds where the modern day Osawatomie State Hospital (mental health facility) now stands. They were expecting an attack from the east.  On the morning of the battle; Frederick rode to his uncle Samuel Adair's cabin just west of town for breakfast.  At the cabin site, he ran into the pro-slavery militia advancing on Osawatomie from the west.  One of the men recognized who he was and killed him.  There is a marker there today placed by Mary Adair who was only 5 years old at the time but had witnessed the shooting.  It is said that this memory was seared into her mind and she became a driving force behind the creation of John Brown park, which is the site of the Battle of Osawatomie and the moving of her family's cabin to the park and preserving it.  It is now a small museum.  John Brown cabin    Frederick Brown's body was moved to this location and re-buried along with three other men who died in the battle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276115/2011-03-20_12_41_32_jpg-2598592.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Brown stood with about 30 other "Free Staters"  when a force of around 250-400 Border Ruffians from Missouri (pro-slavery scoundrels) attacked Osawatomie Kansas and attempted to burn it down. During the conflict, Brown's 26 year old son, Frederick, was killed. The battle took pace in 1856.

Wikipedia -The positive impact of the Battle of Osawatomie on the morale of the Free State cause in Kansas Territory and the nation is that John Brown quickly became, and still is, known as "Osawatomie Brown" throughout the nation and worldwide.

Free State advocates and abolitionists who were inspired by John Brown and Osawatomie's Free State defenders increased their efforts to ensure that Kansas would enter the Union as a Free State, which helped to ensure that it did.

John Brown made the decision to start his abolitionist crusade as he watched John Reid's men sack and burn Osawatomie following the Battle of Osawatomie. Brown was saddened that his plan to draw the proslavery forces away from Osawatomie at the Battle of Osawatomie had failed, and he determined as he watched Osawatomie burn that he would work to end slavery on a larger scale.

"God sees it, I have only a short time to live   only one death to die, and I will die fighting for this cause. There will be no peace in this land until slavery is done for."

Was he crazy? Sure. Was he on the right side of history? Absolutely in the mind of this Kansan.  Wouldn't you be?

Now if you want "Kansas Crazy" look up Doc Jennison, Commander of the Red Leg JAYHAWK  militia.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276115/2011-03-20_12_41_32_jpg-2598592.JPG
Thanks for your contributions.  As expected from your screen name, you do know your stuff about this.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh.  So far as I know, every country had slavery.  Never understood the wailing & gnashing of teeth over American slavery, but not Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or every other country's slave trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like any other disease (and slavery was a disease) it had origins that preceded him.  You could consider slavery our fatal flaw.
Meh.  So far as I know, every country had slavery.  Never understood the wailing & gnashing of teeth over American slavery, but not Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or every other country's slave trade.

Because we imported people from another continent on an industrial scale.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Megalomanical fanatic, IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Megalomanical fanatic, IMHO.
A zealot, to be sure.  But that is not, in and of itself, a bad thing:

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
-Barry Goldwater

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He opposed slavery so he murdered and butchered men, women, and children in that cause.  He became a martyr to the American people and we fought a war in his cause that ended slavery.  I think he's burning in hell but there's no more slavery so...
View Quote
I'm pretty certain he didn't kill any women or children; they were pretty careful about that.  Cite?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Loved the audiobook.
Two more recomendations:

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You know it's funny you mention the second one.  Found a copy of "Narrative" at the flea market for $1, & reading it now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know it's funny you mention the second one.  Found a copy of "Narrative" at the flea market for $1, & reading it now.
View Quote

Hearing it read aloud by a black man added value for sure.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]
It's entirely possible to think "slavery is wrong" and also be a mentally ill murderous wackjob.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to absolve the trade, but in fact we did it on a very “cottage” scale compared to the main importers of African slaves. North America accounted for about 4% total of the trade from 1500 to 1900.  This is very often poorly understood and overlooked.  The French and British (to Caribbean colonies), Spanish, and Portuguese took the vast lion’s share of the Atlantic trade. The Arabian and Indian trade was also not trivial.

Sorry the legend is poor, but these are net outflows proportionally, 1500 to 1900:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FJB
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
He was a demon possessed that along with Lincoln rate high in the mass murder top 10. Together they killed over 600 thousand Americans. The devil and his instruments Sent too many to an early grave. Many before they were able accept the Lord. The trauma that those men on both sides suffered during and after the war to. The great mighty union is the result of the total corruption in our land today with the government in your pocket demanding you obey them and not God.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I understand his body lies a'moulderin' in the grave.
View Quote

But his soul is tormented for eternity in the bowels of hell.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
He was a lunatic crusader who sacrificed his sons' lives for his own moral cause and his own ego.

They shouldn't have hung him. They should have burned him alive.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's entirely possible to think "slavery is wrong" and also be a mentally ill murderous wackjob.
View Quote

I'd say that sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Miami_JBT

Hey, glad to see you're still around, haven't seen you much as of late.  We of the .40 S&W true believers miss your support.  Expect you're busy now with your NRA duties.

Can you give me some details about this?  Wiki doesn't specify any violence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

Thanks.
View Quote
@M1907Sling

It was the Colonies that had a scuffle about it. A lot.of it was dealt with locally, rather quickly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not to absolve the trade, but in fact we did it on a very "cottage" scale compared to the main importers of African slaves. North America accounted for about 4% total of the trade from 1500 to 1900.  This is very often poorly understood and overlooked.  The French and British (to Caribbean colonies), Spanish, and Portuguese took the vast lion's share of the Atlantic trade. The Arabian and Indian trade was also not trivial.

Sorry the legend is poor, but these are net outflows proportionally, 1500 to 1900:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556465/AF1C74EE-BED4-4182-B03B-AE4C6471CE69_png-2600192.JPG

View Quote
Say, that's really great.  Thank you.

Think I got a better pic, b/c that's surn'thail an important point:

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, I suppose you're right.  In our boy Johnnies' defense, tho, the pro-slavery side did draw first blood.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like any other disease (and slavery was a disease) it had origins that preceded him.  You could consider slavery our fatal flaw.

Sold by their fellow Africans on an industrial scale.  Nobody is blameless.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know what to think about him, but this is the most ironic sign combo at Harper's Ferry.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/inCollage_20180804_112437165_jpg-2596500.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

No, this is the most ironic at Harper’s Ferry
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Kind of a 19th century Jihadi.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
John Brown is the textbook definition of a man who did the wrong things for the right reasons.

That being said, I'll shed no tears over the deaths of those who sought to make Kansas a place where people could be held as chattel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top